ADVERTISEMENT

Q and A with Shawn Marion

RebelScrub

Making UNLV relevent again for locals
May 29, 2001

Possibly the last great Juco player ever?

Also, I’m pretty sure he could have guarded Larry Johnson..

What do you think?

Possibly the last great Juco player ever?

Also, I’m pretty sure he could have guarded Larry Johnson..

What do you think?
Larry would have abused him. As good as Shawn was and as good as he was defensively, Larry would have pinned him against the stanchion. Huge strength difference.

Larry would have abused him. As good as Shawn was and as good as he was defensively, Larry would have pinned him against the stanchion. Huge strength difference.
Man, I liked Shawn’s game a lot. But in no way whatsoever does his jersey belong in the rafters. Great one year UNLV career. Outstanding numbers, great player to watch. But you can’t play for one year and be an NIT team loser to Nebraska for a 16-13 record, get personally pumped by Sasser in a three-sweep by SMU … and get your number hoisted. JR Rider didn’t accomplish nearly enough in his couple of years and he’s more deserving than SM.

Caveat - I don’t consider NBA career as to whether their number should be retired … it’s work at UNLV.

If he’s looking to have his number retired, he’s gonna have to wait in line.

Shawn Marion when he got drafted..ghosted everyone, including his former teammates.

He got a new phone number, didn’t want to be bothered. His teammates weren’t expecting a handout or free money..

That’s what I heard from someone close to the situation.

I don’t know shit about basketball and I’m a little biased because Shawn Marion is closer to my age, but I’m going to have to roll with the Matrix.

Rebounding- Shawn. He’s a human pogo stick.
Shooting- LJ
Defense- Marion.if he could guard Lebron, I think he could hold his own against LJ
Transition-Shawn..sure LJ was an excellent finisher as a trailer but I think Shawn was just a little bit faster and LJ’s bulkier size would have been at a disadvantage in guarding the Matrix.

I’ll tell you what, this would have been a bad ass matchup In their prime

I don’t know shit about basketball and I’m a little biased because Shawn Marion is closer to my age, but I’m going to have to roll with the Matrix.

Rebounding- Shawn. He’s a human pogo stick.
Shooting- LJ
Defense- Marion.if he could guard Lebron, I think he could hold his own against LJ
Transition-Shawn..sure LJ was an excellent finisher as a trailer but I think Shawn was just a little bit faster and LJ’s bulkier size would have been at a disadvantage in guarding the Matrix.

I’ll tell you what, this would have been a bad ass matchup In their prime
It’s not even so much as Larry won a championship here. But Larry played against some of the very top competition in the land. And he came out on top. Not only that, there were so many times when it was evident that he was a man among teens. Just dominant.

And we saw Shawn put up some big numbers. But the OOC under Bayno was nothing like under Tark … and even when Shawn put up great numbers in a game, you’re like “wow, this dude is good” …. But you were never really but with “whoa! He’s a man among boys” that happened with Larry so often.

It’s not even so much as Larry won a championship here. But Larry played against some of the very top competition in the land. And he came out on top. Not only that, there were so many times when it was evident that he was a man among teens. Just dominant.

And we saw Shawn put up some big numbers. But the OOC under Bayno was nothing like under Tark … and even when Shawn put up great numbers in a game, you’re like “wow, this dude is good” …. But you were never really but with “whoa! He’s a man among boys” that happened with Larry so often.
You gotta admit..Bayno f’d it up “why isn’t the ball in Marion’s hands more?” As the article states

Marion was gonna go pro anyways so he was just coasting as a Rebel.

Man, I liked Shawn’s game a lot. But in no way whatsoever does his jersey belong in the rafters. Great one year UNLV career. Outstanding numbers, great player to watch. But you can’t play for one year and be an NIT team loser to Nebraska for a 16-13 record, get personally pumped by Sasser in a three-sweep by SMU … and get your number hoisted. JR Rider didn’t accomplish nearly enough in his couple of years and he’s more deserving than SM.

Caveat - I don’t consider NBA career as to whether their number should be retired … it’s work at UNLV.

Ok, that being said.

What about Wink Adams In the Rafters one day?

I say yes and I believe he recently got inducted into the Southern Nevada Sports Hall of Fame, Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Ok, that being said.

What about Wink Adams In the Rafters one day?

I say yes and I believe he recently got inducted into the Southern Nevada sports Hall of fame did he not.
That would be something I could totally get behind. Wink was huge helping us to two postseason appearances. He will probably be the last great 4-year player we'll ever have.

Reactions: Knight Rebel702
You gotta admit..Bayno f’d it up “why isn’t the ball in Marion’s hands more?” As the article states

Marion was gonna go pro anyways so he was just coasting as a Rebel.
The league didn’t run anything for Shawn either.

I mean other than maybe some back screens for a lob or something like that, what are you really going to run for Shawn? He was a very reactionary player, a huge strength of his, nose for the ball type of guy.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Marion is an interesting case.

Because his is an ELITE roll player. He does everything you want as a complementary player. But he is not a primary option, never all that good at creating for himself. Especially not in college.

LJ was a primary option.

However none of that matters for a one and done program with a for a somewhat disappointing season. And yes NBA career should not be a deciding factor. It can be part of the equation, but it should be more about how that player performed while at the school.

And he was still a very good player. But not rafters good, not for one year only.

Prime 31 year old Shawn Marion against a prime LJ preback injury..

I think it’s closer than you guys think.

Prime 31 year old Shawn Marion against a prime LJ preback injury..

I think it’s closer than you guys think.
Though neither is a recency … you can’t call it a recency bias … maybe it’s a maturity bias? You were, what, 10 when LJ played at UNLV and probably 19 when Marion played at UNLV? You’re certainly going to see things differently at those ages.

Or maybe you’re right and I’m off my rocker and defer to the glory days as unimpeachable.

Though neither is a recency … you can’t call it a recency bias … maybe it’s a maturity bias? You were, what, 10 when LJ played at UNLV and probably 19 when Marion played at UNLV? You’re certainly going to see things differently at those ages.

Or maybe you’re right and I’m off my rocker and defer to the glory days as unimpeachable.
I don’t think Prime Shawn Marion was the one at UNLV..but we can agree that prime Larry Johnson was the guy before back injury.

Just wanted to make that clear.

Man you’re getting old, I was in the 8th grade when UNLV won the championship. I was a freshmen when they lost to Duke.

I moved to Vegas from Memphis back In the summer of 1985 so I was 9 years old.

So I was like a 13 year old freshman in high school for like a couple of days before my birthday on September 4th.

And yes I’m willing to concede LJ was a very underrated defender.

And yes, Marion would probably have gotten eaten up by LJ in the post.

Reactions: the Florian Trout
Pre back injury LJ would have been one of the best players is the NBA. He was rookie of the year, An All star twice. Being an undersized 4. He could have been the next Charles Barkley, potentially better. A true go to player in the NBA.

Pre back injury LJ would have been one of the best players is the NBA. He was rookie of the year, An All star twice. Being an undersized 4. He could have been the next Charles Barkley, potentially better. A true go to player in the NBA.

Good find!

Funny to see Jordan complain about a travel in NBA, he is the reason that most travels do not exist in the NBA anymore!

Also the ticky tack fouls he got, especially for back then.

Remeber LJ and MJ were about the same height, and LJ probably had more length. Obvisously MJ was quicker, but LJ did a good job then ( at least for that game).

Also remember this is Jordan near his prime, with Larry being a 2nd or 3rd year player who was just getting going at the time.

Good find!

Funny to see Jordan complain about a travel in NBA, he is the reason that most travels do not exist in the NBA anymore!

Also the ticky tack fouls he got, especially for back then.

Remeber LJ and MJ were about the same height, and LJ probably had more length. Obvisously MJ was quicker, but LJ did a good job then ( at least for that game).

Also remember this is Jordan near his prime, with Larry being a 2nd or 3rd year player who was just getting going at the time.
Look closely, there’s another Rebel at the game, can you spot him?

I don’t think LJ was underrated as a defensive player. I just think he was subpar on that end, sans defensive rebounding. He didn’t spend a lot of effort on the defensive end. In the clips you showed, he did defend about as well as a guy his size can defend the most unguardable player in NBA history. That looked like pride, that looked like stepping up to the challenge.

But maybe more telling is he drew 5 fouls on MJ (don’t know if LJ drew all of them). Now MJ was awesome defensively, if you drew that many fouls on him, you made him work his ass off which can take away from some of that offensive energy. I don’t recall MJ being in foul trouble all that often. Too smart, too good defensively.

You have to retire the jersey for the Most Valuable Player for any Final Four NCAA Championship team. Not even subject to debate IMO. Retire Anderson Hunt’s jersey NOW!
Hunt’s Jersey should have been retired within an LJ, Stace, Greg timeframe.

Yes they were “better”, they had lengthy and successful NBA careers.

We got 4 years from Stacey, 3 from Greg, 2 from LJ. We got three years from Hunt ….

I believe Hunt’s NCAA tournament record is 13-2 or something along those lines? And MOP? And a huge game in the other final four?

I refuse to believe that he wasn’t every bit as important/integral to the UNLV program as Stacy, Larry and Greg.

I think he had 12 points in the decisive 18-0 run in the second half vs Duke.

Hunt’s Jersey should have been retired within an LJ, Stace, Greg timeframe.

Yes they were “better”, they had lengthy and successful NBA careers.

We got 4 years from Stacey, 3 from Greg, 2 from LJ. We got three years from Hunt ….

I believe Hunt’s NCAA tournament record is 13-2 or something along those lines? And MOP? And a huge game in the other final four?

I refuse to believe that he wasn’t every bit as important/integral to the UNLV program as Stacy, Larry and Greg.

I think he had 12 points in the decisive 18-0 run in the second half vs Duke.
Every starter was important. Heck, David Butler played a key role too going 15.8 ppg and 7.6 rpg his senior year and posting similar numbers as a junior. The 1990 team still hold the record for the most lopsided Final 4 victory. Put Butler in too! All 5 are national champions and deserve to hang in the rafters together.

Every starter was important. Heck, David Butler played a key role too going 15.8 ppg and 7.6 rpg his senior year and posting similar numbers as a junior. The 1990 team still hold the record for the most lopsided Final 4 victory. Put Butler in too! All 5 are national champions and deserve to hang in the rafters together.
I agree 100%

I’m getting old. What was his number, Double 0? Edit**

I agree, David butler was way superior to George Ackles.

Those practices back the. Must have been brutal since they had to have been facing off with each other.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT