ADVERTISEMENT

MWC football games

So far it is looking average for the MWC during the first 2 weeks of the season:

Colorado St. is down 31-0 near the end of the first half to Texas with offense totals of 66 yards for CSU and 309 yards for Texas.

Air Force 14-0 end of first half to Merrimack

Boise State 14-9 Georgia Southern early second quarter

Last Week:

New Mexico 31-35 Montana Not Good

unr 24-29 SMU total offense 408 SMU 298 unr - It took SMU the first half to wake up down 17-0 then they should down unr.

Hawaii 35-14 Delaware State

SSJU 42-24 Sacramento State 17-14 Sacramento then SJSU woke up

Official Game Thread UNLV at Houston

I think it had a lot more to do with the personal problems of Coach Robinson. His wife ended up with a cancer diagnosis going into the 2001 season, and it became very obvious his heart wasn't into coaching anymore. UNLV also made him the AD in 2001 prior to the start of the season which combined with coaching and his wife's cancer issues just overwhelmed him, and we never did see him get back to the 2000 peak of his coaching at UNLV.
The schedule was stacked that year after the heartbreak in Little Rock they lost at home to ranked Northwestern, on the road to UofA and at home to ranked byu by 4. The wheels just kind of fell off after an 0-4 start against good teams

This does feel very similar to 2001 to me. I recall UNLV won something like the last 4 games of the season and became bowl eligible in 2000. And we thrashed Arkansas in the LV bowl. Alot of returners coming back, most notably Jason Thomas and his silly Heisman talk followed. But fans were into it, the 2001 opener was at Arkansas. Oh, it was going to be a tough game for sure. I think UNLV was outside the top 25, getting some votes, but a small dog at Arkansas. UNLV was in the drivers seat until McDonald dropped the punt late in the 4th. And the season unravelled from there. I set up a get together at a PTs near my old home - 10 dollar buy in got you two drinks, specials on Rebel specific drinks, and a buffet type of set up for everyone with the 10 dollar wrist band. Finger food type of stuff. They cordoned off the section with the couches and biggest screen for Rebel fans. I guaranteed the manager 100 fans for that price and we got a little bit over that. It was a good deal and we had a lot of fun, until the end.

But that season unraveled because JTs shoulder was shot and he was pretty rough all season long. It wasn't like the first game of the season caused a season long failure ... so while this game is huge and feels the same, I think this team has more going for it, win or lose, but I sure as hell would love a win.
I think it had a lot more to do with the personal problems of Coach Robinson. His wife ended up with a cancer diagnosis going into the 2001 season, and it became very obvious his heart wasn't into coaching anymore. UNLV also made him the AD in 2001 prior to the start of the season which combined with coaching and his wife's cancer issues just overwhelmed him, and we never did see him get back to the 2000 peak of his coaching at UNLV.

This does feel very similar to 2001 to me. I recall UNLV won something like the last 4 games of the season and became bowl eligible in 2000. And we thrashed Arkansas in the LV bowl. Alot of returners coming back, most notably Jason Thomas and his silly Heisman talk followed. But fans were into it, the 2001 opener was at Arkansas. Oh, it was going to be a tough game for sure. I think UNLV was outside the top 25, getting some votes, but a small dog at Arkansas. UNLV was in the drivers seat until McDonald dropped the punt late in the 4th. And the season unravelled from there. I set up a get together at a PTs near my old home - 10 dollar buy in got you two drinks, specials on Rebel specific drinks, and a buffet type of set up for everyone with the 10 dollar wrist band. Finger food type of stuff. They cordoned off the section with the couches and biggest screen for Rebel fans. I guaranteed the manager 100 fans for that price and we got a little bit over that. It was a good deal and we had a lot of fun, until the end.

But that season unraveled because JTs shoulder was shot and he was pretty rough all season long. It wasn't like the first game of the season caused a season long failure ... so while this game is huge and feels the same, I think this team has more going for it, win or lose, but I sure as hell would love a win.
This a big game due to our front loaded schedule. Need to win today badly in order to get some momentum going into tough stretch that will be games 3 through 8. This game will set the tone for the year.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT