ADVERTISEMENT

Late night newsđź‘€

That’s how this model is gonna be for the foreseeable future. For example purposes only, Player A is a high school senior committed to Texas Tech. Tech decides to bring in Player B a sophomore transfer from Oklahoma. Due to numbers player A loses his spot at Tech so is left scrambling to find a new home before early signing day because he is a mid year graduate and wants to enroll early for spring ball. Player A ends ups at Utep and plays his true freshman year and has a breakout season. This time next year player A is in the transfer portal with texass, Texas A&M and smu all in a bidding war for him. Non P5 soon to be P4 schools are gonna be poached for their best players until (if) something changes.
We are going to have to manage the portal like Coach Prime does!
I think that Odom and Co. can do this!

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Btw, any commit that you havent seen reaffirm their commitment to us yet is on the fence. Some of them will be taking visits this weekend too. That may include your favorite commit in the 2024 class.

Btw, any commit that you havent seen reaffirm their commitment to us yet is on the fence. Some of them will be taking visits this weekend too. That may include your favorite commit in the 2024 class.
Recruiting and portaling is crazy!

We are going to have to manage the portal like Coach Prime does!
I think that Odom and Co. can do this!

I think jury is still out on if his way is the right way ultimately or not.

A lot of his portal management is aided by being a Hall of Fame player, being on TV etc. Plus more NIL money than UNLV does.

Odom and company don't have that in their back pocket.

Isn't there a cap for transfer players every year?
Odom and Prime were bale to bring so many transfers being a first year coach, but I thought they capped it after that.
It is possible that schools will have to navigate that.
Either way this is getting out of hand

Isn't there a cap for transfer players every year?
Odom and Prime were bale to bring so many transfers being a first year coach, but I thought they capped it after that.
It is possible that schools will have to navigate that.
Either way this is getting out of hand
No cap. 85 scholarship guys ever how you choose.

Last edited:
I think jury is still out on if his way is the right way ultimately or not.

A lot of his portal management is aided by being a Hall of Fame player, being on TV etc. Plus more NIL money than UNLV does.

Odom and company don't have that in their back pocket.
The jury is still out in your opinion!
Odom can put his own spin on things and still be successful!

The jury is still out in your opinion!
Odom can put his own spin on things and still be successful!

Good lord.

Let's start over.

Did I say Odom couldn't be successful in the portal?

The answer is no. Never said it, didn't even suggest it.

I said the jury is still out on if how Prime is constructing a roster and utilizing the portal will be successful.

I also pointed out the absolute obvious on why Odom can't use the same methods as Prime in regards to the portal.

UNLV doesn't have the same kind of NIL money as Colorado and Odom doesn't have the recognition and familiarity that being a Hall of Famer and TV personality brings. Unless you are arguing that neither of those matter to recruits.

Not a single thing I said questioned whether Odom was going to be successful in recruiting the portal.

Only that he has to approach recruiting and the portal in a different way.

What in that is incorrect?

You now saying Odom has to put his own spin on things is the polar opposite of your previous post saying he has to do it like Coach Prime.

You should be arguing with yourself instead of me, since you contradicted your original post.

Last edited:
I am not arguing opinions with you.

You said Odom needs to do things like Prime.

I pointed out why he can't do things like Prime.

Are you arguing that having more NIL money and being a recognizable Hall of Fame player aren't potential advantages or make how Coach Sanders navigates the portal different than how Odom will have to approach it?

I'm confused because you then said
Odom needs to put his own spin on things, which isn't the same as saying he needs to do things like Prime.

Do you see how your two takes don't align?

Odom has to approach everything about how and who he goes after in the portal completely different than how Coach Sanders does. Because the situations are different.

You said Odom needs to do things like Prime.

I pointed out why he can't do things like Prime.

Are you arguing that having more NIL money and being a recognizable Hall of Fame player aren't potential advantages or make how Coach Sanders navigates the portal different than how Odom will have to approach it?

I'm confused because you then said
Odom needs to put his own spin on things, which isn't the same as saying he needs to do things like Prime.

Do you see how your two takes don't align?

Odom has to approach everything about how and who he goes after in the portal completely different than how Coach Sanders does. Because the situations are different.
I’ll take calm, cool and collected over glitter, flash and quirky quotables. That’s me personally. Substance over style.

Energizing is great, but it only lasts for so long. You have to provide something of substance otherwise you come off as a used car salesman in time.

I’ll take calm, cool and collected over glitter, flash and quirky quotables. That’s me personally. Substance over style.

Energizing is great, but it only lasts for so long. You have to provide something of substance otherwise you come off as a used car salesman in time.

Lots of different approaches. Different things to sell recruits.

Odom's case he has the facilities, stadium, bright lights of Vegas, trajectory of program.

Other places like Ohio State kinda sell themselves but,you still sell titles, exposure, how many players that have gone on to the NFL.

That's without even delving into NIL.

Portal has changed things so much I'm not sure what the best way would be to recruit and build a roster. Still need a solid HS class every year, but dudes that are in the portal after one year have advantage of being through a camp. They might still have 4 years of eligibility as well.

Lots of different approaches. Different things to sell recruits.

Odom's case he has the facilities, stadium, bright lights of Vegas, trajectory of program.

Other places like Ohio State kinda sell themselves but,you still sell titles, exposure, how many players that have gone on to the NFL.

That's without even delving into NIL.

Portal has changed things so much I'm not sure what the best way would be to recruit and build a roster. Still need a solid HS class every year, but dudes that are in the portal after one year have advantage of being through a camp. They might still have 4 years of eligibility as well.
Las Vegas provides the flash, Coach Odom provides the substance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT