ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s talk about Kansas (Week 3)

UNLV have been prepping for this game since last year. Cannot believe this KU team beat UNLV last year. But they did.
Illinois maybe a decent team but they are playing like crap.
Recall UNLV’s secondary was pretty much Swiss cheese last year and was exposed when it played SJSU, BSU and KU. I’m hoping our defense is the difference this year.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Crutches are precautionary until they get an MRI, confirmation of the issue.
Not to be a Debbie downer. But it being carted off ans coming back with crutches is. A bad sign. They will get imaging to confirm what they probably already know or strongly suspect

I didn't see the I injury, but if it is a knee, then best case is a MCL where he could return this season

Not to be a Debbie downer. But it being carted off ans coming back with crutches is. A bad sign. They will get imaging to confirm what they probably already know or strongly suspect

I didn't see the I injury, but if it is a knee, then best case is a MCL where he could return this season
Medical staff on the field are trained to be overly cautious and wait for tests to confirm the injury or not. He’s on crutches because they don’t know the extent of the injury. Could be a number of things.

That being said, I think the chances of mcduffie playing vs KU is low given it’s a short week.

Medical staff on the field are trained to be overly cautious and wait for tests to confirm the injury or not. He’s on crutches because they don’t know the extent of the injury. Could be a number of things.

That being said, I think the chances of mcduffie playing vs KU is low given it’s a short week.
I'm telling you from working with Orthopedic surgeons personally and covering football games regularly on the sports medicine staff on the sidelines.
They always get imaging to confirm what they think. Just in case, also helps them prepare for surgery knowing the extent of the injury. Also helps them justify surgery to insurance. The staff will never tell the patient straight up if they think that a major injury has happened. But they usually have a good idea and are spot on
Again I didn't see the injury and don't even know which part of the lower extremity it is. Mild sprains usually don't get carted off.
It could be a lot of things. I am just saying I wouldn't count on him returning this season given the circumstances last game.

Reactions: bcvegaspt2
I'm telling you from working with Orthopedic surgeons personally and covering football games regularly on the sports medicine staff on the sidelines.
They always get imaging to confirm what they think. Just in case, also helps them prepare for surgery knowing the extent of the injury. Also helps them justify surgery to insurance. The staff will never tell the patient straight up if they think that a major injury has happened. But they usually have a good idea and are spot on
Again I didn't see the injury and don't even know which part of the lower extremity it is. Mild sprains usually don't get carted off.
It could be a lot of things. I am just saying I wouldn't count on him returning this season given the circumstances last game.
I don’t know anything personally. But the pessimist in me, the why can we never have nice things part of me says he’s out for the season.

Good comments. I thought Kansas got a little tired in 4th quarter. Light rain and wind may have affected them too. This game will be very tough for us on defense as K's running backs are very good. Also the most improvement for most teams is game three of the season. Home crowd pumped up will help K too. For UNLV, defensive stops early would really help then offense has to be able to get more than 3yds per rush as against Houston. The play book will be open for our receivers so lets get the crowd quiet early.

Good comments. I thought Kansas got a little tired in 4th quarter. Light rain and wind may have affected them too. This game will be very tough for us on defense as K's running backs are very good. Also the most improvement for most teams is game three of the season. Home crowd pumped up will help K too. For UNLV, defensive stops early would really help then offense has to be able to get more than 3yds per rush as against Houston. The play book will be open for our receivers so lets get the crowd quiet early.
We’ve got the receivers, they have some good DBs. I’m not yet sold on Sluka’s arm. He really is a slinger. Has some strength to his throws, not so sure about touch/placement. Then again, how many throws does he have on the season? 25-30? And it’s been against not the greatest competition. Not saying he can’t do it … jus5 really haven’t seen much in his arm to give me confidence yet. If anything, a little pause so far.

We’ve got the receivers, they have some good DBs. I’m not yet sold on Sluka’s arm. He really is a slinger. Has some strength to his throws, not so sure about touch/placement. Then again, how many throws does he have on the season? 25-30? And it’s been against not the greatest competition. Not saying he can’t do it … jus5 really haven’t seen much in his arm to give me confidence yet. If anything, a little pause so far.

Good arm. But mechanics aren't the best which hurts his touch.

He doesn't have to be Drew Brees completing 70% of his passes.

But when there are big shots open downfield he needs to hit them. (Actually throws better downfield vs underneath stuff)

Said in earlier post.

I honestly think Odom/Marion have a blue print in mind.

Run the ball for 200+ yards.

Sluka be efficient and not turn ball over.

Hit 2 possibly 3 big chunk plays downfield in pass game (25+ yards through the air, not bubble screens or quick slants that are catch and run actual deep shots) To keep defense honest.

Sluka moving the sticks (improvising) with his legs when needed.

Good arm. But mechanics aren't the best which hurts his touch.

He doesn't have to be Drew Brees completing 70% of his passes.

But when there are big shots open downfield he needs to hit them. (Actually throws better downfield vs underneath stuff)

Said in earlier post.

I honestly think Odom/Marion have a blue print in mind.

Run the ball for 200+ yards.

Sluka be efficient and not turn ball over.

Hit 2 possibly 3 big chunk plays downfield in pass game (25+ yards through the air, not bubble screens or quick slants that are catch and run actual deep shots) To keep defense honest.

Sluka moving the sticks (improvising) with his legs when needed.
Odom and staff have been clear the game plan changes week to week. I don’t think you’re going to see unlv run the same stuff every week. I wasn’t impressed with KUs secondary and Marion will look to exploit that.

If I’m Marion, I’d probably want a fast tempo and tire out KU early and often. I expect to see a very motivated unlv team looking to play fast and aggressive on all sides of the ball.

Odom and staff have been clear the game plan changes week to week. I don’t think you’re going to see unlv run the same stuff every week. I wasn’t impressed with KUs secondary and Marion will look to exploit that.

If I’m Marion, I’d probably want a fast tempo and tire out KU early and often. I expect to see a very motivated unlv team looking to play fast and aggressive on all sides of the ball.

Of course they want to adapt. No doubt. But I believe the team is built to run the ball and take shots downfield.

Sluka is not the type of dude you want lining up 5 WR slinging the ball all over the field. It isn't his strength.

Because they run the ball a lot doesn't mean they won't be aggressive in the passing game. I think they want to be aggressive downfield. I just don't see a lot of games this season where we will see 25+ pass attempts.

I could be wrong. We'll see.

If KU comes out looking to load the box Marion/Odom will absolutely try and exploit that and take shots down field.

Of course they want to adapt. No doubt. But I believe the team is built to run the ball and take shots downfield.

Sluka is not the type of dude you want lining up 5 WR slinging the ball all over the field. It isn't his strength.

Because they run the ball a lot doesn't mean they won't be aggressive in the passing game. I think they want to be aggressive downfield. I just don't see a lot of games this season where we will see 25+ pass attempts.

I could be wrong. We'll see.

If KU comes out looking to load the box Marion/Odom will absolutely try and exploit that and take shots down field.
Isn’t that kind of the point of our offensive system overall? Different looks, confusion, versatility … to take advantage of what the defense shows? I agree, KU wants to stuff the box, UNLV will throw it more.

I’m more comfortable with the deeper ball than short passes. I’ve seen too much zip, not enough touch with short passes. Even the long TD to Ricky, that was Ricky. He did catch Jacob with a perfectly placed ball week one, but that was kind of broken and slung.

I’m hoping he just needs more tosses under his belt.

Isn’t that kind of the point of our offensive system overall? Different looks, confusion, versatility … to take advantage of what the defense shows? I agree, KU wants to stuff the box, UNLV will throw it more.

I’m more comfortable with the deeper ball than short passes. I’ve seen too much zip, not enough touch with short passes. Even the long TD to Ricky, that was Ricky. He did catch Jacob with a perfectly placed ball week one, but that was kind of broken and slung.

I’m hoping he just needs more tosses under his belt.
He had good arm strength last year too but wasn’t the most accurate I don’t think that will change. I hope it does but at this point he probably is what he is. That end zone TD against Houston was beautiful but I don’t think he will have a lot of those.

He had good arm strength last year too but wasn’t the most accurate I don’t think that will change. I hope it does but at this point he probably is what he is. That end zone TD against Houston was beautiful but I don’t think he will have a lot of those.
I think some of it may be timing and personnel. He tends to sail it over heads with the shorter passes, but many of those are to Jacob. So there could be some adjustments there.
Another thing is trusting the line and setting his feet. He should be able to do this more this year vs last year I would think. That always seems to help accuracy.

Reactions: reagan21
I think some of it may be timing and personnel. He tends to sail it over heads with the shorter passes, but many of those are to Jacob. So there could be some adjustments there.
Another thing is trusting the line and setting his feet. He should be able to do this more this year vs last year I would think. That always seems to help accuracy.
He had that last year too with short passes sailing and he also seemed less accurate throwing to the middle of the field than he did the sidelines in my limited time watching him. Could be the offensive line. Maybe he throws better on the run than he does in the pocket? Not sure never looked that closely last year. That Houston TD was his best pass of the year, was that out of the pocket? Can't recall.

He had that last year too with short passes sailing and he also seemed less accurate throwing to the middle of the field than he did the sidelines in my limited time watching him. Could be the offensive line. Maybe he throws better on the run than he does in the pocket? Not sure never looked that closely last year. That Houston TD was his best pass of the year, was that out of the pocket? Can't recall.
He dropped it and rolled to his right …. Flung it perfectly.

So KU defensive game plan was to limit Altmyer using his legs to hurt them. Last year he ran for 2 TDs and they wanted to stop that. They also turned the ball over 4 times, which I dont see as happening again the week. I think theyll really try and limit Daniels and hand the ball off a lot.. with using the play action and motions stuff.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT