ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread

Blake Decker completed 57% of his passes for the team but no other quarterback has a 50% completion percentage in the last two seasons.
With that said, it is ridiculous to question anything about Boyd.
This team simply needs better quarterback play and to figure out how to develop a more effective passing game. Ball placement and decision making on pass plays has been atrocious with the three current passer. It rarely allows for efficiency that can allow your receivers to be effective.
Overall, its water under the bridge now.
Hopefully the team wins a few more games and keeps on developing the players on hand.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Blake Decker completed 57% of his passes for the team but no other quarterback has a 50% completion percentage in the last two seasons.
With that said, it is ridiculous to question anything about Boyd.
This team simply needs better quarterback play and to figure out how to develop a more effective passing game. Ball placement and decision making on pass plays has been atrocious with the three current passer. It rarely allows for efficiency that can allow your receivers to be effective.
Overall, its water under the bridge now.
Hopefully the team wins a few more games and keeps on developing the players on hand.

Armani Rogers or bust.

Reactions: RunninRebl90
Armani Rogers or bust.

Rogers is a developmental player.
If they decide to play him its fine but I think they are doing the right thing red-shirting him. He didn't have a throw me in the fire type of high school showing and need to have time to develop.
Johnny Stanton needs to develop as an efficient passer and learn to see the field. He was a consensus 4-Star player out of high school with the best arm talent on the team but needs to learn to be a passer first rather than depending on being a physical runner. He can be an outstanding player if he learns how to play the position.
Sneed isn't physically gifted and needs to learn how to maximize his talent within the offense and the coaches need to focus on the same. Hes not a drive the ball downfield caliber player.
Same with Palandech though I don't know if they can improve his accuracy issues.

I'm hoping they pull Jussila over to receiver to add another body to the depth chart.
I also have a hard time understanding the need to redshirt Andre Collins and Casey Acosta. If this team can't spread the field versus programs that can mount an effective run defense, it will be a long season no matter who is playing quarterback.

Rogers is a developmental player.
If they decide to play him its fine but I think they are doing the right thing red-shirting him. He didn't have a throw me in the fire type of high school showing and need to have time to develop.
Johnny Stanton needs to develop as an efficient passer and learn to see the field. He was a consensus 4-Star player out of high school with the best arm talent on the team but needs to learn to be a passer first rather than depending on being a physical runner. He can be an outstanding player if he learns how to play the position.
Sneed isn't physically gifted and needs to learn how to maximize his talent within the offense and the coaches need to focus on the same. Hes not a drive the ball downfield caliber player.
Same with Palandech though I don't know if they can improve his accuracy issues.

I'm hoping they pull Jussila over to receiver to add another body to the depth chart.
I also have a hard time understanding the need to redshirt Andre Collins and Casey Acosta. If this team can't spread the field versus programs that can mount an effective run defense, it will be a long season no matter who is playing quarterback.
I was referring more to the future than anything. Hopefully, he's taking notes. I watched clips from his high school days, and he has the physical tools that you look for. I don't see why he can't win the starting job as soon as next year.

Doesn't help we have A redshirt FR QB playing with 1 JR WR and 2 true Freshmen WRs and a walk on.

That may be true but I'm sure these guys have been pitching and catching since Pop Warner. Instituting at least a short passing game shouldn't be blamed on having young players. I'm pretty sure throwing the ball 5-8 yds is doable.

If Rogers is developmental, what are Stanton and Sneed? They're barely an upgrade over Palandech and he's one of the worst QB's I've ever seen. U can't run an offense when none of your quarterbacks are capable of delivering a decent football.

If Rogers is developmental, what are Stanton and Sneed? They're barely an upgrade over Palandech and he's one of the worst QB's I've ever seen. U can't run an offense when none of your quarterbacks are capable of delivering a decent football.

Stanton and Sneed are playing in their first major college action. They have a single experienced wide receiver to throw to and a senior tight end behind a line that features mostly first year college football players.
To play a true freshman quarterback that would have little help and nearly no chance of changing the outcome of the game would be poor forethought by the staff. I couldn't see Rogers as an upgrade right now over any of the current options.
Year 3-4 of the Sanchez Era are more important though the defense takes a major hit next season with just 4 starters that aren't seniors.
There is still a shot at bowl eligibility this season

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
The defense did their part and held up as long as they possibly could. Unfortunately our vaunted Offensive Line, AKA the Orcas turned into the minnows tonight. We couldn't run tonight and we couldn't protect the QB.

I will reply to myself after some thought. Play calling was atrocious. I am with Bull all the way. How limited are we? Don't we have a screen, bubble pass or slant we can throw. Eight guys in the box on every play coming at you as hard as they can go and we can't figure it out. Need to at least to turn to page 2 of the play book and see what's there and if we don't have anything it's time to get a new one, Play book and OC!

That may be true but I'm sure these guys have been pitching and catching since Pop Warner. Instituting at least a short passing game shouldn't be blamed on having young players. I'm pretty sure throwing the ball 5-8 yds is doable.

I get what you are saying, but I think you are over simplifying it a little.

Its not like the QB is in the huddle saying run to the street sign and cut in or run ten feet and do a button hook. There are route trees and audibles and route combinations that come into play.

Stevenson and Trosclair were getting mostly 3rd team reps. Trosclair was a red shirt candidate for sure without the injuries. I think it comes down to understanding the offense especially when audibles are called.
I don't think you are wrong, it seems like it should be easier.

I thought Cotton did a nice job last week keeping Sneed comfortable. We were also able to run the ball pretty well taking pressure off him. This week I think he played it to close to the vest. That said, we weren't able to run the ball well and that put Sneed in a lot of 2nd/3rd and long situations.

My guess is, the game was relatively close, and maybe Cotton was hoping Thomas or Williams would break off a couple of longer runs.

Stanton and Sneed are playing in their first major college action. They have a single experienced wide receiver to throw to and a senior tight end behind a line that features mostly first year college football players.
To play a true freshman quarterback that would have little help and nearly no chance of changing the outcome of the game would be poor forethought by the staff. I couldn't see Rogers as an upgrade right now over any of the current options.
Year 3-4 of the Sanchez Era are more important though the defense takes a major hit next season with just 4 starters that aren't seniors.
There is still a shot at bowl eligibility this season

This....

Will is 100% right on this about Rogers.

Rebel Knight: There is simply no talent whatsoever on this team. Absolutely no speed at all. Is it that hard to recruit skill players given UNLV's very low academic threshold?

Not sure where you went to school or why you feel like you need to make a comment about UNLV academics? By the way, the min gps and core class requirements to get into UNLV are more or less the same as at Univ of Utah who are in the Pac12.

If you wish to do that I am sure people at unr would be more than happy for you to join their site.

Reactions: RebelinWA
2 cents

We have speedy young backs. One problem with speed backs, especially young ones, is have patience to let holes develop before getting exploding through them. Both Lex and Charles seem to struggle a little with that. However, that's I don't think that is our biggest problem.

Offensively we are too predictable and one sided. We have nearly given up on the passing game. Part of that is to protect Sneed, part of that is lack of trust in WR's, part of that is due to struggles with Stanton. Regardless teams can stack the box and shut us down.

SDSU has a first year QB and OK receivers, but they use their passing game just enough to keep the D honest. And they counter stacking the box or run blitz effectively.

Coach Sanchez has said that our backs aren't great receivers. That's why we have seen them split out wide or in the slot. But a basic screen pass would be nice.

We've abandon quick slants due to the combination of Stanton struggling with accuracy/touch with those throws and drops leading to INTs. I think we need to go back to some of these. They typically are easier throws, and we need to use the passing game more. Get Sneed confidence.

We also need to get our best weapons the ball on offense. Now Boyd has had stuggles given our QB situation. But our QBs this year are better than Kurt was last year. He got better numbers last year. He has underperformed with his targets this year based off what he has proven to be able to do in the past. Maybe he is hurt? But still we need to find creative ways to get him the ball.

D played pretty solid. Got worn down, can't blame them for that. Though gave up some big plays early.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT