ADVERTISEMENT

Armani Rogers

Gator 82

UNLV Hall of Fame
May 26, 2008
Just curious, there's been a lot of talk about the QB battle between Stanton and Palendach, but how does Armani Rogers play into this scenario when he arrives on campus? Do some of you who are more knowledgeable see him red shirting this season?

An ideal scenario would have him RS in my opinion. That would put him as the potential starter as a RS So.

For him to play his way into the conversation this season he would have to have a lights out camp. That's asking a lot considering he will be learning a new offense and adjusting to speed of the game. People will be watching all his reps though as he is followed here by some solid expectations.

Just curious, there's been a lot of talk about the QB battle between Stanton and Palendach, but how does Armani Rogers play into this scenario when he arrives on campus? Do some of you who are more knowledgeable see him red shirting this season?

X2 what Buck said. Ideal situation, red shirt this year, battle Stanton (or Palandech) for starting job next year.

From looking at him at practice, he looks like he's a true 6'5/6'6 that could play shooting guard. That means he needs a lot more meat. Wish we could have seen him throwing the ball around when practice was done. I hope he develops into another Cunningham.

I would say its more Stanton getting acclimated to the offense and teammates. For all the QB's spring was a getting used to a lot of new pieces. Boyd was out for most of spring leaving only Keys, Woods, Presley as the only Scholarship WR's. We also added in new TE's Holt, Kanteman to the mix.

Once Stanton gets more acclimated with his WR's, TE's over the summer and hones in on timing I think he will start to separate himself in the early stages of fall camp. Rogers would have to have a monster camp to jump Sneed, Palandech and Stanton, that is all I am saying. Not saying it cant/wont happen.

What I saw last year from Palandech was a QB who was feast or famine. He either led a scoring drive or 3/outs. If he generates a few more first downs against Fresno/ San Jose we might hold on in those games. He has improved but not enough I would be really excited if he won the job. Rogers will be one to watch during camp to see how prepared he is for the college game.

If Palandech is challenging Stanton, then i don't see any reason why Rogers couldn't. Palandech is one of the worst QB's i've ever seen.

Caleb Herring struggled a lot his first couple seasons. He was really good his senior year. The game slowed down for him, he played with more confidence and looked like a different player. Everything 'clicked'. Palandech was every bit as good (or bad I guess) as Herring was his red shirt freshmen and sophomore years. Palandech was essentially a red shirt sophomore last year. Decker got most of the snaps in the spring and fall. Not saying Palandech didn't struggle a lot, but it isn't all that surprising considering the circumstances.

People seem to forget that with Palandech at the helm we had 4th quarter leads against San Jose State and Fresno State that the defense couldn't hold.

Palandech looks better than last year. Stanton looked better as Spring practice went along. When QB's were 'live' and they could run all the zone read stuff Stanton looked better. Palandech's biggest issue comes when the first read in a pass play isn't there.

I wouldn't be comfortable with Palandech as the starter, but he has looked better than he did last year. Stanton was edging ahead the last two weeks of Spring. He flashed a good arm, and he really sells the zone read/option stuff. Couple times I thought Thomas or Campbell had the ball and Stanton was running for a first down.

One big issue for Stanton in the spring was the staff had him working with the 2nd unit. D. Boyd was out most of Spring so that meant much of the time Stanton was throwing to walk-ons like Brunke and Cui vs Palandech who was throwing to Keys, Woods and Pressley who worked with the 1s.

Rogers would have to play out of this world in fall to win the job. Just aren't a lot of true freshmen starters at QB at the D1 level.

Ideally he sits this years and wears the head set and learns the offense. Then he challenges Stanton next year.

Apologies if that came off A-holish not intended.

Last edited:
Stanton looked great with the 2 unit. Palandech looked good with the 1 unit. Rogers can learn a lot from both of them. Stanton has a cannon, but still retains that finesse and soft touch. Palandech might panick, but he knows how to run routes when prompted. Paladench surprised me this spring. There were plenty of times that looked more of the same. But the times where he did good, he looked really good.

Reactions: mvvsmith
I love Kurt's shiftiness and his ability to run, but I have Zero confidence in him as a primary starting QB. I just didn't see much from him as a thrower. I think Caleb looked much better as an underclassman in that regard.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
If Palandech is challenging Stanton, then i don't see any reason why Rogers couldn't. Palandech is one of the worst QB's i've ever seen.
Palandech is not the same QB we saw last season. He has improved greatly in his fundamentals, knowledge of the offense and reads. The 1st & 2nd team QBs this season should be far better than last season. No doubt in my mind.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT