ADVERTISEMENT

4-Star Visit

lobbybuu

Retired Number
Dec 29, 2022
A 4-Star recruit just told me that he will be visiting soon. The dates are still being sorted out with CKK. This is a big deal because DJ specifically said that he wants to play with this recruit so the staff is putting a lot of effort into this.

What position does he play. We need help at all positions.

I, too, am highly displeased with this development. Lobbyu, I implore you to provide more positive news on our recruiting front.
I'd love to but this is getting too crazy. I like providing news but its gotten to a point where I can't give too much because even when I give a little, people run with it.

Some people are twisting my words and saying that I said this or that and then it spreads. Some people do their own sleuthing and then assume they're right and then tell other people that I told them x, y, and z when I didn't. For example, a few people claimed that I said Jazz Gardner committed to us and spread that. Someone from Gardner's camp even reached out to me about the "rumor."

People are constantly badgering me on Twitter too. There are about 7-8 people that message me every day, multiple times a day begging for information. Then when I dont reply, they go on and tell people that I hate them and that I'm not actually a Rebel fan. I've gotten screenshots of these messages.

I know this isnt every fan, but there are a lot of strange people that are making this not fun anymore.

I'd love to but this is getting too crazy. I like providing news but its gotten to a point where I can't give too much because even when I give a little, people run with it.

Some people are twisting my words and saying that I said this or that and then it spreads. Some people do their own sleuthing and then assume they're right and then tell other people that I told them x, y, and z when I didn't. For example, a few people claimed that I said Jazz Gardner committed to us and spread that. Someone from Gardner's camp even reached out to me about the "rumor."

People are constantly badgering me on Twitter too. There are about 7-8 people that message me every day, multiple times a day begging for information. Then when I dont reply, they go on and tell people that I hate them and that I'm not actually a Rebel fan. I've gotten screenshots of these messages.

I know this isnt every fan, but there are a lot of strange people that are making this not fun anymore.
Nut jobs...
First, whats the point in badgering someone via Dms for information they arent going to share. Its not like you've hidden facts or waited till it was all but announced by the program, so asking for specifics that aren't publicly available so they can go spread it around twitter seems like a worthless endeavor. "wanna be" insiders turning a good thing into a chore and making it so people dont want to share information sucks...

Thank you for all of your efforts. Sorry that you have to go through with this stuff. Provide what you can without jeopardizing your job or your contact or your ethics.

Love it! Reality we probably won’t get him the first time around. It will be the 4 stars that transfer out down the road where these visits will pay off.

Reactions: OleRebel03

Put out fake tweets..

Ahh I was just messing with you. I have zero problem waiting for news.

Ultimately all insiders face the issue of dealing with needy fans and people who take information and run with it...my belief is that it's best just to block out all the noise and provide what you are comfortable with providing. If that means less frequent posts and less detailed information at times, people will have to deal. I'm sorry you have to deal with this stuff, especially morons on Twitter who want to use your information for clout and clicks. Maybe you could start your own website and subscription service? 🤷‍♂️That way you can control your own environment and get paid yourself.

Even if he did, inevitably someone would for clout or interactions go out and start running around with info. Get enough Rebel fans following you and some people live and die on your tweets about the program... all of a sudden you think you're more valuable to the program than you are and you start talking like you're in the know and you know the saying "loose lips sink ships"...
It sucks because we all want good solid information, helps feel connected to the process or creates hope, just some people it seems that's all they got going for them so they're just spraying info like Florida did shots and hoping something sticks so they can increase their interactions

Reactions: lobbybuu

Moving to twitter is always a double edged sword. Most of us here at rebel-net are old heads at this point. We have been around the board long enough to know if you pressure the insiders too much you end up with gone insiders. Twitter lets you spread your message and hype, but also opens you up to a lot of the nutjobs that were basically ostracized from here for being nutjobs.

Unfortunately, we're all UNLV nerds so if you give us a few hints we're going to try and figure out the nugget underneath, and some people don't need much evidence to take that ball and run with it. I'm guilty of it, but I don't talk to anyone about UNLV athletics not here. I will say you have got me looking at twitter a lot more than I have in the past!

Try to remember that you went to twitter to help hype the program up, and that includes providing the occasional nugget of inside info to get people to follow and interact, however, that also means you get idiots acting like idiots. You don't owe anyone anything, and I'd be super bummed if you burnt yourself out based on twitter, but you do what's best for you. I would say if you are going to continue on twitter you need to just block out that nonsense. You provide the information you want and reply to the posts and DMs you want, and if people don't understand that just ignore or block them.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do, but you'll always be welcome here even if you stop 'insiding'

Sorry to hear the blowback lobby.

UNfortunately, people suck. Try not to sweat it when people guess from your clues and run with it as if that is exactly what you said. The good news is that you are on the record and what you actually said is public and easy for anyone to see.

Rebel Net is notorious for over reacting to everything. Remeber how all of a sudden we weren't going to get DJ because our staff did not attend ONE of his HS games. After being there his entire HS season and him just having a long weekend visit the SAME WEEK. SMH.

Do I even need to say "quack, quack!?!?"

We will speculate openly then one's person's guess gets momentum and becomes the new truth.

As for the DM's, I would pin a tweet or mention in your bio that you will only share what is safe publically and you will not respond to DM's. If people get butt hurt, then it is their problem.

I've been to Reno close to a hundred times. It is poop, and it was poop the first time I stepped off a plane in that hell hole.

• Haha
Reactions: LVRebel2000
I've been to Reno close to a hundred times. It is poop, and it was poop the first time I stepped off a plane in that hell hole.
My oldest grand daughter was offered a full ride to RENO. I told her if she accepted the offer from Meth Head High she was out of the will. I'm very proud that she accepted UNLV's scholarship to the Honor's College. Class of 2027!

I was guessing and hoping the player UNLV was signing was Jazz, specially if he was in Reno's final four list, but now im hoping it is Babacar or Maker. I have also seen on twitter that UNLV is still in limbo about its front court so a guessing nothing is written in stone yet.

I was guessing and hoping the player UNLV was signing was Jazz, specially if he was in Reno's final four list, but now im hoping it is Babacar or Maker. I have also seen on twitter that UNLV is still in limbo about its front court so a guessing nothing is written in stone yet.
I hope this is the case because I would like to see a True C next to Boone in the front court. That would be something to see, Boone next to a 7 footer!

I hope this is the case because I would like to see a True C next to Boone in the front court. That would be something to see, Boone next to a 7 footer!
Give it up dude.

We have a proven Big 12 level center in Boone. There are about 5 quality 7 footers in college that are worth starting over who we might have next season. We aren't getting them. We would get a Will Baker player at best. He was garbaaaage. We was also a 5 Star.

Sure bring in a guy with potential to give us depth and some quality minutes off the bench to build off moving forward. Our starting 5 is already on the team.

Don't worry. Post play will be light years improved next season. I think Kalib is first team MW all the way. Plus we have a few others that can score in the post.

Worth noting, but in the images and videos from offseason practices the team has been releasing Karl Jones looks every bit like the large 250lb 6-10 Center we've been waiting for...

I think Jones could be much more effective with a scoring threat next to him, and if he isn't asked to switch every screen on defense. Do i think he is getting 10 min a game? Probably not. But I can see him fitting in much better than last year.

Give it up dude.

We have a proven Big 12 level center in Boone. There are about 5 quality 7 footers in college that are worth starting over who we might have next season. We aren't getting them. We would get a Will Baker player at best. He was garbaaaage. We was also a 5 Star.

Sure bring in a guy with potential to give us depth and some quality minutes off the bench to build off moving forward. Our starting 5 is already on the team.

Don't worry. Post play will be light years improved next season. I think Kalib is first team MW all the way. Plus we have a few others that can score in the post.
I disagree completely, Boone is a 4 not a 5!
SJSU and UVU both had the type of C I’m talking about.
I never said we need Kareem or Ewing, so your argument has no weight to me!
Just because he has played out of position for Oklahoma State and now us does not change my opinion. He is maybe 215-220 that screams 4. What happens this year is still up in the air and hopefully they bring in a 6’11 to 7 foot guy for front court help!

Worth noting, but in the images and videos from offseason practices the team has been releasing Karl Jones looks every bit like the large 250lb 6-10 Center we've been waiting for...
He looked like that last season. Still is not the answer beyond practice player. Silvercannon LOOKED like Porzingis/Jokic….doesn’t mean he played like them!

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Well that makes a ton of sense. Best of luck to the lad. Seems like a nice kid but I’m sure our guys will give him the appropriate welcome at the T&M.
Our front court is a HUGE question mark.

This is where I would like to have seen Hall stick it out..

I disagree completely, Boone is a 4 not a 5!
SJSU and UVU both had the type of C I’m talking about.
I never said we need Kareem or Ewing, so your argument has no weight to me!
Just because he has played out of position for Oklahoma State and now us does not change my opinion. He is maybe 215-220 that screams 4. What happens this year is still up in the air and hopefully they bring in a 6’11 to 7 foot guy for front court help!
It's not 1995 anymore.

True centers are a dying breed. Especially in college basketball. Kalib is going to do JUST FINE in the MW next season.

I agree, his body type is slight, but he has fared pretty decent much in the best league in the country. He will not be facing the same type of dudes in this league.

My point is that there are very few good college big men that will fit in with this team and be able to play the way this staff wants to play. We aren't getting anyone as good a Muoka likely, and I'm not sure if Muoka would start for us next season. We are playing small(ish) and athletic. We also have some more heft and bangers with Hill and Whaley that aren't going to be pushed around.

If you are expecting to find a starting level big in the 13th hour, then try not to get too disappointed.

Kalib Boone will be the no. 1 shot blocker in the MWC for the 2023-24 season. Also, he will go 15 ppg and 8 rpg in the MWC. From his bio:

"Boone started 30 of 36 games for the Cowboys last season, finishing third on the team in scoring with an average of 10.6 points per game and earning third team All-Big 12 honors. He also contributed 4.9 rebounds per game and shot 58.4% from the field and 75.7% on free throws. He averaged 21.3 minutes played per contest.

He scored in double figures in 17 games last season, including a career-high 27 points against No. 4 Kansas in February. He has been named Big 12 Player of the Week twice, most recently in February after averaging 21.5 ppg and 5.0 rpg (25 points in a win over No. 15 TCU and 18 points in a victory at Oklahoma).

As a junior in 2021-22, he saw action in 26 games while fighting through early season injuries, but prior to that he set the program's single-season field-goal percentage record by making 64.2 percent of his shots as a sophomore in 2020-21. He also blocked 49 shots that season, leading the Big 12 and ranking 32nd nationally."

Last edited:
It's not 1995 anymore.

True centers are a dying breed. Especially in college basketball. Kalib is going to do JUST FINE in the MW next season.

I agree, his body type is slight, but he has fared pretty decent much in the best league in the country. He will not be facing the same type of dudes in this league.

My point is that there are very few good college big men that will fit in with this team and be able to play the way this staff wants to play. We aren't getting anyone as good a Muoka likely, and I'm not sure if Muoka would start for us next season. We are playing small(ish) and athletic. We also have some more heft and bangers with Hill and Whaley that aren't going to be pushed around.

If you are expecting to find a starting level big in the 13th hour, then try not to get too disappointed.
Your opinion, give up dude!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT