ADVERTISEMENT

Conference tournament seeding

VegasKC SDM

Lottery Pick
Jan 16, 2006
From what I am gathering:
-If we beat Reno, we are a 2 seed unless Utah St loses both remaining games, then we would be the 1 seed.
-If we lose to Reno and SDSU beats Boise, we slip into a 3-way tie for 3rd. Reading the tiebreaker rules for 3 teams it goes into collective record within the tied group. In that case we are 2-1, SDSU 2-2 and Boise 1-2. We have the advantage and get the 3 seed.
-If Boise wins at SDSU and we lose to Nevada, it is likely we get the 4 seed and end up in a brutal 4/5 quarterfinal matchup with SDSU. New Mexico has an outside shot to get the 5 seed.

Reactions: rebelwithacause
Are you looking for favorable matchups ? good seeding will advance us further type thinking?

I thought about that for a minute and concluded....

So whatever scenario we come up with- we are going to have to face a couple tough teams in the tourny - their is no easy road - the confernce is solid AF

personally I don't care who we play -

This team: the HUGE opponent they have is themselves : that is their battle - we can beat anyone if we play up to our potential

I mean that - "anyone in the country"

Are you looking for favorable matchups ? good seeding will advance us further type thinking?

So whatever scenario we come up with- we are going to have to face a couple tough teams in the tourny - their is no easy road - the confernce is solid AF

This team: the HUGE opponent they have is themselves : that is their battle - we can beat anyone if we play up to our potential

One part favorable match-ups because even though this is settled in 3 days, it is still a mini-marathon. It is likely the only way we dance is to win the thing. We don't have incredible depth and are a little banged up as it is. I get the "us against the world" mentality, but the better match-ups will help us play better late in the tournament and increase odds we achieve our objective.

The other part is to play the later games (like the 2 and 3 seeds get). I want to see Rebels fans turn up. That just hasn't been the case on Thursday afternoon in the past. Selfishly, I can only make Thursday evening (due to work, like many) and already have my tickets. The 2 seed would great!

Last edited:
One part favorable match-ups because even though this is settled in 3 days, it is still a mini-marathon. It is likely the only way we dance is to win the thing. We don't have incredible depth and are a little banged up as it is. I get the "us against the world" mentality, but the better match-ups will help us play better late in the tournament and increase odds we achieve our objective.

The other part is to play the later games (like the 2 and 3 seeds get). I want to see Rebels fans turn up. That just hasn't been the case on Thursday afternoon in the past. Selfishly, I can only make Thursday evening (due to work, like many) and already have my tickets. The 2 seed would great!
The later evening games are much more advantageous for us. Getting a decent crowd can make a huge difference. Id also prefer not to have to go SDSU>>>>USU>>>>then say UNM or Boise.. Thatd be a brutal run. Even as the 2 seed its not much better, but the likelihood of facing SDSU or USU in the final is much more favorable to me. If all else fails, Id like to avoid the mid afternoon game times... and SDSU in the first round

The later evening games are much more advantageous for us. Getting a decent crowd can make a huge difference. Id also prefer not to have to go SDSU>>>>USU>>>>then say UNM or Boise.. Thatd be a brutal run. Even as the 2 seed its not much better, but the likelihood of facing SDSU or USU in the final is much more favorable to me. If all else fails, Id like to avoid the mid afternoon game times... and SDSU in the first round
Even if UNLV played SDSU again in an early round and won, they would be worn out going into the next game. Much better either not to meet them, or in the finals of the MWC.

Even if UNLV played SDSU again in an early round and won, they would be worn out going into the next game. Much better either not to meet them, or in the finals of the MWC.
The monkey may be a bit off our back for beating SDSU. But that games is so grueling, playing them and then having to play another tough game the next night would be brutal.
Definitely want to avoid them completely, MW champ game would at least allow us to leave it all on the floor, but will we have the gas?

The monkey may be a bit off our back for beating SDSU. But that games is so grueling, playing them and then having to play another tough game the next night would be brutal.
Definitely want to avoid them completely, MW champ game would at least allow us to leave it all on the floor, but will we have the gas?
Weve lost 22 of 25 to them.. Until we put together a run of 2 or 3 years where we dont lose to them, Id very much consider wins to be outliers rather than toss ups.

Weve lost 22 of 25 to them.. Until we put together a run of 2 or 3 years where we dont lose to them, Id very much consider wins to be outliers rather than toss ups.
Fair enough, and I agree. But they have had our number so bad, playing a game like last night where we led the whole time, was something we hadn't done in a long time.
We basically out SDSU'd them defensively, at least in the first half. And this is one of the better offensive teams that SDSU has had as well.
To me, and I said it before the game, I needed to see us win to believe that we could get a Dub against them.
I still don't want them in the Tourney, but for the first time in a while, I don't think they want us either.

Somewhere along the way coach Kruger is slowly learning how to become a coach! The future looks a lot brighter since the passing of that dark winter day of January 23, 2024
Daniel Radcliffe GIF by Dark Ages

I really want a rematch with USU. If it is in the championship game, great. I want us to beat SDSU team once more time or make them works for that championship trophy that they seems to win every year. DJ Thomas good friend Compton committed to SDSU, I would like to see he changed his mind or face humiliation next year.
Strike when the iron is hot and the iron is hot now. The team and the staff are humming right now. IMO, Kelan shooting is critical going forward in the next few weeks. Kalib, DJ, LuRod and Rob Whaley need to keep on improving.

Last edited:
Reactions: LVRebel2000
I really want a rematch with USU. If it is in the championship game, great. I want us to beat SDSU team once more time or make them works for that championship trophy that they seems to win every year. DJ Thomas good friend Compton committed to SDSU, I would like to see he changed his mind or face humiliation next year.
Strike when the iron is hot and the iron is hot now. The team and the staff are humming right now. IMO, Kelan shooting is critical going forward in the next few weeks. Kalib, DJ, LuRod and Rob Whaley need to keep on improving.
Would be great to beat UNM, SDSU and USU in the tournament to capture it all.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Ideally USU and SDSU are in the same bracket and have to play each other in the semi with UNLV in the other bracket. Much prefer to face only one of them than have to beat both on consecutive nights. I as well want that rematch with USU. I think we take them to the woodshed if we get a rematch.

Reactions: VegasKC SDM
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT