ADVERTISEMENT

Independence Bowl?

UNLVWINS

Lottery Pick
May 14, 2005
One of the dudes on ESPN has the Reb’s playing in the Independence Bowl against Southern Miss. What a turn around this has been!!

I dont get how many are saying 6-6 wont be good enough for a bowl. Didnt they have to fill some bowl games last year with 5-7 teams because they didnt have enough 6-6 teams to fill all the games?

Reactions: Rebel10fan
I think 6-6 would get it done. The real issue would be the cost of the bowl game.

I dont get how many are saying 6-6 wont be good enough for a bowl. Didnt they have to fill some bowl games last year with 5-7 teams because they didnt have enough 6-6 teams to fill all the games?

I don't either. With 36 bowls now there are 72 teams needed to fill those spots. There are only 130 teams. The math says there shouldn't be much more than 72 teams with 6 wins.

My understanding is that a 5-7 team can fill in the open spaces, which they have done in the past, but only if all the teams with 6 or more wins have already been taken.

I don't know exactly the criteria for bowl invitations after conference tie ins are fulfilled or cannot be fulfilled. If the MWC has 6 ties and 8 bowl eligible teams, those remaining two who aren't selected I believe could be left out entirely, but I'm with you guys in that I *thought* it had to be all 6-6 teams before any 5-7 teams. If we are 5-7, we won't get an invite. No question, our APR is not going to help us in that process.

As far as tie in games, I think that is correct. A 6-6 team has to be picked over a 5-7 team. However, I don't think that applies to all Bowl games. It may be up to that game's discretion when it the teams are not tie in games. I am not sure, though.

UNLV goes 6-6 and they will go to a bowl game. Last year only 75 teams met qualifications of winning at least 6 games (one lower division game can count if they are a qualifying program - not all lower division wins are qualifying) while not having a losing record, while 80 spots were available for bowl games. Some of those teams that did qualify draw even less than UNLV which would mean even less teams in front of UNLV. They can also take teams that go 6-7 but lost one of the games in a conference championship game) After all those qualifying teams are placed in bowl games, then they can pick from provisional programs as follows:
1. Teams that finished 6-6, but had a win over an unqualified I-AA school.

2. Teams that finished 6-6, but have two wins over I-AA schools.

3. Teams that finished 6-7 in a regular, 13-game schedule.

4. Teams that are in the process of reclassifying to I-A and finish with a record that would have made them eligible otherwise.

5. Teams that finish 5-7 in APR order.

Based on all of these conditions, I find it highly unlikely that UNLV would get left out if they go 6-6.

Teams that went 6-6 last year that I believe UNLV would have a chance to be picked before if they can show fans will buy tickets (UNLV had 2-3 thousand go down for the UCLA game last year - must be a bowl game near LV area):

UTSA 23K attendance (2016)
Louisiana Lafeyette (20K)
Miami (17K)
South Alabama (16K)

Following teams could not go until all eligible teams are picked for bowl games:

Hawaii 6-7
Mississippi State 5-7
North Texas 5-7

There also must have been two other teams that qualified based on the above provisions for a total of 5 teams that would not be eligible until after UNLV was picked for a bowl game.

Based on the fact that the last several years have included teams that draw less than UNLV, and teams that would not qualify in front of UNLV, I really see very little possibility that UNLV is left out if they go 6-6

As far as tie in games, I think that is correct. A 6-6 team has to be picked over a 5-7 team. However, I don't think that applies to all Bowl games. It may be up to that game's discretion when it the teams are not tie in games. I am not sure, though.
They changed that rule. 5-7 teams cannot fill a spot if a 6-6 or 6-7 team are still waiting for an invite.

UNLV goes 6-6 and they will go to a bowl game. Last year only 75 teams met qualifications of winning at least 6 games (one lower division game can count if they are a qualifying program - not all lower division wins are qualifying) while not having a losing record, while 80 spots were available for bowl games. Some of those teams that did qualify draw even less than UNLV which would mean even less teams in front of UNLV. They can also take teams that go 6-7 but lost one of the games in a conference championship game) After all those qualifying teams are placed in bowl games, then they can pick from provisional programs as follows:
1. Teams that finished 6-6, but had a win over an unqualified I-AA school.

2. Teams that finished 6-6, but have two wins over I-AA schools.

3. Teams that finished 6-7 in a regular, 13-game schedule.

4. Teams that are in the process of reclassifying to I-A and finish with a record that would have made them eligible otherwise.

5. Teams that finish 5-7 in APR order.

Based on all of these conditions, I find it highly unlikely that UNLV would get left out if they go 6-6.

Teams that went 6-6 last year that I believe UNLV would have a chance to be picked before if they can show fans will buy tickets (UNLV had 2-3 thousand go down for the UCLA game last year - must be a bowl game near LV area):

UTSA 23K attendance (2016)
Louisiana Lafeyette (20K)
Miami (17K)
South Alabama (16K)

Following teams could not go until all eligible teams are picked for bowl games:

Hawaii 6-7
Mississippi State 5-7
North Texas 5-7

There also must have been two other teams that qualified based on the above provisions for a total of 5 teams that would not be eligible until after UNLV was picked for a bowl game.

Based on the fact that the last several years have included teams that draw less than UNLV, and teams that would not qualify in front of UNLV, I really see very little possibility that UNLV is left out if they go 6-6
Wow, that's incredibly helpful! Thanks for that post! Either way, I think we would all be a little more satisfied if Rebs won out and end up 7-5!

If Tucson comes a-callin', I'll be there. (...No intention of going to Louisiana, unfortunately)

....and here comes digit to piss in everyone's Cheerios!

Get over it. They aren't dropping football. Not for a while at least. They are going to try build this program. The money is already tied up in a practice facility, they fought hard for the inclusion in the stadium.

Bottom line is this program needs that bowl game. Even if it is more practice time for the players (which includes a ton of players that will be returning next year).

A little role reversal. I'm sitting in my rocking chair, telling you to get off my lawn!!

....and here comes digit to piss in everyone's Cheerios!

Get over it. They aren't dropping football. Not for a while at least. They are going to try build this program. The money is already tied up in a practice facility, they fought hard for the inclusion in the stadium.

Bottom line is this program needs that bowl game. Even if it is more practice time for the players (which includes a ton of players that will be returning next year).

A little role reversal. I'm sitting in my rocking chair, telling you to get off my lawn!!

Try winning the next games! Then go crazy! Ridiculous! And it's more like to shit in your Cheerios!

Try winning the next games! Then go crazy! Ridiculous! And it's more like to shit in your Cheerios!

Seriously, Why are you even here? You crap on the football team, you crap on the basketball team. Wanna talk how the Golden Knights are going to crush all UNLV athletics, etc.

Good for you. You want to stop being a fan on UNLV, you go right ahead. But whats the point of going on a UNLV fan site and telling everyone how dumb they are?

Wanna crap on true UNLV fans who are excited that they have a legit chance at going to the 3rd bowl game in the past 20 years?

Pure troll. Go ahead, be the next Rebel Robert

Seriously, Why are you even here? You crap on the football team, you crap on the basketball team. Wanna talk how the Golden Knights are going to crush all UNLV athletics, etc.

Good for you. You want to stop being a fan on UNLV, you go right ahead. But whats the point of going on a UNLV fan site and telling everyone how dumb they are?

Wanna crap on true UNLV fans who are excited that they have a legit chance at going to the 3rd bowl game in the past 20 years?

Pure troll. Go ahead, be the next Rebel Robert
Ignore is a beautiful thing. Initially I thought you were “hearing voices” on here since your responses weren’t in context of what I was reading.

Reactions: lvhiker and dcut03
ame can count if they are a qualifying program - not all lower division wins are qualifying) while not having a losing record, while 80 spots were available for bowl games. Some of those teams that did qualify draw even less than UNLV which would mean even less teams in front of UNLV. They can also take teams that go 6-7 but lost one of the games in a conference championship game) After all those qualifying team

I'm thinking that a 6-7 team shouldn't have made it to the conference championship game anyway.

There is one fewer bowl game this year (Poinsetta Bowl was dropped) so does that mean there are 78 spots (39 bowls)? I said 36 bowls / 72 spots because that's all I counted on the CBS site that projected matchups.

Get over it. They aren't dropping football. Not for a while at least.
If they get rid of football they might as well drop basketball too, attendance and performance of the BB team has been as bad as the FB team

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT