ADVERTISEMENT

New commit

Rebel Chi-girl

Lottery Pick
Aug 29, 2003
Henderson, NV
Mark Anderson of the RJ just reported UNLV BB just picked up a commitment from 6'7" forward Anthony Smith from Feather River CC. Averaging 22.3 points & 8.4 rebounds this season. A report I just read said he never played prep ball & only a little AAU ball. Most his experience has come from his juco play. He is a SO. and will have 2 years of eligibility left when he joins the Rebels.They say he is a tremendous leaper & athlete.

Last edited:
We got him over Utah St., not sure that we should be battling for a player that Utah St. is looking at. This seems to be a player that should not be on our radar. Hopefully I am wrong and he fits in.

We got him over Utah St., not sure that we should be battling for a player that Utah St. is looking at. This seems to be a player that should not be on our radar. Hopefully I am wrong and he fits in.

According to Feather River's Facebook page, he also received offers from TCU, West Virginia and more. So although you're correct that, for whatever his reasons, he apparently narrowed his choices to us and Utah St., I think that a player who's good enough for Jamie Dixon or Bob Huggins is probably worth a spot on our roster.

https://www.facebook.com/www.frc.edu/

6979.gif

Go Rebels!

Also, last time I looked, Utah State beat us. At this point, MM needs to get players that will make us better next year, ready to compete for the MWC crown. It will take a little longer, assuming he is successful here, before he can attract enough talent to compete for a NC.

Reactions: EastSideRebel
...They say he is a tremendous leaper & athlete.

Man, I feel like I can count on one hand the number of times the above phrase hasn't translated into "poor basketball IQ/shooting/ball handling" in recent years for UNLV. Promising prospects with similar scouting reports come to mind - K. Mashour, D. Morant, G. Okonoboh, S. Goodman, Q. Thomas, the "extra long and thin athlete" Henry "The Sasquatch" Buckley, and the "Extremely athletic, great shot blocker and rebounder" Beas Hamga. Some of those folks (and others not mentioned) ended up serviceable for other teams, but it sure seems like we end up on the wrong end of the bargain more often than not.

Hopefully new leadership this time yields better results.

Lol. People still act all high n mighty. Bro, unlv hasn't done shit since 90. So in what world should we not battle Utah state for recruits. Get a clue donette.

Reactions: TimothyC3
Mark Anderson of the RJ just reported UNLV BB just picked up a commitment from 6'7" forward Anthony Smith from Feather River CC. Averaging 22.3 points & 8.4 rebounds this season. A report I just read said he never played prep ball & only a little AAU ball. Most his experience has come from his juco play. He is a SO. and will have 2 years of eligibility left when he joins the Rebels.They say he is a tremendous leaper & athlete.
Nice to hear! Two years left too.

Lol. People still act all high n mighty. Bro, unlv hasn't done shit since 90. So in what world should we not battle Utah state for recruits. Get a clue donette.
Not high and mighty but even though we haven't been successful we should always be able to over recruit Utah St.

Reactions: EastSideRebel
Lol. People still act all high n mighty. Bro, unlv hasn't done shit since 90. So in what world should we not battle Utah state for recruits.
I mentioned this in another thread, but it bears repeating here…

The Rebels will be able to recruit far above what their record would indicate. Marvin Menzies has a reputation as a very good recruiter. He stocked Rick Pitino’s Louisville squad with great players. He was largely responsible for players on Louisville's 2005 FF appearance. Even at NMSU he got a player from his last class, who currently starts for the NBA Raptors . For a mid-level school like that, it’s pretty impressive.

But beside MM’s prowess as a recruiter, UNLV may have fallen on hard times, but we’re still UNLV. It’s still cool to be a Runnin’ Rebel. Our team paraphernalia still shows up in myriad places. According to a Forbe's Magazine piece, UNLV comes in at #20 in the value of our apparel. That's awfully high considering how far we've fallen, from a competitive standpoint.These kids may not be old enough to remember the “Glory Years”, but the legend is still alive when they play in AAU games and the various tourneys that take place here.

So, if Menzies can point the program in the right direction, some of the best talent will come our way.

images

Go Rebels!

I mentioned this in another thread, but it bears repeating here…

The Rebels will be able to recruit far above what their record would indicate. Marvin Menzies has a reputation as a very good recruiter. He stocked Rick Pitino’s Louisville squad with great players. He was largely responsible for players on Louisville's 2005 FF appearance. Even at NMSU he got a player from his last class, who currently starts for the NBA Raptors . For a mid-level school like that, it’s pretty impressive.

But beside MM’s prowess as a recruiter, UNLV may have fallen on hard times, but we’re still UNLV. It’s still cool to be a Runnin’ Rebel. Our team paraphernalia still shows up in myriad places. According to a Forbe's Magazine piece, UNLV comes in at #20 in the value of our apparel. That's awfully high considering how far we've fallen, from a competitive standpoint.These kids may not be old enough to remember the “Glory Years”, but the legend is still alive when they play in AAU games and the various tourneys that take place here.

So, if Menzies can point the program in the right direction, some of the best talent will come our way.

images

Go Rebels!

Adding to the point you are making, let's not over look what Menzies accomplished at SDSU. As noted by Steve Fisher who hire Menzies as his 1st assistant for the Aztecs in the San Diego paper a few days ago:

"Fisher is pulling for him, and not just because Menzies was his first outside hire after coming to SDSU in 1999 and was instrumental in turning around the program with early recruits like Randy Holcomb, Tony Bland and Brandon Heath. A UNLV with four coaches in four months, a UNLV with three returning players, a UNLV picked to eighth in the preseason media poll is great fodder for rival fans but not so great for the Mountain West."

“You absolutely want Vegas to be good, yes, without question,” Fisher said. “They are the No. 1 brand in our league. They’ve won a national championship. They’ve got a pedigree. If they’re good, it helps all of us. Now, I don’t want them to be better than us, but I want them to be good and I believe with all my heart that they will be.”

Now, I don’t want them to be better than us, but I want them to be good and I believe with all my heart that they will be.”

Fisher should remember those words. I absolutely believe that, if he’s left to do the job, Marvin Menzies will not only make The Rebels good again, but they will be better than SDSU. The only thing standing in his way will be antsy boosters and fans.

There are no shortcuts to fielding a team that can compete with the likes of Duke, Kansas or even San Diego State. Everyone wants an instant turn-around. That’s why they were so excited to get Chris Beard. Because he’s had a record of turning losers into winners, overnight. I’m not convinced he’d have accomplished that here, but MM is a fine coach and a fine leader of young men.

He wasn’t anyone’s first choice, but in the end, I believe he was the best choice. If he succeeds here, I don’t get the sense, unlike Beard, that he will jump at the first offer he gets from another school. Let’s give him the necessary time to make UNLV relevant again. It will be worth the wait.

UNLV+Introduces+Marvin+Menzies+deL5pkd0MLel.jpg

Go Rebels!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT