ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread

The defense did their part and held up as long as they possibly could. Unfortunately our vaunted Offensive Line, AKA the Orcas turned into the minnows tonight. We couldn't run tonight and we couldn't protect the QB.

We're overmatched by this team... but our playcalling AGAIN on offense has been detestable.

If you are an offensive coordinator, and you can't find a way to get more than one touch for Devonte Boyd in a game like this, you don't deserve to have a job.

The defense was going to inevitably wear down, but it was obvious they were absolutely terrified to try and throw the ball. All SDSU had to do was stack the box and it was game over.

I don't mind losing. Hell, I expected to lose, but come on at least give your team a chance. Every other team in the country throws bubble screens, slip screens quick slants etc. I get protecting your QB but this is ridiculous.

I was saying this same thing to my brother as we watch

I think the defense was outstanding. The offense? What offense? Run on 1st, run on 2nd, run on 3rd, punt. Great play calling

SDSU literally does the MEGA-BLITZ on practically every down and we fail to make them ever pay. Real crack team, this offensive unit and coordinator are. Jesus.

Down 3 wr's and back up qb making second start and SDSU coming off upset loss tough spot for the Rebs. Not our night.
Sure, but what's our excuse for terrible offensive playcalling against teams like Idaho where we still had our (supposedly) #1 QB and Woods? I don't think Cotton will ever be a good OC until we have better talent than our opponents. We ain't Nebraska. You gotta do something original to get our best people into space and a position to succeed.

There is simply no talent whatsoever on this team. Absolutely no speed at all. Is it that hard to recruit skill players given UNLV's very low academic threshold?

Lack of speed? We have two guys that run 10.5 100m, they are both young.

For anybody that's been to practice, was that INT Sneed's full arm strength? Lord that was pathetic. If he were a pitcher he'd top out with a 75 mph fastball.

He has OK arm strength. Boyd has to do a better job at fighting for the ball as well. He has been a big disappointment after game 1.

I gave Barney Cotton credit in another thread for doing a good job. Tonight, was not his best night. I understand trying to protect your young QB. However this was very disappointing. Love the effort from the defense. Just wish Cotton would have opened things up a bit.

Lack of speed? We have two guys that run 10.5 100m, they are both young.
That's great for T&F, but what's their 40 and how many touches per game have they had? Don't get me wrong, I'm hyped, but team speed in general appears very slow-especially at RB.

He has OK arm strength. Boyd has to do a better job at fighting for the ball as well. He has been a big disappointment after game 1.
Was talking about Boyd tonight. With all very good receivers UNLV has had over the years, one has typically stood out far above the others. Of that grouping, the best of the best, Boyd doesn't look close to those other guys (Payne, Johnson, Carter, Wolfe, etc, etc, etc).

Was talking about Boyd tonight. With all very good receivers UNLV has had over the years, one has typically stood out far above the others. Of that grouping, the best of the best, Boyd doesn't look close to those other guys (Payne, Johnson, Carter, Wolfe, etc, etc, etc).
Going back to early last season, I thought Kendal Keys was poised for a breakout year. Obviously that isn't the case with the injury. If we can come back fully healthy and not slowed down for next year, I actually think JR Keys will be the guy of the group over the (will be) Sophomores and Senior.

Still should pass for more than 2 yards though.

Caleb Herring went 1-14 vs Reno one year. It happens.

Last year we got blown out at home. This year the defense played well, but offense struggled to get anything done.

Rocky Long runs one of the more complex and confusing defenses out there.

What is funny to me is people predict we are going to lose before the game. A lot of those predictions were by 14-21 points. It happens and folks still lament about how we aren't better yet.

It was an ugly display on offense. SDSU is top 20 in run defense, we have one receiver that isn't a true freshmen, and a guy making his second career start and first on the road.

On the other hand the defense played pretty well considering how long they were on the field.

Hawaii won't be easy either. They have played pretty well the last two weeks.

This team is probably going to finish with 4 maybe 5 wins.

He looked great his first two years and was on pace to surpass all those guys.

He missed a ton of Spring ball and was limited in the fall. I am starting to wonder if he has some type of lingering injury. He looked explosive in the first game but not much since then..

It doesn't help there isn't another receiver to take pressure off him.

Reactions: RebelinWA
That's great for T&F, but what's their 40 and how many touches per game have they had? Don't get me wrong, I'm hyped, but team speed in general appears very slow-especially at RB.

You're joking right?

Thomas and Williams are two of the faster backs in the conference.

They have been ripping off long runs all year.

If there is one position we don't lack speed it's RB.

I don't mind losing. Hell, I expected to lose, but come on at least give your team a chance. Every other team in the country throws bubble screens, slip screens quick slants etc. I get protecting your QB but this is ridiculous.
I hope the players mind losing. If there's players on the team with your attitude, then I hope they are shown the door.

There is simply no talent whatsoever on this team. Absolutely no speed at all. Is it that hard to recruit skill players given UNLV's very low academic threshold?
On offense, they have speed at the running back position. On defense, I completely agree with you. The fastest player on defense last night was Gabe McCoy, and it looked like he only played about five snaps.

Reference the lack of talent comment above- --'I dont agree that the rebels dont have talent but i understand your position.
Gabe McCoy did have limited time - did great for the 5 minutes that he played. Defense did good but got worn down- - quicker to get injuries that way too. I liked watching mccoy and brian keyes during spring ball- a 250 pound line backer but I don't think I have seen him play other than kickoff.
Where is that added depth they claimed?
We have other tight ends not playing-
Looking at the roster I am reminded that there are fast and good players but they see very limited game time.
I could be wrong but tim holt and robert Jackson just to name a few- I have seen maybe ten minutes total
Trying to trust the coaches but they are human and coaches aren't always right. I don't see a team playing cohesively and I blame the coaches.
I like Sanchez and think he is a game changer- - but- getting donations etc is more than great but the team is lacking heart. Great players and great coaches should equal better scores.
Careful not to scare off the New players signing in February.

Maybe the better question is just that - why don't those fast and good players touch the ball more.

Maybe the better question is just that - why don't those fast and good players touch the ball more.
Because we are too vanilla on offense. SDSU showed us last night how to get your best players touches for chunks of yards. Their playcalling was light years ahead of ours, and they have better players. That's a deadly combo. It really is a testament to the effort of our defense that we held them to 26 points and we were in striking distance most of the game.

Because we are too vanilla on offense. SDSU showed us last night how to get your best players touches for chunks of yards. Their playcalling was light years ahead of ours, and they have better players. That's a deadly combo. It really is a testament to the effort of our defense that we held them to 26 points and we were in striking distance most of the game.
Defense played well enough for UNLV To win. The offense was beyond bad. Can't keep the D on the field as long as what happened.

And while we're talking about playcalling, our special teams have been really bad this year. Punt returns, kickoff returns, and punt/kick coverage. Really bad. It seems like every time we receive a kickoff, our returner runs straight into 3 defenders at the 18 yard line.

Punt returns, we are 123/128 in average punt return yards at a whopping 0 yards per return.

On offense, they have speed at the running back position. On defense, I completely agree with you. The fastest player on defense last night was Gabe McCoy, and it looked like he only played about five snaps.

Because he plays mostly DE/LB hybrid and only weighs 215lbs. He is great for pash rush situation. He can't play everydown vs the run he isn't big enough.

When he plays LB he typically plays at Tau's spot. Should we sit Tau?

Brian Keyes got some live reps today, he hits hard, but is a little slow. I like our lb rotation. They played hard all 4 quarters. Our D line/ ends have some talent, but we aren't deep enough to maintain the kind of aggressive defense all four quarters. This isn't basketball, we can't do a full court press for four quarters. It is getting better, its a process.

In terms of Lex and Williams, they both run true 4.3's. They have great cutback ability and natural vision. Remember, one is a true sophmore who put up enough yards per carry through our first three games to be considered an elite back. Williams is a true freshman, he was playing high school ball at this time last year. For only having a summer and fall camp, he is developing well. Outside of SDSU, our running offense has the potential to be the best in the conference. Injuries force us to be one dimensional.

It isn't all about speed though, our O line needs to create gaps for them to fit through. In the pre game press conference, Krietler admitted that SDSU's run defense was the strongest defense they encountered last year, better than Michigan and UCLA. Lets be realistic, the struggled, but they are young. They took the lumps, lets hope they grow from this. With so many young guys, I think our O line is going to develop into something good. Polu, Garcia, and Caldwell can play at the next level, the oldest of the three is a redshirt freshman.

Its good we all are disappointed, because we all expect the best. Honestly the play calling on offense is way too vanilla. There isn't much innovation as I would like. Don't give up on the team yet, its a process.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT