ADVERTISEMENT

No Pharaoh Compton

They had a Pharoah head dress at the hat store inside planet Hollywood for 35 dollars..

Save me some money for now..

The recruiting pitch from KK was not well received. The pitch lacked substance and KK mentioned that he knew Pharaoh wasn’t coming.
This must be someone from the Arbor View camp because only they would know this 🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: LVRebel2000
The recruiting pitch from KK was not well received. The pitch lacked substance and KK mentioned that he knew Pharaoh wasn’t coming.
What is the substance that the Compton's camp looking for? I thought Pharaoh and DJJr were planning on playing together?

That’s the difference between legit D1 experienced coaches that know how to navigate recruiting and an inexperienced coach.
The best recruiter I have ever seen at UNLV was an assistant from another school. Was he a legit DI coach? Bill Bayno was the best recruiter I have ever seen at UNLV.
What was the pitch the Compton's camp expecting? Guaranteed starting position or the NIL?

Last edited:
You never want to hear that your recruiting feels like it's phoned in, and just because you can't promise as much as other guys, doesn't mean you shouldn't have a big idea of what his role is going to be, what support and growth opportunities you and your staff can offer him, the advantages of being in a rebuilding program and what the plans for that program are. Especially if you can't come with the cash other places can.

But...

There's only so many front court guys you have room for on that 2024 roster. Pape will be a 5, Evans will probably be a 3 in a big line up or a 4 in a small lineup. You'll also have Whaley, Cottrell, and the project big Bannerbie. Do we probably need another solid player? Probably, but it's clearly not our top prority. Your backcourt is going to need some love. 2024 you'll need a capable backup SG and you might want to find a PG who doesn't mind being a developmental player.

And unfortunately, there are times we're going to lose players because Kruger is still learning to play the game, because we don't have as much investment because of our lack of success. Start winning, getting some real TV games again, start dancing regularly and the program will start having a lot more equiety they can offer.

I would have loved Compton, but Krugs has gotten 2 top 150 front court guys, which is pretty solid historically. And it looks like we're in real competition to get Makhan Diouf.

Pharaoh moved to Vegas for his senior year for a reason. Why the changed of heart? I am literally confused.
Just look at Jayden Maivai, he moved back to Vegas and attending UNLV. No guarantee. Now he is starting and kicking as$ for UNLV and on one of the hottest team in the country. Cream will rise....you cannot hide it.

Last edited:
The best recruiter I have ever seen at UNLV was an assistant from another school. Was he a legit DI coach? Bill Bayno was the best recruiter I have ever seen at UNLV.
What was the pitch the Compton's camp expecting? Guaranteed starting position or the NIL?
I agree with you…Bayno was an unbelievable recruiter (in tougher times than current times) but he’s an exception not the rule! If the HC is not a strong recruiter he better line himself with assistants that are and the jury is out still out on KK’s assistants. I hope KK proves to be the coach we all want him to be cause I don’t want to have to go through another search that produces meh results.

You never want to hear that your recruiting feels like it's phoned in, and just because you can't promise as much as other guys, doesn't mean you shouldn't have a big idea of what his role is going to be, what support and growth opportunities you and your staff can offer him, the advantages of being in a rebuilding program and what the plans for that program are. Especially if you can't come with the cash other places can.

But...

There's only so many front court guys you have room for on that 2024 roster. Pape will be a 5, Evans will probably be a 3 in a big line up or a 4 in a small lineup. You'll also have Whaley, Cottrell, and the project big Bannerbie. Do we probably need another solid player? Probably, but it's clearly not our top prority. Your backcourt is going to need some love. 2024 you'll need a capable backup SG and you might want to find a PG who doesn't mind being a developmental player.

And unfortunately, there are times we're going to lose players because Kruger is still learning to play the game, because we don't have as much investment because of our lack of success. Start winning, getting some real TV games again, start dancing regularly and the program will start having a lot more equiety they can offer.

I would have loved Compton, but Krugs has gotten 2 top 150 front court guys, which is pretty solid historically. And it looks like we're in real competition to get Makhan Diouf.
Have no idea what the pitch was/is as I wasn’t the OP but there is a ton of talent in the valley and we need to keep some of them here.

I agree with you…Bayno was an unbelievable recruiter (in tougher times than current times) but he’s an exception not the rule! If the HC is not a strong recruiter he better line himself with assistants that are and the jury is out still out on KK’s assistants. I hope KK proves to be the coach we all want him to be cause I don’t want to have to go through another search that produces meh results.
And what about the second best recruiter, who was a life long assistant as well. Dave Rice? Tark with all of this greatness, was not a good recruiter. He was great at coaching and everything else...he was the best in all college ball. He was not as good as Bayno or Rice....and these two were great because partly due to Tark's reputations and accomplishments.
I want to know why the f*ck a kid moved to a Vegas HS and UNLV cannot lock his commitment? Kevin want him and DJJr to play together. Something changed?

Last edited:
And what about the second best recruiter, who was a life long assistant as well. Dave Rice? Tark with all of this greatness, was not a good recruiter. He was great at coaching and everything else...he was the best in all college ball. He was not as good as Bayno or Rice....and these two were great because partly due to Tark's reputations and accomplishments.
Rice aligned himself with outstanding recruiters and as you mentioned was a great recruiter himself. He was smart enough to do that!

Rice aligned himself with outstanding recruiters and as you mentioned was a great recruiter himself. He was smart enough to do that!
Your comments about how CKK is not a legitimate DI coach to win a recruiting battle is not debatable. Today recruiting involves heavily on the NIL and "guarantees". The great ones needs no guarantees but a chance to show their skills. So, it boils down to NIL and money for the camp. Good for them. We dont care why you dont chose UNLV but dont say that our coach is not a legitimate coach because he never been a coach.

One more thing. There are coaches I feel that actually developed players and coach them up. While I witnessed coaches like Bayno and Rice recruits the best in the nation, I dont think they developed them.

The coaches that developed players best:
Tark of course. Armon Gilliam was a football player? As an example. So many others. If anyone care to educate us, please post.
Spoonhour Sr. He known for it.
Lon Kruger...any doubts as he convert Renee Rougeu into a player. for example.

Last edited:
Your comments about how CKK is not a legitimate DI coach to win a recruiting battle is not debatable. Today recruiting involves heavily on the NIL and "guarantees". The great ones needs no guarantees but a chance to show their skills. So, it boils down to NIL and money for the camp. Good for them. We dont care why you dont chose UNLV but dont say that our coach is not a legitimate coach because he never been a coach.

One more thing. There are coaches I feel that actually developed players and coach them up. While I witnessed coaches like Bayno and Rice recruits the best in the nation, I dont think they developed them.

Tark of course. Armon Gilliam was a football player? As an example. So many others. If anyone care to educate us, please post.
Gilliam was a wrestler in HS. That’s my recollection. Recruited by Grg. So was LJ. Hunt too. Grg was Tark‘s chief recruiter and was responsible for a lot of Tark‘s roster. Along with Warkentien. Grg IMO was the best recruiter in UNLV history. Also, he had an eye for talent regardless of ranking.

Also, you 💯. Today it’s all about NIL money.

Gilliam was a wrestler in HS. That’s my recollection. Recruited by Grg. So was LJ. Hunt too. Grg was Tark‘s chief recruiter and was responsible for a lot of Tark‘s roster. Along with Warkentien.
Coach Tark was not the greatest recruiter. He just pick some special one that he sees: Chris Herren at FSU, Skip of my Lou (Refer Alston) was another...I love Coach Tark and misses his passion.
He did love DeDan Thomas. I love him too. DeDan was quick and smart...

My scouting report for Pharaoh Compton: Kid is 6'6 at 225 and undersized PF. He got long arms and play with innate qualities that we like at a college PF. At the NBA level, he is 6'6 with no outside shots......good luck

CKK building depth and spacing in the roster. Long way to go till the 2024 rosters are completed. DT and Hicks as freshmen this year. Cottrell a soph this year. Two 4* players in Evans and Pape coming in next year. Starting to build a core of quality highly rated players. What’s not to like about the recruiting. This isn’t 2021 anymore. Recruiting is rolling and Kruger isn’t an inexperienced HC anymore.

CKK building depth and spacing in the roster. Long way to go till the 2024 rosters are completed. DT and Hicks as freshmen this year. Cottrell a soph this year. Two 4* players in Evans and Pape coming in next year. Starting to build a core of quality highly rated players. What’s not to like about the recruiting. This isn’t 2021 anymore. Recruiting is rolling and Kruger isn’t an inexperienced HC anymore.
Well, you gotta start winning at some point. Future recruiting classes, promising expected returners … they don’t save coaches.

Well, you gotta start winning at some point. Future recruiting classes, promising expected returners … they don’t save coaches.
Yeah, I think we're actually over-recruiting for what our performance has been--I think success puts butts in seats which makes people want to give the program money in NIL and donations. 2023 was a #50 recruiting class with everyone counted (transfers in and out), and so far this year we're in the low 30s with two signings. I think a lot of us were worried that having multiple options would hurt attendance, but the women's program actually turned a profit this year and the WNBA is outdrawing the Men's Basketball team. By a lot. If you win in this city people will come--you just have much fewer diehards who would attend no matter where the program was at.

Kevin is going to have to make noticeable strides this year, or his seat is going to be searing hot, and if we take a step back he just might be gone.

Reactions: j. spilotro
Gilliam was a wrestler in HS. That’s my recollection. Recruited by Grg. So was LJ. Hunt too. Grg was Tark‘s chief recruiter and was responsible for a lot of Tark‘s roster. Along with Warkentien. Grg IMO was the best recruiter in UNLV history. Also, he had an eye for talent regardless of ranking.

Armon was a high school wrestler (actually quit wrestling to try basketball) but was more well known for his football talent. Several eastern and ACC programs recruited him in football as a tight end

He was actually discovered by Mark Warkentien at the 83 national Juco tournament. Mark was there to support Spoon James and was looking at some other players like Curtis Moore who ended up at Nebraska. Mark liked his size and thought he could be a solid role player. When they found out Armon was from Pittsburgh that was when Gerg got involved.

Gerg was mostly known for his outstanding player development, but while not on the level of Warkentien was definitely an under rated recruiter. Discovered Stacey Augmon and Dedan Thomas. Brought in Gary Graham, Paul Brozovich and Armon.

While they ultimately did not come to UNLV he discovered Damon Flint and was the lead for Reggie Williams. Even when he was at the NBA level, he was big on Jamal Crawford before he exploded and told Jerry about him when he was head coach at Fresno State.

Armon was a high school wrestler (actually quit wrestling to try basketball) but was more well known for his football talent. Several eastern and ACC programs recruited him in football as a tight end

He was actually discovered by Mark Warkentien at the 83 national Juco tournament. Mark was there to support Spoon James and was looking at some other players like Curtis Moore who ended up at Nebraska. Mark liked his size and thought he could be a solid role player. When they found out Armon was from Pittsburgh that was when Gerg got involved.

Gerg was mostly known for his outstanding player development, but while not on the level of Warkentien was definitely an under rated recruiter. Discovered Stacey Augmon and Dedan Thomas. Brought in Gary Graham, Paul Brozovich and Armon.

While they ultimately did not come to UNLV he discovered Damon Flint and was the lead for Reggie Williams. Even when he was at the NBA level, he was big on Jamal Crawford before he exploded and told Jerry about him when he was head coach at Fresno State.
Thank You, EB..your inputs always appreciated. You have said that you are not the real Ernie Baer but your knowledge of Tark's and UNLV histories is unqestionably vast

Reactions: pdt118
Absolutely need to win but the discussion and my response was about recruiting. So what’s not to like about recruiting? You could go with the “you don’t want to over recruit“ answer.

Wow Reb fans will find anything to complain about.

I’d say “wow, UNLV fans are easily satisfied nowadays”. But to each their own.
You usually have no problem expressing yourself. So back to the question at hand, what about recruiting? Also who is satisfied? You want to reframe everyone else’s answers or put words in their mouths. I can speak for myself.

You usually have no problem expressing yourself. So back to the question at hand, what about recruiting? Also who is satisfied? You want to reframe everyone else’s answers or put words in their mouths. I can speak for myself.
Recruiting seems just fine, even good. I’m not worried about not getting Pharaoh at all. This isn’t recruiting of even 10 years ago …. Players leave so easily, the portal is the primary recruiting vehicle, especially for non-powers. And now NIL is the hugest tool and we get low read on that and from other schools. Before you could look at rosters, playing time, etc … as the main factors. Now it’s NIL and that’s largely an unknown. So recruiting is just so different now, it used to be able to change quickly, now it can change in a millisecond.

So when I look at our roster, I don’t think of who are we going to lose and then count the seniors. It can be any number. And when I look at who has committed, that’s just a flimsy. And when there’s a player not even on our radar, he can be in a few seconds. It’s just different, less reliable, rosters are more unstable just by the nature of where we are with things.

When it’s harder to get a substantive read on a situation, I guess it just generates less excitement for me personally. Because it’s far more unstable.

When we have set rosters, then it’s easier to look at the season, but just that particular upcoming season (can’t extrapolate for 4 year career for any player anymore). Not as fun or interesting to me personally.

Can I ask who brought in Eldridge Hudson? What was his skillset prior to his injury? He looked like he emulated his game after Magic Johnson.

Can I ask who brought in Eldridge Hudson? What was his skillset prior to his injury? He looked like he emulated his game after Magic Johnson.

Mark Warkentien was the primary for Eldridge Hudson.

The Magic comparison was definitely discussed at the time given Eldridge’s size and handle. He would drive Jerry crazy at times in 82-83 but you could see the potential. The knee injury first suffered against Utah was a huge blow to that season as Eldridge’s playmaking ability could not be replaced.

Have always said he deserves a lot of credit re-eventing his game as he was not a good defender coming out of high school, but post knee injury knew he had to if he was going to see minutes. High probability he would have been a first round pick had it not been for the knee injury.

Me sitting here waiting for Minnesota to drop the bag this offseason for Dutch...

Mike Ehrmantraut Waiting GIF by Better Call Saul

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT