ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Stoops?

I'm still flabbergasted that Mike Stoops is even being mentioned. If it weren't for his brothers he would have been out of coaching. I'd take Alex Grinch over the worst Stoops brother.

Reactions: RebelSoldat
I'm still flabbergasted that Mike Stoops is even being mentioned. If it weren't for his brothers he would have been out of coaching. I'd take Alex Grinch over the worst Stoops brother.

I'd rather have K-State DC than Stoops.

One thing for Stoops, have to imagine he could put a solid staff together right?

I'd rather have K-State DC than Stoops.

One thing for Stoops, have to imagine he could put a solid staff together right?
I both sighed and rolled my eyes. He's definitely part of the coaching fraternity and the Stoops name carries some weight.

Realistically, he'd have to assemble a really good staff with some big names and show a path of succession for me to consider someone who is essentially a nepotism positional coach at a SEC school.

Mike Stoops.

He's the other chick in Fleetwood Mac

The ugly Judd sister not named Ashley.

He's Art Garfunkel.

Damn it man I want Stevie Nicks singing The Chain not that other chick singing that B-Side no air play crap!
The “other chick,” a little less flashy, not a total coke head, was named Christine McVie, who passed earlier this week, RIP. She wrote and sang more hits for that band than Stevie Nicks. The big splash isn’t necessarily best. The PAC 12 will be impressed if we get it right, like it’s starting to seem like we did with CKK.

Reactions: RebelSoldat
The “other chick,” a little less flashy, not a total coke head, was named Christine McVie, who passed earlier this week, RIP. She wrote and sang more hits for that band than Stevie Nicks. The big splash isn’t necessarily best. The PAC 12 will be impressed if we get it right, like it’s starting to seem like we did with CKK.

It was a joke. I know who Christine McVie was. She's less well known. Everyone knows Stevie Nicks.

Here. Mike Stoops is the bassist for Van Halen. Better?

I hardly consider interviewing Kevin Sumlin as a flashy hire or Harsin. I've even argued a guy like Morgan Scalley, The Sacremento State HC and the Kansas State DC should be considered. I'd love to hear your argument for Mike Stoops who this thread is about being a good hire.

I wouldn't even have an issue with Stoops if he is the fallback to the fallback options. He shouldn't be the name gaining a lot of traction this early in the process though. It may well just be smoke, but there are to me better options that wouldn't break the bank if they were interested.

Last edited:

Everyone is dying left & right..

Harper is the best AD since Baepler.I just loved that he canned Arroyo like it was nothing.
Donald Baepler was the president of the university starting in 1973. Never the AD. He had a vision for UNLV basketball and it wasn’t to be the Harvard of the west like the ass clown who came later.

I agree that Harper was the man for not wasting time and showing Arroyo the door without an extra BS courtesy year. Now, it’s about hiring the right guy for the needle and perception to move. This Stoops and Sumlin crap won’t cut it.

Last edited:
Been out as an head coach. Been working at Oklahoma, Alabama, Florida Atlantic and Kentucky since. Definitely not out of the game. At places that built football cultures.

Again I’m not Stoops guy.

I’m just not understanding the thought process that we should be getting Urban Myer or Rick Pitnio lmao.

I get it we’re all UNLV fans, but most people don’t care about this program as much as we do and the program doesn’t have the money to get those guys even there was interest.
Laugh all you want but we could have easily had Pitino this last go around because he was damaged goods. Yeah Iona could afford him but UNLV couldn’t? If someone mentioned Urban Meyer they were likely joking but he’s in a similar boat. Damaged goods. Also, Too many strip clubs here for Urban.

You have to remember the plan is to get to a higher conference. At some point the fans and university need to think bigger to get bigger. So many fans have an small conference mentality and that is not the plan. I don’t doubt that UNLV may screw it up but that’s the plan. This coaching search should send a message as to the intentions. That’s why I liked Rick Neuisals inside knowledge mention of Patterson and Pac-12 announcements.

Reactions: brentjg
Laugh all you want but we could have easily had Pitino this last go around because he was damaged goods. Yeah Iona could afford him but UNLV couldn’t? If someone mentioned Urban Meyer they were likely joking but he’s in a similar boat. Damaged goods. Also, Too many strip clubs here for Urban.

You have to remember the plan is to get to a higher conference. At some point the fans and university need to think bigger to get bigger. So many fans have a small conference mentality and that is not the plan. I don’t doubt that UNLV may screw it up but that’s the plan. This coaching search should send a message as to the intentions. That’s why I liked Rick Neuisals inside knowledge mention of Patterson and Pac-12 announcements.
Didn’t mean last go around with Pitnio. Just the last two decades every time a coach is fired he’s the first name that comes up every time.

Agreed on thinking bigger. I just don’t think average fan understands how to get there. You do it by winning and building a culture. Doesn’t necessarily have to be the flashy name. Few of us on this board supported Kruger and now he’s 8-0. Why is it working? He plays defense, building a culture and wants to be here.

We’ve had poor leadership for decades at unlv. TKM was completely over her head. Desiree thought short term, because this was stop gate for her. Harper comes from a football background and understands the game. Way more than the average fan. Love that he was over Arroyo’s excuses and is in win now mode. Not understanding all the crying on this site. Finally have an AD that is football minded and taking action for the right reasons. Let’s just see how it plays out on the field first.

Reactions: Rebel Hoya
It was a joke. I know who Christine McVie was. She's less well known. Everyone knows Stevie Nicks.

I hardly consider interviewing Kevin Sumlin as a flashy hire or Harsin. I've even argued a guy like Morgan Scalley, The Sacremento State HC and the Kansas State DC should be considered. I'd love to hear your argument for Mike Stoops who this thread is about being a good hire.

I wouldn't even have an issue with Stoops if he is the fallback to the fallback options. He shouldn't be the name gaining a lot of traction this early in the process though. It may well just be smoke, but there are to me better options that wouldn't break the bank if they were interested.
I don’t have an argument for Stoops. I don’t disagree with anything in your last post. It’s late where I am and I got a little cranky and snarky on your metaphor. I apologize for not taking it as a joke. Like you, I just want them to make the right hire.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1

Which Van Halen bassist are you referring to? Michael Anthony or Wolfgang Van Halen? Michael Anthony is closer to Bob Stoops than Mike Stoops, Wolfie is more like Deion Sanders.

You have to remember the plan is to get to a higher conference. At some point the fans and university need to think bigger to get bigger. So many fans have an small conference mentality and that is not the plan. I don’t doubt that UNLV may screw it up but that’s the plan. This coaching search should send a message as to the intentions. That’s why I liked Rick Neuisals inside knowledge mention of Patterson and Pac-12 announcements.

Fans need to think bigger...?

If I say Nick Saban three times and click my heels will it happen?

Kevin Sumlin consistently won 7 to 8 games at Texas A&M. Better than what Jimbo is doing right now. Would you take Jimbo? He's got a national title. I'm not crazy about Sumlin, but it's crazy to think Sumlin would be beneath UNLV.

You constantly leave out some important factors.

These big time coaches have to actually want to come here.

Tom Herman would have been a great hire. Gary Patterson would be a great hire.

They may also have zero interest in coming to or living in Las Vegas. Their families or' wives may not want to live in Las Vegas. They may look at UNLV and think even with the new facilities and stadium, there isn't enough booster support to build a winner here. All that stuff matters.

Plus these guys have ears to the ground. They have an idea about what schools are going to possibly get poached for realignment. Maybe UNLV isn't one of them and they figure what's the point. I'll hold out for another P5 job.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmcnamaraiii
I don’t have an argument for Stoops. I don’t disagree with anything in your last post. It’s late where I am and I got a little cranky and snarky on your metaphor. I apologize for not taking it as a joke. Like you, I just want them to make the right hire.

No need for an apology. Maybe should have gone with Van Halen bassist to begin with considering her recent passing. Actually might be funnier.

Reactions: frock133
Which Van Halen bassist are you referring to? Michael Anthony or Wolfgang Van Halen? Michael Anthony is closer to Bob Stoops than Mike Stoops, Wolfie is more like Deion Sanders.

Damn it man!

Bob is Eddie! Mark is Alex and Mike is the bassist, the least famous guy. Wait there's four guys in the band, this doesn't work.

Ok..

Mike Stoops is the other guy in Rush!

Bob is N. Pert Mark is Geddy Lee and Mike is the other guy..

Last edited:
Reactions: LuvMeSomeRebs
I am a life long UK fan. I came over to read about your thoughts on Stoops.

1)After reading your passionate posts I could identify with you guys. We too have a conservative AD.

2) In my opinion, you’re right about Stoops. He was given a unit that was the best of our defense before he got there. The one bright spot is our last linebacker coach just won his conference championship(new head coach at Troy) . Honestly, that’s who I would go after. But that’s not your question. So our last LB coach looks to be a winner as a HC.

3) I think neither Sumlin or Stoops is your guy. It’s lazy on your AD’s part. My guess is he has somebody hired to help the search. It reeks of agents pushing instead of a search to find somebody who could change the culture of UNLV football. Never settle for the “well we didn’t have the $” excuse. There is always dozens of huge winners out there nobody has found yet on a staff. My opinion is those retreads won’t do much but suck $ out of your university by their agent.

4) 100% you could have and still could have Pitino. UNLV would be a perfect spot for his ego. He would win huge with you guys. $ isn’t important to him at this stage. But he will bolt given any chance with a bigger stage.

I’m rooting for you guys on the coaching search. It is just an unfair fight with most of the AD’s vs. agents. It needs to be fixed for all of us die hard fans that deserve better.

I think y'all are underestimating the Mike of the family. The guy can coach. I think he'll do well with your Rebs. Give him a couple of years. I can say his brother Mark is an absolute player's coach. His players respect and go to bat for him and vice versa. Mike seemed like a nice guy and cut out of the same mold as Mark and Bob in the short time he was in Lexington.

Reactions: jmcnamaraiii
I’m not seeing a big difference between Sumlin and Stoops.

Patterson is the clear guys everyone wants, but if we can get him then either of these guys is a clear upgrade from arroyo.

Stoops had a better stint at Arizona than Sumlin did. Think Harper is trying to build a culture. Stoops was HC at Zona for 8 years. Been at Oklahoma and Alabama.

He would be able to build the defense up. That’s how Boise and San Diego St. have won over the years. Be able to recruit the south well.

No problems if Stoops is the guy. It’s not sexy, but neither was hiring Kevin, which I was a fan of. I’d rather win and have unlv actually build a culture vs. a flashy coach.

Honestly would be more interesting to see who he would bring in as offensive coordinator and the rest of the staff.
As a UK fan this is what I'll say. Sometimes you just have to take your medicine and go for the slow steady build even when you want the flashy name. Culture is vital when building a program who is not considered a "winner". I would know being a lifelong UK fan but you have to have to also have a AD who is willing to stick to the plan even through some really tough years.

Welcome to the Kats fans, I always appreciate friendly fans from other forums.
4) 100% you could have and still could have Pitino. UNLV would be a perfect spot for his ego. He would win huge with you guys. $ isn’t important to him at this stage. But he will bolt given any chance with a bigger stage.

I’m rooting for you guys on the coaching search. It is just an unfair fight with most of the AD’s vs. agents. It needs to be fixed for all of us die hard fans that deserve better.
I agree with points 1-3, but on point 4 I don't think there's any way we end up with Pitino. We fired a relatively successful young coach mid-season because we thought we had Pitino wrapped up in the in the early aughts, but he spurned us for several reasons, not the least of which the incompetence of our AD and Administration at the time and ended up with Charlie Spoonhour. Which is like going into the Bugatti dealership and walking out with a 1991 Buick Regal. Pitino ended up at Louisville.

After Otz took the job at ISU, there was again talk about Pitino despite him having the NCAA issues looming (the weren't really resolved yet and having an Iona contract that probably could have been bought out with enough booster support--Pitino wasn't interested.

Believing that Pitino has a shot to come to UNLV is like believing in Santa Claus. It might make you feel warm and fuzzy, but it's all your imagination. It's got zero basis in reality.
I think y'all are underestimating the Mike of the family. The guy can coach. I think he'll do well with your Rebs. Give him a couple of years. I can say his brother Mark is an absolute player's coach. His players respect and go to bat for him and vice versa. Mike seemed like a nice guy and cut out of the same mold as Mark and Bob in the short time he was in Lexington.
We saw what he could do in Arizona, he assembled a solid staff and had some fair success at a basketball school in a P5 conference. But once he lost his coordinators he was unable to maintain even that small amount of success. He never started nor ended a season ranked in the top 25, he has a career .451 win% (which is enough to be in the UNLV coaches hall of fame hahaha), went to just 3 bowl games in 8 years and despite the administration there giving him PLENTY of time to build a program, he couldn't keep those desert cats relevant or competitive. RichRod got much better results just after he left using mostly Stoops players.

As a UK fan this is what I'll say. Sometimes you just have to take your medicine and go for the slow steady build even when you want the flashy name. Culture is vital when building a program who is not considered a "winner". I would know being a lifelong UK fan but you have to have to also have a AD who is willing to stick to the plan even through some really tough years.
Like I said, I appreciate you guys here. And I know how long and how much patience you guys have shown to your football program at a basketball school. It's a comparison of fruits, but it's just not apples to apples at this point.

First of all UK (and UofL to a lesser extent) are nearly religions in Kentucky. Both have large pools of dedicated donors and alumni who support the programs financially. There are no competing professional sports franchises. UK and UofL ARE the professional sports franchises in Kentucky. UNLV is a young school (founded 1957) and most of our biggest boosters came from other universities. Our boosters are divided and consistently take their money and go home when they don't get what they want. And now we have an immensely popular NHL team and the Raiders, with lots of rumors about MLB and NBA being on the horizon. Our sports money just isn't focused like it is for you guys.

Hell, UK's basketball team makes more money than our Football team before you even consider a dime from being in the $EC. The last UK budget I could find was 145.1 million for 2021. Our 2020 budget was 40.2 million (which was further reduced by 1.7 million due to covid--but that hurt everyone.).

Take all that into consideration and the further consider that right now with all the conference realignment, there's a very short window for us to get a power 5 invite, and the albatross around our neck is our Football program. We have the athletic facilities--though the Thomas and Mack desperately needs renovation soon, but even with that we probably have top end facilities for any G5 school. Our academics have been developed very strongly and we now have a Medical School, and Law School, and a Dentistry School, along with several other very good programs and Tier 1 research accreditation.

This is our window to get some of that P5 resources. We just don't have the advantage of getting that SEC paycheck, and if we try and go with a patient hire we will most likely miss this window and once this one closes I don't know if the big schools will let another open anytime soon.

So while I agree that patience is needed to change culture a lot of times, I would counter that with the right hire you can switch your culture much more quickly and put a good product on the field, the clock is ticking and I don't think we can go for the opposite field single and then the sacrifice bunt if you'll forgive the baseball analogy. We need a double at least, and we need it now.

So forgive me if I'm not doing a happy dance for a LB coach hired by his brother who last had a winning season as a head coach in 2010.

Hopefully it’s not Stoops. CBSSports/USC guy hearing another name.

Yeah. And some coaches summons every but if social media friends they can to make things true or not true.

You remember gottlieb to unlv? 100% fabrication from his camp. UNLV had zero interest.

Stoops, however, I can see, as a fallback perhaps.

Yeah. And some coaches summons every but if social media friends they can to make things true or not true.

You remember gottlieb to unlv? 100% fabrication from his camp. UNLV had zero interest.

Stoops, however, I can see, as a fallback perhaps.
Apparently cravens got Prime right. We’ll see 🤷‍♂️

Always love these types of updates. So open ended that you’re always going to right. He said Stoops was ”done” earlier. I know he’s trying to make a name for himself in the business, but needs to make sure he’s posting accurate information
I read a few saying Sumlin was done … that it was the worst kept secret. Smdh at know nothings that guess - the guessing isn’t the problem, everyone guesses. The acting like an authority and stating it without actually prefacing it as an opinion … just to give wiggle room when you are wrong … so many people crave those cyber props, likes, and hearts, follows - to me it’s pathetic to crave shallow validation from a bunch of people you don’t know in cyberspace. It’s like you’re so unaccomplished or unremarkable in your real life that you need to plump up that ego virtually.

Always love these types of updates. So open ended that you’re always going to right. He said Stoops was ”done” earlier. I know he’s trying to make a name for himself in the business, but needs to make sure he’s posting accurate information

Every name he's posted as a done deal, are names that have been floated on message boards this past week.

If you leave it open ended you can never be wrong.

Reactions: LocoRebel
I will say his follow up tweet is interesting about it “breaking hearts” and transfer portal going crazy. Not that I believe there is any substance to it, just can’t think of who that would be. Of course those comments could be embellished as well.

I will say his follow up tweet is interesting about it “breaking hearts” and transfer portal going crazy. Not that I believe there is any substance to it, just can’t think of who that would be. Of course those comments could be embellished as well.

Couple things about it.

He's actually really knowledgeable in his breakdowns of games.

Huge following. Former big time recruit player at USC.

Anyway he probably knows somebody. Probably has some ears on the ground.

He's also playing the throw enough crap at the wall see what sticks game.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sumlin or Stoops haven't even been brought in to be interviewed yet or even will be.

They both do make some sense though for UNLV based on Harper saying he wanted HC experience. So not crazy that their names were thrown out there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT