ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Stoops?

I'm hearing from my sources that UNLV is very close to signing June Jones, Paul Johnson, and Mouse Davis as a package deal! Allegiant Stadium is about to see the Run 'n Shoot in all of its glory!

I'm hearing from my sources that UNLV is very close to signing June Jones, Paul Johnson, and Mouse Davis as a package deal! Allegiant Stadium is about to see the Run 'n Shoot in all of its glory!

Well with Paul Johnson wouldn't it be more like the Triple Shoot Option? Or The Run and Option Shoot?

Regardless at some point it results in Paul punching June on the sidelines for refusing to run the ball.

Reactions: RebelSoldat
As a follow up to the “mystery candidate” thrown out by Cravens, Arrigo seems to know who it is. Not excited at all as I doubt the legitimacy of the report and even if true, think UNLV would find a way to screw it up. Just not sure who would fit that profile.

As a follow up to the “mystery candidate” thrown out by Cravens, Arrigo seems to know who it is. Not excited at all as I doubt the legitimacy of the report and even if true, think UNLV would find a way to screw it up. Just not sure who would fit that profile.

Its Kevin Sumlin.
Its Mike Stoops.
Its mystery candidate that you all will be excited by.

So sources said go ahead tweet the world that Mike Stoops or Kevin Sumlin are close to being named UNLVs new HC, but don't name this guy?

Not sure how this makes any sense.

Was the same source wrong about Sumlin and Stoops? Is it a different source?

Cofield (I think) said Sumlin was never being considered. Which would make those earlier tweets wrong. (If it was Cofield and he was right).

I don't know it feels like a lot of grasping at straws hoping to pick the right one. Plus super open ended.

If the hire is a dud, say other earth shattering candidate fell through.

If it is a big hire its SEE! I TOLD YOU!

I mean we've been throwing Sumlin out there since the day after Arroyo was fired.

Well with Paul Johnson wouldn't it be more like the Triple Shoot Option? Or The Run and Option Shoot?

Regardless at some point it results in Paul punching June on the sidelines for refusing to run the ball.

What Paul Johnson was doing at Georgia Tech was basically what Mouse Davis' original run and shoot looked like

Yes
Its Kevin Sumlin.
Its Mike Stoops.

So sources said go ahead tweet the world that Mike Stoops or Kevin Sumlin are close to being named UNLVs new HC, but don't name this guy?

Cofield (I think) said Sumlin was never being considered. Which would make those earlier tweets wrong. (If it was Cofield and he was right).

I don't know it feels like a lot of grasping at straws hoping to pick the right one. Plus super open ended.

I mean we've been throwing Sumlin out there since the day after Arroyo was fired
Its Kevin Sumlin.
Its Mike Stoops.

I mean we've been throwing Sumlin out there since the day after Arroyo was fired.
I absolutely agree. Very little (if any) substance behind the report, just was curious who they were talking about. As much as they are hyping it, it becomes less open ended. Would have a hard time saying “see, big name” if it was Harsin or someone like that. Who knows, have already spent more time on it than I should have

Yes

I absolutely agree. Very little (if any) substance behind the report, just was curious who they were talking about. As much as they are hyping it, it becomes less open ended. Would have a hard time saying “see, big name” if it was Harsin or someone like that. Who knows, have already spent more time on it than I should have
Considering the original source is a USC media guy, and Arrigo is a USC guy, I’m guessing they are talking about Donte Williams from USC.

If you read Arrigo’s recent article on candidates, Williams is listed first and Arrigo went on and on about how good of a recruiter he is, which aligns with these mysterious tweets.

Only thing is that I’m not sure hiring Williams would equal “best hire behind Prime” or “Grand Slam hire” etc. However, it would feel more exciting than some other names being mentioned, but also very similar to CMA’s background (aside from interim HC experience)

Considering the original source is a USC media guy, and Arrigo is a USC guy, I’m guessing they are talking about Donte Williams from USC.

If you read Arrigo’s recent article on candidates, Williams is listed first and Arrigo went on and on about how good of a recruiter he is, which aligns with these mysterious tweets.

Only thing is that I’m not sure hiring Williams would equal “best hire behind Prime” or “Grand Slam hire” etc. However, it would feel more exciting than some other names being mentioned, but also very similar to CMA’s background (aside from interim HC experience)

It's a long way from previous HC experience to USC defensive backs coach. Dudes got some recruiting chops but...

For a little perspective Arrigo also beats the drum for Tim Skipper to get the job. So there is that.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Man can someone make a freaking list of who are the legit candidates or are we going to be held hostage by updates by random guys on twitter?!! Someone, anyone can you help clear the air before my man bcvegaspt suggest a kicker for the Rebels HC position! Lol

Man can someone make a freaking list of who are the legit candidates or are we going to be held hostage by updates by random guys on twitter?!! Someone, anyone can you help clear the air before my man bcvegaspt suggest a kicker for the Rebels HC position! Lol
Who on any of our boards has any inside information about anything in the program these days. Joe? Seems like this time he's just in the dark as the rest of us. Twitter seems to be better than nothing though not marginally so.

Who on any of our boards has any inside information about anything in the program these days. Joe? Seems like this time he's just in the dark as the rest of us. Twitter seems to be better than nothing though not marginally so.
True, but I thought I would at least ask though, this is crazy!

1) I will murder @bcvegaspt suggests a kicker for HC.
2) @bcvegaspt is an idiot.

Legit logical list of candidates based on Harper wanting HC experience and UNLV presumed budget.

No particular order.

Gary Patterson (Seemed like a no but)
Kevin Sumlin (Don't think so)
Mike Stoops (Maybe as nuclear option)
Bryan Harsin (Doubtful)
Chris Peterson (Does he want one more run? be #2 behind Patterson for me)
Rich Rodriguez
Dan Mullen (Doubt it not West Coadt guy)
Bronco Mendenhall

Two FCS Possibilities maybe as fall back options. Not advocating just saying they may be considered if things go sideways.

Jay Hill at Weber State
Troy Taylor Sacremento State

Seem like realistic plausible names?

My order of preference based off the rumored names:

1) Chris Peterson
2) Gary Patterson
3) Bob Stoops
4) Bryan Harsin
5) Bo Pelini
6) Donte Williams
7) Jay Hill
8) Kevin Sumlin
9) Mike Stoops

Reactions: jmcnamaraiii
Patterson and Peterson are the only ones that move the needle for me. Everyone else I think are upgrades over Arroyo. Hopefully unlv went all in. Will support whoever gets the job.

CP would be 1 and 1a with Patterson for me outside of something crazy like Bob Stoops or Urban Meyer. Those, obviously, aren’t realistic. Of course I didn’t think Petersen or Patterson were either (still have some doubts).

My order of preference based off the rumored names:

1) Chris Peterson
2) Gary Patterson
3) Bob Stoops
4) Bryan Harsin
5) Bo Pelini
6) Donte Williams
7) Jay Hill
8) Kevin Sumlin
9) Mike Stoops

Williams is a big time recruiter. But do you fire Arroyo to potentially just get the defensive equivalent of Arroyo?

Bob's Stoops would be #1. National title trumps everything.

I didn't include him because no way it happens.

Right?

Williams is a big time recruiter. But do you fire Arroyo to potentially just get the defensive equivalent of Arroyo?

Right?
I've seen someone suggest on Twitter that the mystery name is Bob Stoops. It's a random guess but I included him for shits and giggles.

My only question about him would be commitment. Would he be like Herm Edwards or would he be fully involved?

Right?
Williams would be a risk but at least the big time recruits and excitement every off-season would be worth it.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I've seen someone suggest on Twitter that the mystery name is Bob Stoops. It's a random guess but I included him for shits and giggles.

My only question about him would be commitment. Would he be like Herm Edwards or would he be fully involved?

I'll completely go seven degrees of Kevin Bacon here. In no way am I saying this is a remote possibility. In fact I feel stupid posting it but why not.

Stoops (Bob) takes job contingent that brother Mike gets job if/when he retires in a few years.

Williams would be a risk but at least the big time recruits and excitement every off-season would be worth it.

I've heard this somewhere before..Oh wait...It was here. For basketball.

I'm not sure what is worse the euphoria of high expectations followed by crushing results.

Or

The malaise of no expectations and getting the crushing results you expected.

Both suck in their own unique way.

Gary Patterson (Seemed like a no but)
Kevin Sumlin (Don't think so)
Mike Stoops (Maybe as nuclear option)
Bryan Harsin (Doubtful)
Chris Peterson (Does he want one more run? be #2 behind Patterson for me)
Rich Rodriguez
Dan Mullen (Doubt it not West Coadt guy)
Bronco Mendenhall
Clay Helton (Doubt it)

Two FCS Possibilities maybe as fall back options. Not advocating just saying they may be considered if things go sideways.

Jay Hill at Weber State
Troy Taylor Sacremento State

Added to this list. Not sure if it would even be a possibility. Currently coaching. Does have West Coast ties. Clay Helton former USC coach. Currently at Georgia Southern. Doing ok. Probably be a buyout so not likely nor particularly exciting.

I would be very surprised with Bob Stoops he just took the job for the Arlington Renegades XFL and imagine he could command a 8-10 mil. Salary

Peterson and Patterson would really help with pac 12 invite. I’d imagine it’s between us and SMU for the last spot.

I would be very surprised with Bob Stoops he just took the job for the Arlington Renegades XFL and imagine he could command a 8-10 mil. Salary

Peterson and Patterson would really help with pac 12 invite. I’d imagine it’s between us and SMU for the last spot.

Can we have a nice dream without somebody coming in all realistic and stuff...

Why the hell would Peterson come to UNLV? If he wants back in he could go high P5.

I don't think its feasible.

Maybe he wants to coach, but doesn't want the P5 pressures? Looking for a retirement gig. Something 4-5 years and out. P5 schools want something a little more solid?

Its all I got.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT