ADVERTISEMENT

More interviews coming

Indiana is not a good job. You're not finishing better than Michigan, Iowa, USC, Penn St., Iowa, Michigan St., UCLA, UW, or Oregon... at best you're finishing 8th each year, what established HC wants that other than shopping for a paycheck and if you listen to Odom and believe that, he doesn't shop for paychecks, never has...
Don’t forget Nebraska made the jump to the B10 and they have been awful most of the time!

Indiana is not a good job. You're not finishing better than Michigan, Iowa, USC, Penn St., Iowa, Michigan St., UCLA, UW, or Oregon... at best you're finishing 8th each year, what established HC wants that other than shopping for a paycheck and if you listen to Odom and believe that, he doesn't shop for paychecks, never has...

Definitely a ceiling there.

It sounds like Odom already did, lol... "Hey Dad, are we moving..."
"You don't think I'd talk to you?"...

I agree MAYBE Oregon St but none of the others make sense besides A&M and I don’t see that.
The problem with Oregon State is that at best it is now a lateral move with lower level facilities than UNLV has (Allegiant)! Most likely Oregon State will end up in the same conference as UNLV.

It's the Vanderbilt of the Big 10, not a good job.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
If you take Odom at his word he cares more about quality of life than money, that he doesn’t chase money as the number one priority. It definitely doesn’t guarantee he’ll stay but definitely does speak to him leaving only for the right opportunity. If we can boost his salary and if he really enjoys the benefits of Vegas, who knows maybe we can keep him a few years or more. If the MWC becomes the new PAC and there’s a legit shot at being part of the playoff picture, building a great program here with its facilities and national attraction of Vegas becomes much more reasonable conversation. Some big IFs but perhaps there’s an actual method to his madness of scoping out UNLV well before the job opened up.

The problem with Oregon State is that at best it is now a lateral move with lower level facilities than UNLV has (Allegiant)! Most likely Oregon State will end up in the same conference as UNLV.
They could pay more than we could that is the only difference.

I love our coach. I think there is a good he'll eventually end up at a higher position. But he needs to be careful what job he takes.

He's already been fired from one P5 job.

Many coaches in this position get a second P5 job depending on their next coaching success and connections. I think he's shown success and has good connections. But he needs to be sure the next job has a good chance of big success ( College playoffs or, even better, a final) quickly. Very few coaches get multiple shots ( beyond two) at P5 coaching jobs unless they can bring a team near to a Nat. Championship or win it. In that case they can get hired over and over. But if you don't get that success in your second try you probably are not getting a third. Therefore. teams like Vandy, Indiana etc. should be automatic no-go's for ODOM. He needs a team with huge booster support, a huge NIL base and hopefully a sugar daddy. He needs to see a path to quick success because with fans exerting more and more influence through social media a failing coach is canned faster and faster than happened previously.

Odom is a smart guy. I don't think anything is happening this year. But if he keeps it going he may get us into the 12 team playoff in a G5 spot. In fact, it may be easier here than in an also ran P 5 conference. If that happens there will be no keeping him because the really big guys will be coming.

Someone on Twitter said that they're hearing that if Odom leaves, Marion will be handed the HC job. What are yalls thoughts on if Marion becomes our HC?
For me? No thanks. I’d give it to out special teams guy before Marion. I’m done with the coordinator route. He could work out, I guess, but I think the Rebels finally went after a somewhat proven commodity.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Someone on Twitter said that they're hearing that if Odom leaves, Marion will be handed the HC job. What are yalls thoughts on if Marion becomes our HC?
Maybe he is the right guy but if you just hand it to him that’s a lazy hire just like the Kruger hire was. Got to go see what’s out there and if Marion is the best choice then offer him the job after doing a little work to come to that conclusion.

No... never again...
I like the guy as a coordinator and I'm sure he will be a good HC somewhere at some point...
If our only lesson we learn from the time Odom is at UNLV it should be that we never again hand our program over to a first time HC...
***not unless he and Odom are here for like 10+ yearstogether.-see SDSU Fisher/Dutch ... not 1 or 2...

Also, people on Twitter throw out alot of nonsense... who are they hearing it from.. I doubt anyone is seriously having that conversation casually enough that a someone could hear it and run to Twitter.. some people think he's the only choice if Odom was to leave and the only way we can win... I've already expressed why that's a bad idea.

That would be going backwards to UNLV hiring an assistant coach as the head coach. While he has unique qualities as an offensive coach, I think he is far away from having the skills to be a head coach at this time!

Reactions: LVRebel2000

Ok let's go down the rabbit hole. First where would Odom go.

What jobs are currently open.

The two biggest jobs Miss State and Texas A&M are taken.

Top jobs left P5:

Houston- I could see it. I think they have other targets but possible.

Indiana- Would be a money move only. Yeah it's a P4 job but it's not an easy one. Ceiling there is pretty low. Crazy as it sounds but with playoffs expanding, you probably have a better chance at a successful G5 school of getting into playoffs than you would at Indiana. I can't see it.

Oregon State- Sure. If their future was more clear. With the possible expansion talks of Wasu/Osu and MWC you'd basically be taking a job that would potentially see you in the same conference in two years. I don't seems like a strange move.

Duke- They've made strides. But not sure what their ceiling is, maybe better than Indiana since the ACC probably isn't as good top to bottom as the Big10. Again can't see it.

This job isn't open yet but could be

UCLA- I guess if money was right you take the job but seems a strange fit there no?

Syracuse- Can't see it, similiar to Duke/Indiana

G5-

UTEP- No
UNM- No
SDSU- No. Good job but they aren't gonna pay enough to make up the difference in taxes I don't think.
Boise State- Again, can't see it.

There's a few others like UL Monroe.

Ok back to main question about Marion..

Not sure I'd go that route to be honest. A lot would depend on who he could bring in on staff. Even then there's a lot of risk with that move.

I would definitely need to see who was out there first that had experience.

No... never again...
I like the guy as a coordinator and I'm sure he will be a good HC somewhere at some point...
If our only lesson we learn from the time Odom is at UNLV it should be that we never again hand our program over to a first time HC...
***not unless he and Odom are here for like 10+ yearstogether.-see SDSU Fisher/Dutch ... not 1 or 2...

I'd say yes but..

Say Odom has a 4 year run here. Program is in good shape. I don't think you can completely cross coordinators from your search.

Just for arguments sake would you rather grab a really good OC or DC from a P4 school or a guy like Mora Jr?

I'd definitely prefer a guy with HC experience but who's available and who would be interested would dictate a lot.

Reactions: reagan21
Marion could definitely recruit top talent to play here. Whether he would be a good HEAD coach right away is a different story.

I love our coach. I think there is a good he'll eventually end up at a higher position. But he needs to be careful what job he takes.

He's already been fired from one P5 job.

Many coaches in this position get a second P5 job depending on their next coaching success and connections. I think he's shown success and has good connections. But he needs to be sure the next job has a good chance of big success ( College playoffs or, even better, a final) quickly. Very few coaches get multiple shots ( beyond two) at P5 coaching jobs unless they can bring a team near to a Nat. Championship or win it. In that case they can get hired over and over. But if you don't get that success in your second try you probably are not getting a third. Therefore. teams like Vandy, Indiana etc. should be automatic no-go's for ODOM. He needs a team with huge booster support, a huge NIL base and hopefully a sugar daddy. He needs to see a path to quick success because with fans exerting more and more influence through social media a failing coach is canned faster and faster than happened previously.

Odom is a smart guy. I don't think anything is happening this year. But if he keeps it going he may get us into the 12 team playoff in a G5 spot. In fact, it may be easier here than in an also ran P 5 conference. If that happens there will be no keeping him because the really big guys will be coming.
I agree, after being fired from one P5 job his next one and potentially last chance will be the black hole known as Indiana? Nope no chance. Especially when next year we have the potential to be even better than this year. On offense, one of the most productive offenses in the country as it is, we return every skill position of note outside of RB where we still have Thomas. On defense we lose a few backup players and low end starters on the line and LB positions. Our biggest area of turnover is the secondary which is our greatest weakness so how much will that hurt anyway? I think a Tulane like run isn't out of the question next year. If that happens Odom will have a lot more opportunities better than Indiana or Houston. Unless he feels this year was a fluke with a now sophomore QB we should be even better.

I agree, after being fired from one P5 job his next one and potentially last chance will be the black hole known as Indiana? Nope no chance. Especially when next year we have the potential to be even better than this year. On offense, one of the most productive offenses in the country as it is, we return every skill position of note outside of RB where we still have Thomas. On defense we lose a few backup players and low end starters on the line and LB positions. Our biggest area of turnover is the secondary which is our greatest weakness so how much will that hurt anyway? I think a Tulane like run isn't out of the question next year. If that happens Odom will have a lot more opportunities better than Indiana or Houston. Unless he feels this year was a fluke with a now sophomore QB we should be even better.
I'm not saying Odom is leaving (definitely hope he stays), but predictions for next year are so premature. Must take into account the transfer portal before we know who will be here next year. We won't know what we have until spring ball comes around, IMO.

Reactions: Boston Rebel 2
I'm not saying Odom is leaving (definitely hope he stays), but predictions for next year are so premature. Must take into account the transfer portal before we know who will be here next year. We won't know what we have until spring ball comes around, IMO.
All of talk about Coach Odom leaving is very premature, IMO. He came here because he was so impressed with the facilities. He had immediate success here, the community has embraced him as he has done with our community. I think he wants to build something special. Also, he specifically stated that he's going to stay. Instead of wasting all of this time and effort on him moving on, let's talk about what it's going to take to defeat Boise.

This might be one of the most make or break years in UNLV (FB and BB) HISTORY!
Not really... We already exceeded expectations. The purse strings will be easier to loosen. If we lose an OC, we will be fine. We will continue to recruit at a high level.. We may have a conference title and 11 wins, not a coach entering their 3rd year after going 5-7 the past season...

Isn’t this what we all expected when Marion was hired? Time will tell if he leaves and we’ll know before our Bowl game if he’s gone, but no one should be surprised.

if he does leave, good for him for progressing his career, and we will be a desirable spot for some potential OCs. Schemes will change, vocabulary will change and there will be a learning curve, but Marion is not irreplaceable as a coordinator. I like him, and he’s very smart, but by no means would his departure sink this momentum.

Last edited:
Not really... We already exceeded expectations. The purse strings will be easier to loosen. If we lose an OC, we will be fine. We will continue to recruit at a high level.. We may have a conference title and 11 wins, not a coach entering their 3rd year after going 5-7 the past season...
well i am saying that ,because if we get a new HC in basketball or/and a new HC in football the whole staff is gone and a new OC some or most of the recruits might be gone. It could go from a good to worse in a blink of a eye.

No. Because regardless of what happens, even if Odom walked away after 1 year here, this job has instantly become an incredibly attractive position to the type of HC we want. Recruits come and go, We will continue to recruit at a high level. Thats what turning into a winner does. It doesnt instantly fall apart if the people in charge continue to make the decisions that got them to winning in the first place. and I never lose sleep over recruits or if the class might take a dip, good coaches develop talent regardless of the stars next to their names.

No. Because regardless of what happens, even if Odom walked away after 1 year here, this job has instantly become an incredibly attractive position to the type of HC we want. Recruits come and go, We will continue to recruit at a high level. Thats what turning into a winner does. It doesnt instantly fall apart if the people in charge continue to make the decisions that got them to winning in the first place. and I never lose sleep over recruits or if the class might take a dip, good coaches develop talent regardless of the stars next to their names.

It's more attractive..Definitely..

Let's say Odom walked after this year, who's your list of candidates with HC only experience.

Gary Patterson has expressed interest in coaching again but I would imagine there would be a fair number of suitors.

If Chip Kelly does get let go by UCLA would you take a stab at him? I would, but would he be interested? Would he rather take a year off?

Let's say Armageddon happens who are you offering the job?

I'm not saying Odom is leaving. I hope he doesn't, but am throwing this out for discussion.

Just for conversation purposes, Odom signed a 5 year contract for 9.75 million with UNLV. It's structured as 1.75, 1.75, 2, 2, 2.25, not counting incentives. So if he left after year 1, there would potentially be an $8 million buyout. That's chump change for schools like Texas A&M, and most upper level power conference schools. If a big name school wants to buy us out and pay him $3-4 million a year for a long term deal, I'm guessing he'd go. But that's just a guess.

But that wouldn't leave us in a terrible position either, as we'd have $8 million to spend on a new coach and/or coordinators. The timing can get difficult though, depending on when he would leave.

That buyout may be too big for the non-power conference schools, other than a few.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Isn’t this what we all expected when Marion was hired? Time will tell if he leaves and we’ll know before our Bowl game if he’s gone, but no one should be surprised.

if he does leave, good for him for progressing his career, and we will be a desirable spot for some potential OCs. Schemes will change, vocabulary will change and there will be a learning curve, but Marion is not irreplaceable as a coordinator. I like him, and he’s very smart, but by no means would his departure sink this momentum.

OC and offenses and DCs and defensive schemes constantly get copied, tweaked, guys put there own spin on it. The GO GO is just a tweak of other offenses.

I think where OCs shine and what separates them is in game and having a feel for when and what to call.

I’d have to look at the contract, but that’s not usually how buyouts work. There might be a “liquidated damages” clause that already has a number in mind if he leaves. Many have arbitration clauses that require an inspeneent arbitrator determine a buyout. The buyout is usually calculated at present value of the life of the context. Using your example $8MM in 4 years is worth less today. The arbitrator would determine that number.

OC and offenses and DCs and defensive schemes constantly get copied, tweaked, guys put there own spin on it. The GO GO is just a tweak of other offenses.

I think where OCs shine and what separates them is in game and having a feel for when and what to call.
Amen. As an Eagles fan (and acquaintance of Brian Johnson) he’s horrible at game planning, but awesome at adjusting and knowing when to call plays on the fly. To be honest, I wish he was better at game planning. I can’t take these bad 1st halves any longer. However, he’s shown his worth and ability to outthink defenses. Johnson knows how to be reactive and call plays based on what he sees. Thats a great skill to have

It's more attractive..Definitely..

Let's say Odom walked after this year, who's your list of candidates with HC only experience.

Gary Patterson has expressed interest in coaching again but I would imagine there would be a fair number of suitors.

If Chip Kelly does get let go by UCLA would you take a stab at him? I would, but would he be interested? Would he rather take a year off?

Let's say Armageddon happens who are you offering the job?
Patterson, Peterson, Jimbo(hahaha)... Nappier after Florida fires him

I’d have to look at the contract, but that’s not usually how buyouts work. There might be a “liquidated damages” clause that already has a number in mind if he leaves. Many have arbitration clauses that require an inspeneent arbitrator determine a buyout. The buyout is usually calculated at present value of the life of the context. Using your example $8MM in 4 years is worth less today. The arbitrator would determine that number.
Even if it's 6-7 million, that's still a good chunk of change though.

Reactions: reagan21
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT