ADVERTISEMENT

Next head coach?

Runnin-J

NBA Draft Pick
Aug 24, 2004
So, knowing that CKK is gone and that shouldn't be a question anymore...who should we hire as next head coach?

Personally, I'd like to see Augmon given a chance finally.

Would be cheap and would light a fire into the program and might be able to keep the few that he'd want.

Season 3 Talk GIF by The Simpsons

Good overview of the status of current coaches (although a bit dated). https://theathletic.com/4982079/202...hing-tiers-self-hurley-calipari-pitino/?amp=1
UNLV is in a real tough spot. No longer a dormant power but a program with real challenges. Resurrection is difficult. Makes it tough to attract a coach with a current job. Pool of coaches currently without a job is slim (Wright would definitely be tops of that group, perhaps Marshall second.) UNLV is going to need to bring the brinks truck if it wants to make a splash hire. I have questions if it even exists.

Reactions: TimothyC3
Jay Wright would be awesome but don’t see it happening…..They really should give Augmon a crack at it….at least that would create some buzz. In all honesty we should have let Rice continue and grow…he was a great recruiter just needed to develop X and O’s. He at least had us semi relevant…..

I don’t know why I’m weighing in on this but I’m going to. I feel like a victim of domestic abuse that just doesn’t know when to leave.

Our basketball program is irrelevant. It has been so for 25+ years, minus a handful of moments we cherish like beating #1 UNC, the 98’ WAC Tourney run and the 2007 Sweet 16. Moments that unless you’re on this message board, likely even register with anyone.

We have no more freebies to hand out to Augmon or Rice or Theus. Tark is dead and if we wait long enough those guys will be too.

We have to let the past be the past and design a basketball program from scratch. If Barry Odom can build a program out of UNLV football, then we have a shot in basketball. In theory it should be far easier.

How we part ways with Kevin Kruger will be important to whomever is sought after. How we manage the search, keep rumor mills at a minimum and actually conduct a professional search with ample funds and a blueprint for success can make the difference to a quality candidate.

We have great facilities, a still-eager fan base to work from and pockets. How deep the pockets go is yet to be seen.

We belong in college basketball’s conversation year in & year out. If SDSU can find a path, we can find a path. It starts with looking towards the future…not trying to rebuild the past.

We have about 90 days to gather resources, develop a blueprint and sell a vision on potential to a candidate. I hope Harper can make another splash hire and set the program on an upward trajectory.

It sucks being utterly irrelevant and last nights result just placed the cherry on the pile.

Based on the Odom hire, I have total confidence that Harper will find us a winner for bball too. With each lousy coaching hire, my excitement level goes down more and more. I want to get excited about Rebel basketball again. I want Rebel basketball to be more than background noise while I'm playing with my kids.

When UNLV realizes nobody cares about who you hire and their past transgressions, they will find a guy to elevate it. Until then it’ll be much of the same
I look at the current AD and President as two people who do care what happens, which is why they found the money and had the ability to go bring in coach Odom and one of if not the best staffs in the MWC. My expectation is that the coach seat for Kruger is hot now, and that they are looking for the funds to hire a coach that can turn the program around in contrast to the crap job done by Desiree Reed-Francois who used two really bad hires in football and basketball to get her a 7 figure contract at Missouri.

I look at the current AD and President as two people who do care what happens, which is why they found the money and had the ability to go bring in coach Odom and one of if not the best staffs in the MWC. My expectation is that the coach seat for Kruger is hot now, and that they are looking for the funds to hire a coach that can turn the program around in contrast to the crap job done by Desiree Reed-Francois who used two really bad hires in football and basketball to get her a 7 figure contract at Missouri.
You grab Will Wade now then… he’s tarnished, but who cares. DePaul already rumored to be going after him. He’d be cheap, gotta get someone who knows what they’re doing, I don’t care if he bounces after 3 seasons, that’ll mean we probably made a decent run at some point

You grab Will Wade now then… he’s tarnished, but who cares. DePaul already rumored to be going after him. He’d be cheap, gotta get someone who knows what they’re doing, I don’t care if he bounces after 3 seasons, that’ll mean we probably made a decent run at some point
That's what I'm saying... so many fans think we need the next Tark or Few as the next hire.. completely unrealistic, it'd be great, but we're in need of a serious quick turnaround and I don't care if they're previously tarnished or will jump to the next big job. Hopefully that means they actually did their job here and were better for it. Continue to make the right hires and then Hopefully that makes someone want to stay longer..

Reactions: 76RunninRebel
I've thought about Will Wade and at first I said to myself do we really want the FBI running wire taps at UNLV. But, yeah, part of me does want him here. Not the wire tap part. Interesting that former UNLV Assistant Basketball coach now AD hired Wade. Alpha dog Heath Shroyer, the guy that CDR used to watch coach his team, had the balls to hire Wade at McNeese.

I've thought about Will Wade and at first I said to myself do we really want the FBI running wire taps at UNLV. But, yeah, part of me does want him here. Not the wire tap part. Interesting that former UNLV Assistant Basketball coach now AD hired Wade. Alpha dog Heath Shroyer, the guy that CDR used to watch coach his team, had the balls to hire Wade at McNeese.
Wire tap for what?? everything is legal now. He would keep everyone he wanted and upgrade the talent immediately.

If UNLV wants to become relevant again as a national program, Gregg Marshall has to be no.1 on the list of candidates. Also, he is available and is one of very few coaches to take a non power conference team to the final 4.

Wire tap for what?? everything is legal now. He would keep everyone he wanted and upgrade the talent immediately.
It's a stretch to say everything is legal now. You don't have to look that far back, like this month, to see Florida State getting hit with "NIL recruiting violations". The NCAA handed down some serious sanctions.

I don't disagree that the guy has something about him that makes him a winner on the court. In that we agree.

It's a stretch to say everything is legal now. You don't have to look that far back, like this month, to see Florida State getting hit with "NIL recruiting violations". The NCAA handed down some serious sanctions.

I don't disagree that the guy has something about him that makes him a winner on the court. In that we agree.
Do you really think anything the NCAA does now will hold up in a court of law? These days schools just go and fight violations in the courts. With the millions going into players pockets in some schools, how can anything be considered a violation?

I think the big question is, how much Harper / UNLV is willing to spend, and who can you get to come to UNLV after the bad string of hires/fires over the past 20 years or so.

It's going to cost money to buy out CKK's current contract. It will likely cost money to buy out another coach from their current school, plus, whatever we're going to pay them once on staff. Hopefully, like with football, they'll see that it's an investment in the school that more than makes up for the cost of a coach, assuming you get it right.

For basketball, if they can get an extra 5k people in the building for 18 home games, that's a huge dollar amount. At $50/person, just adding in 5,000 people would be an extra $4,500,000 over the course of the season. And that doesn't include any concessions. It's not unreasonable to think that overall, the basketball team can average 10,000-12,000 people per game. I'm pretty sure we were at that when Rice was coach. Those games were fun and had a lot of excitement and student engagement.

Reactions: Runnin-J
If UNLV wants to become relevant again as a national program, Gregg Marshall has to be no.1 on the list of candidates. Also, he is available and is one of very few coaches to take a non power conference team to the final 4.
Marshall can coach, but I'm not sure he's a fit here--I don't know that he'll be anyplace where the administration doesn't have his back 100% after his WSU exit and that's not exactly UNLV's strong suit. Plus, he's not been actively pursuing employment, besides a little bit of noise after Martin left the Gamecocks. He's definitely someone you've got to call though.

Do you really think anything the NCAA does now will hold up in a court of law? These days schools just go and fight violations in the courts. With the millions going into players pockets in some schools, how can anything be considered a violation?
I haven't heard that the courts have overturned anything related to this. I haven't even heard of FSU challenging these violations in court. Please enlighten us with what you know. Maybe I've missed something.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I haven't heard that the courts have overturned anything related to this. I haven't even heard of FSU challenging these violations in court. Please enlighten us with what you know. Maybe I've missed something.
US. Supreme Court in 2021 struck down NCAA restrictions related to compensation which tossed many of the cases the NCAA had filed against individual schools. This also included the Sherman Act relating to benefits to student athletes. West Virginia Federal Court temporarily blocks the NCAA transfer eligibility rules December 21, 2023 in regards to NCAA Division I bylaw 14.5.5.1. This will ultimately impact all transfer limitations by NCAA. Antitrust lawsuit against NCAA seeking damages for college athletes Apr 4, 2023. This case includes defendants named that includes NCAA, ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC. There are many other cases also related to conditions set by the NCAA.

Florida is in regards to improper contact of Mullen and an assistant meeting with a recruit before the timeline allowed by the NCAA. This puts restrictions on the rights of student athletes, which ultimately is going to end up going to the Supreme Court just like transfer regulations and compensation rights.

Reactions: rebelwithacause
Marshall can coach, but I'm not sure he's a fit here--I don't know that he'll be anyplace where the administration doesn't have his back 100% after his WSU exit and that's not exactly UNLV's strong suit. Plus, he's not been actively pursuing employment, besides a little bit of noise after Martin left the Gamecocks. He's definitely someone you've got to call though.
Good take. Also, when you look at what he accomplished at WSU and Winthrop is very impressive. Neither are powerhouses. Yet in 21 years of coaching he coached in the post season 18 times with 14 ncaa's, 3 NIT's and one CBI appearance. Also, made appearances in the sweet 16, one Final 4 and won a NIT Championship.

IMO if UNLV truly wants has to turn the basketball program around, they have to make an aggressive push to hire a coach like Marshall who still has at least another 8-10 years in him. Also, WSU is still paying him $775k per year. Marshall would be at the top of my list if I were the AD and I would fly out to sit down with him similar to what Dr Brad Rothermel did to hire LK. Also, it's my recollection Sig Rogich did something similar with Tark.

Where is the buyout money coming from?
It does help UNLV made an almost $2 million profit for the year from what I understand. How much is the buyout prior to the end of the season and at the end of the season? Considering how much football has turned around, and it looks like season ticket sales have gone up significantly, I am sure there are boosters out there the trust the current AD and President, and can help out, or is that wishful thinking?

US. Supreme Court in 2021 struck down NCAA restrictions related to compensation which tossed many of the cases the NCAA had filed against individual schools. This also included the Sherman Act relating to benefits to student athletes. West Virginia Federal Court temporarily blocks the NCAA transfer eligibility rules December 21, 2023 in regards to NCAA Division I bylaw 14.5.5.1. This will ultimately impact all transfer limitations by NCAA. Antitrust lawsuit against NCAA seeking damages for college athletes Apr 4, 2023. This case includes defendants named that includes NCAA, ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC. There are many other cases also related to conditions set by the NCAA.

Florida is in regards to improper contact of Mullen and an assistant meeting with a recruit before the timeline allowed by the NCAA. This puts restrictions on the rights of student athletes, which ultimately is going to end up going to the Supreme Court just like transfer regulations and compensation rights.
Let me know if and when the current sanctions have been lifted at Florida State. Right now nothing has been challenged. The NCAA has levied sanctions and FSU accepted them. I can only relay the facts as of today. When those facts change then they change. The thing is this went through a process called "Negotiated Resolution Procedure". Florida State agreed and settled with the sanctions and violations. They cannot be appealed within the NCAA framework. I doubt FSU takes this to court after making that agreement. How this will apply to all the other stuff you mentioned above as it relates to FSU is an unknown. Like I said I'm only posting todays facts in regards to FSU and their NIL violations.

Remember you said:
"These days schools just go and fight violations in the courts. With the millions going into players pockets in some schools, how can anything be considered a violation?"

So all I'm saying in response is that NIL violations did occur and FSU accepted them.

Here's a full rundown of the punishments included in the agreement between the NCAA and Florida State for NIL violations:
  • Two years of probation for Florida State.
  • A two-year show cause, a suspension from the next three regular season games, a two-week restriction on recruiting communication and a restriction from off-campus recruiting during fall 2023 for Atkins .
  • A three-year disassociation from the booster.
  • A one-year disassociation from the collective.
  • A $5,000 fine plus 1% of the football budget.
  • A 5% reduction in football scholarships over the two-year probationary period.
  • A reduction in recruiting official visits in the 2023-24 academic year.
  • A reduction in football recruiting communications for a total of six weeks during the 2023-24 and 2024-25 academic years.

Reactions: rebelwithacause
It is going to take some serious scratch to get someone who really will move the needle in terms of interest.

There are a few people that will probably bump season ticket sales by a few thousand. Wright would be the top of the list, followed by Marshall.

Wade would be probably in the next tier.

And then Bryce Drew in a tier below.

Talking about strictly initial fan reception of the hire. Not necessarily quality of coach, though they have a relationship there.

Wright seems pretty happy not coaching. And he hasn't been out of it that long. So even if we could convince him to coach again. It would be north of 4 mil a year minimum. I just don't think we could swing that. Unless the Fertittas have our back by hiring their son as a position coach. ( Congrats BTW)

Bryce Drew would be a very good hire. But I don't think he moves the interest needle much. He currently makes more than 2 mil a year at Grand Canyon, with a few years left on his contract.

Could UNLV afford to give him a raise and buyout his contract? If they could, how many more season tickets would Bryce Drew sell? A couple thousand?

Greg Marshall was making 3.5 for the end of his contract at WSU. What would he demand? Hard to say he would work for less, but he may be a little more desperate since he has been out of the game for a while with a bit of a dishonorable discharge.

As for UNLV? It sure seems like Harper and the Prez have a pretty good relationship and are on the same page. I think the University would have the coach's back if they go with someone with a not so great history.

Then there is the Odom fund. We need to save money to extend him. Realistically the Football program and the basketball program should be able to independently fund each side. That's where this gets tough.

The needle isn't going to be moved by a coaching hire... we've had too many bad ones even if it was a slam dunk hire. That coach has to take a bottom barrel program and win immediately and sustain that for multiple years to move the needle.. things are just that bad
Don’t disagree but it’s VERY doable in CBB. The new coach brings a key player or two with him, pulls a few others from the portal along with a solid first HS recruiting class and season one is respectable. I’m sick and tired of watching UNR, USU, BSU, hell even Wyoming and FSU do it. UNLV is full of BS excuses. Make a f’n commitment to the program. Do their job and make the right moves. Harp did in football no less. No question that challenges exist (mostly $$$) but goddamn it is absolutely doable.

For the record, I’m not saying that anyone here is asking this. One of my favorite regurgitated nonsense questions when it comes to coaching changes are the people who ask “well who out there is better?”

Well here’s the thing, I have very limited knowledge of available resources and interested candidates, nor do I have the ability to interview prospective coaches to get a feel for them and try to determine whether or not they’d be a good fit.

What I do know is, if Kevin Kruger is the best UNLV can do and 30 point home losses are to be considered acceptable, then I rather just see the program fold. Spend the money elsewhere.

For the record, I’m not saying that anyone here is asking this. One of my favorite regurgitated nonsense questions when it comes to coaching changes are the people who ask “well who out there is better?”

Well here’s the thing, I have very limited knowledge of available resources and interested candidates, nor do I have the ability to interview prospective coaches to get a feel for them and try to determine whether or not they’d be a good fit.

What I do know is, if Kevin Kruger is the best UNLV can do and 30 point home losses are to be considered acceptable, then I rather just see the program fold. Spend the money elsewhere.
Sad but true here!

Kevin is not the guy and none of us know anything about anything as far as how much money we have or the interest level of potential candidates for the HC spot. What I know is all those that are making statements like “ if we don’t have the money or if it’s not a big name, then we should roll with Kevin for another season” is complete crap! I bet these same posters were saying the bs after Arroyo went 5-7 and guess what, he got canned and rightfully so!

We should not give Kevin another year, PERIOD!

Reactions: Meister_Rebel
Sad but true here!

Kevin is not the guy and none of us know anything about anything as far as how much money we have or the interest level of potential candidates for the HC spot. What I know is all those that are making statements like “ if we don’t have the money or if it’s not a big name, then we should roll with Kevin for another season” is complete crap! I bet these same posters were saying the bs after Arroyo went 5-7 and guess what, he got canned and rightfully so!

We should not give Kevin another year, PERIOD!
You're right. He should just be fired with no plan, pay out hundreds of thousands or millions to buy out CKK, then a bunch more to hire a no name assistant and hopes he works out better. SMH.

IMO, it was crap that he was hired in the first place since he was not qualified. But if the admin doesn't have a valid plan, along with the money in place, it would be equally reckless to just fire him. You bring up the Arroyo situation, but guess what...they DID have a plan. And money. They forked out a good chunk of money to fire Arroyo, and even more to bring in Odom.

I'm really hoping that they see the big picture, and how much potential UNLV basketball has to bring in big $$$, but if they don't, and you buy out CKK, then buy out some other low level coach, and sign them to a 5 year deal....that's crap. I'm not at all happy with the current situation either. I'm guessing that Harper, based on his handling of football, will make a good decision, based on all the info, and who we could bring in to replace him.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT