ADVERTISEMENT

Aidan Robbins...

RedCannon

UNLV Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2006
Austin, TX
I was wondering how he was doing so I looked up his stats.
26 carries for 78 YDS, Avg 3.0, 0 TDs - that's for the full year so far!

If he was still here and considered in our top 3 backs - he would have double if not triple the number of touches!

Makes me think what the run game would look like if he stuck around. Well, hope it turns out good for him and wish the best.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
If I recall correctly off of the top of my head, he had a disappointing first game against Sam Houston, limited touches in the next game or two, and he's been injured for a little bit. I always liked Robbins. Hope he can bounce back and finish the season strong.

Reactions: RedCannon

If he was still here and considered in our top 3 backs - he would have double if not triple the number of touches!

Makes me think what the run game would look like if he stuck around. Well, hope it turns out good for him and wish the best.
I was thinking about this recently.

Some have stated that he should have stayed.

But, is he an upgrade to Lester?

They are about the same size, Lester has higher top end speed ( clocked at 21 mph against Reno), and he seems to run a bit more like a power back. Robbins could barrel through from time to time, but didn't do it as much as you would think for his size. Was probably shiftier than Lester, but Lester seems more effective as a battering Ram.

Lester did not look very good at the beginning of the season, but he has been our best back the past few games. And that is amongst some really good backs.

He either bruised/broke ribs in August before the season. He tried to go against Sam Houston but it wasn’t happening for him. He pretty much has been sidelined until last week. It looks like he’s finally healthy

I was thinking about this recently.

Some have stated that he should have stayed.

But, is he an upgrade to Lester?

but Lester seems more effective as a battering Ram.
I see what you did there. Well done, sir

Robbins has been hurt. Back injury. Success will be hard for him to find the rest of this season given their schedule and that defenses do not fear Slovis. BYU will play from behind from here on out.

I do not believe Robbins would have been a great fit for our Go-Go offense, so best he moved on. Proof is in the pudding as we are top 20 in rushing. Lester and Davis are better options in this set up.

If I recall correctly off of the top of my head, he had a disappointing first game against Sam Houston, limited touches in the next game or two, and he's been injured for a little bit. I always liked Robbins. Hope he can bounce back and finish the season strong.
Never should have went to bypuke. That’s worse than leaving for reno.

Some BYU fans on twitter were excited about getting him in the preseason. While I wished the young man well, I told them that Aidan looks the part but doesn't play like it. That he's easy to bring down.

During the CSU game I mentioned to my brother, UNLV's backs even the smaller guys like Jet and Reese all finish runs and are pretty physical.

Robbins was a big dude but I never felt like he finished runs like you'd expect a guy his size could or would.

Not saying he was soft. Just not as physical of a runner as you would think he would be.

The way both Davis and Lester practically murdered those 2 CSU defenders and sent their helmets into orbit was something I don't think I've seen a UNLV back do like , ever. Lester's trucking was probably one of the most violent RB collissions I ever seen.

The way both Davis and Lester practically murdered those 2 CSU defenders and sent their helmets into orbit was something I don't think I've seen a UNLV back do like , ever. Lester's trucking was probably one of the most violent RB collissions I ever seen.
You are forgetting Frank the tank” Summers and him running roughshod over the Utah Utes!

You are forgetting Frank the tank” Summers and him running roughshod over the Utah Utes!
That was awesome. I cannot remember anything like that these last few years but I remember that play by The Tank. Anyone still have that play against Vandy where Lester and the Rebs carried a whole pile toward the. end zone? Someone posted as "this is the best play of the game". Man, that helmet off the opposing player...that dude must have seeing stars.

I would point you to UNLV vs Utah in what many refer to as the Frank Summers game.

He had a couple of runs like that and by the middle 3rd early 4th quarter Ute defenders wanted nothing to do with him.

But yeah it's been awhile since we had a physical runner like that.

I would point you to UNLV vs Utah in what many refer to as the Frank Summers game.

He had a couple of runs like that and by the middle 3rd early 4th quarter Ute defenders wanted nothing to do with him.

A hard helmet to the sternum can impact the brain.

A hard helmet to the sternum can impact the brain.

I know the run you might be referring to..

Frank was a monster. My biggest gripe with Sanford was how quickly he would abandon the run game at times. (Some of that might have been on Summers, heard he wasn't always the most motivated dude. Not saying that was the case).

Same thing when Rebs upset ASU. Everybody remembers the Philip Payne catches but Frank absolutely set the tone in that game.

Reactions: j. spilotro
During the CSU game I mentioned to my brother, UNLV's backs even the smaller guys like Jet and Reese all finish runs and are pretty physical.

Robbins was a big dude but I never felt like he finished runs like you'd expect a guy his size could or would.

Not saying he was soft. Just not as physical of a runner as you would think he would be.
Part of my conversation on Twitter was that Aidan looks the part of the 4-star that went to P5 out of high school, he just plays at the level of UNLV.

You're right about finishing runs. Second effort is the difference in so many first downs versus punting situations this season.

OK yeah I remember that one. Good call.

I know the run you might be referring to..

Frank was a monster. My biggest gripe with Sanford was how quickly he would abandon the run game at times. (Some of that might have been on Summers, heard he wasn't always the most motivated dude. Not saying that was the case).

Same thing when Rebs upset ASU. Everybody remembers the Philip Payne catches but Frank absolutely set the tone in that game.
What I remember in that Utah game was you could see it in the Utes body language. They wanted the play to go to anybody but Frank. He was running so hard and heavy that game, delivering he blows instead of taking them. He just deflated their ego.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT