ADVERTISEMENT

First Game in New Stadium

wattjose

All Conference
Feb 4, 2012
Ok now that the stadium will happen what does UNLV do for its first game in the new stadium? I have been going back and for between a couple different ideas.
Do we play a school we have a very good chance of beating?
A PAC-12 school maybe?
BYU or Utah?
Or my favorite play RENO. I think it would be kinda cool since the stadium was largely publicly funded to let the two state schools play the first game. They are scheduled to play here in Vegas that year so the game would have to be moved to the start of the season.

I would hope the program has a few winning seasons in a row heading into the opening season of the Vegas dome.

Attendance should be on the upswing too.

A team like BYU who hopefully we can be competitive then would bring a ton of fans.

Maybe the first game can be a big hit and we can pull 40k+ and the lower bowl can be sold out.

Not sure if we will have those features like the Atlanta stadium to hide the second level in a cool way.

Would be awesome to open the stadium with a game with an awesome atmosphere.

Reno would be a cool game too. I think I would rather keep it during rivalry weekend though when more may be on the line.

A PAC 12 game would be cool too. They can make the announcement at halftime that UNLV has officially been invited to and will be joining the PAC 14!

IMO we go big. The stadium will be a big deal especially considering it would be the first college game and the Raiders would only have played a preseason game or 2. I think we can get a big tv audience for it and we will bring in a name program. Plenty of schools like to come west and I think with TV help we will get a big name.

Reactions: mvvsmith
IMO we go big. The stadium will be a big deal especially considering it would be the first college game and the Raiders would only have played a preseason game or 2. I think we can get a big tv audience for it and we will bring in a name program. Plenty of schools like to come west and I think with TV help we will get a big name.
I say go big too.

Get Wisconsin back in the rotation. Stadium could be jam packed, all red, those photos would be stock use for years to come.

I believe that with UNLV continued improvement, and the unique situation of this being the first college football game in the new stadium, that they could get a very large mostly local crowd even if many of the crowd are not UNLV fans. It would be a huge showcase for UNLV to showoff that they have arrived to a most likely nationally televised game.

Well right now in 2020 we have Louisiana Tech & Arizona State as our first home games. Maybe they can swap dates but La Tech isnt a bad opponent.

2021 We get Iowa St at home and I imagine , like last time we played them, they would travel well.

I would hope the program has a few winning seasons in a row heading into the opening season of the Vegas dome.

Attendance should be on the upswing too.

A team like BYU who hopefully we can be competitive then would bring a ton of fans.

Maybe the first game can be a big hit and we can pull 40k+ and the lower bowl can be sold out.

Not sure if we will have those features like the Atlanta stadium to hide the second level in a cool way.

Would be awesome to open the stadium with a game with an awesome atmosphere.

Reno would be a cool game too. I think I would rather keep it during rivalry weekend though when more may be on the line.

A PAC 12 game would be cool too. They can make the announcement at halftime that UNLV has officially been invited to and will be joining the PAC 14!
If we were lucky enough to be the 13th Member invited to the NEW PAC-14, Who would be the 14th FUNR?

Colorado State possibly. They are building new facilities, natural rival for Colorado. Helps even out divisions. Opens up potential revenue games in OOC schedule for CU.

If we were lucky enough to be the 13th Member invited to the NEW PAC-14, Who would be the 14th FUNR?
ZERO chance of that. One of the great benefits would be separation from them, presumedly forever.

I do think change is going to occur. And there may be a temporary measure before P5. Schools can only move to a P5 when the P5 is willing and ready. Before then, I do think you'll see some non-P5 jockeying, mixing and matching going on, which may or may not include some sort of disassembly and reassembly of the B12 (maybe under a different name).... there are SO many different scenarios here. But things aren't going to stay idle for all that long.

You may see the MWC disassemble/reassemble with some members of that B12 or other schools. At this point, I'm pretty damn sure there are alliances when the stuff blows up again. It'll be like Survivor or Big Brother with the promises and sticking together. I don't think you'll see UNLV in bed with UNR, because UNR is the much weaker link (doesn't mean squat that they beat us in hoops and basketball). I think you'll see SDSU, BSU, UNLV try to stay tight. And I think you'll see them stay tight with (gasp) BYU. Some variation primarily involving those teams. Let's face it, BYU's gamble blew up in their face. Money wise, it didn't hurt them. But they've fallen off any map of significance with football and even basketball. The move didn't work and if their higher ups were honest about it, they'd admit it, but they're a prideful, arrogant bunch that has never made a mistake.

Ya I prefer the Reno game to end the season, but this is a scenario where I would be ok with moving it. Maybe we play them the second week and plays road game the first week to work out the early season jitters!

ZERO chance of that. One of the great benefits would be separation from them, presumedly forever.

I do think change is going to occur. And there may be a temporary measure before P5. Schools can only move to a P5 when the P5 is willing and ready. Before then, I do think you'll see some non-P5 jockeying, mixing and matching going on, which may or may not include some sort of disassembly and reassembly of the B12 (maybe under a different name).... there are SO many different scenarios here. But things aren't going to stay idle for all that long.

You may see the MWC disassemble/reassemble with some members of that B12 or other schools. At this point, I'm pretty damn sure there are alliances when the stuff blows up again. It'll be like Survivor or Big Brother with the promises and sticking together. I don't think you'll see UNLV in bed with UNR, because UNR is the much weaker link (doesn't mean squat that they beat us in hoops and basketball). I think you'll see SDSU, BSU, UNLV try to stay tight. And I think you'll see them stay tight with (gasp) BYU. Some variation primarily involving those teams. Let's face it, BYU's gamble blew up in their face. Money wise, it didn't hurt them. But they've fallen off any map of significance with football and even basketball. The move didn't work and if their higher ups were honest about it, they'd admit it, but they're a prideful, arrogant bunch that has never made a mistake.

I don't think that BYU is regretting the decision that much.

They get way more money and exposure with their football contract with ESPN. They also have moved into a superior basketball conference. You think they look at the MW in both football and basketball now and regret leaving?

Now I do think that they thought it would be different with football. I'm pretty sure that they would be the second coming of Notre Dame, and they haven't been. They would be better served joining a Power conference. No question about that. It would be a good idea to partner with them in those efforts. I hate them too, but they have a lot to offer.

I don't think that BYU is regretting the decision that much.

They get way more money and exposure with their football contract with ESPN. They also have moved into a superior basketball conference. You think they look at the MW in both football and basketball now and regret leaving?

Now I do think that they thought it would be different with football. I'm pretty sure that they would be the second coming of Notre Dame, and they haven't been. They would be better served joining a Power conference. No question about that. It would be a good idea to partner with them in those efforts. I hate them too, but they have a lot to offer.
What I'm saying isn't guesswork. Their decision was knee jerk and ego driven, Utah getting an invite to play in the major leagues and leaving little old BYU to play in Double A forced the reaction. It didn't hurt them money wise, but the whole independent thing didn't help them at all with football. And they don't care about basketball, so WCC doesn't matter to them. They're playing in a sandbox alone with football.

But they're aligning themselves behind the scenes with schools for future movement.

It didn't hurt them with football or basketball when you look at the overall crash landing of the MWC. The biggest downfall for byu is simply that they refuse to play on Sundays which will make it very difficult for them to get into a major conference.

Independence is a risk, that's for sure. Not having a conference hurts them in some ways. But the MW in football has fallen pretty hard too. They are on ESPN pretty much every week and they are getting much more money and exposure because of it.

I'm not saying it wasn't knee jerk or Ego driven. But it worked out for them. Better money, better exposure, better basketball conference at this point.

Now they are not Notre Dame. They NEED to align with a power 5 to survive like the rest of us.

It didn't hurt them with football or basketball when you look at the overall crash landing of the MWC. The biggest downfall for byu is simply that they refuse to play on Sundays which will make it very difficult for them to get into a major conference.
The Sunday thing kills them but that's the way they want it.

But it's ok to participate in the Super Bowl....

Whatever.

Reactions: RebtillDeath
What I'm saying isn't guesswork. Their decision was knee jerk and ego driven, Utah getting an invite to play in the major leagues and leaving little old BYU to play in Double A forced the reaction. It didn't hurt them money wise, but the whole independent thing didn't help them at all with football. And they don't care about basketball, so WCC doesn't matter to them. They're playing in a sandbox alone with football.

But they're aligning themselves behind the scenes with schools for future movement.
I'd love to be a fly on the wall for these conversations and to have a crystal ball so I knew what the future held (for sure, not our current speculation) in terms of realignment. There's a ton of communication going on behind the scenes at many schools (Ivy league excluded). Look at WSU leaving the MVC. It's not like they just decided to make a call this week about it.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I'd love to be a fly on the wall for these conversations and to have a crystal ball so I knew what the future held (for sure, not our current speculation) in terms of realignment. There's a ton of communication going on behind the scenes at many schools (Ivy league excluded). Look at WSU leaving the MVC. It's not like they just decided to make a call this week about it.

Exactly...

Our attendance is looking to take a big jump. By 2020, UNLV will be in its second or third year above .500 and two likely bowl seasons. Significant increase in UNLV attendance and seasons PLUS increase in opposing teams fans wanting to watch a game in Las Vegas Stadium (home of the Raiders). I fully expect average attendance in 2020 to top 38K, maybe more.

Wishful thinking, scarlet glasses, call it whatever you want. Mark this thread.

Take a look at SDSU, Memphis, Cincinnati for inspiration. Couple that with a new stadium, a winning record, the allure of Vegas, UNLV is set to flip the script. Exciting times to be a Rebel.

Oklahoma "IF" everyone is smart but they aren't.
Boise State "IF" they can improve their academics in time but they have a long way to go. With their projected future growth rate, New Mexico might just be the answer.

Oklahoma "IF" everyone is smart but they aren't.
Boise State "IF" they can improve their academics in time but they have a long way to go. With their projected future growth rate, New Mexico might just be the answer.

Colorado State more likely. Opens up OOC game for Colorado. CSU improving facilities...

Colorado State more likely. Opens up OOC game for Colorado. CSU improving facilities...
Probably not CSU. The PAC 12 already has the Colorado TV market wrapped up with the Buffs and CSU wouldn't help them any further. That's one of the reasons why they wouldn't want UNR if they took us in and, since they have Utah, they won't be adding another program from that state. The same reasoning applies to SDSU because they already have the So. Cal TV market wrapped up. The PAC expansion will be all about increasing the present and future TV viewers through existing markets and future growth markets. Boise makes the most sense from that perspective and due to location but the PAC values academics more than any other conference but the Big Ten.

I met a huge Wisconsin fan at an steakhouse in Willaims, AZ. They have a donor group pushing a home and home with UNLV, with the first game opening the stadium. Cool huh?

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I met a huge Wisconsin fan at an steakhouse in Willaims, AZ. They have a donor group pushing a home and home with UNLV, with the first game opening the stadium. Cool huh?
This would be great. Big-time program with ties back to us. And they travel very well!

If it was up to me, and I'm biased, I'd rather that it be Nebraska. Nobody travels better and with the connections on the staffs, both teams would play with a lot of good will.

Texas will be in the next round of expansion for the PAC in my opinion. Hopefully we are with them.

Big 12 is disfinctional and will be gone most likely by 2025.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT