ADVERTISEMENT

Next Saturday vs SJSU

On their turf and a back up QB....UNREAL!!! Tony Sanchez is the real Mutherf%king deal!~

Reactions: GoRebs!
I'm going to do my best to be there. I was already planning on hopefully being at the game next week.

It was great seeing the Rebels beat Reno in their stadium.

I'm hoping to see sources/rationale for the projection, but this is a steaming pile of crap. F this town.

Someone might know, but are the majority of high school players and parents getting to the games?... or being promoted to do so? If not - WHY!? Anything to bump that up a notch...Discounted tickets...free. It's always good to see another level of football and examine your position... etc.... How many high school players are in the valley? Will- you might know the exact numbers... are you still around? And lets say maybe a parent on top of that for each kid...
Okay, now that I guestimate the numbers maybe it's not a huge number, but at least they would be more aware of when to get loud and could educate the rest of the crowd.

Someone might know, but are the majority of high school players and parents getting to the games?... or being promoted to do so? If not - WHY!? Anything to bump that up a notch...Discounted tickets...free. It's always good to see another level of football and examine your position... etc.... How many high school players are in the valley? Will- you might know the exact numbers... are you still around? And lets say maybe a parent on top of that for each kid...
Okay, now that I guestimate the numbers maybe it's not a huge number, but at least they would be more aware of when to get loud and could educate the rest of the crowd.
From what I understand high school football players get free tickets. I will confirm with my buddy, his son plays freshmen ball.

I would think that would be an NCAA violation. If you give out free tickets to HS football players and their families, you would have to give tickets to every high school kid and their families for free.

I know the HS coaches get free tickets, but not sure about the players.

I would think that would be an NCAA violation. If you give out free tickets to HS football players and their families, you would have to give tickets to every high school kid and their families for free.[/QUOTE

Actually no, it would be if they were only giving tickets or benefits to an individual player/family. I think they are ok if it is made available to entire team/teams.

Just confirmed with my buddy.

High School Coaches turn in their rosters to UNLV. Kids go to a table to check in and get their tickets. They do it for baseball as well. My buddy says his son gets three tickets for the game. I figure they give three so Mom and Dad can come.

How is our stadium not packed with this type of promotion.

Honestly I hate to say it, but maybe Las Vegas doesn't deserve or want or care to have a successful college football program.

I know winning can cure a lot of ills, but when you consider free tickets for students, cheap season tickets, all kinds of different promotions and we can't average 20k?!?! it speaks volumes to the fact that maybe this is as good as its going to get.

I know everybody is going to chime in about an on campus stadium, and yes that might help but....Mark my words if that stadium gets built, students will be asked to pay for season tickets just like all other big time conferences/programs. Let's see how much support that gets.

I try to be as realistic as possible and put as much of a positive spin on things as I can, but the more you think about it, the more disappointing/depressing it is.

Reactions: RebelBuzz
I say do two for one tickets for LVPMD, LVFD and Nellis Air Force employees. They need to show ID at the gate so not to "purchase for others" although if they go to this length who cares.

As a consultant I can honestly tell you, it's not how many great ideas you come up with, it's about implementing and executing them. If UNLV doesn't have a team of sales people and marketers to support the program, it doesn't matter that the program exists.

UNLV Marketing has always been a shyt show. That's why TKM canned most of them and the other half left. I thought it would it get better. I still have hope.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I say do two for one tickets for LVPMD, LVFD and Nellis Air Force employees. They need to show ID at the gate so not to "purchase for others" although if they go to this length who cares.

As a consultant I can honestly tell you, it's not how many great ideas you come up with, it's about implementing and executing them. If UNLV doesn't have a team of sales people and marketers to support the program, it doesn't matter that the program exists.

UNLV Marketing has always been a shyt show. That's why TKM canned most of them and the other half left. I thought it would it get better. I still have hope.
I really hope you are right.

If the Rebs keep building the crowd will grow exponentially over time. It will be slow at first because we're talking about a program that has won only 2 games for virtually the past decade. And has had mostly misery for the past 30 years.

As hungry as Las Vegas is to win by the diehard unwavering core of about 17,000 fans, it is also true that UNLV's football fan base has been sorely neglected by the university for a long, long time, as they've invested minimal resources into the program and tolerated embarrassment year after year. UNLV football has been broken for decades.

Oooh Child Finally UNLV is putting a plan in motion, and things are beginning to turn around. We can see it already. But it's going to take time before 30,000+ fans start flocking to the stadium on a weekly basis. The program is working diligently now to establish respect, not only around the MWC and around the country, but also very much among our own local fan base.

Sanchez has the right approach; keep the course, keep building and keep moving forward. The number of fans will grow exponentially as wins pile up. This is only the start of the journey, not the final result. As long as the program moves upward and forward it won't be long before Sam Boyd starts rocking.

Last edited:
I'm curious if the tweet stating expected crowd of 17K means that the current ticket sales are around 14-15K. That would be a punch in the nuts. Las Vegas needs to have a crowd of at least 20K to show improvement.

I agree with the sentiment regarding past seasons affecting the current attendance. As a Las Vegas native, I'm just having a hard time understanding why there aren't more people going to the game.

Even my friends who are graduates of UNLV are likely not going. Although they were once ardent attendees, they just prefer to not go, not care or watch from their house. I get really pissed about this but like the other post stated, it's going to take time.

I still think UNLV hasn't done enough, invested enough, been creative enough to draw fans out in game day. They need to up the ante and get some headliners or something. Sanchez may have embraced Las Vegas into the team, but UNLV still hasn't stepped up marketing and entertainment wise. We are the entertainment capital of the world for god sakes. BE CREATIVE.

I agree, I would like to see more marketing, and more pomp and circumstance around the game day festivities.

If I was in charge I would work with the mayor of Henderson and organize a parade right down Water Street in downtown Henderson with the UNLV marching band cranking and all of the cheerleaders on Saturday mornings, letting the whole town know it's game day. After the UNLV Parade on Water Street there would be a huge tailgate set up and a rock-n-roll band performing on a stage hyping up the game all day. Then at 6pm the game kicks off at Sam Boyd.

I've been recruiting a few people to the games each week. My parents, lifelong UNLV fans who attend every game, for the very first time in their life travelled up to Reno for the game last week because my dad was so pumped after the Idaho State game. He said he wanted to go to Reno because it was the first time he felt like we could actually win.

The Rebels just need to keep playing well and keep winning games, frankly. Winning will do wonders over time. But UNLV marketing needs to dial it up much more in the meantime.

Just confirmed with my buddy.

High School Coaches turn in their rosters to UNLV. Kids go to a table to check in and get their tickets. They do it for baseball as well. My buddy says his son gets three tickets for the game. I figure they give three so Mom and Dad can come.

How is our stadium not packed with this type of promotion.

Honestly I hate to say it, but maybe Las Vegas doesn't deserve or want or care to have a successful college football program.

I know winning can cure a lot of ills, but when you consider free tickets for students, cheap season tickets, all kinds of different promotions and we can't average 20k?!?! it speaks volumes to the fact that maybe this is as good as its going to get.

I know everybody is going to chime in about an on campus stadium, and yes that might help but....Mark my words if that stadium gets built, students will be asked to pay for season tickets just like all other big time conferences/programs. Let's see how much support that gets.

I try to be as realistic as possible and put as much of a positive spin on things as I can, but the more you think about it, the more disappointing/depressing it is.

I feel your frustration - big time!
Maybe the UNLV marketing could remind ALL the high school coaches and players about this ticket deal. I would guess that the vast majority of players and coaches don't know or have forgotten about it. Nothing like a friendly reminder in your face to ask for support in what you play and coach for!
I think this was mentioned before, but don't they bus the students in too?? -- Is this highly promoted around campus? I'm just confused now...

Last edited:
There are billboards, Rebzone, radio spots, weekly coaches show (radio), but we need to have more people informed? They have a message on the athletics website promoting $14 tix. besides Sanchez driving around and putting people in the back of his truck what else can be expected?

I am not on campus but the electronic billboards above the parking lots are hard to miss. My understanding is the RTC runs from Campus to the stadium, free for students , during a certain time leading up to the game and after the game.

There are billboards, Rebzone, radio spots, weekly coaches show (radio), but we need to have more people informed? They have a message on the athletics website promoting $14 tix. besides Sanchez driving around and putting people in the back of his truck what else can be expected?

I am not on campus but the electronic billboards above the parking lots are hard to miss. My understanding is the RTC runs from Campus to the stadium, free for students , during a certain time leading up to the game and after the game.
I get your point, but I think that the marketing department's job is more than "informing" people that there is a game on Saturday. I think marketing is doing a fine job telling the community "Hey, there is a game on Saturday," but could do a lot more to convince us "You can't miss the game on Saturday."

There were ideas tossed around for the Idaho State game. Here are some more:

- $5 tickets, any seat. For season ticket holders or those that bought higher-price tix beforehand, offer a free pretzel/popcorn/beverage per ticket.

- Free alumni tickets. Any UNLV Grad gets 1 free ticket and a 1/2 price 2nd ticket. (This is the same deal current students receive).

- Family package. Up to 4 free tickets with the purchase of 2 full-price tickets.

These aren't long-term ideas. I'm just throwing ideas out there that can help accelerate the bandwagon-jumping-on process. This staff has us on a trajectory to fill SBS in 2-3 years. Why not take some short-term losses to help you get to the goal faster?

The "Game Day" experience and overall atmosphere is the bigger hurdle to overcome, imo.

The advantage of having a stadium on campus in the middle of town is the ability to hold game day festivities, all day long, that draw people in and promote the game, with kickoff in the stadium being the main event. "Game Day" needs to be more than just the game itself. Far more students would get involved, tailgaters, alumni, etc. if UNLV had that arrangement. That's how it's done on most college campuses.

Without that luxury, those who want to attend drive out to Henderson to watch just the game. There's very little "Game Day" atmosphere. That's why I think UNLV should focus on rallying the Henderson area with a parade, concerts, food, etc.

They have the "Free" Rebel Block started this year, which is a step in the right direction. It will take time. 2 Wins is still not enough to cure all the apathy this program faces. Just keep on the right path and it will start to get better as the year moves on.

The "Game Day" experience and overall atmosphere is the bigger hurdle to overcome, imo.

The advantage of having a stadium on campus in the middle of town is the ability to hold game day festivities, all day long, that draw people in and promote the game, with kickoff in the stadium being the main event. "Game Day" needs to be more than just the game itself. Far more students would get involved, tailgaters, alumni, etc. if UNLV had that arrangement. That's how it's done on most college campuses.

Without that luxury, those who want to attend drive out to Henderson to watch just the game. There's very little "Game Day" atmosphere. That's why I think UNLV should focus on rallying the Henderson area with a parade, concerts, food, etc.
Good points. Having lived in Vegas all my life, and with little exposure to other programs, I guess I'm just used to no "Game Day" hoopla, and I just go to the games. But a better pre-game experience could definitely help bring in more casual/social fans.

Last few posts were all really good and each contained a little bit of the truth.

I think if you combine RebelBuzz and RebelBucks sentiments you have the ideal situation. I think Buck is right there is probably enough marketing, but Buzz is also right it needs to get better. Not sure who remembers the TV spot UNLV did a few years back for the football team, where essentially the message was screw you we don't need you if you don't want to come out to the games.

I also agree with DocRebel as well, they need to create more of an 'event' feeling around game day. The students have to be a part of this though and create some of their own traditions.

I hate to sound like Will Levi here but if attendance numbers don't improve to an average of at least 20k-25k in the next two years what would be the point of a new stadium? I would rather sit at Sam Boyd with 15k empty seats than in some shiny new facility with 30-40k empty seats. It would be an embarrassment to the University if you could only get 20-25k fans in a 50k seat stadium.

As excited as I am from what I see on the field and what coach Sanchez has brought to the program, I am not so sure that Las Vegas as a whole cares whether or not it has a successful college football program.

I know this has been said in the past, but just spend the money and pave the damn parking lot. Even if the new stadium happens, it won't be built for 3 years. Pave the lot, design it so that its tail gate friendly with multiple small pieces or islands of land dedicated to more tailgating. Build a couple nice rest stations that replace port o pottys. Build areas for horse shoes, corn hole, ping pong. Invest $3M and make it part of the transition cost to the new stadium.

This is a process. The die hard supporters will be there. What most dont realize is just how far behind this program was off the field. Sanchez has gone about this the right way, trying to improve the structure/foundation first. Money went where it needed too, not going to Ely, new uniforms/practice gear. More staff members in Stregth/Conditioning, more Grad Assistants. Charter flights to away games.

The product on the field is moving in the right direction as well. Despite early results this team plays hard and with guts. We are now at a stage where more success this season will lead to all the things we want to see. Packed house at Sam Boyd, more featured TV games which in turn brings in more money for Promotions and Marketing.

Like most on this board I would rather enjoy the ride from the beginning of the process..

Fan interest is the biggest uphill battle UNLV and Coach Sanchez are up against.

Fan attendance will get better. I fully believe it will.

Much of Vegas has been conditioned over the decades to not take UNLV football seriously or to simply not care. I really can't blame the fans because it's been that bad and it's sad UNLV allowed it to get and stay at that point for decades.

But we're going in a very new direction now. We see it and we get it. Others will be slower to respond and invest but it will happen.

Regarding this season, a large crowd showed up for the UCLA game only to witness the Rebels lose again with awful, boring offense. Most left by halftime. Those of us who've followed UNLV forever saw the few positives in that game and we've continued watching, but for the majority first-timers, that was another set back and they probably won't be back at Sam Boyd again this season unless this team does something crazy like win the West Division and play for the MWC title.

We've won two games so far. I'm encouraged because even though the masses aren't buying up tickets yet, people ARE starting to notice. After both the 80-point game and UNR win I received text messages from people who usually never follow UNLV. They're just barely noticing at this point but that's how it starts.

UNLV needs to keep winning. That's the secret formula. Just keep winning and the Vegas "fans" will eventually figure it out.

Maybe I overstate the impact of fans on the growth of the program and the product on the field, but I truly feel that fans can affect the outcome of the game.

Take this Saturday's game, for example. This is a HUGE game for this season. A win gets us to .500 on the season, 2-0 in the conference, and in a great position to contend for the West Division Championship. Let's not forget that if we can somehow win the west, we will play in the MW Championship on ESPN2, which I believe would give our program a nice chunk of bonus $$.

Let's say the attendance for Saturday is 17,000 as projected. Don't you think that an additional 5,000/7,500/10,000 fans could create an environment that is more conducive to the Rebels getting a win? The crowd in Reno really helped that team rally back, and were it not for a huge pick-6, I'm not sure that UNLV escapes there with a victory. Coach Sanchez repeatedly said that the stadium was rocking and the players certainly noticed.

So while I understand that the program has shot itself in the foot for decades, I hate that there aren't more people buying into "The New Era". Everything about this team is new. The team was able to change over ONE OFF-SEASON. I just don't get why fans should be given a pass to wait 2-3 years when the team pulled it off in one season.

Coach Sanchez used all of his talent and surrounded himself with people who could inspire the same players that were here last year to flip a switch and put a much better product on the field.

Coach Sanchez has used all of his talent and ability to inspire the same people that lived in Las Vegas last year to flip a switch and come out to support his improved team. Vegas looks back at him and says... meh, maybe later.

Reactions: DocRebel
I hear you and considering how exciting and huge Saturday's game actually is, it's a bit frustrating. I don't think Vegas fans are intentionally ignoring it but rather most of Vegas just doesn't know or appreciate the context and magnitude of Saturday's game. They don't recognize what's at stake yet because they haven't followed the program for a while and lack a context to any progress happening right now.

Yeah they saw on the 11 o'clock news recently that UNLV won the cannon back but that's the only thing they know right now. They need to be reeled back in. Had the past two games been aired on local TV I think Saturday would already be closer to 25-28K. But nobody saw those two games other than the fans who have already been following all along.

Winning fans back into the stands will require a combination of winning games and exposure.

I hear you and considering how exciting and huge Saturday's game actually is, it's a bit frustrating. I don't think Vegas fans are intentionally ignoring it but rather most of Vegas just doesn't know or appreciate the context and magnitude of Saturday's game. They don't recognize what's at stake yet because they haven't followed the program for a while and lack a context to any progress happening right now.

Yeah they saw on the 11 o'clock news recently that UNLV won the cannon back but that's the only thing they know right now. They need to be reeled back in. Had the past two games been aired on local TV I think Saturday would already be closer to 25-28K. But nobody saw those two games other than the fans who have already been following all along.

Winning fans back into the stands will require a combination of winning games and exposure.

So true! Well put.
I'm holding out some hope that we might be surprised with the turnout. Does anyone know what the official attendance was for each of the two first games?

I know ISU was over 16,717 K (only a few hundred of that was ISU fans) . UCLA was 31,262. Lots of UCLA fans.

I know ISU was over 16,717 K (only a few hundred of that was ISU fans) . UCLA was 31,262. Lots of UCLA fans.
Yeah, I am not buying that the UCLA game turned locals off to the team or made them think that this is the same old same old. There were probably 18,000 Rebel fans there MAX. The rest were UCLA supporters. Not sure that a closer loss would have boosted attendance since UCLA fans aren't coming back to cheer on the Rebs any time soon.

Well we can thank Craig Thomson for that.

Yeah, I am not buying that the UCLA game turned locals off to the team or made them think that this is the same old same old. There were probably 18,000 Rebel fans there MAX. The rest were UCLA supporters. Not sure that a closer loss would have boosted attendance since UCLA fans aren't coming back to cheer on the Rebs any time soon.
Maybe not, but I honestly do think last year that coming off of a bowl season the absolute worst thing that could have happened to the team did. We got blown out vs Arizona and nobody showed the rest of the season.

I know because of the financial situation with the school they had to take these money games the last few years (Washington State, West Virginia, Michigan, and Ohio State and a trip to USC in the future) but I sometimes wonder if these games have actually done more to hurt the growth of the program than help it. You see scores on the ticker with UNLV losing by 4-5-6 TDs, its not a real motivator to get off the couch the following week and watch them play in person.

I will be perfectly honest, if there were ways to get out of the Ohio State game or USC game and take on lesser OOC opponents I would be ok with it. (Although I am looking forward to those road trips.) I would rather play against Purdue or even Vanderbilt or Wake Forrest. Play the lower end teams in Power 5 conferences. They will still pay to have you come out just not as much. Once you get to the point where you are winning some of those games, by all means up the competition.

Okay- I feel like the full ISU crowd will show after that entertaining game and another 3-4K after the Cannon win, word of mouth with the changes to field, block party, and weather cooling. I'd be happy with 20k at this point. That's my wishfully optimistic thoughts.

Okay- I feel like the full ISU crowd will show after that entertaining game and another 3-4K after the Cannon win, word of mouth with the changes to field, block party, and weather cooling. I'd be happy with 20k at this point. That's my wishfully optimistic thoughts.
Less than 20k would be hugely disappointing. I was hoping for around 22k but that is probably not going to happen.

This echo chamber is tiresome. Seriously- San Jose State is simply not sexy enough to draw fans to see a 2-3 team. That's the bottom line. Win more games, people will talk. The Boise St. and Hawaii game will be well attended, so back away from the cliff.

This echo chamber is tiresome. Seriously- San Jose State is simply not sexy enough to draw fans to see a 2-3 team. That's the bottom line. Win more games, people will talk. The Boise St. and Hawaii game will be well attended, so back away from the cliff.
You're right, UCLA, BSU, and Hawaii will be well-attended games... just as those types of games have always been at UNLV.

2011 was the last time UNLV hosted BSU; attendance: 26,281
2013 (bowl season) UNLV hosted Hawaii; attendance: 22,755

In 2011, the Rebels finished with 2 wins, so you know that the fans at that game were not there supporting the Rebels. In 2013 (the bowl season) the Hawaii game was followed by 2 more home games with 15,000 in attendance.

The point is that we need more REBEL FANS (not visitors) to show up and support the team every week. You blame the (projected) low attendance on a not sexy SJSU team... you're fooling yourself. The truth is that the same 14,000 - 18,000 Rebel fans are gonna be there, and anything else we see in SBS will be visiting fans, regardless of opponent.

And to "win more games, people will talk" I'd say, as I did above, that if we want more wins to talk about, fan support can be a part of it. This game has a 3-point spread, which to me signifies that the teams are pretty evenly matched. We need fans to come out, make some noise, make things a bit harder for SJSU.

We all want more wins to talk about, I just can't stand the fans/locals that are waiting for some illusive, moving target of wins or success before they jump in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT