ADVERTISEMENT

School Ticket Giveaway Question

SwiftlyT

NBA Draft Pick
Mar 28, 2003
Maybe it’s happened through the years and I just didn’t notice, but does the athletic department give blocks of tickets away to local public schools for the lower tier opponents on the schedule? Or maybe certain school organizations like deca or rotc?

I know generally winning cures all, but with the level of general apathy in the last two plus decades, my concern is we’ve skipped two generations of unlv fan adoption. So many were born out of the golden era and unfortunately I think a lot of the hardcore fans from that era that were not teens or young adults, some of those folks pass and we just never recovered them with young fans.

I’m curious if the school maybe doesn’t give a bunch away because they can’t then write them off as a non sale loss or some accounting issue, or they just don’t have the bandwidth to run a ccsd program like that. You would think many freebie tickets would get subsidized by concessions.

Do something for recognition, or an entire class, slap them up on the Jumbotron a number of times, announce them over the PA, let them take all their selfies, and hopefully have an entertaining bball game to make a few trigger their future fandom.

We have tons of pockets to draw from.. CCSD, Nellis AFB, pride organizations, youth sports orgs, Latin chamber, etc, etc.

What do we have to lose, other than the team getting unexpectedly good and having to claw back on giveaways?

We need youth indoctrination!

Maybe it’s happened through the years and I just didn’t notice, but does the athletic department give blocks of tickets away to local public schools for the lower tier opponents on the schedule? Or maybe certain school organizations like deca or rotc?

I know generally winning cures all, but with the level of general apathy in the last two plus decades, my concern is we’ve skipped two generations of unlv fan adoption. So many were born out of the golden era and unfortunately I think a lot of the hardcore fans from that era that were not teens or young adults, some of those folks pass and we just never recovered them with young fans.

I’m curious if the school maybe doesn’t give a bunch away because they can’t then write them off as a non sale loss or some accounting issue, or they just don’t have the bandwidth to run a ccsd program like that. You would think many freebie tickets would get subsidized by concessions.

Do something for recognition, or an entire class, slap them up on the Jumbotron a number of times, announce them over the PA, let them take all their selfies, and hopefully have an entertaining bball game to make a few trigger their future fandom.

We have tons of pockets to draw from.. CCSD, Nellis AFB, pride organizations, youth sports orgs, Latin chamber, etc, etc.

What do we have to lose, other than the team getting unexpectedly good and having to claw back on giveaways?

We need youth indoctrination!
I’d absolutely incentivize the younger kids with the prospect of free season tickets. We have plenty of seats available.

First off, reaching the younger crowd is critical, they’re the ones who decide what to do with their money when they’re older. RECOGNIZE youth who are ON THE RIGHT PATH! It seriously tickles me when I hear stories like those of @lynaskin ’s son. When @1Tripoda talks about his sons doing well …. Kids that do well will always, always make me feel proud whether they are mine or not.

Secondly, it’s community goodwill. I’m sure some can be written off.

I don’t know what the benchmark would be. 250 four ticket packages for the season, for the season. The 250 are awarded on some scholarly or community achievement. 500 awards of two tickets. Whatever.

And while you are at it, work harder to get UNLV students to show regular. Free and great seats is a fantastic incentive when you are winning and tickets are hard to get. They’re not winning, tickets are easy to get for free as it is. Figure it out. It’s not difficult. Just takes an idea, effort and follow through.

To me, it’s a no brainer. Printing tickets that aren’t used at all is a loss in paper and ink.

Lady Rebels seem to be doing a good job with community outreach and getting the young people to the games free of charge. I honestly haven't heard if KK is trying to do the same thing. I get the sense he doesn't do much local recruitment of any type i.e. players or community. I could be wrong but, it's something not often mentioned.

Reactions: j. spilotro
Lady Rebels seem to be doing a good job with community outreach and getting the young people to the games free of charge. I honestly haven't heard if KK is trying to do the same thing. I get the sense he doesn't do much local recruitment of any type i.e. players or community. I could be wrong but, it's something not often mentioned.
Community involvement is low.

Which is odd because with his father it was high.

I put it out there that at this point, there should be a bundle where you get all 3 programs for 1 price. Make it easy, basically give the other tickets away in order to get your premier program from a TV $$$ perspective to be filled...

I like the ad hoc ideas of individual tickets of military, school faculty, students, etc. That should be easy.

I’m more thinking of how you can do blocks of tickets. Families that adopted a child? Free tickets to all family members for a game to build memories, as long as they commit to coming. Same with foster families. Same with recent newly naturalized citizens and their immediate family. Same for real estate agents to give to their clients as a part of their home warming gifts to new residents. Same with special needs families and have the comfortability of a being in an entire section that “concern free”, similar to what AMC does for early morning showings for sensory sensitive people, same for families of any student who hits the honor roll. Reward them with family tickets and a kiddo get the pride of “treating their family”.

Maybe an ROTC and each school recognizes a specific student. A halftime dance competition where each high school, middle school, and elementary school has their best representative compete for a donated Mac book or VR goggles or something.

Maybe a CCSD football night where teams nominate their bench press champion and at halftime the various schools compete. Same with girls and boys high school basketball and have a three point contest at half time.

I suppose this is when the athletic department says “hey those are great! Come help us do them”

Reactions: j. spilotro
No. That would make to much sense. It almost seems like they would rather have empty seats, empty concession, empty bars, empty parking lots.
I don't think it's an easy decision. We're talking about giving away seats and at the same time asking people to pay for seats. The last thing you want to do is tick off long time season ticket holders.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I don't think it's an easy decision. We're talking about giving away seats and at the same time asking people to pay for seats. The last thing you want to do is tick off long time season ticket holders.
That’s why it probably should be incentivized, you “pay” for it in other ways. Working hard in school, community service, etc. But it makes no sense to have 14000 empty seats (I realize some are purchased for no shows). I realize that overhead is reduced by not having to open snack bars and shutting down half the concourse, parking attendants, etc.

Wait.... yall are talking about giving seats away....like people are going to actually SHOW UP.

People aren't going to show up. The people that don't want to pay $5 for a seat aren't coming if you handed them 6 free tickets. its NOT happening. I've tried to give tickets away. People have better things to do, include doing nothing.

So its not that they aren't giving the seats away thats the issue, the issue is people just dont want to come to the games under nearly any circumstance.

25 dollars to sit upstairs on certain game days..
Exactly... Thats the problem. At this level of play/performance there shouldnt be a single ticket in the top 2/3rds of Mack that go for more than 10$.
And yes, people stop showing up when things suck, so stop sucking.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Exactly... Thats the problem. At this level of play/performance there shouldnt be a single ticket in the top 2/3rds of Mack that go for more than 10$.
And yes, people stop showing up when things suck, so stop sucking.
The ball has been in UNLV’s court for a long time. They sapped all the juice out of the loyalty fruit from many fans. Reciprocation is required to some degree. This isn’t “fair weather” fans disappearing during a bad year or two - this is the slow leak of fans over decade plus and then a mass departure, and during that time, UNLV tread water for most of it, popping up slightly only briefly and sinking for awhile.

The demand has been extremely low, price accordingly.

The ball has been in UNLV’s court for a long time. They sapped all the juice out of the loyalty fruit from many fans. Reciprocation is required to some degree. This isn’t “fair weather” fans disappearing during a bad year or two - this is the slow leak of fans over decade plus and then a mass departure, and during that time, UNLV tread water for most of it, popping up slightly only briefly and sinking for awhile.

The demand has been extremely low, price accordingly.
Plus, the combination of Menzies into covid really killed attendance. They need to do some creative things to get people back into the building.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT