ADVERTISEMENT

More interviews coming

If they really want you, they will wait. If they aren't going to wait, guess they didn't really care.

Also more jobs and opportunities open up after the season is done. Maybe better ones.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Can't blame people for trying to get a hire as soon as possible. The portal situation has just sped up the whole process and trying to keep talent as well as identifying talent to target has changed the way things are done.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
If they really want you, they will wait. If they aren't going to wait, guess they didn't really care.

Also more jobs and opportunities open up after the season is done. Maybe better ones.

That simply isn't the case. With the portal schools/ADs want to get guys in place as quickly as possible.

Say SDSU has two top candidates.

Gary Patterson and Marion.

If you're Marion are you letting Patterson interview and telling SDSU sit and wait for two or three weeks...

It would be the dumbest career move ever made.

That simply isn't the case. With the portal schools/ADs want to get guys in place as quickly as possible.

If you're Marion are you letting Patterson interview and telling SDSU sit and wait for two or three weeks...

For a coordinator, no, they're going to interview all over the place if they're sought after. For a current HC in the middle of trying to win a Championship, yes, Id be incredibly disappointed that they didnt handle the situation more professionally. You can keep the conversation open, you can discuss or have you agent discuss, but you should make it clear, youre not getting on any planes till the last whistle blows in the Championship game.

No it is the case. Which OCs have been hired from schools going to bowl games so far? I'll wait.

You must be the worlds worst negotiator. Also, stop responding to me on this subject. You're like psycho on this or something.

No it is the case. Which OCs have been hired from schools going to bowl games so far? I'll wait.

You must be the worlds worst negotiator. Also, stop responding to me on this subject. You're like psycho on this or something.
Mississippi State just hired Oklahoma's offensive coordinator. Oklahoma will be going to a bowl game.

Texas a&m just hired Duke's head coach Elko. Duke will be going to a bowl game.

For a coordinator, no, they're going to interview all over the place if they're sought after. For a current HC in the middle of trying to win a Championship, yes, Id be incredibly disappointed that they didnt handle the situation more professionally. You can keep the conversation open, you can discuss or have you agent discuss, but you should make it clear, youre not getting on any planes till the last whistle blows in the Championship game.

Agree on HC...

It would be great if things worked that way. But they just don't. These ADs are under all kinds of pressure from boosters as well.

Mississippi State just hired Oklahoma's offensive coordinator. Oklahoma will be going to a bowl game.

There you go..And you didn't have to wait...

You're making broad statements that this is exclusive to UNLV/Marion.

It isn't.

You now have an example.

Here's another.

Arroyo was talking with UNLV before Oregon's conference title game with Utah.

Last edited:
The usual norms don’t exist the way they used to. There is a right and wrong way to go about the process while you are at your current school. Everyone understands interviewing for other jobs, especially HC and coordinator jobs.

But there are other things coaches just shouldn’t do. It is a business. But that works both ways.

The usual norms don’t exist the way they used to. There is a right and wrong way to go about the process while you are at your current school. Everyone understands interviewing for other jobs, especially HC and coordinator jobs.

But there are other things coaches just shouldn’t do. It is a business. But that works both ways.

Yeah and I have an idea what you might be referencing.

Like putting your name out there with every job on social media?

Sometimes assistants are lifers, they’re loyal. A lot of times they are out for themselves. They want the top job of where they are at or they want one elsewhere. It’s their sole motivation with the job. We’ve seen it before, it’s nothing new … but like always, there’s a right way and a wrong way to go about it.

Sometimes assistants are lifers, they’re loyal. A lot of times they are out for themselves. They want the top job of where they are at or they want one elsewhere. It’s their sole motivation with the job. We’ve seen it before, it’s nothing new … but like always, there’s a right way and a wrong way to go about it.
And ps - with such freedoms now, you’ll see (and have been seeing) the same with recruits and roster players. Not “everyone”, but everyone wants the best deal for themselves. That’s the only loyalty.

Reactions: CRhodes1983

Take the interview. Don't broadcast it.

I think fans get a bit of an emotional attachment to their head coach. Coach wears UNLV gear every time you see him. He puts his heart and soul into coaching UNLV, however Coach Odom is not a UNLV rebel. He is a professional coach. Coaches at this level are trying to move up the ladder because it's big money and their lifelong dream most likely. It's the nature of the beast.

Anyway you look at it. UNLV needs to give Odom an extension and raise. Upon doing this the buyout also goes up. If he is poached more money for a better candidate. Plus it will make him more difficult to poach. Many might say not after one year but UNLV can't take the chance, they need to be proactive and not reactive with Odom then hope he isnt just a one year wonder.

Last edited:
I think fans get a bit of an emotional attachment to their head coach. Coach wears UNLV gear every time you see him. He puts his heart and soul into coaching UNLV, however Coach Odom is not a UNLV rebel. He is a professional coach. Coaches at this level are trying to move up the ladder because it's big money and their lifelong dream most likely. It's the nature of the beast.

You are correct. I don’t begrudge any coach leaving for a better opportunity, that’s the nature of the business, especially for a school like ours.

What I do have a problem with is how coaches go about getting those jobs. There should be a minimum amount of respect for your current employer. Plus how you do things affects your reputation inside the community. It’s a small world.

You are correct. I don’t begrudge any coach leaving for a better opportunity, that’s the nature of the business, especially for a school like ours.

What I do have a problem with is how coaches go about getting those jobs. There should be a minimum amount of respect for your current employer. Plus how you do things affects your reputation inside the community. It’s a small world.
From whatever has been reported, do you have a problem with how Marion is going about getting a potential new job?

Is Marion tweeting these reports himself? I haven't seen it, I have just seen other report what has been going on.
It's hard to do things on the hush hush these days.
If he truly is personally tweeting out all of his job interviews, then that is a bit poor taste.

Is Marion tweeting these reports himself? I haven't seen it, I have just seen other report what has been going on.
It's hard to do things on the hush hush these days.
If he truly is personally tweeting out all of his job interviews, then that is a bit poor taste.
He hasnt been tweeting anything himself.

Since this is a hot topic, Im just wondering what people think of how he is handling everything.

Since this is a hot topic, Im just wondering what people think of how he is handling everything.
No problem with it whatsoever. This is how the modern coaching carousel works. Most of these guys have agents these days--and a good agent will be making sure that they are not just accepting contacts for opportunities but reaching out and trying to further the coach's interests. If Marion wants to be a headman someplace if he can get any interview for a head coaching position then he should take it. If he can get an interview for the same job in a place that will pay him 7-10 times what he's making here then he should take it.

Shit, he'd be a moron not to in his shoes.

And if we're being fully honest, we knew getting Marion he wasn't sticking around long. He's been coaching for 12 years and has had 11 different jobs, he only stayed at Howard for more than one year. When we got him I figured 2-3 years was the ceiling of him sticking around and if he was gone in 1 year we either had an amazing year or a terrible one.

I think a lot of people, including myself, are invested in this coaching staff with the hope that we can keep them together for 2-3 years. A big change from wanting to fire the staff after the first 1-2 years!

Depends, Has it affected preparation for games? Im not sure it was entirely the offenses fault Saturday that the entire team looked unprepared to start. His play calling at times was definitely not what we would've wanted to see, but thats game planning/situation football we don't know about...
Now if they come out this week and the play calling is lackluster and ineffective and offensively we look unprepared, you could argue that it definitely affected the players and preparation.
As far as we know, hes just taken a call or 2 to discuss opportunities and then a lot of different bloggers/accounts mention him as a "target" for OC or HC, which we knew was always going to happen.

Lance Leipold is a good example of having lifers as parts of his staff. His OC is mentioned for jobs and turns them down because he likes to work with Lance. Same could be said with Dutcher and Fisher, yuck.. .but yes, its rare.

To be fair, all season Marion’s had some questionable play calls on 3rd and 4th and short. I don’t think him getting interviewed this week impacted that at all. You normally have a set package of plays for those downs and distances.

There you go..And you didn't have to wait...

You're making broad statements that this is exclusive to UNLV/Marion.

It isn't.

You now have an example.

Here's another.

Arroyo was talking with UNLV before Oregon's conference title game with Utah.
As was Morgan Scalley

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Odom in his press conference acknowledged this is the nature of the game with coordinators and his success of having OCs get good jobs... he's well aware it appears... also notes that he's not talked to a single person about another job, so the MSU report was false if you take him for his word, and even started talking with Harper when his name started popping up a month ago in rumors...

As was Morgan Scalley

Correct.

Personally I wish it was policy that guys couldn't interview until after the season.

On the flipside that would set a new staff back in terms of getting a jump start on recruiting. Especially in terms of player retention and the portal.

The idea that this isn't the norm now, or guys should risk waiting to take interviews is silly and not the reality of this day and age of football.

Take UNLV 4 years ago.

They had it narrowed down to three guys basically.

If any of them said not going to interview until after the season you move on. Heck one particular candidate was all but a done deal before a conference title game from what I understand and money for assistants was the hold up. (If I'm wrong correct me there)

If you are looking to be a coach you take the interview immediatel.

This isn't unique to UNLV it happens everywhere.

Reactions: CRhodes1983

Here are current openings. A couple have been filled

Of those listed

Boise State- I'll never say never but I seriously doubt it.

Houston- Maybe? But I think they are looking at guys like UTSA coach.

Duke- A better job than it use to be but I don't see it.

Indiana- That's a tough job. P5 but does he see that as a place he can win.

Mississippi State-Filled

New Mexico-Ok remember when I said I'll never say never. Never.

Oregon State- With all the uncertainty surrounding their future and conference affiliation not sure he'd take it.

UL Monroe- Why would he.

San Diego State - See Boise

Syracuse- Seriously doubt it.

Texas A&M-OK if they offered, it would be money UNLV couldn't dream matching. But I'm not seeing him linked to their search.

UTEP- Uh..No..

I think we're good for this year unless some other jobs pop open.

Last edited:
Here are current openings. A couple have been filled

Of those listed

Boise State- I'll never say never but I seriously doubt it.

Houston- Maybe? But I think they are looking at guys like UTSA coach.

Duke- A better job than it use to be but I don't see it.

Indiana- That's a tough job. P5 but does he see that as a place he can win.

Mississippi State-Filled

New Mexico-Ok remember when I said I'll never say never. Never.

Oregon State- With all the uncertainty surrounding their future and conference affiliation not sure he'd take it.

UL Monroe- Why would he.

San Diego State - See Boise

Syracuse- Seriously doubt it.

Texas A&M-OK if they offered, it would be money UNLV couldn't dream matching. But I'm not seeing him linked to their search.

UTEP- Uh..No..

I think we're good for this year unless some other jobs pop open.
I agree MAYBE Oregon St but none of the others make sense besides A&M and I don’t see that.

I actually think that Indiana is a viable option for him, as is Houston. He’s a hot name having turned us around so quickly. Maybe it was a weak schedule. Maybe losing at home to SJSU tarnishes him a bit. I don’t know.

I just think that those two would be good for him since he’s Midwest and they get him closer to his roots (or at least I perceive him as having that personality if his only connection came by coaching Missouri and at Arkansas).

I also doubt that either would pull the trigger on him this quickly in his return to HC’ing.

I think that taking the Oregon State job sets up that HC for failure if he stays longer than two years. The ability to recruit will get worse having lost the cache of P5. Also, they are now scheduling the likes of us, not USC, UCLA, etc.

Once they regress to their mean, the coach may get viewed negatively.

Indiana is not a good job. You're not finishing better than Michigan, Iowa, USC, Penn St., Iowa, Michigan St., UCLA, UW, or Oregon... at best you're finishing 8th each year, what established HC wants that other than shopping for a paycheck and if you listen to Odom and believe that, he doesn't shop for paychecks, never has...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT