ADVERTISEMENT

SDSU is leaving!

This came out today. And I know we can have some great debates on this board when we are respectful... Again curious if anybody has seen this article and has feedback? Apparently SDSU overplayed their hand or was overzealous in some way in there and negotiations. And now litigation has begun. Here's the link to the article: 6 million for the final four maybe nullify for SDSU
Read the article... The league accepted their resignation and rejected the fee change. SDSU found out there wasn't an offer for them and don't have the cash to pay to leave. They're stuck eating crow and it's hilarious to watch play out.. personally feelings- the lawyers force conference to pay them their tv fee $, the conference in turn terminates the relationship at end of 2024 seasons, making SDSU conference-less and settles for some payout of withdraw fee.. SDSU gets Fd over by over playing their importance in college sports landscape as the P5 invite doesn't materialize, we all laugh, their programs decline due to conference affiliation...

Pretty Simple really, the MWC accepted their 1st letter for exactly what it said it was “their formal notice of withdrawal from the MWC”. Now that their hand was called and they were found to have a a pair of 3’s and the PAC12 has folded they want a redeal. Sorry but you lost and now will pay a price somewhere to to mitigate the damage done. I hope we all learned from 2011.

Last edited:
A field day for lawyers. That initial letter sdsu sent to the mwc sure made it sound like they were leaving the conference. The people who signed off on that letter were very very sloppy in their language.

Dear MWC, we are weighing our options and we’re wondering if we could get a one month extension blah blah blah.

Anyway, this fiasco will be fun to follow🙂

We need to think up of some clever signage for when we play them.
A field day for lawyers. That initial letter sdsu sent to the mwc sure made it sound like they were leaving the conference. The people who signed off on that letter were very very sloppy in their language.

Dear MWC, we are weighing our options and we’re wondering if we could get a one month extension blah blah blah.

Anyway, this fiasco will be fun to follow🙂
Just glad it isn't us for once.

So basically, we won’t play them this year?

Cool..f’n sucks being their b*tch.

So basically, we won’t play them this year?

Cool..f’n sucks being their b*tch.
It is good to keep a good program around. The payout is great and the competition is good...if UNLV beat them this year, it is good too. The conference reallllyyyyy good this year. It will be better than the AAC and the on par with the PAC. New Mexico is going to be crazy good. Tim Miles SJSU team will be good perennially in the conference. Great coach. A bunch of good teams after that, including UNLV...4 or 5 should be dancing this year.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Will Kev break the streak and give them a nice send off?

One can only hope….

I’m buying season tix for women’s. I can afford those.

Men’s..it will depend on who Kev schedules. I’ll buy upper seats and sneak downstairs and sit with the opposing fans behind their bench.

No this year everything is the same no matter what. As it stands now they leave next June 30th unless we all make nice and wait for their next announcement to leave.
It will all work out for SDSU. They will get into the Pac-12 in 2024. The real question is which schools will be left in the Pac-12. I read this article "https://www.sportskeeda.com/college...update-rumors-surrounding-deal-expansion-news"
which basically has a Washington based media consultant saying that the media rights deal will mostly focus on their "Pac 12 Network" where if you want to watch live games you will have to buy a subscription. WTF.

If that guy is right and in that article he states that more than likely Arizona and Colorado will be gone. Again, if that guy is right things are about to get ugly in the Pac12.

It will all work out for SDSU. They will get into the Pac-12 in 2024. The real question is which schools will be left in the Pac-12. I read this article "https://www.sportskeeda.com/college...update-rumors-surrounding-deal-expansion-news"
which basically has a Washington based media consultant saying that the media rights deal will mostly focus on their "Pac 12 Network" where if you want to watch live games you will have to buy a subscription. WTF.

If that guy is right and in that article he states that more than likely Arizona and Colorado will be gone. Again, if that guy is right things are about to get ugly in the Pac12.
That is not good. That is unstable. That is nickel and dimming from people. Flea market shirt....That is not a good contract. You need guaranteed stuffs.

If Arizona and Colorado leave that conference will be on the verge of dissolution. At that point it would be a risky move to put all your eggs in the PAC basket.

If Arizona and Colorado leave that conference will be on the verge of dissolution. At that point it would be a risky move to put all your eggs in the PAC basket.
The one thing I'm thinking is that the MWC might benefit from all of this with more open time slots in the linear TV market. Some have said that losing SDSU will force the MWC media contract to be renegotiated and it probably will. But, will that actually help or hurt us. With SDSU and the Pac12 out of the linear TV market I can't see us lose money. We may actually gain from this. More money and more linear TV exposure for the conference.

This came out today. And I know we can have some great debates on this board when we are respectful... Again curious if anybody has seen this article and has feedback? Apparently SDSU overplayed their hand or was overzealous in some way in negotiations. And now litigation has begun. Here's the link to the article: 6 million for the final four maybe nullify for SDSU
Surprised the conference is taking a hard line stance but suspect it is for negotiation purposes over the assumed exit next year. Glad to see they have some backbone.

Internet is the way to go.

. Real people either kept their cable/directv or cut it. It’s about 75 bucks a month for you to have your tv on listening to the same shit.

If you’re in the rat hole, you made drastic cuts somewhere.

Those who talk about tv rights..you’re plugged in.

Nobody in town watches t UNLV sports except us old timers.

In the long run, UNLV is f*cked. We’ve been left behind long long time ago.

Go to any bar..is the UNLV game on? You’re gonna get laughed at.

Broadcasting from your internet to your home is the way to go.

All of your post is mostly true Scrub.

Thats why its up to UNLVs President, UNLVs AD and UNLVs coaches to change the mind set of UNLV Alumni and its current student base.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
39369.jpg

This image tells you all you need to know about how UNLV (and UNR) feels about collegiate sports. I mean on one hand you can say 'Oh wow, Nevada is doing something right.', but the reality is that UNLV graduates and the city of Las Vegas just dont care about the school.

No pride in the degree or being Alumni. It pisses me off.

Reactions: the Florian Trout
People still pulling stuff out of their ass. We get mentioned again. Why don't these guys just wait to see what happens with the media rights. That news should be out soon enough.

Because SI wrote something similar... It's funny they're saying "don't meet standards of the conference" like SDSU meets their academic standards... and athletic performance? Wazzu and OSU are typically just as bad outside a few years here and there...
personal thoughts and maybe more realistic is as a program we're not actively pursuing moving to the Pac 12 as a viable conference. They had their chance to bring UNLV into their conversations early and didn't and now that it looks like a disappointing TV negotiation is happening, it might not be in our best interest to jump where as joining an expanding Big 12 might be

If Colorado and Arizona leaves and it stays there, then it is not a bad move.

It really depends on how much the Big 12 wants to expand. Personally, I don't think they want to expand that much. Grabbing back CU and adding Arizona gets them in the time zones and grabs the best bball school in the conference.

Sure UNLV has been talking to the Big 12 for years now, and we haven't even made their top 4 when it came to G5 schools, if they have their pick of the PAC 12 schools then we drop down even further. Honestly, I am not sure how much they would really want SDSU. I'm guessing not that much.

Even if the PAC does implode soon after SDSU joins, then it is not that big of a deal. They will find a place to land and made a few extra bucks in the meantime. Like I said, I would guess that the PAC would hand pick the best of the MW and it will be the MW that is screwed like the WAC was a few years back after we all left.

As for this "you resigned", "No you didn't" stuff does feel a little childish on both sides.

Some noise but overall it's been fairly quiet in the Pac12 world of media rights. One other note of interest which didn't get a ton of publicity was that the ACC signed a linear TV contract with CW. That is one that the Pac-12 had early interest in. Pac-12 must be demanding a lot of money as there doesn't seem to be a lot of traction. But, I'm thinking they are going to have a teeny tiny foot print in the linear TV market.

Regarding SDSU Monday should give us some clarity as to where their "near" future lies. The MWC will meet to decide their fate.

Here’s my prediction in two years. The PAC 12 will consist of WSU, OSU and 10 current MWC schools. Hawaii will be football only. Gonzaga will be basketball only. The rest will be UNLV, SDSU, Fresno, CSU, Air Force, UNM, Boise, USU and UNM. No Reno.

Last edited:
Just one other observation to share. Whats’s up with the PAC 12 closing down its decades long conference headquarters in San Francisco and moving it to an east bay shopping center to have a physical address and mostly working remote? Interesting

Here’s my prediction in two years. The PAC 12 will consist of WSU, OSU and 10 current MWC schools. Hawaii will be football only. Gonzaga will be basketball only. The rest will be UNLV, SDSU, Fresno, CSU, Air Force, UNM, Boise, USU and UNM. No Reno.
The name of the league won’t matter, it’s whether the league matters or not. The league you mention won’t matter, sadly.

I do think what you’re mentioning is a distinct possibility.

They’re trying to cut the fat. Less mouths to feed at the table.

It’s going the be NBA/CBA.

Just one other observation to share. Whats’s up with the PAC 12 closing down its decades long conference headquarters in San Francisco and moving it to an east bay shopping center to have a physical address and mostly working remote? Interesting

I have no idea where the office was but maybe it became unsafe and working remotely is better? (Less overhead, too)

The name of the league won’t matter, it’s whether the league matters or not. The league you mention won’t matter, sadly.

Here’s an interesting twist. What happens when a university has a multi Billionaire like T Boone Pickens with extremely deep pockets and the willingness to spend it. At one point he donated $167 mill to Oklahoma States athletic department and I think he has given more since. His NIL contribution could be HUGE!

Right now it appears the all ncaa is just trying do is to hold the association together so they continue to get paid.

Reactions: j. spilotro

IMO the best a conference like that could hope for is an auto bid to the expanded football playoffs.

Reactions: j. spilotro
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT