ADVERTISEMENT

Line ‘em up: Predictions and Game Thread Boise

The ridiculous amount of meaningless draw plays worries me. We have playmakers all over the field. Use them.
Where is this 3 headed Go-Go monster that we were expecting to see. The sidecar formation rarely gets used, we don't screen at all, we rarely run jet sweeps anymore, it's just Hajj hand-off or Hajj dive, deep shot, or Ricky 7-10 yards... it's predictable

Marion has basically decided to run the same 5 plays every game. Consisting of 3 draw plays. Except for the one time he decides to throw to Ballungay. It's a basic spread offense. And our RB group isn't anywhere near as good as Davis and Lester were.
Just going to say this!

Man I wish we had Lex in this offense, he could take it 80 in a heartbeat!

What’s up with Burrell and Green?!!

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Just going to say this!

Man I wish we had Lex in this offense, he could take it 80 in a heartbeat!

What’s up with Burrell and Green?!!
We are scoring a lot more points than last season, but I think short fields/scores because of blocked punts and turnovers have aided greatly.

I’d rather have Hajj than Maiava because of his ability to run within the system, but Maiava had a better arm, imo. Better chemistry with receivers. I didn’t like his head, poor decisions but Hajj is doing similar with more experience.

Our runners last year, I think it was a much stronger group than this year. As a whole, the offense was smoother last year, and I mean by a lot. Not talking stats or records or anything. Just eyeballs. Way better flow to the offense last season. It was more consistent series to series, play to play. This year seems super jaggedy and part of it is some really ill timed play calling, it seems.

We are scoring a lot more points than last season, but I think short fields/scores because of blocked punts and turnovers have aided greatly.

I’d rather have Hajj than Maiava because of his ability to run within the system, but Maiava had a better arm, imo. Better chemistry with receivers. I didn’t like his head, poor decisions but Hajj is doing similar with more experience.

Our runners last year, I think it was a much stronger group than this year. As a whole, the offense was smoother last year, and I mean by a lot. Not talking stats or records or anything. Just eyeballs. Way better flow to the offense last season. It was more consistent series to series, play to play. This year seems super jaggedy and part of it is some really ill timed play calling, it seems.
But Lex in this offense though… lol

I would say the offense was more consistent last year.

This year, we’ve had drives where we make it look easy driving the length of the field (last 4th qtr drive vs Syracuse). Then there are others where we are out of rhythm.

Too many deep pass plays on 1st down last night for my liking. Created too many instances of playing from behind schedule. I think this led to Boise keeping the blitz pressure high throughout the game.

The ridiculous amount of meaningless draw plays worries me. We have playmakers all over the field. Use them.
The draws worked pretty well and I get it given the pursuit of the d line but agree we need more variety very few quick passes, seam routes to the TE, and in general we don’t use the middle of the field or our TEs enough.

This year, we’ve had drives where we make it look easy driving the length of the field (last 4th qtr drive vs Syracuse). Then there are others where we are out of rhythm.

Too many deep pass plays on 1st down last night for my liking. Created too many instances of playing from behind schedule. I think this led to Boise keeping the blitz pressure high throughout the game.
This leads to too many 3 and outs for us!
We get behind the chains and couple this with the questionable play calling and it leads to our defense getting gassed by the fourth quarter!

I'm not worried about either leaving. We'll be fine if they do. I'm kind of over a defense that can't get any pressure in a QB and sits in soft zones coverage 80% of the game
can’t really complain too much about the defense, they kept Jeanty in check last night. Only problem was they couldn’t generate any turnovers. The defense is tops in the country in turnovers.

It used to be that unlv would get torched on every drive, getting demolished in the trenches for 200-300 yards on the ground and/or in the air.

Where is this 3 headed Go-Go monster that we were expecting to see. The sidecar formation rarely gets used, we don't screen at all, we rarely run jet sweeps anymore, it's just Hajj hand-off or Hajj dive, deep shot, or Ricky 7-10 yards... it's predictable
There were a couple sweeps but they got snuffed out. There wasn’t much available in terms of spreading the ball around. Where was DeJesus? Hurt?

Part of that is poor play calling and Hajj just not consistently accurate with his throws while also looking out of sync with the receivers. Offensive line needs to improve.

I’m talking all year long. Plenty of opportunities to get him wide. His TDs came from his normal TE spot. I’m talking lining him up as a wide out.
Kaleo Ballungay is under used. NEED To get him involved. HE is a nightmare matchup.

The more time I’ve had to think about this game the more frustrated I am with the play-calling. It’s been brutal at the worst times. Red zone offense has just been very poor, no two ways about it, while the rest of the offense has become very predictable. I could understand it if we didn’t have other threats, but we have decent receivers (that’s an understatement for RW) and a very capable TE plus RBs who can get into the flat for quick 4-7 pick-ups. I don’t get it. Is HMW just not accurate in the short yardage passing game? If they don’t trust Hajj’s passing should we experiment more with Friel at times? Teams have figured out Marion’s offense and simply stack the box against the run and put a little pressure on Hajj, high percentage chance that he doesn’t hit a receiver assuming one is open. I’m beginning to hope that another program poaches Marion so we can get a better system in place.

Yes. Teams did the same thing vs us last year once the figured it out. Stack the box, slow the offense, put pressure selectively. Our blocked punts a defensive turnovers have helped make the field shorter and in turn increase our ppg. But in between those plays we re really slow down and unless it's a broken play or deep shot, we don't move the ball enough with the guys we have available

At first, I was a proponent of Marion staying as a HC if Odom is poached but Marion is part of the problem of the offensive woes because of his play calling. Yes the OL is also very poor at times as well but Marion has either plateaued as an OC or the personnel he recruited at the QB spot has been exposed!

Yeah I think I can count on one hand the times I've seen a UNLV WR catch an intermediate pass over the middle of the field. We don't even touch it with the pass.

Seems to me that they expected Haj to roll right and generated a lot of pressure on that side

I can't remember how many votes we had but I think we actually got more votes after the loss in both coaches and AP than we had before.

I can't remember how many votes we had but I think we actually got more votes after the loss in both coaches and AP than we had before.
This is important because it will serve as tie breaker in MWC and keeps us in striking distance if we can get into a d win MWC championship game

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT