ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Stoops?

He is the latest speculation.

Until it’s put out by the University, we aren’t going to know for sure. They are doing too good of a job of keeping it a secret. Even my best football source isn’t getting a definitive name (just multiple people that have been interviewed, but no talk about “the contract is complete and is being signed by both parties.”).

Just hire Gruden. Don’t give him any email account. No zoom or anything similar. Keep him away from social media.

Somebody said hiring Kevin Sumlin was the fb equivalent of hiring Marvin Menzies, I totally disagree, Mike Stoops might be that though. No thanks.

Look Sumlin's got some warts. Arizona gig went really bad. Dude consistently won 7+ games a year in the SEC though and was good at Houston.

How much better can UNLV realistically do?

He'd have the best resume of any UNLV coach not named Robinson.

He’s always made the most sense since Harper was on his staff. He doesn’t excite me by any means, but I am not as down on him as others. He did a good job at Arizona which is a very difficult job. They haven’t had much success since. Even Rich Rodriguez’s best years were with a lot of his players. He and Sumlin both had stints there and his stint was MUCH better so I’d rather go with him than Sumlin.

I don’t necessarily think he was always the “guy” for Harper otherwise I think it would have been done already. He was likely, however, Harper’s “fall back guy” though. Meaning Harper said if I can do better than Stoops, he would, otherwise it’ll be him. I guess the only question, if that was the case, was how many guys did Harper have above him. Did he even talk to Herman? Was he 3rd behind Sanders and Patterson? Who knows. Will support him if he gets the job (like I always do), just doesn’t move the needle much for me. Seems more like a safe pick than anything, which does equate to “Livengood“ type of hire mentioned above.

Reactions: jmcnamaraiii
He’s always made the most sense since Harper was on his staff. He doesn’t excite me by any means, but I am not as down on him as others. He did a good job at Arizona which is a very difficult job. They haven’t had much success since. Even Rich Rodriguez’s best years were with a lot of his players. He and Sumlin both had stints there and his stint was MUCH better so I’d rather go with him than Sumlin.

I don’t necessarily think he was always the “guy” for Harper otherwise I think it would have been done already. He was likely, however, Harper’s “fall back guy” though. Meaning Harper said if I can do better than Stoops, he would, otherwise it’ll be him. I guess the only question, if that was the case, was how many guys did Harper have above him. Did he even talk to Herman? Was he 3rd behind Sanders and Patterson? Who knows. Will support him if he gets the job (like I always do), just doesn’t move the needle much for me. Seems more like a safe pick than anything, which does equate to “Livengood“ type of hire mentioned above.

Let's say Mike Stoops is the nuclear option. How are we already there less than a week into a search?

I know things can go sideways during a search for a variety of reasons but man...

I'd prefer Sumlin over Stoops, warts and all.

Let's say Mike Stoops is the nuclear option. How are we already there less than a week into a search?

I know things can go sideways during a search for a variety of reasons but man...

I'd prefer Sumlin over Stoops, warts and all.
I think most on hear would shoot higher than Stoops and most of us would probably have 8-10 people above him at least (that are realistic options). With Herman, Sanders and Patterson (probably) out, I’d still lob Dan Mullen, Scott Frost, Ed Orgeron, and others a call before him. My guess, however, is that Harper holds him in much higher regard then the rest of us. So if Harper say had him 3rd (behind say Sanders and PAtterson) than I could easily see why we are at Stoops already. Hoping Harper is at least doing more due diligence on others before settling on Stoops though.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I think most on hear would shoot higher than Stoops and most of us would probably have 8-10 people above him at least (that are realistic options). With Herman, Sanders and Patterson (probably) out, I’d still lob Dan Mullen, Scott Frost, Ed Orgeron, and others a call before him. My guess, however, is that Harper holds him in much higher regard then the rest of us. So if Harper say had him 3rd (behind say Sanders and PAtterson) than I could easily see why we are at Stoops already. Hoping Harper is at least doing more due diligence on others before settling on Stoops though.

I hope so. There are coordinators I'd rather look at first.

I’m not seeing a big difference between Sumlin and Stoops.

Patterson is the clear guys everyone wants, but if we can get him then either of these guys is a clear upgrade from arroyo.

Stoops had a better stint at Arizona than Sumlin did. Think Harper is trying to build a culture. Stoops was HC at Zona for 8 years. Been at Oklahoma and Alabama.

He would be able to build the defense up. That’s how Boise and San Diego St. have won over the years. Be able to recruit the south well.

No problems if Stoops is the guy. It’s not sexy, but neither was hiring Kevin, which I was a fan of. I’d rather win and have unlv actually build a culture vs. a flashy coach.

Honestly would be more interesting to see who he would bring in as offensive coordinator and the rest of the staff.

Reactions: bumpstock

Patterson is the clear guys everyone wants, but if we can get him then either of these guys is a clear upgrade from arroyo.

Stoops had a better stint at Arizona than Sumlin did. Think Harper is trying to build a culture. Stoops was HC at Zona for 8 years. Been at Oklahoma and Alabama.

He would be able to build the defense up. That’s how Boise and San Diego St. have won over the years. Be able to recruit the south well.

No problems if Stoops is the guy. It’s not sexy, but neither was hiring Kevin, which I was a fan of. I’d rather win and have unlv actually build a culture vs. a flashy coach.

Honestly would be more interesting to see who he would bring in as offensive coordinator and the rest of the staff.

If you only look at Arizona stint sure. But Sumlin actually had a winning record in the SEC and at Houston. Stoops hasn't been an HC in some time. Sumlin just a few years removed.

I think the gap is actually pretty wide, and I'm not crazy about Sumlin either.

Reactions: RebNReno
Sumlin never was over .500 in any of his conference seasons after the first year with Manziel. His yearly record got worse EVERY year until Arizona had see unuf and fired him. C,mon man. Absolutely pitiful to even be considering him.

Sumlin never was over .500 in any of his conference seasons after the first year with Manziel. His yearly record got worse EVERY year until Arizona had see unuf and fired him. C,mon man. Absolutely pitiful to even be considering him.
We hired a high school coach. We take pitiful to a new level.

I’m fully expecting the backup LB Coach from Cheyenne HS to be named this time. I’m only partially joking.

He won 7 a year in the SEC.

Again not a huge fan, but who the heck do people think we can get?

Part of the process is finding guys that want to come here and secondly have enough money to actually get them here.

Yeah Gary Patterson would be great.

Does he even want to be here.

Brian Harsin. Sure is he interested in thos job.

Rich Rodriguez, love it..Doesn't mean he has any interest coming to Vegas.

Tom Herman, do it. Unfortunately that shipped sailed.

If you only look at Arizona stint sure. But Sumlin actually had a winning record in the SEC and at Houston. Stoops hasn't been an HC in some time. Sumlin just a few years removed.

I think the gap is actually pretty wide, and I'm not crazy about Sumlin either.
Agreed. Was impressive what Sumlin did at both stops. Those are also top tier programs in those conferences. Zona is one of the worst football programs in the PAC. Stoops had a 5 year run of being bowl eligible 4 times and had a couple of 8 win seasons. I guess I’m just comparing apples to apples with the Zona stints. May be more upside with Sumlin, but I get why both are being pursued.

I’m not a stoops guy by any means. Just wondering what he could do with a program that has the potential now with the facilities to be one of the best in the mountain west.

Agreed. Was impressive what Sumlin did at both stops. Those are also top tier programs in those conferences. Zona is one of the worst football programs in the PAC. Stoops had a 5 year run of being bowl eligible 4 times and had a couple of 8 win seasons. I guess I’m just comparing apples to apples with the Zona stints. May be more upside with Sumlin, but I get why both are being pursued.

I’m not a stoops guy by any means. Just wondering what he could do with a program that has the potential now with the facilities to be one of the best in the mountain west.

Fair.

I don't love either.

I feel like there were/are realistic candidates I like better.

Herman
Rich Rodriguez (Another guy with rough go at U of A)
Patterson.

Herman already out.

Don't think the other two will happen.

I should start preparing myself for the inevitable disappointment.

Personally I'd make a call to Bronco Mendenhall as well.

Honestly I like that Harper is a football guy. You can tell the difference from our last ADs.

Understand him wanting someone older with experience that would have the potential to be here long term.

I get in the past going with a younger coordinator or FCS guy, because we had to go for the big swing with how poor the state of the program was.

Those days are gone. There is no excuse not to win at football now and Harper understands that.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Fair.

I don't love either.

I feel like there were/are realistic candidates I like better.

Herman
Rich Rodriguez (Another guy with rough go at U of A)
Patterson.

Herman already out.

Don't think the other two will happen.

I should start preparing myself for the inevitable disappointment.

Personally I'd make a call to Bronco Mendenhall as well.
Lol we’re unlv fans so we’re used to being disappointed.

Patterson seems like home run for sure. Just wondering if he wants the job or we have the money to do it.

Would be worried with Rodriguez and Sumlin about building a long term culture from their previous stops.

One plus with Mike is the Stoops family has built culture in multiple spots.

We’ll see. Either way will root for whoever we go with and will be an upgrade from Arroyo.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Lol we’re unlv fans so we’re used to being disappointed.

Patterson seems like home run for sure. Just wondering if he wants the job or we have the money to do it.

Would be worried with Rodriguez and Sumlin about building a long term culture from their previous stops.

One plus with Mike is the Stoops family has built culture in multiple spots.

We’ll see. Either way will root for whoever we go with and will be an upgrade from Arroyo.
Being an upgrade from Arroyo is not saying much and not even the point. UNLV has a chance to make a splash needle moving hire. This sells loads of season tickets immediately and shows the PAC-12 they are serious about winning. Sounds like we once again have to settle with a crap hire that moves nothing. Basketball and Football just the same. If Pitino was hired in basketball we would have 16,000 in the Mack each night. UNLV just doesn’t want to do it right. Too many agendas and incompetency.

Honestly I like that Harper is a football guy. You can tell the difference from our last ADs.

Understand him wanting someone older with experience that would have the potential to be here long term.

I get in the past going with a younger coordinator or FCS guy, because we had to go for the big swing with how poor the state of the program was.

Those days are gone. There is no excuse not to win at football now and Harper understands that.
Harper is the best AD since Baepler.I just loved that he canned Arroyo like it was nothing.

Being an upgrade from Arroyo is not saying much and not even the point. UNLV has a chance to make a splash needle moving hire. This sells loads of season tickets immediately and shows the PAC-12 they are serious about winning. Sounds like we once again have to settle with a crap hire that moves nothing. Basketball and Football just the same. If Pitino was hired in basketball we would have 16,000 in the Mack each night. UNLV just doesn’t want to do it right. Too many agendas and incompetency.
Agreed Arroyo was rough.

Think the only home run hire would be Patterson, but can we afford him or does he even want the job?

Reality is we’re a group of 5 football program with no culture. Need to find someone who actually wants the job, wants to build the culture from the ground up and the potential to stay long term. I think that’s a lot easier said than done.

Reactions: 220reb and NSU67
The longer it takes the more I worry! I just hope they have the funding and game plan to bring in the right coach, otherwise they could have just stayed with the coach they already had.

Harper is the best AD since Baepler.I just loved that he canned Arroyo like it was nothing.
Was a boss move by Harper. He’s being proactive. Being from Kansas st. he gets blue collar football.
Doesn’t surprise me he’s going after defensive minded coaches.

Arroyo won 7 games in three years and no bowls. Totally blew up Sanchez roster and then complained about Covid the whole time. His best players ended up being Sanchez guys (Williams, Brumfield, Windom and Aijake).

To be fair that 4-1 stretch was the best football I’ve see ln here since the Caleb herring season, but when Brumfield went down the QBs he recruited couldn’t get it done.

He had 2 good of years of recruiting per rankings. He also had a brand new practice facility and stadium. He did a terrible job developing an offensive line.

Think we got lucky Harper pulled the trigger. Unlv players are not going to be sought after in the transfer portal. Brumfield, Nohl and Kyle Williams are the only ones that need to be re-recruited. Arroyo best guys were transfers so would have to sit out a year if they leave.

Stoops was last coach of Arizona in like the late 2000s...he 's been out of the job since. Hardly an inspiring name.

There are at least a dozen FCS head coaches I'd rather take a chance on.
I can name a couple, too. The problem is that we need to show P5 conferences that we are serious and we want to move into their rankings. Hiring someone without name recognition may work out eventually (as Bobby Hauck was supposed to) but P5 conferences don’t want to take a chance on what might become in 3-4 years.

If we were in a P5 already, then it could work. Since we aren’t, it doesn’t show a commitment to our most important athletic program.

Was a boss move by Harper. He’s being proactive. Being from Kansas st. he gets blue collar football.
Doesn’t surprise me he’s going after defensive minded coaches.

Arroyo won 7 games in three years and no bowls. Totally blew up Sanchez roster and then complained about Covid the whole time. His best players ended up being Sanchez guys (Williams, Brumfield, Windom and Aijake).

To be fair that 4-1 stretch was the best football I’ve see ln here since the Caleb herring season, but when Brumfield went down the QBs he recruited couldn’t get it done.

He had 2 good of years of recruiting per rankings. He also had a brand new practice facility and stadium. He did a terrible job developing an offensive line.

Think we got lucky Harper pulled the trigger. Unlv players are not going to be sought after in the transfer portal. Brumfield, Nohl and Kyle Williams are the only ones that need to be re-recruited. Arroyo best guys were transfers so would have to sit out a year if they leave.
I wouldn’t even try to recruit Brumfield back. If he wants to leave, leave. He regressed. If he’s hurt, I understand that too. He took a beating this year.

I’d keep Plant Jr. and the kicker/punter.
This isn't real is it. If he's a candidate that's fine but he should be the nuclear option.

We can't possibly already be at defcon 1 a week into a search.

(I don't know the defcon scale I'm hoping 1 is the bad one)
yup all I know about defcon is from Kanye going off on the Jews and the movie, War Games.

Stoops was last coach of Arizona in like the late 2000s...he 's been out of the job since. Hardly an inspiring name.
Been out as an head coach. Been working at Oklahoma, Alabama, Florida Atlantic and Kentucky since. Definitely not out of the game. At places that built football cultures.

Again I’m not Stoops guy.

I’m just not understanding the thought process that we should be getting Urban Myer or Rick Pitnio lmao.

I get it we’re all UNLV fans, but most people don’t care about this program as much as we do and the program doesn’t have the money to get those guys even there was interest.

There are at least a dozen FCS head coaches I'd rather take a chance on.
I’m not against an FCS guy, but they most likely won’t be able to recruit the way Sumlin and Stoops will be able to just based on name value alone.

I’d rather see transfers from the SEC or Big 12 than for Sac St. We’ve seen this at UNLV in the past with football and basketball. Guys that transfer down a level typically excel. The guys that shined at lower levels rarely lived up to the hype.

I’m not against an FCS guy, but they most likely won’t be able to recruit the way Sumlin and Stoops will be able to just based on name value alone.

I’d rather see transfers from the SEC or Big 12 than for Sac St. We’ve seen this at UNLV in the past with football and basketball. Guys that transfer down a level typically excel. The guys that shined at lower levels rarely lived up to the hype.

Mike Stoops.

He's the other chick in Fleetwood Mac

The ugly Judd sister not named Ashley.

He's Art Garfunkel.

Damn it man I want Stevie Nicks singing The Chain not that other chick singing that B-Side no air play crap!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT