ADVERTISEMENT

Next Saturday vs SJSU

Maybe not, but I honestly do think last year that coming off of a bowl season the absolute worst thing that could have happened to the team did. We got blown out vs Arizona and nobody showed the rest of the season.

That game was an immediate momentum killer last year. After the bowl season I was excited enough to clear out my calendar so I could travel with the team on every road trip except for two. So I drove to Tucson for the first game and regretted it from beginning to end. That ended it for me last year right there.

The new hire and the preseason hype helped sell a percentage of tickets for the UCLA game. 2/3 of the stadium were Las Vegas people. Tate Martell and all of Bishop Gorman's team was there near where I was sitting but they all evacuated at halftime along with much of the section I was in. From the casual fan's perspective the 0-3 start was a buzz killer. Had UNLV beaten UCLA and started 2-1, I don't think there would have been a large drop off in attendance. Quite the opposite.

This echo chamber is tiresome. Seriously- San Jose State is simply not sexy enough to draw fans to see a 2-3 team. That's the bottom line. Win more games, people will talk. The Boise St. and Hawaii game will be well attended, so back away from the cliff.
We went to a bowl game two years ago and no one talked and no one showed up that entire season or for the following years home opener.

I think using the Hawaii game and the Boise game furthers the point. The stadium will be fuller but not because of our fan base or community but the opponents.

It's the wait and see, get more wins, if they beat Reno, it's to far of a drive, community that is tiresome and ultimately may determine whether or not this program succeeds or fails.

Are we so 'Vegas' or bourgeoisie that we will only come out if the opponent is sexy enough? I get the Idaho State game to some extent, but a conference opponent, in a game that if they win would put UNLV in first place in the conference (albeit early in the season) isn't sexy enough? People aren't the least bit interested to see what the 'high school' coach can do?

They could try to rally the alumni base. Identify alumni who still live in the valley. Offer them a free ticket to one home game, provided that they buy a tricket for another one.

Just for everyones knowledge the two for one for alumni has been going on for years, nothing new. If you join the alumni association, you can buy one season ticket and get the second one for free.

I took advantage of the offer a few years ago to move into much better seats. Still got the same offer for this season. Did get stuck with the RAF fee, but was happy to pay it, and even happier with the great parking pass that I now get.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Can't blame people for being skeptical of a program that has 4 bowl appearances in its history.

Can't blame people for being skeptical of a program that has 4 bowl appearances in its history.
I can, and I will.

Listen, I'm not asking to have 25,000 season ticket holders. I want 25k to show up for ONE game. ONE game which follows our most important win of the season against our hated rival on their home field, which followed the most dominating win in all of college football this season, which followed a respectable showing against a Big10 opponent on the road, which followed our first two games where anyone watching could see that THIS team is different than the teams we've seen at UNLV for the past 10 years.

Not to mention that tickets are about as cheap as you can find for FBS football.

I can, and I will.

Listen, I'm not asking to have 25,000 season ticket holders. I want 25k to show up for ONE game. ONE game which follows our most important win of the season against our hated rival on their home field, which followed the most dominating win in all of college football this season, which followed a respectable showing against a Big10 opponent on the road, which followed our first two games where anyone watching could see that THIS team is different than the teams we've seen at UNLV for the past 10 years.

Not to mention that tickets are about as cheap as you can find for FBS football.

You'll probably get that if they win on saturday and then against Fresno with BSU coming in on halloween.

You'll probably get that if they win on saturday and then against Fresno with BSU coming in on halloween.
My whole point is that we can do better than having good attendance only for games against good/great opponents (where visitors make up a hefty chunk of the fans).

But about that BSU game. The schedule shows the time of that game is (TBA)... I really hope that ends up being a day game or having an 8:00 start time. While I've been as vocal as any about fan support and attendance, it will be hard to make it to SBS if the game is at 6:00 on Halloween night. Love my Rebels, but family comes first, and with a 5, 3, and 1 year old kid, I can't see myself missing that night with the kids on one of their favorite days of the year.

My whole point is that we can do better than having good attendance only for games against good/great opponents (where visitors make up a hefty chunk of the fans).

But about that BSU game. The schedule shows the time of that game is (TBA)... I really hope that ends up being a day game or having an 8:00 start time. While I've been as vocal as any about fan support and attendance, it will be hard to make it to SBS if the game is at 6:00 on Halloween night. Love my Rebels, but family comes first, and with a 5, 3, and 1 year old kid, I can't see myself missing that night with the kids on one of their favorite days of the year.

See, nobody is the perfect fan as so many of you claim to be, we all come with conditions, and under some circumstance may not go.

Don't chastise people for not going when the may very well have not seen either of the last two games due to the lack of coverage.

I don't want to argue with another Rebel fan, but that's a pretty weak argument, IMO.

Look at the big picture. This is a game at 6:00 pm on Saturday, October 10. Even the visitor side should be in the shade at kickoff, as sunset will be at 6:10 or so. We are coming off a home game where those that showed up were treated to the beatdown of the year and a lot of exciting plays, which was followed up by a gritty win against Reno on the road.

The Las Vegas valley has a population of about 2.1 million. We need 1% of the community to show up to fill SBS to 25,000 fans.

You're getting caught up on the tree and not seeing the forest.

I'm not defending myself, were I still in vegas, i'd be there (I think I missed 2 games in my 4 years), I graduated in may and immediately moved back to California.

Am I however looking at the long and dubious history of the program, in a city with so much to do, it's gonna take more than 2 wins that very few saw to get the average fan to buy in. People on this board are a terrible example, because most will go no matter what.

UNLV Football is like You and your Scorned Girlfriend. In this case UNLV = You and The Upset Girlfriend = The Fans. We know that an scorned girlfriend is like one of the worst situations a guy can put himself into. As her man you know that the simplistic stuff like buying her flowers, and candy isn't going to work to gain back that lost trust. Time, and earning that trust from her is how you get it. Proving yourself.

Same thing with this team. I agree with @REBin2011 partially. We here are die hard fans, we wouldn't be on this board if we weren't. I think it is myopic to expect people to all of a sudden show for these games after decades of being the worst if not at least one of the worst football teams in america just simply because it LOOKS like we are going in the right direction and have won two games. Whether they saw the games or not, they don't live in a bubble. They see the news etc. They know we won. But we have done this before. A scorned lover is just that, scorned. It will take an extra effort to get them to come. Quite honestly, the gimmicky promotions won't work, RIGHT NOW. Eventually they will. Just like the flowers and the chocolate. But you have to gain the trust back first.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT