ADVERTISEMENT

Big Zimm waived

I'd love to see him sign with a team that has the patience and time to develop him properly.

Honestly, you're a top 5 rated 7-foot high school center and your choice is stay at UNLV where you have serious doubts as to the programs ability to develop you, redshirt and risk injury over another 2 years or take your chances going pro. No he wasn't ready for the NBA but I still don't blame him one bit for going. Easy to sit back and make choices for the kid when you're not in his shoes.

Reactions: RunninRebel4Life
You blame Dave rice?? Lmfao not even the great cheater calapari could develop him. Kid was a loooser and overrated. Right? Rebelmom lol

Maybe he just wasn't good enough to play in the NBA. Blaming Dave Rice is silly. What about his coaches in Orlando this year? There are only 450 guys playing in the NBA. No shame in not being good enough to play in the NBA...

Reactions: j. spilotro
The problem was that Zimm was not ready to go into the NBA, and Rice was way too nice of a guy to tell him that. If Zimm stayed for a couple of more years, and matured, he would have better control of his body, and a stronger game. I just hope for him that he can pick up the skills in Europe to make another run at the NBA in the future.

The problem was that Zimm was not ready to go into the NBA, and Rice was way too nice of a guy to tell him that. If Zimm stayed for a couple of more years, and matured, he would have better control of his body, and a stronger game. I just hope for him that he can pick up the skills in Europe to make another run at the NBA in the future.

Oh come on. Do you think that CDR told him he was ready for the NBA? Come on, be real.

BTW, CDR was no longer the coach when Zimm went to the NBA.

You are right that Rice was gone before the end of the season, but I read several articles that said he discussed leaving with the coaching staff, and I took that to mean Coach Rice since they had no real head coach at the time.

You are right that Rice was gone before the end of the season, but I read several articles that said he discussed leaving with the coaching staff, and I took that to mean Coach Rice since they had no real head coach at the time.

Nobody believes that CDR told him to go to the NBA, do they?

Honestly, you're a top 5 rated 7-foot high school center and your choice is stay at UNLV where you have serious doubts as to the programs ability to develop you, redshirt and risk injury over another 2 years or take your chances going pro. No he wasn't ready for the NBA but I still don't blame him one bit for going. Easy to sit back and make choices for the kid when you're not in his shoes.

This could also read..

He viewed UNLV as a quicker course to the NBA. It was an easier path to extended playing time vs the other schools recruiting him.

Last edited:
Reactions: bcvegaspt
Zimm was in a tough spot. I think most of us could tell that he wasn't ready to play in the NBA.

However he did get drafted. It wasn't another Chris Wood situation. He got paid.

He was also in UNLV limbo going through the most embarrassing coaching search in History. It's a risk transferring elsewhere and losing a year. He could stick around not knowing who his coach would have been.

And then there is the NBA telling you that they will draft you. Now it is a risk if you aren't a first rounder. Not nearly the commitment financially, with not very favorable contracts, so I much higher likelihood of being cut.

He can still play D league or overseas. He has talent and has skills that most bigs don't have, especially at his age.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Zimm signed a partially guaranteed contract with the Lakers yesterday. I hope it works out for him!!

I'm always following and rooting for the former players, even those who transfer out or don't make it to the big stage. Except for Whinehard...I hope he ends up cooking McNuggets.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT