ADVERTISEMENT

Keys to Winning "This Year"

LVKryptonite

Conference POY
Mar 3, 2010
Just my thoughts and would love to hear other inputs. These are not my religion or politics so I won't get my feeling hurt on other "theories", because that is about what they all at this point of the year.

This year we are going to have a lot of games come down to the wire. How do I impress the theory of winning ugly. San Diego St does it best. They are a gritty team that finds ways to win. To win ugly, you have to make free throws. I don't know how we impress that on the kids or what, but man. There will not be many games where we are up by 10 going down the wire. All games will be contested and if we miss free throws we lose. I am hoping grit keeps us in the games and free throws can steal a few. Our Final 5 minutes needs to be well rehearsed and thought out. Our guys need to know what it's like. I feel that we are in for some nail biters this season. Well, I am hoping for nail biters, because the alternative is "us" being blown out. I just don't see us blowing anyone out. But, if we can play defense and make every possession count. So when I see Poyser turning it over and not valuing each possession I am concerned.

Keys to the game:
1. Stingy Defense (grind it out, wear them out, no easy shots, make them earn every point)
2. Value each possession (no turn overs, no bad passes, every one gets back and participates)
3. End of Game (Free Throws, foul (when, who, how), come out of time outs and score or stop scoring.

Based on the first 3 games:

1) Scoring will not be a problem
2) Turnovers will be a huge problem
3) Finishing the games is still not decided with two easy wins and one comfortable lead that they lost.
4) There is a lot of talent, now coach Menzies will need to prove that he can put a team together that can consistently win games.

My take:
Improves every game. Punk ass bit(h slapped the other team confidence by playing tough defense.

Reactions: LVKryptonite
Just my thoughts and would love to hear other inputs. These are not my religion or politics so I won't get my feeling hurt on other "theories", because that is about what they all at this point of the year.

This year we are going to have a lot of games come down to the wire. How do I impress the theory of winning ugly. San Diego St does it best. They are a gritty team that finds ways to win. To win ugly, you have to make free throws. I don't know how we impress that on the kids or what, but man. There will not be many games where we are up by 10 going down the wire. All games will be contested and if we miss free throws we lose. I am hoping grit keeps us in the games and free throws can steal a few. Our Final 5 minutes needs to be well rehearsed and thought out. Our guys need to know what it's like. I feel that we are in for some nail biters this season. Well, I am hoping for nail biters, because the alternative is "us" being blown out. I just don't see us blowing anyone out. But, if we can play defense and make every possession count. So when I see Poyser turning it over and not valuing each possession I am concerned.

Keys to the game:
1. Stingy Defense (grind it out, wear them out, no easy shots, make them earn every point)
2. Value each possession (no turn overs, no bad passes, every one gets back and participates)
3. End of Game (Free Throws, foul (when, who, how), come out of time outs and score or stop scoring.

honestly - i won't mind watching a team with low expectations meet those expectations as long as they play hard and smart and together. not sure if its possible though, these days with the ego and entitlement mindsets, for a team to be sub .500 and continue to play hard and together.

Score more points than the other guys...and I don't care how we do it. With defense, better offense I don't care. But what I know is that this team will be more fun to root for and watch than any of Rice's teams. No prima donnas! Just a bunch of bring your lunch pail to work kinda guys. So sick of walking out of the T&M wondering why I keep buying season tickets!

I read the comments and I liked them all. Just curious about this comment:

"1) - Scoring will not be a problem"

Then I reread it and tried to see if it was sarcastic, and it appears to be legit. I know that we scored in the Bahamas, but do you really think that that won't be a problem?

I would love for that to "not" be a problem. I remember big Z last year and he should have been able to score at will and we did have problems scoring.

Now we have a different coach and a different team, but we for sure do not have the talent this year that we had last year. So I see scoring as a huge problem. I hope I am wrong and would love someone to give me some koolaid, but I just don't see us scoring.

I don't see us hanging 100 points on anyone in conference play. I would be willing to bet a milkshake on that.

u guys way too technical...........only key needed is to score more points than the other team

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT