ADVERTISEMENT

New Line Coaches - Garrison and Seumalo

DocRebel

Lottery Pick
Aug 9, 2003
Of all of the new assistant coaches Sanchez hired I'm probably most excited about John Garrison, the O-line coach, and Joe Seumalo, the D-line coach. Everything I've been hearing about these two guys has been exactly what I want to hear. It may take a little time to build up because really good, big, mature, experienced linemen don't just grow on trees. But sooner rather than later I think we'll start noticing some attitude and toughness in the trenches like we haven't had around here in a long time.

I also really like that immediately we're targeting some young linemen in this staff's first class. So many games are won and lost based on the effectiveness of line play and I genuinely think Sanchez has hired a couple of really smart and energetic coaches.

I actually think one of the things Bobby did well was recruit big offensive lineman that could be built up. Without looking at the roster, I expect that Bobby would have left the O-line in decent shape. The D-line is a different story. We rarely saw Bobby's d-line create any pressure or stop the run.

Based on personnel, size and experience, I anticipated that our line would be a lot better than I thought it actually showed last season. At moments they were good (usually only the opening drive of each game), but for the majority I still thought we struggled to open up holes, got killed in the short yardage situations, and leaked way too much in the passing game. I know part of the problem was Decker had happy feet and would sometimes run out before the pocket actually collapsed. But also many of the times he was indeed running for his life back there because we struggled to pick up blitzes and even hold off a four-man rush frequently.

I don't know, I see room for a lot of much needed improvement on both sides of the line. I think we'll get it from these guys.

This post was edited on 1/21 5:19 PM by DocRebel

I am very interested to see how the returning O Lineman due with some new instruction. I think with Sanchez around we can expect to see a rejuvenated Scoggins.

Guys returning with experience are Saxelid (Started last 3 games at LT), Gstrein (Started games the last 2 seasons @ Guard) , Scoggins (3 years exp at both Guard spots) and Oberg (Returning Starter @ RT) . Eric Noone (Started some games @ Guard)

This list included RS and guys who have been in the program but mostly played on Special teams to this point.
J'Ondray Sanders (C, G), Patrick Carroll (T), Chris Lopez, RS FR Philip Haynes and Gavin Peterson. These are the most likely to compete for time.

Biggest battles will be to see who takes over at Center (Should be Kreitler) and who takes over at Left Tackle (Will they swing Oberg Over or will Saxelid hold the spot).

With the new staff in place it will be fun to see the battles begin. We do return a good amount of guys who have a decent amount of experience.

Originally posted by rebelbuck:
I am very interested to see how the returning O Lineman due with some new instruction. I think with Sanchez around we can expect to see a rejuvenated Scoggins.
I hope they can get into Scoggins' head the importance of physical fitness, or, and I hate to be so blunt, that young man will never become an old man.

Nathen Jacobson comes from a school in Washington that has seahawks oline coach Tom Cable saints oline coach Brent Ingalls former UW and longtime NFL assistent Keith Gilbertson JR. As well as long time pac 10 assistent Denny Schuler and Utah te coach Nick Danilson as alumni. The coaching tree coach Garrison and Cotton bring working with guys like Osborn and Tenopir at Nebraska was a big factor. Think it's a big selling point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT