ADVERTISEMENT

OT: UNLV women’s volleyball

Rebels sweep Coppin State tonight. Coppin comes in at 8-1 and exits at 8-2. Service errors continue to be a problem for us. I believe we had 15 service errors. Bad but not our worst. We won't go far this season if we don't clean that up. One set Coppin started the set with 5 points. Four of those 5 were because we had service errors.

Starting setter needs to work on being consistent in her setting the ball. Too often the sets are low and seems to cause problems for our hitters imo. Second team setter is more consistent with setting the ball high and the results are much better. She does need to clean up on some serves. Aggressive is good but quality is more important imo.

Substitutions have been made in the backcourt and we have shown improvement.

Quality serves and consistent ball settings will take us far. If we can clean those up it will improve our game.

Rebels play the next two nights. Go Rebels.

Last edited:
This year, the conference looks improved, compared to last year.
Shockingly, Wyoming is 11-0! They haven't played anybody except @ Texas Tech, but still a great record.
Colorado St looks good too, they upset #9 Kentucky at home and played ranked Stanford and Baylor to losses.
They, will be tough to beat in Colorado.
Utah St is good again. They played a good schedule.

Last edited:
I'm guessing you dont have Basketball season tix? If you did, you would have an All-Sports pass. Thats essentially season tickets for EVERY UNLV sport except Mens BBall and Football.
Yeah, I went at exactly 3:30. Greeted by a young lady, says that I had to renew by June 30th.

Went to go pay by cash since I didn’t have enough for debit and their system is down..

Now I gotta pay 10 bucks to watch volleyball. What a freakin’ joke. Guess I should have renewed.

It's been 5 years, I think, since we last played Portland. We had Mariana Hayden back then. Thee most powerful server we've ever had. I'll never forget, we were at Portland, and their analyst on the sideline was talking about Hayden based on what she heard about her. Hayden was up for the first serve of the match. The analyst said in reference to what she had heard about Hayden's powerful serves "Let's see what this is all about". Hayden fires a powerful ATACMS missile with such precision for our first point of the match. The analyst's response "OH WOW, Yeah". She clearly understood what Hayden was all about. We beat Portland that night.

We beat Portland tonight 3-1.

First set was Magnificent. We were just about perfect. Second Set we were pure ass. Service errors started to come back to haunt us. Third set they brought Jenna Howard, setter, off the bench. Kudos, Kudos, Kudos to Jenna Howard. We were down and she went on a serving highlight. We picked up 10 points. Her settings were perfect. We all owe her one for that third set performance. Forth set we were down and battled to come back. Again they brought Jenna Howard in and her sets were perfect. Huge night for Jenna Howard a Wazzu transfer that sat out last year.

Go Rebels!

Last edited:
Conference opener vs SDSU. UNLV wins 3-2.

What an up and down game. SDSU take sets 1 and 2. Rebels looked like ass. Maybe nerves but the effort was poor. The 3rd set Rebels woke up and effort took over. Then we go to the 4th set and effort again carried us forward. The 5th set was going to be decided with who wanted it more and who made less errors. I think SDSU let their nerves get the best of them as they seemed to make the most mistakes in that 5th set.

Rebels were lucky tonight. 16 service errors would normally cost you a match. Some how some way we need to clean those up. The hero tonight for the Rebels was Isabel Martin with 21 kills. She really woke up in that third set. In the post game interview with Martin she commented on the service errors and said she knew she had to go 80% power on her serves. Just focus and get it over the net she said. The thing is SDSU should always be served short as they seem to have more problems with those short serves.

SDSU is a solid MWC team and we are damn lucky to come from behind and pull off this victory. Congrats Rebels.

Like the adjustment, from Coach Malia Shoji.
Where she put her most consistent servers in the game and left the bad ones on the bench.
This helped us sweep San Jose.

Like the adjustment, from Coach Malia Shoji.
Where she put her most consistent servers in the game and left the bad ones on the bench.
This helped us sweep San Jose.
Setla had like 4 service errors at the worst times. I wouldn't mind seeing her on the bench but she has been making more of a contribution on defense. And, "bibbs" didn't play vs SDSU and when they brought her in vs SJSU she had one good serve then the second into the net. She was done for the night. Real shame because she can contribute with setting. But if she can't clean those serves then she is better off on the bench. I was surprised they didn't bring in Jenna Howard. She serves well and is a good setter.

Alyssa Muraoka and Jenna Howard need more playing time.
Especially, their service games.
The inconsistent servers are, Olivia Mikkelsen and Isha Knight.
Just bring those two for setting and defense only.
Have not seen, Sydney Stenson or Kennedy Peery play any sets at all this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meister_Rebel
Alyssa Muraoka and Jenna Howard need more playing time.
Especially, their service games.
The inconsistent servers are, Olivia Mikkelsen and Isha Knight.
Just bring those two for setting and defense only.
Have not seen, Sydney Stenson or Kennedy Peery play any sets at all this year.
Alyssa gets a little playing time. I don't get why Jenna Howard didn't get in last night. Against Portland when she was serving we went on something like a 10 point run. She plays good defense and she sets better than Fafard imo. Fafard kills me with those low sets. It seems like our power outside hitters struggle to reach for some of her sets which can be low and wide. I would like to see more high sets and take advantage of our power hitters. Yeah, I have not seen Sydney or Peery play at all this season. And it is a shame about Olivia, "Bibbs", and her inconsistent serves. She is fun to watch otherwise. A decent setter for sure.

You will have to check out our woman's soccer team. Freshman Trinity Buchanan from Henderson is fun to watch. Incredible ball handling skills.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I don't mind Fafard, she has the most experience as far as our setter's go.
Plus, she is a Senior. Coach, values that.
Sometimes, the other team has good blockers up front and SJSU has them.
It was puzzling to why, Jenna Howard didn't play at all. That one surprised me too.
She needs to be in a daily rotation.

I can't get into women's soccer. When, the outcome is 0-0, or 1-0.
It's just too boring for me. Not my cup of tea.

Last edited:
I don't mind Fafard, she has the most experience as far as our setter's go.
Plus, she is a Senior. Coach, values that.
Sometimes, the other team has good blockers up front and SJSU has them.
It was puzzling to why, Jenna Howard didn't play at all. That one surprised me too.
She needs to be in a daily rotation.

I can't get into women's soccer. When, the outcome is 0-0, or 1-0.
It's just too boring for me. Not my cup of tea.
I don't usually like to talk about soccer in forums. I'm way too critical. I just brought them up because like I said Trinity Buchanan as a freshman has some serious skills worth watching. Another freshman, Villanueva, and sophomore Ramirez have a real nose for the goal. These young players are going to help build a really good soccer team.

They just knocked off the preseason #1 favorite Wyoming in Laramie 2-1. They have my attention.

Alyssa gets a little playing time. I don't get why Jenna Howard didn't get in last night. Against Portland when she was serving we went on something like a 10 point run. She plays good defense and she sets better than Fafard imo. Fafard kills me with those low sets. It seems like our power outside hitters struggle to reach for some of her sets which can be low and wide. I would like to see more high sets and take advantage of our power hitters.
I haven't got to watch, so I appreciate these updates.

Low sets are free balls for the other team, that really sucks. Missing serves is pure disaster you at least have a shot at a block or dig.

Saw Casey Jennings and Carrie Walsh over the weekend. Good people.

Rebels won the match 3-2. After losing the first two sets the Rebels picked things up. In those first two sets the Rebels looked lethargic as they had ZERO blocks. By the end of the 4th set the Rebels had 12 blocks. Very strong comeback. The 5th set was too close after we gave them two free points with our service errors. Why they brought Knight into the 5th set to lay an egg with one of those service errors is beyond me. Setla also had one of those 5th set service errors. Go Rebels.

Team12345
Winner UNLV1814252515
Wyoming2525182012

Great comeback by the Lady Volleyball Rebels.
Reverse sweep on the road is SWEET!
Setla, had so many service errors in this match.
It almost cost us the match.
Thank Jesus, that UNLV's experience pulled them through.

Can't start slow again, against Colorado State.
Or, we will surely lose to them this Saturday.

Great comeback by the Lady Volleyball Rebels.
Reverse sweep on the road is SWEET!
Setla, had so many service errors in this match.
It almost cost us the match.
Thank Jesus, that UNLV's experience pulled them through.

Can't start slow again, against Colorado State.
Or, we will surely lose to them this Saturday.
I wish Setla would stay on the bench. I'm tired of throwing the F bomb. She picked up her intensity with defense in the 3rd set otherwise she was useless in the first two. Fafard again continues with low sets. I'm surprised we haven't been called for some lifts because it's there. Our front row players are having to scoop the ball up to get it over the net. I sure miss Jenna Gabriel at setter. We did get back Jenna Howard and I prefer to see her setting the ball over Fafard but, she did have multiple service errors.

On to Saturday's match. I'm looking for a good one. Maybe we will be ready to go for set 1 with having just one day off instead of the week off they had before Wyoming.

I was thinking about Mikkelsen sitting on the bench. What a waste of talent but she has amassed nearly 30 service errors in the short number of games she's been in. Her problem is just no control. It might behoove her to go back to beginner basics and serve the ball underhand. Otherwise we've just wasted a scholarship.

I wish Setla would stay on the bench. I'm tired of throwing the F bomb. She picked up her intensity with defense in the 3rd set otherwise she was useless in the first two. Fafard again continues with low sets. I'm surprised we haven't been called for some lifts because it's there. Our front row players are having to scoop the ball up to get it over the net. I sure miss Jenna Gabriel at setter. We did get back Jenna Howard and I prefer to see her setting the ball over Fafard but, she did have multiple service errors.

On to Saturday's match. I'm looking for a good one. Maybe we will be ready to go for set 1 with having just one day off instead of the week off they had before Wyoming.

I was thinking about Mikkelsen sitting on the bench. What a waste of talent but she has amassed nearly 30 service errors in the short number of games she's been in. Her problem is just no control. It might behoove her to go back to beginner basics and serve the ball underhand. Otherwise we've just wasted a scholarship.
Have, Jenna Howard and Fafard rotate, 50/50 as being setters. Their serves, don't hurt the team as much as Mikkelsen does. Why, are you so high on Mikkelsen? She, looks average, to me. Nothing, special.
The girls are college kids and are trying their best. So, if they make a mistake. I don't go off the handle as much as I used to, as I did in my 20's and 30's.
If we are losing games. I do like how Coach adjusts and uses players that frequently do not play, to see if the team can turn around the momentum of the game. The coach, is learning too. Which, is good.

It still looks like a 2 horse race, between Utah State and UNLV. Fighting for first place.

The coach knows Mikkelsen from the Pac12. It's not that I'm so high on her because if she can't serve we don't want her. Early in non-conference play Mikkelsen was the #2 setter. Once she saw more playing time her serves went the other way. My issue is with Fafard. Her sets if not low then they are put in a bad placement for our hitters. I've even watched Fafard place dump sets right into the net. I believe our hitters would be a lot more effective if the they could only get a decent consistent set. Against Wyoming Fafard placed a set for Freeman two feet behind her. It was high and if Freeman hadn't bent her back and reached behind her to just barely tap the ball forward it would have been a setting error. Look at all the low sets and watch our front row players literally have to scoop the ball up and over the net. Fafard was going to be the starting setter last year but when Jenna Gabrial came and opted to play Fafard went to the bench. Mikkelsen and Howard actually have a lot better control and ball placement as setters in my opinion. We are winning with Fafard but we aren't making it easy for ourselves and its going to cost us down the road. Just my opinion.

Anyway, I'm hoping for a better match today with CSU.

Reactions: the Florian Trout
CSU Sweeps the Rebels
25-21
25-21
25-21

Service Errors bit us in the ass this time. Even the announcer questioned "What is going on?" with those service errors. I believe Setla lead the Rebels with Service Errors. Coach needs to fix this. Being aggressive is one thing but costing us matches is something else. Start by benching Setla and then work on the other players. Enough is enough.

• Angry
I realistically, thought we would go 1-1, on this road trip.
Hoping, for 2-0. It didn't happen.
Colorado State at home are a monster. Last year's, team went 17-1 in conference and the lone loss was @ CSU.

What I did like about last year's team compared to this year's team, is service games.
They didn't have many service Ace's but they didn't have many service errors either.
I would hope, coach tells her team to just serve it over the net. Take a lot, off the power of the serve.
This will, limit the service errors in the game and make us win some games, we would have lost.

We have a conference record of 3-1. Our next 4 games, we will be favored to win all of them.
New Mexico, Air Force at home and our away games are at Reno and Fresno St.

I went to their scrimmage earlier this month which was held in the auxillery section of the Cox Pavillion.

They are super athletic and I can watch them all day. As a matter of fact, I’m gonna buy season tickets.

I actually prefer this to women’s basketball. The balls come at you at a super high Velocity.

The women adjust their shorts more than you realize,makes for dirty volleyballs.

What do you all think of volleyball in general?
I know this Scrub - Womens Volleyball is QUICKLY becoming a very very popular sport. Women (young girls) are turning to Volleyball in droves. The exposure on TV is huge - its spreading quickly. People love to watch it and the fun they have while playing looks inviting so every young girl now wants to play Volleyball.

For me I love it because - I teach (coach) triple extension (how to jump) and because I have 4 daughters and my wife is a coach too - we tend to attract girl clients _ thus Volleyball players. -

Scrub - Just remember to be respectful when watching the Sport and be careful about comments and shorts- Somebody's Dad is watching and the wrong comments might increase the costs of your dental bills

Relax RWAC..

I sat with some of the volleyball players while watching the lady rebels basketball team. We sat near the band. I told them I would go support them. (Unfortunately, I haven’t gone to a game yet)

Lady women’s plays tonight..

I plan on going. Weather is nice. Traffic is beyond terrible.

Lots of students wear booty shorts. Not just volleyball team.

I might wear one to the game

Reactions: WYNN or Dye
Rebels swept again this time by NM.

Team Names12345T
New Mexico2525252
UNLV1816180

Beyond disappointed. Our new Volleyball Coach lost me.

Good luck Rebels.

I can't wait for the Lady Rebel Basketball season to start.

Last edited:
  • Angry
My first time going to a volleyball game..

Yikes, it was a bloodbath.

maybe I’m just getting old. Went sober so that ruined my own vibe.

I think it’s a hard sport to play.

There’s a lot of players..mix it up.

As I was heading home, there was another sport being played. I’ve never been on those fields..probably soccer.

I’m out of loop when it comes to volleyball and sports for that matter.

Good luck the rest of the way..just finish strong.

I myself don’t like criticizing kids especially young women. (Welcome to middle age)

The potential is there.

I watched it on the internet. And, we were bound to lose to New Mexico.
We had, beaten them 6 times in a row. Until, tonight.
The first time head coach, is definitely taking her lumps.
She, is learning on the spot and was our worst game of the season.

I don't see, an NCAA tournament from this team.
Luckily, the MWC Tournament this year is in Cox Pavilion.
So, that is the only time we have a chance to win and qualify.

My first time going to a volleyball game..

Yikes, it was a bloodbath.

maybe I’m just getting old. Went sober so that ruined my own vibe.

I think it’s a hard sport to play.

There’s a lot of players..mix it up.

As I was heading home, there was another sport being played. I’ve never been on those fields..probably soccer.

I’m out of loop when it comes to volleyball and sports for that matter.

Good luck the rest of the way..just finish strong.

I myself don’t like criticizing kids especially young women. (Welcome to middle age)

The potential is there.
You were sober with that headgear? Huh... hehe

Service errors killed momentum many times. I think their longest run of points was 3 or 4. Gave up at least 5 to 7 points on dinks over blockers but only got a couple on their own dinks. Seemed as if they lost confidence in their own attack game. They seemed out of sync much of the night, wilted late in each game.

It was over so quick I caught the 2nd half of men's soccer 2-0 win over SJSU. That one got testy in the 2nd half with SJSU getting several yellow cards and a red card while Rebs had a yellow for dissent over lack of a call.

Good bounce back game from the Rebels. We needed this.
Consistent serving and limiting errors won us the game.
We own Air Force. 47 - 5, lifetime record against them! Air Force, is much improved this year.
The conference, is better this year than last year.
There are no cake walks, except Reno. They, always suck.

Reactions: Rebels_88
There are no cake walks, except Reno. They, always suck.

This might be the worst Volleyball coaching hire we've ever made. Losing to the worst volleyball team in anyone's league is pathetic. Why would you make the libero change at this point in the season is beyond me. Maybe King did something wrong to get into the doghouse but starting Setla at libero??? It is sad to see this team going backward.

This might be the worst Volleyball coaching hire we've ever made. Losing to the worst volleyball team in anyone's league is pathetic. Why would you make the libero change at this point in the season is beyond me. Maybe King did something wrong to get into the doghouse but starting Setla at libero??? It is sad to see this team going backward.
That's AD, Eric Harper's fault then.
He hired her. Blame him.

That's AD, Eric Harper's fault then.
He hired her. Blame him.
I could. But she is coaching this team. The player substitutions is head scratching. She hardly ever plays Prince and then she plays her tonight the most I've seen. The coach imo thought this was a gimme and she could experiment. Pathetic. Seems like she is experimenting every game. This program is on a horrible downslide.

I've complained about Setla's serves. Her first serve was a service error. Her last serve was a service error. Where do you expect this to go if not backward.

I don't know. You are right, her coaching substitution patterns are baffling to me too.
She, is throwing stuff on the wall and hoping that it sticks.

I was, wondering why the Libero Caleigh King was not starting anymore?
She, doesn't even play in the first set anymore. Why?
I think, our Service game is do or die.
They either serve an Ace or the serve goes in the net or out of bounds.

I, haven't given up on the Head Coach yet.
She needs, to figure this out quickly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT