ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year

WarthogRebel

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Sanchez needs needs two things for next season. A quarterback and a defense.

QB - Who will replace Decker? No idea, but I don't think it should be Pallendeck (sp?)

Defense - This years team was a 7 win team with an average mountain west defense and a healthy QB. At the start of this game we were ranked 105 in total defense. Only Hawaii was worse than us as far a Mountain West teams. At the beginning of the year we were defending adequately. I believe it was based on raw emotion. Emotion can cover flaws in football but it is very hard to sustain for a season. About mid season it came tumbling down.

You need at least an average defense to win. This has been the major problem with UNLV football for years. Unless you have some new scheme that opposing coaches haven't figured out or you have a savant QB you need defense to win. Wyoming average 17 points a game and we gave up 35. You can't win football that way.

I think Sanchez can convince quality QB's to give us a look and we may pick up a couple of decent one's. He'll be able to sell a vision. (at least for another year - maybe two) But I don't know what he's going to do about our "D". It will be interesting to watch.

Reactions: RebelinWA
I like the young players we have coming back on defense. Before they wore down you could see the skill being there. Add some depth and I really think we can be adequate for 12 games, not just 9.

QB - like you I'm optimistic that Sanchez will convince someone to run his offense with possible spells from Kurt. Also, we won't have only two active QB's to choose from. We'll have about 4 depending on potential transfers, etc. (I added one recruit and anticipate all QB's to return in my guesstimate).

Reactions: RebelinWA
QB-We will land a solid JUCO commit that can challenge and most likely win the job in spring. There are a number of guys on the radar and somebody should fall to us. Can't say we will be better next year but hard time believing it will be worse.

Defense: Pass rushers. Especially at defensive end. DB's were forced to cover way to long. LB needs an upgrade at speed. Will Levi was right, we are way to slow at the second level. Last year I thought our struggles vs the run were due to the D-Line not playing well. This year our LBs got exposed a lot. We are either to small or to slow.

The practice facility will get done(I hope) and even just having it in the planning stages should help in recruiting.

I think having boyd around will be a nice selling point to QB recruits as well :sunglasses:
Boyd, Keys come back. Pressley started getting more looks as sesson wore on. Woods I think redshirted this year. Pressley should become more involved next year. We are also bringing in M. Wimberly a JUCO kid who put up some really nice numbers this year. Our WR corp should be better next year. Criswell and Williams are both gone. Neither ever really established themselves during their time here. Each had some moments but weren't particularly consistent.

WR will again be a strength, now its a matter of just getting more consistent QB play.

Reactions: bornreb89
For Christmas the Rebels need: a quarterback(s), a stud right tackle, a mean heavy and strong defensive end, one more Defensive lineman, a couple of strong and fast linebacker, and maybe one more safety.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
For Christmas the Rebels need: a quarterback(s), a stud right tackle, a mean heavy and strong defensive end, one more Defensive lineman, a couple of strong and fast linebacker, and maybe one more safety.
Plus, a secondary that can tackle.

Ah forgive my mistake. Yes we need corners. In fact with the exception of a couple of the secondary pieces, we need almost a complete overhaul. That or they need to find a combination that works. Depth depth depth.

I think the secondary will be solid with the addtion of a few bodies at Safety. Hough and Mouton are Freshman and made their share of mistakes but both have nice potential. Lets see what Miles does as a senior after being beat out this season. McTyer will be a senior but might be surpassed as a starter.

Coming into the mix next year will be Javin White, Evan Austrie, Sofi Afalava (I could also see him at OLB or Safety) and Chazz Eldridge. All of these guys RS this season and with the Addition of Mike Adams from Laney it will be interesting to watch this group on the spring and see who fills out the 2 deep.

Need to add some speed at the LB level. Having a healthy Tau and experienced MacAleenan will help but we need some burst at this level. As has been mentioned all season we need a real overhaul at DE. Valoaga, when healthy is a nice piece, but we need to find a few guys who can get to the QB on a consistent basis.

Ah forgive my mistake. Yes we need corners. In fact with the exception of a couple of the secondary pieces, we need almost a complete overhaul. That or they need to find a combination that works. Depth depth depth.

The secondary had some mistakes for sure. I think a lot of the big plays and issues they had this year revolved around a lot of youth at the CB position. The bigger issue was the semblance of any kind of pass rush. They had to cover way to long. QBs were constantly throwing from clean pockets.

We have either got to find some guys at defensive end or linebacker that can bring pressure off the the edge.

Next to QB that is our biggest need.

JMHO >
RECRUITING PRIORITIES >
1. Get Johnny Stanton!
2. Land DEs, at least 3 with one JUCO.
3. Land LBers, at least 4 with one JUCO
4. Land OLs, at least 5 plus an excellent transfer potentially coming in.
5. Land 2 TEs plus an excellent transfer potentially coming in.
6. Land DTs, at least 2
7. Land a JUCO safety
8. Fill in the rest with the best reasonably possible at the other positions

Sam-I-Am,

right now we have 4 OL (Caldwell, Garcia, Brayton, Outlaw) Commited. I expect at least one JUCO added to this mix. (also get Zach Singer added to this group)

(2) TE's already commited in Gio Faulo and Tim Holt-JUCO.

At Safety, Mike Adams-Laney College is committed. I wouldnt mind seeing one more JUCO player in the secondary.

Need to hit DL hard with JUCO for immediate depth/help. Rodney Jones DE- committed.

Already have 3 WR committed in JUCO Wimberley and CJ Harris and Elijah Trossclair.

Staff is off to a nice start but I would love to get a few more commits from JUCO players after his heavy recruiting weekend. There will be a good amount of players on campus this week. Would love to have a QB lined up in the next few weeks.

Sam-I-Am,

right now we have 4 OL (Caldwell, Garcia, Brayton, Outlaw) Commited. I expect at least one JUCO added to this mix. (also get Zach Singer added to this group)

(2) TE's already commited in Gio Faulo and Tim Holt-JUCO.

At Safety, Mike Adams-Laney College is committed. I wouldnt mind seeing one more JUCO player in the secondary.

Need to hit DL hard with JUCO for immediate depth/help. Rodney Jones DE- committed.

Already have 3 WR committed in JUCO Wimberley and CJ Harris and Elijah Trossclair.

Staff is off to a nice start but I would love to get a few more commits from JUCO players after his heavy recruiting weekend. There will be a good amount of players on campus this week. Would love to have a QB lined up in the next few weeks.
Singer is going to play DT.
I'm pretty confident that Stanton commits this weekend.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Good to know on Singer. He has played on both lines in spring and fall and thought he would stick at OG but he has experience at DT so it makes sense. I would be more than happy if we landed Stanton.

Also looks like the Staff is in pretty good with Armani Rogers, article I read stated he wants to enroll early as well which is huge for a QB if he can get in school for spring ball. This is a big weekend for visitors. Would like to see a few more guys commit after or during the weekend.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Already with 3 local kids committing including Garcia & Caldwell both 3* and Donovan Outlaw who is raw but has good size and athleticism. Also have a verbal from a kid Matt Brayton out of California who was recognized as the top OL kid in his conference.

That gives us 4 plus at least 1 if not 2 JUCO kids.

Reactions: Sam-I-am
Looks like JC mid year guys can sign their LOI's from Dec 16-Jan 15. Everybody else can sign from Feb 3- April 1. There is always a day where the coach will announce his entire incoming players and I am not sure but am thinking it would be Feb 3. I noticed that someone in another post mentioned that Anthony Zepeda played some DE in the last game. I was talking with one of the dad's during fall camp and we were both talking about how thin we were on the defensive line and how many TE's we had. All of them big and fast and we were talking about how there could be some good DE's in that group. Looks like the O line will be in good shape next year or at least really starting to move in the right direction especially with Will Kreitler out there to lead the guys into battle. And on the D Line Singer is gonna be the guy that rallies everybody. He is a great leader that all the guys look to. We need a big time playmaker at linebacker & safety on defense and on offense we gotta have a QB and someone special to make plays whether he comes out of the backfield or slot. Marcus Sullivan could have been that guy once if he could have ever stayed healthy. God rest his soul Tenpenny could have been that guy next year. Looking forward to spring practice. I will once again be out there with my Rebel colored glasses to give my most optimistic critique of what I see going on!

I hope there comes a day in the very near future when we can stop saying 'next year'

Looks like JC mid year guys can sign their LOI's from Dec 16-Jan 15. Everybody else can sign from Feb 3- April 1. There is always a day where the coach will announce his entire incoming players and I am not sure but am thinking it would be Feb 3. I noticed that someone in another post mentioned that Anthony Zepeda played some DE in the last game. I was talking with one of the dad's during fall camp and we were both talking about how thin we were on the defensive line and how many TE's we had. All of them big and fast and we were talking about how there could be some good DE's in that group. Looks like the O line will be in good shape next year or at least really starting to move in the right direction especially with Will Kreitler out there to lead the guys into battle. And on the D Line Singer is gonna be the guy that rallies everybody. He is a great leader that all the guys look to. We need a big time playmaker at linebacker & safety on defense and on offense we gotta have a QB and someone special to make plays whether he comes out of the backfield or slot. Marcus Sullivan could have been that guy once if he could have ever stayed healthy. God rest his soul Tenpenny could have been that guy next year. Looking forward to spring practice. I will once again be out there with my Rebel colored glasses to give my most optimistic critique of what I see going on!
I look forward to and appreciate your Rebel colored glasses critiques.

100% agree, obviously QB is a need. After that, speed off the edge on the defensive line and at linebacker are the next two big needs.

Oline despite losing guys may be better next year. Wide receiver should be improved. Running back is in great shape.

I feel better heading into next year than I did to start this year.

Sanchez talked about recriuting on his final REBZONE. Said to expect a full class of 24-25 and probably 7-10 JUCO, hoping they are all mid-year guys.

Entering spring we will only have (not counting JUCO guys yet) 4 Scholarship WR (Boyd , Keys, Presley, Woods). Said he expected to bring in 3 or 4 at that spot. Wimberly , Harris and Trosclair are committed but we might see one more added to that group.

Also made mention of DL being a big focus , as we all have. Focus should be on the edge. With Singer joining, Hughes, Fao, Dehdashtian, Baldwin and Wily the interior looks to have some depth. Obviously some of these guys can move outside for certain situations.

I like what I saw from Zepeda at DE. He moved well and did start his career under Hauck at that spot. Interesting to see what we get from young guys like Salazar and McCoy after a year of development under the new staff. Really need to find speed off the edge from the JUCO ranks for an immediate impact guy. Valaoga , when healthy, is a solid player at one DE spot.

Another spot that will/should be heavily addressed is LB. We have some experience at the posisiton but need some new blood for depth and speed. Staff is going all in after Brian Keyes (currently committed to UAB).

Safety has one commit in Mike Adams but I would like to see one more CB or Safety brought in from JUCO to add some maturity to what will be a young group. Devron Davis will be visiting this weekend and he fits the bill.

Would love to see some commits this weekend so the overall class picture will be even clearer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT