ADVERTISEMENT

Dellenger: MWC talking to FCS Tarleton State

So hold on.

These fools didn't have that already figured out?

Did they actually go into all these negotiations with Memphis and Company potential numbers only?

Like no contingency plans? If Memphis and Co. are no but we add UNLV and USU this is where we are at?

If it's us 7 plus fill in the blank this is what it would be?

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but this sounds like there are some rumblings behind the scenes with the original four maybe not being happy with the direction this is going.

If that media deal slips down into the 6-8 million dollar range and now you promised Gonzaga a full share was all this crap even worth it?
Hard to tell. Or, they had some numbers based on certain schools coming, and when it didn't play out how they thought it would, they decided to go back and get updated numbers, then they can approach schools with a current media deal.

Hard to tell. Or, they had some numbers based on certain schools coming, and when it didn't play out how they thought it would, they decided to go back and get updated numbers, then they can approach schools with a current media deal.

But you think they would have had BEST CASE scenario and DOOMSDAY SCENARIO already figured out.

I mean if I'm Boise or whoever I would want to know both high and low end. If low end still made sense to leave MWC then so be it.

If it didn't you wouldn't make the move right?

Wouldn't you want to know that before making this leap?

But you think they would have had BEST CASE scenario and DOOMSDAY SCENARIO already figured out.

I mean if I'm Boise or whoever I would want to know both high and low end. If low end still made sense to leave MWC then so be it.

I would, 100%. But OSU/WSU pitched them on "trust me bro", which was good enough I guess :D

I would, 100%. But OSU/WSU pitched them on "trust me bro", which was good enough I guess :D

😀

Hear me out here.

What if UNLV and USU were the doomsday scenario. And UNLV opting to stay put caused the PAC to have to completely recalibrate?

If Texas State was a slam dunk addition why not do it and be done with it. Or elevating SAC State or even NMSU?

😀

Hear me out here.

What if UNLV and USU were the doomsday scenario. And UNLV opting to stay put caused the PAC to have to completely recalibrate?

If Texas State was a slam dunk addition why not do it and be done with it. Or elevating SAC State or even NMSU?
I hope you're right. We'll probably find out in the next 2-3 weeks

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
😀

Hear me out here.

One other hypothetical, and I don't know if this is even on the table, BUT...

What if there are several schools (maybe UNLV also) asking for them to get hard numbers, and to change their offer? What if, they find out the media deal is $10 million / year, and they agree to offer UNLV $10 million towards the exit fees, and finance the rest over 5 years? I mean, I don't know if that gets you there or not, but there would be a point where a school would change their mind. What if it's $12 million/year? Or if it's $8 million, but they offer to pay 75% of exit fees?

I hope you're right. We'll probably find out in the next 2-3 weeks

I mean maybe they circle back to Memphis with a better offer. But I'm not sure there's an offer good enough to compensate USF with the travel costs.

Maybe UTSA as well.

Something is definitely up because you don't go from talking to Texas State to we're shutting it all down to reevaluate for a month.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Fair enough. Although the former Pac-12 had their FB title game in Vegas and the men's and Women's BB tourneys have been there for some time. And I believe our media days were there too.
That was when the Pac 12 looked down on everyone from their high towers... We tried so hard to meet the requirements of developing into a Tier 1 university to be even able to say hi.. Big 12 didnt thumb their noses at us with that regard.

No because Boise has wanted out for a while and no one else wanted them.. they tried the Big East, it fell apart, they tried the Big 12, the invite never happened. They wanted the Pac 12, they weren't wanted back. Now they're a power broker in the Pac 12, so you discuss numbers, but you aren't terribly interested because you're 100% certain the number will be better than the MWC even if its only marginally and now you get to play "P4" while actually just being a G5 with a fancy name...

No because Boise has wanted out for a while and no one else wanted them.. they tried the Big East, it fell apart, they tried the Big 12, the invite never happened. They wanted the Pac 12, they weren't wanted back. Now they're a power broker in the Pac 12, so you discuss numbers, but you aren't terribly interested because you're 100% certain the number will be better than the MWC even if its only marginally and now you get to play "P4" while actually just being a G5 with a fancy name...

But it makes zero sense. Anybody with half a brain knows the P4 aren't letting another 'power' conference in for an auto bid AND let a G5 get a bid as well. It wipes out an at large for them.

I'm not arguing your point only the idiocy of their thought process if that was the case.

I mean seriously is 3 million more per year worth it in a media deal for them?

I guess the better way to ask it is we all know they get a bigger chunk now.

What's the point where the increase in media deal no longer justifies the exit fees and locking yourself into a 30 million dollar exit fee is no longer worth it?

Do they now surrender all basketball units going forward? Any bowl game revenue for this year and next?

I don't know how that works.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
They'll remain FB only. It's everything else that creates the problem. (Travel expense)
Out of curiosity, and I’m not going to quote every proponent of Hawaii as a full member but, why not?

Yes, travel expense and time and all that… I do get that part and it’s not a small thing… but isn’t a smaller league already overcoming that? I don’t know, just curious.

Out of curiosity, and I’m not going to quote every proponent of Hawaii as a full member but, why not?

Yes, travel expense and time and all that… I do get that part and it’s not a small thing… but isn’t a smaller league already overcoming that? I don’t know, just curious.

Not sure. I would think if it made sense it would have been done already?

Reactions: oneepstein
But it makes zero sense. Anybody with half a brain knows the P4 aren't letting another 'power' conference in for an auto bid AND let a G5 get a bid as well. It wipes out an at large for them.

I'm not arguing your point only the idiocy of their thought process if that was the case.

I mean seriously is 3 million more per year worth it in a media deal for them?

I guess the better way to ask it is we all know they get a bigger chunk now.

What's the point where the increase in media deal no longer justifies the exit fees and locking yourself into a 30 million dollar exit fee is no longer worth it?

Do they now surrender all basketball units going forward? Any bowl game revenue for this year and next?

I don't know how that works.
Agreed, it makes no sense unless you are 100% certain that doing so gives you essentially the inside track to as close an autobid as you can get. Its like BCS era type thought where youre banking on the conference rating lifting you over the finish line just enough vs say aggressive OOC scheduling that UNLV will need to do. But I still think that it leaves a ton of opportunity for competitive failure- ie- your conference to to bottom is strong but its still G5 strong and 2 or 3 losses will still hurt much more than say the MWC would..

Not sure. I would think if it made sense it would have been done already?
Yeah, I don’t know, but that’s as good a guess as any I suppose. I mean I know it might be a pain for the other sports, I just wonder if it doesn’t make sense now.

They’re already a football member so we wouldn’t have to add ANOTHER less than stellar member. Would be less “bad press” than adding Tarleton State. Less shares being split means maybe everyone gets a boost in revenue to cover travel expenses?

🤷🏽‍♂️

Yeah, I don’t know, but that’s as good a guess as any I suppose. I mean I know it might be a pain for the other sports, I just wonder if it doesn’t make sense now.

They’re already a football member so we wouldn’t have to add ANOTHER less than stellar member. Would be less “bad press” than adding Tarleton State. Less shares being split means maybe everyone gets a boost in revenue to cover travel expenses?

🤷🏽‍♂️

If the logistics made sense I'd be all for it.

I'm not sure adding NMSU would add anything more than Hawaii.

I've mentioned before I'd kick tires on Western Kentucky. They might require a travel partner to make it happen. Last 5 years- 9,9,9,8 and 5 wins. Pair with Middle Tennessee State? I'd rather have that vs adding NMSU. I think adding UTEP made the need for NMSU obsolete.

Definitely would prefer that over Tarleton.

My opinion you add Tarleton after more established programs not to get to your 8.

One other hypothetical, and I don't know if this is even on the table, BUT...

What if there are several schools (maybe UNLV also) asking for them to get hard numbers, and to change their offer? What if, they find out the media deal is $10 million / year, and they agree to offer UNLV $10 million towards the exit fees, and finance the rest over 5 years? I mean, I don't know if that gets you there or not, but there would be a point where a school would change their mind. What if it's $12 million/year? Or if it's $8 million, but they offer to pay 75% of exit fees?

You would have to consider it.

I think adding Hawaii as a full member is better than Tarleton and NMSU. We did it before with the WAC, they are doing it now with smaller cali schools. They have been there. It doesn't add a market, but it doesn't detract further that most add would.

I am not sure about reaching to Mid Tennessee and WKU. It stretches stuff out, and I just don't think it moves the bottom line enough. Maybe football only?

Reactions: oneepstein
If the logistics made sense I'd be all for it.

I'm not sure adding NMSU would add anything more than Hawaii.

I've mentioned before I'd kick tires on Western Kentucky. They might require a travel partner to make it happen. Last 5 years- 9,9,9,8 and 5 wins. Pair with Middle Tennessee State? I'd rather have that vs adding NMSU. I think adding UTEP made the need for NMSU obsolete.

Definitely would prefer that over Tarleton.

My opinion you add Tarleton after more established programs not to get to your 8.
WKU makes sense for a couple reasons that's not performance based... Its about an hour and a half from Louisville and from Nashville. Nice little school. Gets you into Tennessee and into Kentucky... yes, its not UK or Louisville, or Vanderbilt, but it is a school with interest in those markets.

WKU makes sense for a couple reasons that's not performance based... Its about an hour and a half from Louisville and from Nashville. Nice little school. Gets you into Tennessee and into Kentucky... yes, its not UK or Louisville, or Vanderbilt, but it is a school with interest in those markets.

Yeah of potential/realistic options it's one I 100% think MWC should be in on.

It would be my top target.

I just don't know if travel makes sense unless they have a partner (or two). Which would probably be Middle Tennessee and La Tech?

Neither of which are super appealing.

I mean maybe they circle back to Memphis with a better offer. But I'm not sure there's an offer good enough to compensate USF with the travel costs.

Maybe UTSA as well.

Something is definitely up because you don't go from talking to Texas State to we're shutting it all down to reevaluate for a month.
If they want to evaluate media deals depending on who joins it allows them to provide specifics to potential schools right now not having a media deal is hurting them this helps quantify that so I can see why the pause.

I think adding Hawaii as a full member is better than Tarleton and NMSU. We did it before with the WAC, they are doing it now with smaller cali schools. They have been there. It doesn't add a market, but it doesn't detract further that most add would.

I am not sure about reaching to Mid Tennessee and WKU. It stretches stuff out, and I just don't think it moves the bottom line enough. Maybe football only?
That’s my thinking, but then again I don’t know much about the logistics or cost. I’d rather stay at 8 though I think for the immediate future.

If they want to evaluate media deals depending on who joins it allows them to provide specifics to potential schools right now not having a media deal is hurting them this helps quantify that so I can see why the pause.

That's the thing. I think they did initial projections based on 3 or 4 outcomes. The 4th outcome being the Doomsday worst case scenario (minimum media rights projection that made sense vs merger) No Memphis or anyone else from the AAC and settling on USU and UNLV. But a funny thing happened and UNLV stayed put throwing last projection out the window. If the 8th member and their effect on media rights didn't matter why not just grab NMSU or whoever and call it a day. I think all their projections involved all AAC additions or a combo of AAC and MWC or UNLV and USU. I'm not sure there was a model that didn't include some combination of that and now they are scrambling.

I had a couple glasses of wine so apologies if that's a word salad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boston Rebel 2
Agreed, it makes no sense unless you are 100% certain that doing so gives you essentially the inside track to as close an autobid as you can get. Its like BCS era type thought where youre banking on the conference rating lifting you over the finish line just enough vs say aggressive OOC scheduling that UNLV will need to do. But I still think that it leaves a ton of opportunity for competitive failure- ie- your conference to to bottom is strong but its still G5 strong and 2 or 3 losses will still hurt much more than say the MWC would..

Well I think current MWC set up was as close to a guarantee as G5 could ask for. MWC was better than every other G5 conference and I don't think it was all that close.

Aside from pure arrogance not doing a reverse merger really baffles me. Ok so what you have some dead weight. Every conference has that. Even P4s.

Well I think current MWC set up was as close to a guarantee as G5 could ask for. MWC was better than every other G5 conference and I don't think it was all that close.

Aside from pure arrogance not doing a reverse merger really baffles me. Ok so what you have some dead weight. Every conference has that. Even P4s.
Egos, money, and ambition...
Ego- Pac 2 still thinking they were above everyone else, 2 of the 4 traitors
Money- 240 million reasons, P4 level debt with growing deficits
Ambition- new commissioner wanting to make name for herself, 4 programs wanting to feel like they finally got into the cool kids club...
Bunch of idiots ruining best G5 conference hands down

Egos, money, and ambition...
Ego- Pac 2 still thinking they were above everyone else, 2 of the 4 traitors
Money- 240 million reasons, P4 level debt with growing deficits
Ambition- new commissioner wanting to make name for herself, 4 programs wanting to feel like they finally got into the cool kids club...
Bunch of idiots ruining best G5 conference hands down

What's that old saying?

A fool and his money are soon parted?

They felt like they can double their annual revenue per year.
I get what they were trying to do, it does make sense in the long run.
They are going to have to bite the bullet on an 8th member somehow. If they're paching fee lawsuit does anything at all they will be set up in a better situation than their merger
Also considering how Gloria bullied them on the second year of the scheduling agreement, I wouldn't be suprised if she was bullish in sharing things like the NCAAT credits that thr PAC have coming from the old conference.

That's the thing. I think they did initial projections based on 3 or 4 outcomes. The 4th outcome being the Doomsday worst case scenario (minimum media rights projection that made sense vs merger) No Memphis or anyone else from the AAC and settling on USU and UNLV. But a funny thing happened and UNLV stayed put throwing last projection out the window. If the 8th member and their effect on media rights didn't matter why not just grab NMSU or whoever and call it a day. I think all their projections involved all AAC additions or a combo of AAC and MWC or UNLV and USU. I'm not sure there was a model that didn't include some combination of that and now they are scrambling.

I had a couple glasses of wine so apologies if that's a word salad.
No problem Kamala 🤣

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT