ADVERTISEMENT

Liberty’s schedule 2024

bcvegaspt

Bench warmer
Staff
Feb 26, 2005
Twelfth seat if I'm lucky

Being EXTREMELY optimistic that we may have an outside chance of being considered for a big bowl game, this is one of the schools that we would have to leap over.

This is a Menzies’ schedule if he was allowed to hand select the weakest of the weak. Their o/u is 10.5. I don’t see how you lose one, let alone two, yet that doesn’t mean that they are a good team. We and Boise, and probably countless other G5 schools, have scheduled legitimately difficult schools. If you look at “RPI” there’s no way that we don’t rank higher than them, even if we lose 4.

Even if they go undefeated... Im not sure how you can play that crappy schedule and justify giving them a high ranking vs say and 8-3 MWC team with losses on road at KU and say Boise or OSU

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Their schedule last season was equally bad and they got G5 NY6 Bowl bid where they got their asses handed to them.
Different rules this year though so hopefully the selection criteria impacts more than just getting ranked because you're undefeated... otherwise, why not move to a lesser conference and dominate a weak schedule to get selected every year

Reactions: Sharktank91

Being EXTREMELY optimistic that we may have an outside chance of being considered for a big bowl game, this is one of the schools that we would have to leap over.

This is a Menzies’ schedule if he was allowed to hand select the weakest of the weak. Their o/u is 10.5. I don’t see how you lose one, let alone two, yet that doesn’t mean that they are a good team. We and Boise, and probably countless other G5 schools, have scheduled legitimately difficult schools. If you look at “RPI” there’s no way that we don’t rank higher than them, even if we lose 4.

I think the issue will be UNLV will be better than last year but record might not reflect that.

Schedule is pretty difficult.

No Michigan.

But.

Syracuse better than either UTEP or Vandy.

Kansas better than UTEP or Vandy.

Houston better than Utep and probably Vandy.

I'm thinking 8-4 this year. Be in the mix for title game.

Liberty lost some dudes but probably still has enough to go 11-1 or 10-2.

If UNLV goes 10-2 vs this schedule they are a top 25 team most likely but would need Liberty to stumble at least once.

Hey they got a NY6 by playing a weaker schedule than multiple FCS teams, so it worked for them in the past.

I wonder if we would have beaten SJSU and Boise if we would have taken that seat. We would have had a decent argument.

It shows how much starting ranking can affect things. Liberty had some buzz coming into the season. We were ranked in the 100's.

This year we are in the 40-60 range which is huge. I think we can take a few losses and be in the conversation, but they have to be pretty good teams that we lose to.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Yes, starting ranking is a big deal. If BSU, which is fringe Top 25, has a strong showing vs Oregon - and I do think Oregon finally breaks into the win column against the Broncos - then UNLV beats BSU while suffering no bad losses, then I think the Rebs will be in the discussion come New Year's.

My reasoning is that the CFB playoff rankings are going to become very similar to the Selection committee numbers for college basketball. Since they get to generate the rankings, they can prioritize the strength of schedule over pure record, forcing G5s to schedule better in order to be selected. Its a premium position and needs to have the best team available to continue the argument that G5s really can compete if given a shot, not just the team that ran through a bad schedule as its been in the past...

Hey they got a NY6 by playing a weaker schedule than multiple FCS teams, so it worked for them in the past.

I wonder if we would have beaten SJSU and Boise if we would have taken that seat. We would have had a decent argument.

It shows how much starting ranking can affect things. Liberty had some buzz coming into the season. We were ranked in the 100's.

This year we are in the 40-60 range which is huge. I think we can take a few losses and be in the conversation, but they have to be pretty good teams that we lose to.
That will hurt them this year IMO I could see them going undefeated and being leaped by a two loss team with good losses.

That will hurt them this year IMO I could see them going undefeated and being leaped by a two loss team with good losses.
It should. However, it all boils down to $$$. Hypothetically, let's say UNLV only loses to Kansas this season. Liberty has an undefeated season where their only close game was by 2 touchdows. South Florida gets the G5 seat because it had better attendance and viewership with 2 close losses.

If UNLV's only loss is to Kansas this year, We will be a top 15 team with a conference title in the highest rated non-P4 conference.... the other two schools performance wont matter...
Jim Carrey Chance GIF

Yes... Kansas is a legit Big 12 title contender and dark horse playoff candidate... possibly best secondary I'm Big 12 with Bryant, good WR group and RBs, and JD6 is a Heisman candidate if he plays every game... they'll be top 15 when we play them in SKCs stadium in KC.

Yes... Kansas is a legit Big 12 title contender and dark horse playoff candidate... possibly best secondary I'm Big 12 with Bryant, good WR group and RBs, and JD6 is a Heisman candidate if he plays every game... they'll be top 15 when we play them in SKCs stadium in KC.
Out of all the games, and I'm watching every one of them, I'm really looking forward to this game. I don't think we stand a chance. But, I think it'll appear we did. Shîť, we looked amazing at Michigan once Maiva took over. Any other season, that would have been a 56-0 mercy rule.

Out of all the games, and I'm watching every one of them, I'm really looking forward to this game. I don't think we stand a chance. But, I think it'll appear we did. Shîť, we looked amazing at Michigan once Maiva took over. Any other season, that would have been a 56-0 mercy rule.
I would be happy with a loss similar to the bowl game as far as that goes. We actually had our chances in that one in the end.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT