ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest player disappointments this season

lobbybuu

Retired Number
Dec 29, 2022
I was really disappointed with Landon Rogers and Zavier Carter this season. I thought both would have great seasons.

Rogers got hurt early and had 1 rec the entire season. He was healthy the last half of the season. Heard great things about him during summer and fall camp, but for some reason it didnt come together for him. Thats disappointing because De Jesus is not WR2 and we didnt really have any other options out wide. Conerly and Gicinto were underwhelming so I expected to see Rogers at some point and get targets in the second half of the season.

Carter was probably the biggest disappointment of the year. Got into it with Scherer during practice and got kicked out & then told that he couldnt fly with the team to Michigan. Other times, he just didnt play at all. It never seemed like he wanted to be at UNLV.

All of this to say, I hope we identify better fits/talent from the portal this cycle.

Any other disappointments?

Last edited:
I'd throw out there Doug...
He was the incumbent starter. Underwhelmed in his time as starter then got hurt and disappeared for a few weeks...

I'm not familiar enough with names and expectations but yeah Carter not playing or not impacting the game at the level of his talent was disappointing. You could argue alot of defense had similar disappointments give how units played and fell apart

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I was really disappointed with Landon Rogers and Zavier Carter this season. I thought both would have great seasons.

Rogers got hurt early and had 1 rec the entire season. He was healthy the last half of the season. Heard great things about him during summer and fall camp, but for some reason it didnt come together for him. Thats disappointing because De Jesus is not WR2 and we didnt really have any other options out wide. Conerly and Gicinto were underwhelming so I expected to see Rogers at some point and get targets in the second half of the season.

Carter was probably the biggest disappointment of the year. Got into it with Scherer during practice and got kicked out & then told that he couldnt fly with the team to Michigan. Other times, he just didnt play at all. It never seemed like he wanted to be at UNLV.

All of this to say, I hope we identify better fits/talent from the portal this cycle.

Tough to assess that kind of stuff through short recruiting of the portal. That type of thing, more than actual talent, is what makes the portal so hit and miss.

Carter probably.

Expected him to be at the very least a situational edge rusher that could produce 5 or 6 sacks on the year with his length and athleticism.

The Oline as a unit. They weren't bad by any stretch. We're a better pass blocking unit than I thought. Did well early in the year with run blocking but as season wore on I thought we struggled to convert short yardage runs regularly. A lot of our success in run game felt predicated on deception vs just bossing teams up front consistently.

Again not awful. Just not as good as I thought they could have been.

Carter probably.

Expected him to be at the very least a situational edge rusher that could produce 5 or 6 sacks on the year with his length and athleticism.

The Oline as a unit. They weren't bad by any stretch. We're a better pass blocking unit than I thought. Did well early in the year with run blocking but as season wore on I thought we struggled to convert short yardage runs regularly. A lot of our success in run game felt predicated on deception vs just bossing teams up front consistently.

Again not awful. Just not as good as I thought they could have been.
Don’t want to dump on Oline, but I totally agree this was one area that I thought the coaching could improve( in regard to finishing plays and aggression, not assignment) and just further development overall. Simply finishing plays - playing to the echo of the whistle! I would love to see a more aggressive drive on that end for the run game.
They had hands on guys like it was tag and not finishing blocks… driving. It was the second level blocks, they got there, but thought it was over at that point!
Give me an offensive penalty for unnecessary roughness on an Oline… and I’ll tell you we are on our way!

Last edited:
I know the thread is ‘disappointments, but I want to share my happiness with the other trench - D line. I might have had lower expectations, but I was really pleased with how they battled! From starters to walk-ons…they seemed to put on muscle through the year and make some great plays in the trenches/backfield … love to see this group keep growing!!

I know the thread is ‘disappointments, but I want to share my happiness with the other trench - D line. I might have had lower expectations, but I was really pleased with how they battled! From starters to walk-ons…they seemed to put on muscle through the year and make some great plays in the trenches/backfield … love to see this group keep growing!!
I do love them but they need some help from the offence side of thing. Then their D line need more help. They are badasses but they need to get off the field sooner against teams like Boise. They stays too long and make too many mistakes

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT