ADVERTISEMENT

Rebels Nickname Stands

LasVegasReb

All American
Feb 16, 2005
Bellevue, WA
STATEMENT FROM UNLV PRESIDENT LEN JESSUP CONCERNING ‪#‎HEYREB‬:

Hello Campus Community,

There have been times throughout the year when the subject of the UNLV nickname – “Rebels” – and/or the UNLV mascot Hey Reb! – has been a topic of conversation, beginning in the summer and most recently this month. In June, I commissioned the university’s Chief Diversity Officer, Dr. Rainier Spencer, to conduct a thorough analysis and report his findings to me.

Since that time, Dr. Spencer has met individually and in focus groups with students, employees, alumni, and members of the community to collect their perceptions on both the nickname and mascot. He also researched archives both on campus and off dating back to our university’s earliest days to construct the most complete timeline to date on this part of our history. I have carefully reviewed Dr. Spencer’s full report.

In summary, findings include:
There is overwhelming support to use the term “Rebels” as our nickname.
There is strong support for Hey Reb! as our mascot, although some believe it is offensive in its connotation.
I have also considered the many conversations I’ve had with stakeholders on and off campus about UNLV’s mascot and associated symbolism. Here is how I believe we should move forward:

Rebels
We must keep the term “Rebels” as our nickname. It was coined as our young institution was fighting to establish its own identity, and it has come to represent the very independence and spirit that embodies both UNLV and Southern Nevada. Through its history as a community, Las Vegas has also adopted the spirit of a rebel, defying convention and applying its entrepreneurial spirit to achieve things others said were not possible. It is clear that “Rebels” is central to our shared identity and represents the broadest definition of the term. This must remain unchanged.

Hey Reb!
From the historical analysis you can see that UNLV students and administrators in the 1970s removed the university’s original mascot, the wolf Beauregard, because of its Confederate symbolism. Hey Reb! was then created in 1982 specifically with the guiding principle that it be free of any Confederate symbolism and representative of the rebellious spirit synonymous with our region’s history.

Since its introduction in 1982 as a mascot for athletics, the western pioneer Hey Reb! has grown into an iconic symbol of our university. Some, however, have voiced concern that the mascot doesn’t fully represent the university’s diversity mission and I respect their position. I believe we should keep Hey Reb!, but we should evaluate the need to freshen the mascot’s costume and related marketing images, which has been done approximately every ten years since its inception. The last update occurred in 2006.

Preserve our history
We have placed interpretive signage near what we believe to be the last remaining physical representation of the mascot Beauregard – which clearly had ties to the Confederate South – on the wood floor of the Barrick Museum (site of the university’s original gymnasium). This signage provides context to the image’s place in our history and also clarifies that we have disavowed any reference to the Confederacy and any type of connection with the current mascot. Rather than trying to erase our history, we must accept it, learn from it, and as we move on, strengthen our resolve for equity and inclusion.

Rebel Yell newspaper
I have asked Dr. Spencer to approach the Advisory Board of the student newspaper – Rebel Yell – and request an evaluation regarding a name change, given the roots of the term with the Confederate South. This decision is ultimately up to the student leaders and the advisory board for this independent newspaper.

These decisions may not please everyone and I steadfastly support diversity of opinion. I am always willing to listen to different ideas. I have been impressed with the thoughtful and passionate dialogue that has taken place. It is appropriate to pause and reflect from time to time to ensure we are on the right path, just as our forward thinking students and administration did in the 1970s with a similar debate.

We all share the same goal to make UNLV the best university possible – one that conducts path-breaking research, provides a great student experience, and is tightly connected with the community. Thank you to everyone who provided their thoughts and comments on this matter.

I also want to thank Dr. Spencer for all the time and energy he dedicated to this project. His research adds historical context and is an important foundation to inform future conversations among those at the university and in our community. Further, I want to restate this university’s commitment to diversity and inclusion. We have made progress this past year but need to continue our efforts in this area.

Cordially,

Len Jessup, UNLV President

Fought the good fight though. Deserves credit for that.
I wouldn't have stopped being a fan, but honestly, losing the nickname... I would have been incredibly disappointed. The reason for losing it wouldn't have mattered so much, but having it shoved down your throat and changed? Wouldn't have sat well with me at all.

It's a HUGE part of the identity. It would have felt so uncomfortable.

I'm glad logic dictated here.

I wouldn't have stopped being a fan, but honestly, losing the nickname... I would have been incredibly disappointed. The reason for losing it wouldn't have mattered so much, but having it shoved down your throat and changed? Wouldn't have sat well with me at all.

It's a HUGE part of the identity. It would have felt so uncomfortable.

I'm glad logic dictated here.
Same here. Continued support but not sure I would have been crazy about our new politically correct inoffensive Joshua Tree mascot 'Hey Yucca'

Should anyone care to truly understand the nickname 'Rebels' and Hey Reb along with commentary of multiple 'listening' meetings conducted with students, university commuters, student organizations and key figures in community and university, a link to UNLV's recent findings and conclusions is listed below.

It is a 60-page detailed and comprehensive report of the evaluation of the nickname 'Rebels' and Hey Reb specifically in response to concerns of confederate and civil war connotations.

This is the report was supplied by Chief Diversity Officer who has a doctorate in African-American Studies from Emory University and current UNLV professor of African-American Studies. Additionally he founded UNLV’s African-American Studies Program 15 years ago as well as a pioneering founder of the scholarly field of Critical Mixed-Race Studies. This report was conducted at the request of President Jessup following the Harry Reid response over the summer.

http://m.reviewjournal.com/educatio...eb-mascot-rebel-nickname-not-tied-confederacy
Full Report is downloadable from article.

It's an interesting report that evaluates two key questions as well as supplies analysis of 'listening' meetings, conclusions and recommendations.

Key Questions
  1. Is the Rebels nickname a Confederate reference?
  2. Does Hey Reb! have a Confederate connection?

Last edited:
The way Pres. Jessup describes "Rebel," as suitable for LV & Southern Nevada explains it well for me:

"Rebels
We must keep the term “Rebels” as our nickname. It was coined as our young institution was fighting to establish its own identity, and it has come to represent the very independence and spirit that embodies both UNLV and Southern Nevada. Through its history as a community, Las Vegas has also adopted the spirit of a rebel, defying convention and applying its entrepreneurial spirit to achieve things others said were not possible. It is clear that “Rebels” is central to our shared identity and represents the broadest definition of the term. This must remain unchanged."

I can see where the rebel image fits UNLV, LV, & Southern NV. I also agree with him that the HeyReb! mascot should have a different look. I'm ok w/ all of this. Thanks, Bullmastiff for acknowledging my right to express my opinion on this board.

The way Pres. Jessup describes "Rebel," as suitable for LV & Southern Nevada explains it well for me:

"Rebels
We must keep the term “Rebels” as our nickname. It was coined as our young institution was fighting to establish its own identity, and it has come to represent the very independence and spirit that embodies both UNLV and Southern Nevada. Through its history as a community, Las Vegas has also adopted the spirit of a rebel, defying convention and applying its entrepreneurial spirit to achieve things others said were not possible. It is clear that “Rebels” is central to our shared identity and represents the broadest definition of the term. This must remain unchanged."

I can see where the rebel image fits UNLV, LV, & Southern NV. I also agree with him that the HeyReb! mascot should have a different look. I'm ok w/ all of this. Thanks, Bullmastiff for acknowledging my right to express my opinion on this board.
I like that you have a different opinion and that's the only way progress can be achieved. So, don't take my exuberance on the debate as a condemnation but more as a strong interest and opinion on the matter.

In regard to your thoughts on changing the Hey Reb mascot, please read page 57 and on of the report (as well as specifics of the events and discussions leading up through the original discontinuation of Beauregarde and the creation of Hey Reb). I find the CDO thoughts on the matter interesting, eye opening and agree wholeheartedly although I could not explain what he so eloquently concluded.

"Rebels

The entire report is long but well worth for you to read. I started petering out at the end but you really need to read the report in its entirety. I thought I knew most about the Rebels nickname and Hey Reb but this could be considered academic in its approach and detail.

By the way, the CDO calls out and blames the university for partly creating this problem of misinterpretation.

The entire report is long but well worth for you to read. I started petering out at the end but you really need to read the report in its entirety. I thought I knew most about the Rebels nickname and Hey Reb but this could be considered academic in its approach and detail.

By the way, the CDO calls out and blames the university for partly creating this problem of misinterpretation.
I tried to download the report, but, I get a message, "This link is not valid." All I can say re: Hey Reb! is that for a rebel, the old guy is, well, old. Need to update the image to a younger person, a little more hip.

Here you go Sonny,

Old Hey Reb vs New Hey Reb

unlv-rebels.jpg
516gJmIbgsL._SY355_.jpg

Reactions: bcvegaspt

"Rebels

Thats what these boards are for, discussion, observations and debate.

If you want to see the inspiration for Hey Reb, Google search for Kit Carson, Pawnee Bill and Buffalo Bill. While I'm sure there are others, you can easily see where the artist of Hey Reb based his creation. These individuals all sport a leather long coat with fringe, big hat, and sport a big mustache and or goat (may even carry rifle).

Numerous examples of western and Nevada pathfinders or pioneer men exist. You may not like using a pioneer or a pathfinder as the mascot inspiration or present incarnation but there are not of options here.

I personally like that the mustache has become so iconic in regard to the Rebels mascot. However, as the report states, the 'stache is likely one of the elements that may be the culprit as association of a southern 'colonel' reb character. Report goes on to warn of such innocuous physical attribute associations and the slippery slope that comes with it (where does it end?).

Nevertheless, my point is...love or hate Hey Rebs design but if thrown out then is a new Rebel would need to be created. So is it just a redesigned pathfinder-explorer-mountainman or is it a whole new type of Rebel? If new type, then do we move any from any real association with Las Vegas or southern Nevada?

This is the same problem that the university faced when initially created a new mascot in the 70's and 80's.

e4413da2d
http://photos.legendsofamerica.com/oldwestexplorers/e4413da2d

Kit Carson

Christopher Houston "Kit" Carson (December 24, 1809 – May 23, 1868) was an American frontiersman. The few paying jobs he had during his lifetime included mountain man (fur trapper), wilderness guide, Indian agent, and American Army officer. Carson became a frontier legend in his own lifetime.

In the 1840s, he was hired as a guide by John C. Fremont. Fremont's expedition covered much of California, Oregon, and the Great Basin area. Fremont mapped and wrote reports and commentaries on the Oregon Trail to assist and encourage westward-bound American pioneers. Carson achieved national fame through Fremont's accounts of his expeditions.

Under Fremont's command, Carson participated in the uprising against Mexican rule in California at the beginning of the Mexican-American War. Later in the war, Carson was a scout and courier, celebrated for his rescue mission after the Battle of San Pasqual and for his coast-to-coast journey from California to Washington, DC to deliver news of the conflict in California to the U.S. government. In the 1850s, he was appointed as the Indian agent to the Ute Indians and the Jicarilla Apaches.

During the American Civil War, Carson led a regiment of mostly Hispanic volunteers from New Mexico on the side of the Union at the Battle of Valverde in 1862. When the Confederate threat to New Mexico was eliminated, Carson led forces to suppress the Navajo, Mescalero Apache, and the Kiowa and Comanche Indians.

Carson was breveted a Brigadier General, and took command of Fort Garland, Colorado. He was there only briefly: poor health forced him to retire from military life. Carson was married three times and had ten children. The Carson home was in Taos, New Mexico. Carson died at Fort Lyon, Colorado, of an aortic aneurysm on May 23, 1868. He is buried in Taos, New Mexico, next to his third wife Josefa Jaramillo.

e4413da2d
http://photos.legendsofamerica.com/oldwestexplorers/e4413da2d

Kit Carson

Christopher Houston "Kit" Carson (December 24, 1809 – May 23, 1868) was an American frontiersman. The few paying jobs he had during his lifetime included mountain man (fur trapper), wilderness guide, Indian agent, and American Army officer. Carson became a frontier legend in his own lifetime.

In the 1840s, he was hired as a guide by John C. Fremont. Fremont's expedition covered much of California, Oregon, and the Great Basin area. Fremont mapped and wrote reports and commentaries on the Oregon Trail to assist and encourage westward-bound American pioneers. Carson achieved national fame through Fremont's accounts of his expeditions.

Under Fremont's command, Carson participated in the uprising against Mexican rule in California at the beginning of the Mexican-American War. Later in the war, Carson was a scout and courier, celebrated for his rescue mission after the Battle of San Pasqual and for his coast-to-coast journey from California to Washington, DC to deliver news of the conflict in California to the U.S. government. In the 1850s, he was appointed as the Indian agent to the Ute Indians and the Jicarilla Apaches.

During the American Civil War, Carson led a regiment of mostly Hispanic volunteers from New Mexico on the side of the Union at the Battle of Valverde in 1862. When the Confederate threat to New Mexico was eliminated, Carson led forces to suppress the Navajo, Mescalero Apache, and the Kiowa and Comanche Indians.

Carson was breveted a Brigadier General, and took command of Fort Garland, Colorado. He was there only briefly: poor health forced him to retire from military life. Carson was married three times and had ten children. The Carson home was in Taos, New Mexico. Carson died at Fort Lyon, Colorado, of an aortic aneurysm on May 23, 1868. He is buried in Taos, New Mexico, next to his third wife Josefa Jaramillo.
I was essentially born and raised in Nevada and all my education was in the state. Because of that, we became pretty well versed with Kit Carson and John C Fremont. And I had always pictured Hey Reb as an edition of those types of guys. Hey Reb was always a frontiersman/pioneer type to me.

From the outside, I can understand not knowing this. I don't think most people outside of Nevada have a clue or can remember what they were taught about either of those men, if they were taught at all.

To me, growing up Nevada, it was pretty seamless and made perfect sense.

Nevertheless, my point is...love or hate Hey Rebs design but if thrown out then is a new Rebel would need to be created. So is it just a redesigned pathfinder-explorer-mountainman or is it a whole new type of Rebel? If new type, then do we move any from any real association with Las Vegas or southern Nevada?....

Appears to be a moot point now, as it should be, but if we had to start over, then use a Las Vegas personality as the Rebel. Jackie Gaughan was a Rebel. So was Tark. How about making the "Rat Pack" & Elvis the mascots. In any case, the mascot could be pretty sophisticated and fun at the same time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam-I-am
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT