ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Stoops?

1) I will murder @bcvegaspt suggests a kicker for HC.
2) @bcvegaspt is an idiot.

Legit logical list of candidates based on Harper wanting HC experience and UNLV presumed budget.

No particular order.

Gary Patterson (Seemed like a no but)
Kevin Sumlin (Don't think so)
Mike Stoops (Maybe as nuclear option)
Bryan Harsin (Doubtful)
Chris Peterson (Does he want one more run? be #2 behind Patterson for me)
Rich Rodriguez
Dan Mullen (Doubt it not West Coadt guy)
Bronco Mendenhall

Two FCS Possibilities maybe as fall back options. Not advocating just saying they may be considered if things go sideways.

Jay Hill at Weber State
Troy Taylor Sacremento State

Seem like realistic plausible names?
Harbaugh for the Ravens was a ST coach before his good run with the Ravens (just pointing this out to those who want to murder me).

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
That would be a great hire.
How would this be a great hire? He got fired from his only HC job then got hired by his brother and he proceeded to field some of the worst defenses in OU history and ultimately getting fired. He’s a known hot head that can’t communicate well enough for kids these days and OU had to stick him up in the booth because it was so embarrassing watching him have sideline meltdowns.

Reactions: Sharktank91
How would this be a great hire? He got fired from his only HC job then got hired by his brother and he proceeded to field some of the worst defenses in OU history and ultimately getting fired. He’s a known hot head that can’t communicate well enough for kids these days and OU had to stick him up in the booth because it was so embarrassing watching him have sideline meltdowns.

He wasn't referring to Mike Stoops but another candidate that was mentioned.

The consensus here is Stoops should only be a nuclear option if every other viable candidate falls through.

Almost everybody gets fired from their HC job. Not many last 8 year. He’s been overall the best coach at Zona in the last 30 years. He also has has produced some of the best defenses in Ok and Zona history. He’s not who I would want to coach unlv, but I’m not understanding why the average fan thinks he’s not good enough for this job.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Almost everybody gets fired from their HC job. Not many last 8 year. He’s been overall the best coach at Zona in the last 30 years. He also has has produced some of the best defenses in Ok and Zona history. He’s not who I would want to coach unlv, but I’m not understanding why the average fan thinks he’s not good enough for this job.
I wouldn’t consider myself the average fan which is why I gave examples of why he would be a bad hire that literally no one here has mentioned. I graduated from OU and had a couple connections on staff during Mikes last round and the stories I’ve heard are worrisome. The game has passed him by and he can no longer communicate effectively. Nicest way to put it.

Podcast this AM with Joe A. was really talking up Donte Williams of USC saying he is one of best recruiters there is and he would bring some USC assistants with him. Does sound impressive and he would keep many players from jumping into the portal.

Podcast this AM with Joe A. was really talking up Donte Williams of USC saying he is one of best recruiters there is and he would bring some USC assistants with him. Does sound impressive and he would keep many players from jumping into the portal.
He may end up being a fantastic HC, but that is basically Arroyo 2.0 without coordinating experience. Very boom or bust type of hire. Experienced coordinators would be key in my opinion

He may end up being a fantastic HC, but that is basically Arroyo 2.0 without coordinating experience. Very boom or bust type of hire. Experienced coordinators would be key in my opinion
He doesn't even have Arroyo's CV, sadly. He's not even the DC at USC. He's 3-7 as an interim HC at USC, his one season as the AHC was the implosion under Clay Helton's last season. He's never been a coordinator, and USC's DBs have been talented but haven't really put out a ton of quality product on field--look how they tackle for instance.

Arroyo was the OC at Oregon and had a top 25 Offense each of his 3 years, as well as being the AHC during their most recent Rose Bowl run. Williams is a GREAT recruiter, but we need someone that gets football in shape fast, not another guy learning on the job imho.

He doesn't even have Arroyo's CV, sadly. He's not even the DC at USC. He's 3-7 as an interim HC at USC, his one season as the AHC was the implosion under Clay Helton's last season. He's never been a coordinator, and USC's DBs have been talented but haven't really put out a ton of quality product on field--look how they tackle for instance.

Arroyo was the OC at Oregon and had a top 25 Offense each of his 3 years, as well as being the AHC during their most recent Rose Bowl run. Williams is a GREAT recruiter, but we need someone that gets football in shape fast, not another guy learning on the job imho.

Couple years as a DC, maybe I'd consider it.

As is, hard pass.

Reactions: 76RunninRebel
Couple years as a DC, maybe I'd consider it.

As is, hard pass.
For me, it's the hire of last resort because there IS recruiting on the upside. Now if he could bring in a staff that had some serious OC/DC/AHC with a ton of experience it could deflect some of his shortcomings then I could listen, but really as that I don't want to settle for a Football Marvin Menzies. I'd rather have upside then.
But I would not be pumped if that's who we ended up with.

For me, it's the hire of last resort because there IS recruiting on the upside. Now if he could bring in a staff that had some serious OC/DC/AHC with a ton of experience it could deflect some of his shortcomings then I could listen, but really as that I don't want to settle for a Football Marvin Menzies. I'd rather have upside then.
But I would not be pumped if that's who we ended up with.
I get it. But if it is Williams vs a guy with baggage like Mike Stoops, which way would you roll? Also, power is with the players now more than ever. Having the most ace recruiter outside of Deion Sanders does mean more than ever these days.

I get it. But if it is Williams vs a guy with baggage like Mike Stoops, which way would you roll? Also, power is with the players now more than ever. Having the most ace recruiter outside of Deion Sanders does mean more than ever these days.
I think that's a tough but fair question. I don't love Stoops very much--but I think he's got a higher floor especially in the short term than Williams. However, Williams clearly has more upside. If I had to Sophie's choice between the two it would really depend on the staff they were planning on bringing on.

If Stoops shows up with young, hot recruiting coordinators who are mentioned in the same breath as Williams how do you go?

If Williams shows up with a coordinator who has HC experience, especially at P5 institution how does that change the landscape?

To answer your question, given the current conference instability, I want a guy who gets UNLV respectable as fast as possible, and I think that it's probably easier to do with Stoops. But I understand someone being more enamored with the upside recruiting.

I would roll with a proven head coach. Even an FCS head coach. I want someone who has already had to make final decisions on a program's fate and live with the consequences.
Take a business. If I was on a board that was changing CEO's because the company was not living up to growth and profitability I would only consider hiring someone that had experience as a CEO. He may be head of a smaller company, he may have fallen out of favor etc. But wouldn't settle on CFO or COO because they have not had to make the tough decisions and don't want to pay them for on-the-job training.

I quit twitter in October (for the 3rd time). By what you guys post on this thread, it appears I made the right decision. What a crap store of (mostly) wrong information.

I’m still pretty optimistic with this hire but Peterson ain’t happening. I expect things to pick up this week now that conference championships are done. Hopefully have a coach by the weekend.

Mike Stoops with the Jim Livengood support might actually happen. I don’t know much about Mike Stoops. Which tells you how if this happen will go with me.

My order of preference based off the rumored names:

1) Chris Peterson
2) Gary Patterson
3) Bob Stoops
4) Bryan Harsin
5) Bo Pelini
6) Donte Williams
7) Jay Hill
8) Kevin Sumlin
9) Mike Stoops
Shit, based on that list, UNLV is definitely hiring Mike Stoops

But he's recruiting to USC not UNLV. Two totally different programs to get kids to commit to
There's an undeniable truth to that. But there is also some truth that the guys that can recruit have that salesman gene and while they might not be able to rip out a top 10 class, but you will get guys that are more highly touted. But yeah, anyone selling you a dream of a top 25 class at UNLV out the door is kind of dreaming and I'd hate anyone to wake me up from that dream either.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT