ADVERTISEMENT

Late night news👀

Sanford was probably closest at 4-1 with win over ranked ASU team and Iowa State.
UNLV is in the middle of finishing strong. If they continue, there will be a ranking.

I think all of that just leads to an offseason of high anticipation. We will lose some recruits, gain some, even lose some current roster players who aren’t seniors - but we get many key returnees, and this is big - a foundation, an expectation, a culture in place … This is when UNLV can effectively market because the football program itself did all of its own lifting, diehards will be foaming at the mouth, other locals WILL take notice, fringe fans will jump in with both feet …. That’s how you move tickets.

Been around long enough to know that genuine off-season interest is a great gauge to the overall health of the program. Not university (media by extension) conjured interest … when people/fans are feeling it in their very bones …

This year has been nothing short of amazing but I really do think it’s just the first step, as long as we keep the staff in tact.

If not, we now have evidence that we can be a decent to good program … can’t just go around hiring unqualified people who might interview well or are getting the spot for some non-capability reason.

UNLV is in the middle of finishing strong. If they continue, there will be a ranking.

I think all of that just leads to an offseason of high anticipation. We will lose some recruits, gain some, even lose some current roster players who aren’t seniors - but we get many key returnees, and this is big - a foundation, an expectation, a culture in place … This is when UNLV can effectively market because the football program itself did all of its own lifting, diehards will be foaming at the mouth, other locals WILL take notice, fringe fans will jump in with both feet …. That’s how you move tickets.

Been around long enough to know that genuine off-season interest is a great gauge to the overall health of the program. Not university (media by extension) conjured interest … when people/fans are feeling it in their very bones …

This year has been nothing short of amazing but I really do think it’s just the first step, as long as we keep the staff in tact.

If not, we now have evidence that we can be a decent to good program … can’t just go around hiring unqualified people who might interview well or are getting the spot for some non-capability reason.

What's sad is..

It shouldn't have taken this long.

Yes 30 million dollars is a lot of money. And yes it fell into UNLVs lap with the Sanchez hire. It's why I had no problem with gambling on Sanchez. It was destined to fail on the field but off the field impact of facility has been felt.

It made UNLV attractive to players and coaches.

My point being, if we had more aggressive ADs who knew football was key and scraped and clawed to get that money, the years of mediocrity could have been cut in half.

No, I don't think Arroyo would have been better, but Sanford and Hauck likely would have at least been serviceable if the infrastructure was in place.

(Not suggesting they could match what Odom has done) Just saying a lot more 6-6 and 7-5 type years and a lot less 2-10.

Next week’s game becomes the next “most important game in UNLV history.” For the continuation of the program trajectory it is so important to win this game so we don’t lose the City’s interest now that we have their attention. VGK, Raiders, the next major event, all are distractions and will steal the interest of the casual fan (the ones we need to fill Allegiant) if we drop SJSU - at home - just when folks are really paying attention. Another huge milestone approaches.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Next week’s game becomes the next “most important game in UNLV history.” For the continuation of the program trajectory it is so important to win this game so we don’t lose the City’s interest now that we have their attention. VGK, Raiders, the next major event, all are distractions and will steal the interest of the casual fan (the ones we need to fill Allegiant) if we drop SJSU - at home - just when folks are really paying attention. Another huge milestone approaches.

It will be a massive grind.

4 hour tailgate, Rebel game, Uber over to Knights game immediately after.

Challenge accepted!

What's sad is..

Yes 30 million dollars is a lot of money. And yes it fell into UNLVs lap with the Sanchez hire. It's why I had no problem with gambling on Sanchez. It was destined to fail on the field but off the field impact of facility has been felt.

My point being, if we had more aggressive ADs who knew football was key and scraped and clawed to get that money, the years of mediocrity could have been cut in half.

No, I don't think Arroyo would have been better, but Sanford and Hauck likely would have at least been serviceable if the infrastructure was in place.

(Not suggesting they could match what Odom has done) Just saying a lot more 6-6 and 7-5 type years and a lot less 2-10.
Sanchez is on the New Mexico State coaching staff that just beat/destroy Auburn yesterday. Kill might be the new Boise's Coach

What's sad is..

UNLV should have spent the money when Tark was here, when they had plenty.

They ignored it. As basketball spiraled downward the next 30 years and made less and less money … became tougher. Even tougher is when you have 5 or 6 know nothing, do nothing AD’s and that dropped to an all time low with dumbassery with TMK and DRF (I know TMK had to hire Sanchez to get that dough, but she also made a decision that lost a ton of money over the next 8/9 years and caused the hoops program to flatline with the only hopes coming in the form of the loser/death grip calls of “slow growth” is what we need).

UNLV has screwed up a ton. They always do. I’ve always said Tark was so great that he camouflaged most of the issues in admin. Some still shined through because they were out to get him. But he covered a ton of structural incompetence from within. With him gone, it became more apparent. Tark didn’t intentionally camo anything, it just happened that eyes and hearts and minds were always tunneled to the biggest prize. No peripheral vision by us.

Love this mindset. It's worked well for the women's basketball team! And you see their constant promotion of this mindset on Twitter by the women. Really happy we're waking from our coma. Last year had me on life support🏥❤️‍🩹😮‍💨💯

Reactions: unlove
Incoming flip. It'll be announced soon. Be patient.
Lobby, that word "soon" seems to be very subjective. Anyway, I was watching this kid highlight...remind me a little of Ricky White. Same mindset but different speed ability. With training he may able to increase his breakaway speed.

Melvin Laster and Brennan Scott's highlights look pretty similar.

Been a REALLY LONG TIME since I last posted, but I've been keeping an eye on this program. I moved away several years ago, but I'm flying down Friday solely for this SJSU game. After the last few games, I've seen a visible shift in toughness, mindset, confidence and conditioning. Not that I haven't always supported, but when you see this kind of seismic shift in a single season, you sit up and take notice. The long time fans, admin and team deserve this.

This is going to be a tough game, and not just because it's for a spot in the championship game. Expectations are now set, and honestly I think the kids and coaching staff like it that way. And I think they want to end the regular season on a high note. A spot in the Top 25 is on the line too. There are so many great storylines that I just wanted to be present to share in this successful season, regardless of Saturday's outcome.

Other than that dropped game tying TD in Fresno, we've been as good a team as I've seen us field at UNLV. That means coaching staff down to the scrubs. Everyone just looks on the same page and that's something I'm used to seeing other places, not @ UNLV. Can't wait to see the Scarlet and Gray.

Been a REALLY LONG TIME since I last posted, but I've been keeping an eye on this program. I moved away several years ago, but I'm flying down Friday solely for this SJSU game. After the last few games, I've seen a visible shift in toughness, mindset, confidence and conditioning. Not that I haven't always supported, but when you see this kind of seismic shift in a single season, you sit up and take notice. The long time fans, admin and team deserve this.

This is going to be a tough game, and not just because it's for a spot in the championship game. Expectations are now set, and honestly I think the kids and coaching staff like it that way. And I think they want to end the regular season on a high note. A spot in the Top 25 is on the line too. There are so many great storylines that I just wanted to be present to share in this successful season, regardless of Saturday's outcome.

Other than that dropped game tying TD in Fresno, we've been as good a team as I've seen us field at UNLV. That means coaching staff down to the scrubs. Everyone just looks on the same page and that's something I'm used to seeing other places, not @ UNLV. Can't wait to see the Scarlet and Gray.
Meet you at PT’s on Silverado Ranch after the game.

Nice to hear from you E!

Welcome back, Doggie. I want to see Maddog to come back too...C'mon you Fillipino brother of mine.

Maddog visited Vegas long ago, I’m talking just post CNNSI beginning of Rebel Net. He stayed at my place for a few days. Definitely not Filipino.

Hung out with Erik, Rebeldog, many, many times in Vegas. Cool dude. Hot sister. Definitely not Filipino.

Scrub? 100%
This thread is making me laugh. Def not Filipino but damn I love some lumpia.

Weird part is, depending on how the computers see the winner of BSU vs AFA, *if* SJSU beats us, it could be a rematch of SJSU at UNLV for the championship in consecutive weeks.

Nobody saw that coming. Even Matt Neverett!

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Maddog visited Vegas long ago, I’m talking just post CNNSI beginning of Rebel Net. He stayed at my place for a few days. Definitely not Filipino.

Hung out with Erik, Rebeldog, many, many times in Vegas. Cool dude. Hot sister. Definitely not Filipino.

Scrub? 100%
I remember ERic - I remember his sister More ... Hottie - Cool people

The flip is not happening anymore. After yesterday's results (plural, not a singular result) and the coaching carousel in full effect, he decided to stick to his original commitment.

I believe a flip will be revisited after all the smoke clears.

I work in the industry and have ties to the west coast and south. Some stuff is told to me directly, others by my buddies in the industry, some stuff directly by players, recruits, parents, and some by coaches. I'm also in the room at times. Mix and match.
Sound like you love what you're doing, Lobby. Glad you're around Rebel-net.

And I hope UNLV can swoop in on some guys that were not available but now are!
That’s how this model is gonna be for the foreseeable future. For example purposes only, Player A is a high school senior committed to Texas Tech. Tech decides to bring in Player B a sophomore transfer from Oklahoma. Due to numbers player A loses his spot at Tech so is left scrambling to find a new home before early signing day because he is a mid year graduate and wants to enroll early for spring ball. Player A ends ups at Utep and plays his true freshman year and has a breakout season. This time next year player A is in the transfer portal with texass, Texas A&M and smu all in a bidding war for him. Non P5 soon to be P4 schools are gonna be poached for their best players until (if) something changes.

That’s how this model is gonna be for the foreseeable future. For example purposes only, Player A is a high school senior committed to Texas Tech. Tech decides to bring in Player B a sophomore transfer from Oklahoma. Due to numbers player A loses his spot at Tech so is left scrambling to find a new home before early signing day because he is a mid year graduate and wants to enroll early for spring ball. Player A ends ups at Utep and plays his true freshman year and has a breakout season. This time next year player A is in the transfer portal with texass, Texas A&M and smu all in a bidding war for him. Non P5 soon to be P4 schools are gonna be poached for their best players until (if) something changes.
And if players are allowed transfer as many times as they want, you’ll now have players “transfer down”, get PT and then “transfer up” again. Felt like one (small) advantage G5 schools had were getting players that were buried on the depth chart, but were talented. Now, however, players can transfer agai a year later. Creates a “one and done” atmosphere in CFB that is prevalent in CBB

And if players are allowed transfer as many times as they want, you’ll now have players “transfer down”, get PT and then “transfer up” again. Felt like one (small) advantage G5 schools had were getting players that were buried on the depth chart, but were talented. Now, however, players can transfer agai a year later. Creates a “one and done” atmosphere in CFB that is prevalent in CBB
Bingo

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT