ADVERTISEMENT

Armani Out

Will he keep his year of eligibility?

If a player plays in 4 or fewer games they can redshirt. Is his injury going to keep him out the rest of the year, Id think that he would be back before the seaon ends? I guess the question is if there are only a few games left and if they arent meaningful when that time comes do you play him when you could RS him. I would hope that this team has meaningful games left with 2 or 3 to play.

Will he keep his year of eligibility?

If a player plays in 4 or fewer games they can redshirt. Is his injury going to keep him out the rest of the year, Id think that he would be back before the seaon ends? I guess the question is if there are only a few games left and if they arent meaningful when that time comes do you play him when you could RS him. I would hope that this team has meaningful games left with 2 or 3 to play.

Armani redshirted as a frosh

What a bummer.

From the tone of this board the last year and a half, there's probably a few posters happy to see a change at QB. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

I am looking forward to seeing you and I watching in person the new qb. I hope he is well prepared and has been working hard. Just one quick injury away from starting. Turf toe could be the cause of Armani's footwork problems?

Who will be the backup after Gilliam? Grayson or Oblad?

I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 QBs on Saturday. I'm sure they want to redshirt Oblad, but he is the best passer.

Who will be the backup after Gilliam? Grayson or Oblad?

I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 QBs on Saturday. I'm sure they want to redshirt Oblad, but he is the best passer.
How many games/quarters can somebody play and still have a redshirt available? I thought there was a recent significant rule change on that end.

Armani redshirted as a frosh
I guess I just don't know if the new 4-game rule applies to medical redshirts, too.

Man... this has me scared. I was firmly in the ride-it-out-with-Armani train. When you have a player with an ELITE quality you have to use it. Armani is an elite running QB.

We’ll see. I hope Gilliam or Oblad can get it done. This is a huge game and we gotta rattle off some wins if we’re gonna get to 6+ wins.

Go Rebels!

Reactions: Rebel Chi-girl
Armani already used his redshirt his freshman year.

I was at both scrimmages before the season started and I really liked Gilliam. He doesn't have as big an arm as Armani but he is much better at reading defenses, looking off defenders and completing passes. I think the passing game will improve dramatically and the offense will be better because he is a threat to throw.

I watched his tape from hs and juco ball and he ran read option. He obviously isn't as good a runner as Armani but he isn't a statue either. He can move a little bit and he still will be effective in the read option game. If defenses key on Lex he can surprise people.

Oblad has a great arm but he isn't the best qb on the roster and I don't think it's close. He's not ready to play this year IMO.

Don't forget that Gilliam was also a 4* QB out of HS. He has the talent, and the next few teams playing against UNLV will not be prepared for a game that will likely include an increased passing attack.

I will miss Armani’s scrambling abilities. I will not miss his quarterbacking abilities. This could be a blessing in disguise. I am concerned about Armani and his recovery. He is a good guy. It’s next up...Play with confidence. Go Rebs... Let’s start winning some games.

I don’t think this makes our offense look a lot better, I just think we look much different. We still have an excellent running game and a defense that has show it can stop the run and get off the field in third down. Those two things should still get us to 6 wins.

Reactions: rebneck
If Gilliam can just be a competent passer, I'm saying like 57 percent passing which isn't stellar then we'll be fine. Armani was going to go down at some point this season with how much they've been running him, so it's no surprise to me. His running ability will be greatly missed, but his anemic passing has made our offense look one dimensional so far and teams with better front 7s will expose that. Gilliam was a backup at Saddleback, so his stats don't look too crazy, but his stats at Thousand oaks were insane! If he's able to replicate some of that with the receivers we have then we'll have nothing to worry about.

Max apparently had a good camp. So far this season he has looked a little shell shocked with his few snaps for us. It's not exactly fair when you are thrown out there for a play or two or for garbage time hand offs.

Interesting to see how the offense looks. I don't think it will be that different, just because I think Cotton would rather run it 80%+ of the time regardless of QB.

Judging from the highlight reel, Gilliam is a shifty runner who stays in the pocket just a liiiiiitle bit longer than AR. We shall see how that changes against a D1 pass rush. I'm thinking now's the time to amend that season prediction of 6-6.
The good news is that he will have had two weeks of practice with the 1s going into Saturday.

This feels like the football equivalent of Brandon McCoy scenario. Are you better with him, or with the next guy up?

Not sure this is a bad thing.........
It definitely is. If you play without your planned starting QB, you want it to be on your terms. I know what you're saying, but an injury to the guy who is potentially your program star (still think it's possible with adjusted play calling) isn't a good thing.

With that said, next man up... let's see what Gilliam can do!

Reactions: ricovegas
This certainly adds a little extra drama to the UNM game. Will the coaches put constraints on the plays Gilliam will call? How will Gilliam respond? Will he pass from the pocket? If he does, will the O-line protect him?

Every game is exciting but this game has an added level of uncertainty that increases my curiosity level.

This feels like the football equivalent of Brandon McCoy scenario. Are you better with him, or with the next guy up?
That's an interesting comparison. It's very different in that a lot of the conversation surrounding McCoy was effort/willingness to work on the defensive end. And there seemed to be an undertone about his attitude/heart (whether those were well founded or not is another conversation). I don't think any of us take issue with Armani's heart/leadership/effort. It's just a question of talent and ability to throw the ball to the right spot.

But you're right. Both players have a valuable skill set that makes them dangerous in certain aspects of the game. Does this one elite skill outweigh the shortcomings? Or are you better off with a more well-rounded player? We will see. I hope we take a step in the right direction (or that we at least don't step backwards)

That's an interesting comparison. It's very different in that a lot of the conversation surrounding McCoy was effort/willingness to work on the defensive end. And there seemed to be an undertone about his attitude/heart (whether those were well founded or not is another conversation). I don't think any of us take issue with Armani's heart/leadership/effort. It's just a question of talent and ability to throw the ball to the right spot.

But you're right. Both players have a valuable skill set that makes them dangerous in certain aspects of the game. Does this one elite skill outweigh the shortcomings? Or are you better off with a more well-rounded player? We will see. I hope we take a step in the right direction (or that we at least don't step backwards)

I actually think Amari has been Mis-developed by the staff. He has a lot bad habits that the staff ignores / seems to encourage, such as...

He doesn’t slide - Sanchez loves that he tries to punish the defense through violent collisions. This is not good for a an. In the long run Amari will miss multiple games every year.

He doesn’t throw it away - Amari always believes he can always run for that first down. It severely handicaps his risk/reward assessments when he sees little risk and only reward when the defense has us beat.

He doesn’t think about the clock - when we get into a two minute drill Amari is trying to run it everydown, and when he does throw, he’s not throwing for the sideline/sticks - in between plays he wastes time getting the play in.

These are things that should have been fixed last year (when we chose to developer Rogers instead of going all in with Stanton and bowl game) but weren’t.

Reactions: willlevi
kinda know this will happen before the season starts just because on how Armani plays. Unfortunately, there was not a lot of information out on the back up QB's now here we are trying to figure out what we are going to get with Max Gilliam.

I think UNLV is 0-35 in the last 20 years against other schools backup QB's making their first career starts, hopefully this week the tables are turned

Remember when UNM was out of QBs and forced to move a TE to that position? We were double digit favorites and lost

I actually think Amari has been Mis-developed by the staff. He has a lot bad habits that the staff ignores / seems to encourage, such as...

He doesn’t slide - Sanchez loves that he tries to punish the defense through violent collisions. This is not good for a an. In the long run Amari will miss multiple games every year.

He doesn’t throw it away - Amari always believes he can always run for that first down. It severely handicaps his risk/reward assessments when he sees little risk and only reward when the defense has us beat.

He doesn’t think about the clock - when we get into a two minute drill Amari is trying to run it everydown, and when he does throw, he’s not throwing for the sideline/sticks - in between plays he wastes time getting the play in.

These are things that should have been fixed last year (when we chose to developer Rogers instead of going all in with Stanton and bowl game) but weren’t.

I agree that he should slide, but I think Cotton want his QB to be another back who fight for more yards.

He has thrown it away more. Has done a few key times in the USC. Has done it less since then, probably because he usually CAN get the first own against defenses who aren't so athletic.

A agree clock management has been an issue. That comes from top down I think.

The biggest thing for me is that he doesn't go through reads and never uses his legs to extend the pass. He is so good with his legs I think it has slowed his development of going through reads.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT