ADVERTISEMENT

Next head coach?

For the record, I’m not saying that anyone here is asking this. One of my favorite regurgitated nonsense questions when it comes to coaching changes are the people who ask “well who out there is better?”

Well here’s the thing, I have very limited knowledge of available resources and interested candidates, nor do I have the ability to interview prospective coaches to get a feel for them and try to determine whether or not they’d be a good fit.

What I do know is, if Kevin Kruger is the best UNLV can do and 30 point home losses are to be considered acceptable, then I rather just see the program fold. Spend the money elsewhere.
As long as you are also OK with folding football. I do not believe any of the major conferences, and even the MWC, will keep a school in their conference that doesn't have a basketball program.

You're right. He should just be fired with no plan, pay out hundreds of thousands or millions to buy out CKK, then a bunch more to hire a no name assistant and hopes he works out better. SMH.
Just to be clear, what we’re seeing right now is a “plan” being executed?

You're right. He should just be fired with no plan, pay out hundreds of thousands or millions to buy out CKK, then a bunch more to hire a no name assistant and hopes he works out better. SMH.

IMO, it was crap that he was hired in the first place since he was not qualified. But if the admin doesn't have a valid plan, along with the money in place, it would be equally reckless to just fire him. You bring up the Arroyo situation, but guess what...they DID have a plan. And money. They forked out a good chunk of money to fire Arroyo, and even more to bring in Odom.

I'm really hoping that they see the big picture, and how much potential UNLV basketball has to bring in big $$$, but if they don't, and you buy out CKK, then buy out some other low level coach, and sign them to a 5 year deal....that's crap. I'm not at all happy with the current situation either. I'm guessing that Harper, based on his handling of football, will make a good decision, based on all the info, and who we could bring in to replace him.
You don’t have any idea if this is the case!
Kevin needs to be gone, no way he should get another year. There are coaches out there who fit the bill of former HC, find one and move on!

IMO, it was crap that he was hired in the first place since he was not qualified. But if the admin doesn't have a valid plan, along with the money in place, it would be equally reckless to just fire him. You bring up the Arroyo situation, but guess what...they DID have a plan. And money. They forked out a good chunk of money to fire Arroyo, and even more to bring in Odom.

I'm really hoping that they see the big picture, and how much potential UNLV basketball has to bring in big $$$, but if they don't, and you buy out CKK, then buy out some other low level coach, and sign them to a 5 year deal....that's crap. I'm not at all happy with the current situation either. I'm guessing that Harper, based on his handling of football, will make a good decision, based on all the info, and who we could bring in to replace him.
I did not mention anything about if they had a plan or not? I said there are folks around here saying the same thing “we should keep him if…” Just like back then with Marcus, things will get worked out and it’s above all of our pay grades as to what will happen and when.

The only thing I am sure about is Kevin does not deserve another year here!

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Fire the coach without a plan to acquire his replacement. Brilliant! Why didn’t we think of this before! We’ll be back on top in no time!! Hmm, why does this sound so familiar?? 🤔

Fire the coach without a plan to acquire his replacement. Brilliant! Why didn’t we think of this before! We’ll be back on top in no time!! Hmm, why does this sound so familiar?? 🤔
Do you really think the current President and AD are not paying attention to empty stadiums, losing games to bad teams, late game collapses, and now a 30 point loss to a bad Air Force team?

After the home run they hit with Odom, I would expect the same level of search for the basketball coach. The current AD is not like the past useless AD's that just looked at the job as a paycheck.

With Harpers Homerun hire of Odom he is nicely lining up a Multimillion dollar payday. He has the social requirements. He has the Football Hire. With a Homerun BB Hire he'd be able to set his own price at a P5 that wants some of the same for their school. I believe he has to see this collapse of KK as the best thing that could ever happen to him personally. Now, all he has to do is get the hire right. Believe me, everything possible is being done to make a basketball hire perfect.

I don’t know why I’m weighing in on this but I’m going to. I feel like a victim of domestic abuse that just doesn’t know when to leave.

Our basketball program is irrelevant. It has been so for 25+ years, minus a handful of moments we cherish like beating #1 UNC, the 98’ WAC Tourney run and the 2007 Sweet 16. Moments that unless you’re on this message board, likely even register with anyone.

We have no more freebies to hand out to Augmon or Rice or Theus. Tark is dead and if we wait long enough those guys will be too.

We have to let the past be the past and design a basketball program from scratch. If Barry Odom can build a program out of UNLV football, then we have a shot in basketball. In theory it should be far easier.

How we part ways with Kevin Kruger will be important to whomever is sought after. How we manage the search, keep rumor mills at a minimum and actually conduct a professional search with ample funds and a blueprint for success can make the difference to a quality candidate.

We have great facilities, a still-eager fan base to work from and pockets. How deep the pockets go is yet to be seen.

We belong in college basketball’s conversation year in & year out. If SDSU can find a path, we can find a path. It starts with looking towards the future…not trying to rebuild the past.

We have about 90 days to gather resources, develop a blueprint and sell a vision on potential to a candidate. I hope Harper can make another splash hire and set the program on an upward trajectory.

It sucks being utterly irrelevant and last nights result just placed the cherry on the pile.
Well said Eric - miss your insight brother

I
Sad but true here!

Kevin is not the guy and none of us know anything about anything as far as how much money we have or the interest level of potential candidates for the HC spot. What I know is all those that are making statements like “ if we don’t have the money or if it’s not a big name, then we should roll with Kevin for another season” is complete crap! I bet these same posters were saying the bs after Arroyo went 5-7 and guess what, he got canned and rightfully so!

We should not give Kevin another year, PERIOD!
5 years just like the last guy..and the guy before him..
Well said Eric - miss your insight brother
Post of the year

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT