ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Bull

Not to get to far off track.

Under Sanford the offense was ok, but the defenses were pretty bad.

Biggest mistake made by Sanford was not hiring Rocky Long to run his defenses after Long was let go by New Mexico.

If nothing else Long can coach defense. I think Sanford was insecure about having a potential replacement on his staff.

Oh, and Rocky Hinds not panning out..
Yeah, you gotta be awfully secure to have a former head coach not far removed from being a head coach under you. I think that goes for most people. I'm sure it played into things.

Yeah, you gotta be awfully secure to have a former head coach not far removed from being a head coach under you. I think that goes for most people. I'm sure it played into things.

Without a doubt.

Says a lot about Sanchez hiring Cotton, Baer and Garrison. Not sure how much Cotton and Baer want to be HCs at this point, but Garrison seems like only a matter of time before he gets a shot somewhere.

Wow! 82 posts on the FB. Gotta be a record thread for the FB. I hope to be seeing this kind of interest going forward. Winning will do one rhing for sure, spark interest and that is what sells tickets. I have not seen anything but 3* and up offers for 2018. That is culture change my friends.

True, still pretty short sighted considering Sanford was on pretty thin ice. It could have saved his job.

Probably for the best.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
True, still pretty short sighted considering Sanford was on pretty thin ice. It could have saved his job.

Probably for the best.
It could have.

But then again, if things get warm, you are basically in an on campus pre-firing conversation with next in line.

If you have a qualified candidate inches from you, it makes it much easier to cut ties. And there's always going to be the thinking of - does this guy on my staff really want to win with me as head coach... or does he want me to fail so he can get it? It sucks because you can bet your ass there are vulture assistants in sports.

The psychology part of it has to be pretty jacked up.

Not to single you out, but this is the type of attitude that bugs me.

I get what you are saying. My point is that it should be different now. These next few years may be the most important years in the future of our entire athletic program. Now is the time to have blind support, even we do end up sucking.

Tickets ARE cheap. Technolongy is great these days. You now have a portable HD TV and you can still watch other games at the stadium.

Vegas offers a lot of options ,true. But these options are available every day. So 4-5 hours on a few Saturdays a year is not a lot of time. You have a sports bar in your pocket. If you care about UNLV athletics at all, then now is the time to support.

To to reiterate this year's team will be fun to follow. A lot of talent on the field. It may not come together great this year, but there will be flashes and this should be a pretty good team in the years to come.
Great point.

Along with this thought, I can't help but to go back to the point that Las Vegas as a community controls the destiny of UNLV football. Through donation, attendance and support.

Imagine if we could get 10K out of Las Vegas 2M population to donate $250 to the program on annual basis. That's $2.5M that could provide a lift to the program.

Not everyone can give $250, so attend the games. Yes, even with things headed in right direction, UNLV is bound to lose some. But if every game was a sell out, it would INCREASE football budget 3 times. That would be huge along with the attraction of playing in a full stadium. Two seasons of commitment by the community and the boost would be big. Hell just one season.

Reactions: RebelinWA
It could have.

But then again, if things get warm, you are basically in an on campus pre-firing conversation with next in line.

If you have a qualified candidate inches from you, it makes it much easier to cut ties. And there's always going to be the thinking of - does this guy on my staff really want to win with me as head coach... or does he want me to fail so he can get it? It sucks because you can bet your ass there are vulture assistants in sports.

The psychology part of it has to be pretty jacked up.

Possible, but if he hired Long and had significantly more success, enough to save his job. I would say it would be unlikely that they would have fired Sanford and hired the assistant. That rarely happens, if at all. When a head coach is fired, in any sport, due to lack of wins, an assistant is never hired. Goes back to the Rice's assistant hired argument. They could be extremely qualified, but its never done.

History has shown that coach Long is a significantly better coach, and I think that the football program would be in tons better shape now if they hired Long, then fired Sanford. But its a hard move to make.

Possible, but if he hired Long and had significantly more success, enough to save his job. I would say it would be unlikely that they would have fired Sanford and hired the assistant. That rarely happens, if at all. When a head coach is fired, in any sport, due to lack of wins, an assistant is never hired. Goes back to the Rice's assistant hired argument. They could be extremely qualified, but its never done.

History has shown that coach Long is a significantly better coach, and I think that the football program would be in tons better shape now if they hired Long, then fired Sanford. But its a hard move to make.
It has happened...to Long...at SDSU. He was d-coordinator for 2-3 seasons before being hired as the HC. It coulda and woulda happened here. Oh well. I like CTS and love what he's doing off the field and like what he's doing on it. Is it gameday yet?

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
It has happened...to Long...at SDSU. He was d-coordinator for 2-3 seasons before being hired as the HC. It coulda and woulda happened here. Oh well. I like CTS and love what he's doing off the field and like what he's doing on it. Is it gameday yet?
It was just a matter of time before he was HC again someday. There wasn't an if behind it. The staff he was on would probably be the most likely, too. Or at least regionally. He's not a national hire. So I could see some reluctance on Sanford's part... I think it's human nature to avoid looking over your shoulder. It takes a ton of confidence and security to look past the situation ...

Brady Hoke wasn't fired. He was hired away and they promoted from within. Much different scenario. You never see a coach fired due to performance so they can hire another of said coach's staff.

I get the argument that Sanford didn't want a better head coach on his staff due to pride/selfish reasons. He seems like the type. But hiring Long would have only helped his job situation, not hurt it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT