ADVERTISEMENT

New 2024 QB offer

He was a commit under the last staff and it was his only offer. He was just re-offered by the new staff. I wonder if we have a real shot.
Imagine walking unto an interview with a school, looking at their roster, then cherry picking the best players that you have a need for and bringing them back home with you after they decided not to hire you...
"Yeah, and it's pivotal you reach out to player X, they're a key part of our offense/recruiting class, etc. "
Marion: "yeah, I might just"

I don't believe that Ochoa is a prospect that we can count on leading us to where we want to be. His tape looks nice but El Paso is not filled with a lot of talent so I question the level of comp he faced. This may just be Marion throwing some bait and hoping he can catch a 2024 QB last minute. I'm sure we will see more decommitments as the portal QBs find a home.

Seems more like a “body” than a “prospect”. As said above, hoping the coaching carousel leads to a few last second change of hearts and we’re able to snag a legitimate prospect

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I don’t know if I agree that he’s just a body.

Throwing for almost 6000 yards is impressive no matter who it’s against but everyone is missing that he’s a dual threat QB and is very athletic. Guy can hightail it out of the pocket. His 40 time is 4.6 and with the right conditioning and training, he could improve on that. Keep in mind that Marion had Caylin Newton who also ran a 4.6.

To me Ochoa fits the bill for Marion and the gogo offense. The problem I have is, is Marion even going to be around when this guy is ready? IDK, but he is a Karson Gordon replacement. Can be a situational QB until he’s ready.

Throwing for almost 6000 yards is impressive no matter who it’s against but everyone is missing that he’s a dual threat QB and is very athletic. Guy can hightail it out of the pocket. His 40 time is 4.6 and with the right conditioning and training, he could improve on that. Keep in mind that Marion had Caylin Newton who also ran a 4.6.

To me Ochoa fits the bill for Marion and the gogo offense. The problem I have is, is Marion even going to be around when this guy is ready? IDK, but he is a Karson Gordon replacement. Can be a situational QB until he’s ready.
Hard to tell from fluff films. But what I like is his mobility and speed.

Throwing for 6K yards in 4 years is average imo. People throw for that in 1.5/2 seasons.

I don't think he will be a situational qb. I highly doubt Marion throws him in for 1/2 plays a game to run. Just my opinion though.

Throwing for 6K yards in 4 years is average imo. People throw for that in 1.5/2 seasons.

I don't think he will be a situational qb. I highly doubt Marion throws him in for 1/2 plays a game to run. Just my opinion though.

If you extrapolate his numbers over 3-4 years..

He's throwing for over 1k and running for around 1k..

Not knowing what type of offense they ran hard to make much of just raw numbers.

I'd be more excited if more schools were in on him than just UTEP. Even if it was just North Texas or UTSA.

He ran for 860 yards. As a sophomore he ran like 1100 yards. He’s averaging 200 yards through the air and 100 on the ground per game.

Garyt Odom runs a 4.68 40 time, ran for almost 700 yards in split QB situation at Faith Lutheran.

It’s pretty obvious that since Marion and Odom have showed up that they’ve been recruiting athletic and dual threat quarterbacks. We just witnessed Greene tear us up on the ground and through the air in the CCG, that’s what Marion wants in a QB because it stresses the Defense out and creates confusion.

I would not be surprised if a dual threat portal QB ends up at unlv.

If you extrapolate his numbers over 3-4 years..

He's throwing for over 1k and running for around 1k..

Not knowing what type of offense they ran hard to make much of just raw numbers.

I'd be more excited if more schools were in on him than just UTEP. Even if it was just North Texas or UTSA.
He had a visit to Texas Tech.

Visits dont mean anything today. I hate that that's true, but it is what it is. Hundreds of kids visit colleges every game and they'll never touch a D1 field. High schools are invited to campus every week.

If Ochoa can do what he did in a competitive division in Florida, California, or Texas, then thats different. But you cannot take what he did in El Paso and think he's some amazing prospect. Is he good? For sure. Will he play at UNLV if he came and make a difference? No.

But we do need a dual threat qb for sure. I think (and hope) one is coming

Last edited:
Visits dont mean anything today. I hate that that's true, but it is what it is. Hundreds of kids visit colleges every game and they'll never touch a D1 field. High schools are invited to campus every week.

If Ochoa can do what he did in a competitive division in Florida, California, or Texas, then thats different. But you cannot take what he did in El Paso and think he's some amazing prospect. Is he good? For sure. Will he play at UNLV if he came and make a difference? No.

But we do need a dual threat qb for sure. I think (and hope) one is coming
Based on what I read from the coaches at UNLV, they had hundreds of visits from high school players and their family at almost every home game. Most likely a large number of these players either are not good enough, or have no interest in UNLV. It has become a game of recruiting that is all about the numbers!

He was a 4 year starter?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT