ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Bull

Pistol Pete 1

Retired Number
Sep 22, 2008
I read that all the practices are closed to the public this fall. Means we won't be doing any write ups on the kickers, bummer. Curious as to whether or not you got some sort of a press pass because of your incredible write ups last year with Rebel-Net. If so let me know if you can bring an assistant along.
I am gonna miss going to the practices and getting to see the guys develop!

In other news it's great to see all these offers being extended more than 1 week before signing day.

I read that all the practices are closed to the public this fall. Means we won't be doing any write ups on the kickers, bummer. Curious as to whether or not you got some sort of a press pass because of your incredible write ups last year with Rebel-Net. If so let me know if you can bring an assistant along.
I am gonna miss going to the practices and getting to see the guys develop!

In other news it's great to see all these offers being extended more than 1 week before signing day.
@j. spilotro Are you going to finally breakdown and let these two get Rebel-Net press creds? We know you need to protect this multi-million dollar forum from unsuspecting want-to-be's but a little coverage on our football team would be nice. And these are the two Rebel fans to do it.

Was hoping at least two practices would be open like last year.

I'm not interested in being a beat writer or anything. Just wanted to give Rebel-Net some updated content. Stir up interest in football.

Gave it a shot. Didn't see much of a spike in interest. So not all that motivated to do it again anyway.

Pretty sad we have longer threads about Desert Reign and concern over where Kreigh W. will land than anything on the football boards.

It might help if T.E. would write an article about anything. Been so long since I've seen of much of anything from him I thought he quit. But why give it up if all you use it for free entry to events.

Maybe he never recovered from this quote in his breakdown of the coaching search...

'Marvin Menzies - not going to happen'

I'm not interested in being a beat writer or anything. Just wanted to give Rebel-Net some updated content. Stir up interest in football.

Gave it a shot. Didn't see much of a spike in interest. So not all that motivated to do it again anyway.

Pretty sad we have longer threads about Desert Reign and concern over where Kreigh W. will land than anything on the football boards.
It is sad but it's always been that way. From the beginning. There are some deep, die-hard, very passionate UNLV football fans. But, as I'm sure you know, it's a very low number. I bet 9/10ths of fans that attended football games last year cannot name which two quarterbacks started over the course of the season last year. TBH, most couldn't name one.

Way back when, when there was some palpable excitement around UNLV football with Robinson and a bowl game, we were at a couple practices per week, press box, locker rooms. It was a lot of time and effort and it played to crickets. Even if we staffed with 10, we cannot generate excitement. That's up to the program and performance. Football doesn't have the history that breeds pride (can be a curse, depending how you look at it).

The Serb puts out a short clip of practicing fadeaways and that trumps football posts.

You had a couple of threads that made it to 30-40 posts in replies for your spring break downs. Views were typically in the high 3's or low 4 figures. That isn't bad. You were attracting a lot of attention from true fans.

You would gain a lot of traction if the team ever plays to their potential.

It is sad but it's always been that way. From the beginning. There are some deep, die-hard, very passionate UNLV football fans. But, as I'm sure you know, it's a very low number. I bet 9/10ths of fans that attended football games last year cannot name which two quarterbacks started over the course of the season last year. TBH, most couldn't name one.

Way back when, when there was some palpable excitement around UNLV football with Robinson and a bowl game, we were at a couple practices per week, press box, locker rooms. It was a lot of time and effort and it played to crickets. Even if we staffed with 10, we cannot generate excitement. That's up to the program and performance. Football doesn't have the history that breeds pride (can be a curse, depending how you look at it).

It's cool we are a basketball school. I have no problem with that.

However.

I find it very easy to support two mediocre programs. When I want to relive the glory years of basketball, I dust off my VHS, pop in a tape and hit play.

I just don't want to hear the inevitable wailing and gnashing of teeth in a few years when conference realignment happens and new TV deals are handed out.

If UNLV gets left out of a P5, serious questions will have to be asked about the viability of keeping football. The trickle down impact would be very bad for basketball. As in potential conference change bad.

Personally, I can't wait for our rivalry with Cal State San Loser Abysmal to start..

Last edited:
You had a couple of threads that made it to 30-40 posts in replies for your spring break downs. Views were typically in the high 3's or low 4 figures. That isn't bad. You were attracting a lot of attention from true fans.

You would gain a lot of traction if the team ever plays to their potential.

30-40 replies?

I could double that on the confidential board with threads titled...

'Can we survive the loss of Kreigh'

Or

'Desert Reign: What did we learn?

Or

'Dantley Walker, what could have been'

It's cool we are a basketball school. I have no problem with that.

However.

I find it very easy to support two mediocre programs. When I want to relive the glory years of basketball, I dust off my VHS, pop in a tape and hit play.

I just don't want to hear the inevitable wailing and gnashing of teeth in a few years when conference realignment happens and new TV deals are handed out.

If UNLV gets left out of a P5, serious questions will have to be asked about the viability of keeping football. The trickle down impact would be very bad for basketball. As in potential conference change bad.

Personally, I can't wait for our rivalry with Cal State San Loser Abysmal to start..
I agree with you, it's P-5 or bust. Without P-5, UNLV athletics changes drastically, for the worse.

But I don't think you are going to get 10k extra people out at games with the common thread of "we are showing up so we can help our team into a P-5". It takes wins. UNLV has to do their part.

And this is where I think Raider football/pro sports in general, can actually kill UNLV. Yeah, I agree that a good to great venue is critical to P-5 inclusion. But now you are fighting fans for their sports dollar... it's not like UNLV football has cultivated a large, loyal fanbase. The Raiders can pull interest from casual fans or potential fans. Nobody has perpetual income. Many people are going to have to choose.

It's a shame. UNLV/fans had a lot of time to get aligned and until recently, there have been no strides. They really had no choice but to grasp the coattails of the Raiders. It's a gamble, but you don't have a lot going on otherwise (losing, small fanbase, SBS).

In the end, if we don't get a bid, it's not the fans' fault. You can't have 4 or 5 above .500 seasons in three decades and expect a loyal following, especially when you've been a local 2nd or 3rd fiddle by a large, large margin during that time.

Winning solves this problem. Sanchez is trying to change the culture. Not an overnight job. Success this year will help tremendously. Recruiting is definitely picking up, almost nothing but 3* offers now, in only 3 years, with a losing team. Practice Facility and the Stadium gets us over the hump IMHO.

30-40 replies?

I could double that on the confidential board with threads titled...

'Can we survive the loss of Kreigh'

Or

'Desert Reign: What did we learn?

Or

'Dantley Walker, what could have been'

Two different types of balls man. The football thread norm is usually never more than 4-7 posts.

And that's the confidential board. Its a cheap reply generator. Say anything TKM, and there is a witch hunt that is automatically formed. The free football board is waaay more active than free basketball board.

And yes Joe, full agree, p-5 or bust.

Last edited:
I agree with you, it's P-5 or bust. Without P-5, UNLV athletics changes drastically, for the worse.

But I don't think you are going to get 10k extra people out at games with the common thread of "we are showing up so we can help our team into a P-5". It takes wins. UNLV has to do their part.

And this is where I think Raider football/pro sports in general, can actually kill UNLV. Yeah, I agree that a good to great venue is critical to P-5 inclusion. But now you are fighting fans for their sports dollar... it's not like UNLV football has cultivated a large, loyal fanbase. The Raiders can pull interest from casual fans or potential fans. Nobody has perpetual income. Many people are going to have to choose.

It's a shame. UNLV/fans had a lot of time to get aligned and until recently, there have been no strides. They really had no choice but to grasp the coattails of the Raiders. It's a gamble, but you don't have a lot going on otherwise (losing, small fanbase, SBS).

In the end, if we don't get a bid, it's not the fans' fault. You can't have 4 or 5 above .500 seasons in three decades and expect a loyal following, especially when you've been a local 2nd or 3rd fiddle by a large, large margin during that time.

You are correct.

People by and large do not care about UNLV football.

I just find the 'Football hasn't given us anything to get excited about' argument flawed. Aside from a sweet 16 performance basketball hasn't exactly set the world on fire over the last quarter century.

Yet there you are ('you' being people in general not you, you) shelling out an $800 dollar RAF donation plus $1000 dollars for tickets year after year for mediocre basketball. All the while wondering why the athletic program seemingly gets worse.

Typical discussion with UNLV fans.

Me- Want to go to the football game?

Fan-Football? Nah...They suck. Plus that drive! My god its like, what, 15 minutes from campus. Forget that.

Me- But season tickets are only $100 dollars. If we could get football going it would help athletics across the board.

Fan-They suck though. I would much rather spend $1500 dollars to watch bad basketball. Plus our history!

You are correct.

People by and large do not care about UNLV football.

I just find the 'Football hasn't given us anything to get excited about' argument flawed. Aside from a sweet 16 performance basketball hasn't exactly set the world on fire over the last quarter century.

Yet there you are ('you' being people in general not you, you) shelling out an $800 dollar RAF donation plus $1000 dollars for tickets year after year for mediocre basketball. All the while wondering why the athletic program seemingly gets worse.

Typical discussion with UNLV fans.

Me- Want to go to the football game?

Fan-Football? Nah...They suck. Plus that drive! My god its like, what, 15 minutes from campus. Forget that.

Me- But season tickets are only $100 dollars. If we could get football going it would help athletics across the board.

Fan-They suck though. I would much rather spend $1500 dollars to watch bad basketball. Plus our history!

Ehh, good point. Wish this wasn't true.

I have loved the write ups about football. I don't say much but I'm on this board probably a few times a day just looking for any information. I live out of state but when the rebels did come to ucla I went to that game. I hope you guys don't lose faith and feel your time was wasted.

Loyal fan here in Indiana too... I can feel the momentum and really hope they realize some potential this year... finally! Don't give up the fight, there are some still with you and the bandwagons will ride soon enough hopefully.

I agree it's P5 or bust. Would the program drop to FCS or would it completely fold?

Most likely fold. People barely attend games vs D1 opposition. They certainly won't drive out for games Vs Weber State.

That in turn would mean no conference affiliation.

Which would mean moving somewhere like the WAC. Watching basketball on courts that still have volleyball lines on them stinks...

Back to the Big West.

Most likely fold. People barely attend games vs D1 opposition. They certainly won't drive out for games Vs Weber State.

That in turn would mean no conference affiliation.

Which would mean moving somewhere like the WAC. Watching basketball on courts that still have volleyball lines on them stinks...

Honestly I'm sick of hearing these super lame excuses. If Las Vegas community wants a great college football program, they are the ones that should do something about it. P5 programs are built and sustained from boosters and fans attendance. We keep blaming the admin for putting out a shitting product but as a public university there is only so much could can do with massively taxing student population through student fees.

Same goes for this website. You want to build traffic and gain members, you need to do more content. Without Bull, Buck, Pistol and others the football forum would have 90 percent less posts and engagement.

We know CTS is moving things in right direction, too bad Rebel Net doesn't take same motivation to support and assist program along with driving traffic and potential membership.

Honestly I'm sick of hearing these super lame excuses. If Las Vegas community wants a great college football program, they are the ones that should do something about it. P5 programs are built and sustained from boosters and fans attendance. We keep blaming the admin for putting out a shitting product but as a public university there is only so much could can do with massively taxing student population through student fees.

Same goes for this website. You want to build traffic and gain members, you need to do more content. Without Bull, Buck, Pistol and others the football forum would have 90 percent less posts and engagement.

We know CTS is moving things in right direction, too bad Rebel Net doesn't take same motivation to support and assist program along with driving traffic and potential membership.

Not going anywhere.

Just can't give any real updates with no access to practices..

Boosters and fans. Which usually translates to alumni. Where UNLV is tiny. You call them excuses. It's reality. You expect a city of many transients to band together for the greater good of the community? Good luck with that pipe dream, let me know how it goes.

I'm not worried about traffic and members. Never have been. I didn't start the site for traffic and numbers. It's just a place for fans. If they want to be here, cool, welcome ... if not, that's cool too, have a great day. I don't know what you want me to tell you. My motivation has never been numbers, money, any garbage like this. Just want to get together with fans, that's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

I could be wrong, but I think we get a P5 invite. A few things pointing towards it.
Odds are better now than they were a few years ago. And if that's true, it shows that winning is low on the totem pole when it comes to priority. We fluked into the Raider/stadium thing, riding coattails. But you take them.

I'm not sure whether the invite is extended next go round... if not, I think it spells some doom.

Boosters and fans. Which usually translates to alumni. Where UNLV is tiny. You call them excuses. It's reality. You expect a city of many transients to band together for the greater good of the community? Good luck with that pipe dream, let me know how it goes.

I'm not worried about traffic and members. Never have been. I didn't start the site for traffic and numbers. It's just a place for fans. If they want to be here, cool, welcome ... if not, that's cool too, have a great day. I don't know what you want me to tell you. My motivation has never been numbers, money, any garbage like this. Just want to get together with fans, that's it. Nothing more, nothing less.
This is the very attitude why UNLV football is where it is today. Unless something changes here, P5 is a pipedream too.

I get that Rebel Net is nothing more than a 'club' and not content site. I just need to get over that's all its ever going to be.

This is the very attitude why UNLV football is where it is today. Unless something changes here, P5 is a pipedream too.

I get that Rebel Net is nothing more than a 'club' and not content site. I just need to get over that's all its ever going to be.
I know. I'll take the blame. UNLV sucks because of my attitude. Had I been rah rah the past 30 years, we'd be atop the PAC-10. People can throw eggs at me next game. I deserve it.

I know. I'll take the blame. UNLV sucks because of my attitude. Had I been rah rah the past 30 years, we'd be atop the PAC-10. People can throw eggs at me next game. I deserve it.
Why are you taking this personally?

If the community doesn't support football program financially or otherwise, it's is going to be very difficult to build a successful program and sustain it. This isn't my opinion it base on actual data.

Why are you taking this personally?

If the community doesn't support football program financially or otherwise, it's is going to be very difficult to build a successful program and sustain it. This isn't my opinion it base on actual data.
My point is the community isn't going to blindly support a program that has lost at an astronomical rate for 30 plus years. Is there a more losing program over the past 3 decades? I'm being serious. You want a ton of people to do it based on faith or humanitarianism - that's just not feasible. Grass roots efforts or any efforts, they cannot dig them out of the hole. The program is at a Missouri state. Show me.... I'm not talking about to you, me, Bull and a couple thousand other fans... I'm talking about to the community.

If UNLV was churning out prideful alum, alum that were influential and plentiful.... that's how you get big money. But UNLV doesn't have a ton of grads, most are transient with allegiances elsewhere and while they were here, it's not like Cupid shot them in the heart with the UNLV football arrow.

But I'm not taking this personally. Not at all. The same fans that have been going and supporting will continue to do so. Until we do something and have some sustenance, it'll be the same people out there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT