ADVERTISEMENT

More interviews coming

Even if it's 6-7 million, that's still a good chunk of change though.
There’s definitely a buyout, I just don’t know how it’s written into the contract. It could be $1-2M liquidated buyout. It should be public since he’s a public employee

Reactions: LVRebel2000
It's more attractive..Definitely..

Let's say Odom walked after this year, who's your list of candidates with HC only experience.

Gary Patterson has expressed interest in coaching again but I would imagine there would be a fair number of suitors.

If Chip Kelly does get let go by UCLA would you take a stab at him? I would, but would he be interested? Would he rather take a year off?

Let's say Armageddon happens who are you offering the job?
Sean Lewis

There’s definitely a buyout, I just don’t know how it’s written into the contract. It could be $1-2M liquidated buyout. It should be public since he’s a public employee
I hope they wouldn't put one that low, but who knows. Hopefully he likes what he's started here and decides that he wants to be the UNLV football version of Tark!

Reactions: Takethat702
Isn’t this what we all expected when Marion was hired? Time will tell if he leaves and we’ll know before our Bowl game if he’s gone, but no one should be surprised.

if he does leave, good for him for progressing his career, and we will be a desirable spot for some potential OCs. Schemes will change, vocabulary will change and there will be a learning curve, but Marion is not irreplaceable as a coordinator. I like him, and he’s very smart, but by no means would his departure sink this momentum.
I generally agree. If he ends up a head coach it will be at someplace like UTEP I think. We aren't losing any players to UTEP. But if he becomes an OC at Oklahoma? Then there may be reason for alarm. If he loves Maiava and they come up with a bunch of NIL money I doubt we can compete. I am more worried about him leaving for an OC job than a HC job. System wise hopefully they have someone internally or lined up elsewhere with a similar system so there aren't wholesale changes but I bet Odom has that covered.

Reactions: reagan21
I generally agree. If he ends up a head coach it will be at someplace like UTEP I think. We aren't losing any players to UTEP. But if he becomes an OC at Oklahoma? Then there may be reason for alarm. If he loves Maiava and they come up with a bunch of NIL money I doubt we can compete. I am more worried about him leaving for an OC job than a HC job. System wise hopefully they have someone internally or lined up elsewhere with a similar system so there aren't wholesale changes but I bet Odom has that covered.
If he loved Maiava so much, why did DB ever start?

OU will have their choice of better QBs than Maiava if this were to happen. There are already several P5 QB1's in the Portal, from Miss St, KSU, Miami to name 3.

Its a modified mix of spread/RPO with a triple option looks. Most OC candidates will be able to take the players here and insert them into what they want to do. There might be some turnover just because that is the case everywhere. Odom's got a good track record with OCs.

Syracuse never made any sense imo. I think our only threat right now is Houston.
I agree for Odom, but who can say with Marion. I'm just updating any carousel information here that I find sifting through twitter. Like I didn't include Hue Jackson leaving Grambling because I don't think that Marion would take a FCS HC position. Also the fact that this is a DB coach means that the carousel won't eat up another OC into the SEC from a Marion perspective.

Also, people on Twitter throw out alot of nonsense... who are they hearing it from.. I doubt anyone is seriously having that conversation casually enough that a someone could hear it and run to Twitter.. some people think he's the only choice if Odom was to leave and the only way we can win... I've already expressed why that's a bad idea.
For sure, im just asking what the Rebel Net community thinks lol

Biggest threat for Maiava would be a place like UCLA if Marion took the OC job there and the current QBs leave. Highly doubt that he would go to a place like UTEP unless the new OC has “his guy“ he wants to bring with him. That really would have to be a perfect storm though. Would be hard pressed to find a situation where an OC can bring in someone that is clearly better than Maiava.

Biggest threat for Maiava would be a place like UCLA if Marion took the OC job there and the current QBs leave. Highly doubt that he would go to a place like UTEP unless the new OC has “his guy“ he wants to bring with him. That really would have to be a perfect storm though. Would be hard pressed to find a situation where an OC can bring in someone that is clearly better than Maiava.
UCLA already has Marion's guy in Karson Gordon.
I know what you mean, hypothetically speaking.
Maiava will have his suitors, but remember some bigger schools were after him out of HS. Now his NIL value is probably up, and that is fair. But it may take a pretty big offer to get him out of Vegas.

Marion would take the kid he recruited here that de-committed and is at UCLA for track, he would have no need for Maiava!

I dont see big schools trying to poach Maiava. Idk why exactly, but I just dont.
This kind of statement or its derivatives to described or predicts is what seems to make me nervous. Maiava either very satified at UNLV or he's already made up his mind.

He's very set on Vegas...
He graduated locally, he took Liberty to pinnacle, he has now led UNLV historical season and is on biggest stage in program history...
I'm just speculating that he's probably happy to be at UNLV and unless something drastic changes, is our future for next 2-3 years

It’s all part of the business that we have never had the privilege to be apart of. Would love to see Odom and Marion stay, I think Marion has a better chance leaving after this year than Odom of course, but it’s the dynamic of college football these days. Hell even Oklahoma just dealt with it. Just hope to be in a good position and have momentum and funding to bring in another good hire. I would hate to see Marion leave and take another OC job, I think that will absolutely need to be addressed in order to keep him here instead of accepting another OC job elsewhere. My guess is Odom will be here one more year if he follows next season up with similar results. Should restructure his contract and make the buyout larger.

If he loved Maiava so much, why did DB ever start?
Probably because he is a freshman but I just used that as an example OU probably can get someone better but if he went to a big school I could see him potentially taking Maiava.

To Lobby’s question re Marion, I’d be hesitant to move him into the HC spot simply bc of his track record of moving around. Marion is super talented but he’s shown to have zero loyalty thus far. I get that coaches take advantage of opportunities but this guy is at a whole different level.

To Lobby’s question re Marion, I’d be hesitant to move him into the HC spot simply bc of his track record of moving around. Marion is super talented but he’s shown to have zero loyalty thus far. I get that coaches take advantage of opportunities but this guy is at a whole different level.
He has been. He got a root now in Vegas. We will see how he handle it now? I hope he stick around for his new family.
If he doesn't, I dont think it is a major consequences for UNLV football. They already have his playbook.

In regards to loyalty he's an assistant/coordinator. Most of those guys are always looking for a better gig. If opportunity presents itself you absolutely take it.

Don't forget UNLV has (nearly guaranteed) job security. Win 6+ games a year, top 3 every couple years, conference final every 3-4 years, and you're golden. Completely doable in the MWC. That's the way I see it anyways. We been bad for so long I'd say that's a successful head coach here.

Don't forget UNLV has (nearly guaranteed) job security. Win 6+ games a year, top 3 every couple years, conference final every 3-4 years, and you're golden. Completely doable in the MWC. That's the way I see it anyways. We been bad for so long I'd say that's a successful head coach here.
Odom could be our very own Rocky Long!

Here in Houston, UTSA's Traylor had a second interview with U of H and is thought to be the leader. Willie Fritz is thought to be the second choice

I know that we discussed Indiana as a possible destination but I’m glad that it’s been filled.

This was one I had zero worries about.

I think he does a good job there.

What that looks like.

8-4 losing to Iowa 3 to 2 in a game that features 27 punts.

Misses out on title game and the right to get crushed by Michigan or Ohio State.

An OC position at a P5 like Kansas might scare me a bit too.
Considering Jalon Daniels is the QB next year... yeah thats a big opening for an OC... Although they already announced it was filled by promoting the QB coach I believe.

Also note- KU's OC was a lifer with Liebold so that's a bit shocking and Penn St. must've had one heck of an offer.

This was one I had zero worries about.

I think he does a good job there.

What that looks like.

8-4 losing to Iowa 3 to 2 in a game that features 27 punts.

Misses out on title game and the right to get crushed by Michigan or Ohio State.
Same here he is too smart to take that job. Not many coaches get fired from two P5 schools and see a third so he won’t risk a potential last chance by coaching at Indiana or Vanderbilt.

It's an honest question and selfish but...
If you've been at a P5 job and got fired, and you're at a spot where you've got a good thing going, and you've decided it's not about money, and the school handles things right(raises, staff increases,etc.) In today's new playoff system would staying at a G5 with long term security (let's say 5+ years) and pushing to be a top tier G5, be better than a middle of the rung or P5 bottom feeder?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT