ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like the PAC implosion is beginning...

I honestly think in the long term that 3 20-24 team conferences will be sort of the final resting spot for the top end, with the B1G, SEC, and then B12 or ACC, whoever can keep their marquee teams from joining the bigger conferences. With no further changes, it is probably going to mean the death of recognizable college athletics. I hate to say it, but I think we started to treat things seriously about 20 years too late.

I kind of wish as long as we're throwing out tradition altogether, that you'd take the remaining FBS squads (40-60) and put them into a 2nd tier for real and use a relegation/promotion system. The champions of the the feeder leagues get a BCS bowl at large (3 out of 12) and get promoted to the big boys the following year while the worst team from each of the 3 super conferences is relegated. It's the only way I can see there being any sort of illusion that the smaller non power schools have a chance for representation.

But it won't happen, because when you try to take money off the big dog's plates, that's when they'll scream 'Historical Consistancy' and 'Collegiate Tradition'.

Reactions: Meister_Rebel
Didn't want to start another thread for this. The AAC is targeting Army to replace SMU. I wonder if they came after AF.

Didn't want to start another thread for this. The AAC is targeting Army to replace SMU. I wonder if they came after AF.

Wow Army, was Campbell busy?

Good move by them. Army has a good following. Even though they aren't great. AAC had stated they are making moves to make sure they are clearly the 5th best conference after the power 4. And while they work towards that the MWC sits back and watches what others end up doing.

Last edited:
And while they work towards that the MWC sits back and watches what others end up doing.
This take is pretty off imo. AAC lost the 4 best teams they had.

They replace them with Army. Who will be interesting, people will watch some, good academics... but is not at all getting them closer to being the best p5. Recent success that has not been long term. 4-5 winning seasons in 25+ years.

The truth is there aren't just teams who want to go to either of those conferences that will make them better. Why doesn't the MWC just go grab notre dame?

Regionally, what... poach the WAC and the Big Sky? 2-4 big sky programs *might*, pass the eye test. But against fbs competition for sustained periods, I have my doubts. And importantly, they wouldn't bring more pie to the table than they'd eat. So it would be a net negative unless you really think they get them over the hump.

The west is so sparsely populated with sports playing schools that it's an inherent disadvantage. Let's go to Liberty. Why? Do you want the MWC to get 6 teams from the south or Midwest just to make the middle of the conference have different names?

MWC is waiting. They are waiting because for the first time in my lifetime, schools FROM THE P5 are going downward. They don't want to. They want to avoid it. But the MWC can't offer anything to make them forego other options. It will be effectively last resort.

Genuine question: who do you want MWC to expand to that they could reasonably get?

This take is pretty off imo. AAC lost the 4 best teams they had.

They replace them with Army. Who will be interesting, people will watch some, good academics... but is not at all getting them closer to being the best p5. Recent success that has not been long term. 4-5 winning seasons in 25+ years.

The truth is there aren't just teams who want to go to either of those conferences that will make them better. Why doesn't the MWC just go grab notre dame?

Regionally, what... poach the WAC and the Big Sky? 2-4 big sky programs *might*, pass the eye test. But against fbs competition for sustained periods, I have my doubts. And importantly, they wouldn't bring more pie to the table than they'd eat. So it would be a net negative unless you really think they get them over the hump.

The west is so sparsely populated with sports playing schools that it's an inherent disadvantage. Let's go to Liberty. Why? Do you want the MWC to get 6 teams from the south or Midwest just to make the middle of the conference have different names?

MWC is waiting. They are waiting because for the first time in my lifetime, schools FROM THE P5 are going downward. They don't want to. They want to avoid it. But the MWC can't offer anything to make them forego other options. It will be effectively last resort.

Genuine question: who do you want MWC to expand to that they could reasonably get?
Gonna add a thought.

MWC was quick to grab schools when they initially got raided and Utah at the same time as BYU went WCC/Indy, they grabbed Boise State. After TCU left for Big 12 the next year, they backfilled with Fresno, Hawaii, and Reno. Ultimately they got the rest of the WAC with sjsu and usu as well. Idaho and NMSU went indy/struggled for temporary c-usa membership and ultimately one is fcs and the other lucked into c-usa since all their teams went AAC. LA tech went c-usa. Are those the teams you want to expand to?

C-USA schools, WAC schools, maybe Sunbelt? If so, I guess I could see those as the best options. Though I'm not sure why SBC or CUSA schools would want into the MWC. Unless it's a group of schools, like 4-6.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
MW had the opportunity to add UTSA, North Texas or Rice 2 years ago. Get in on the texas market and upside programs, especially UTSA.

Reactions: rebelzzz
MW had the opportunity to add UTSA, North Texas or Rice 2 years ago. Get in on the texas market and upside programs, especially UTSA.
UTSA would be interesting to me. I dont really feel super strongly about them, but they seem committed so thats big time. Don't really feel strongly about North Texas or Rice. I actually have a negative sentiment toward Rice.

If UTSA, Tulane, Memphis, and one other Texas or nearby program was available, I could see those working out.

Those three programs are all in the AAC now right? To me, getting them would have been solely to block the AAC from getting them. I understand that's part of the math, but do they actually bring anything financially?

Reactions: jmcnamaraiii
Also, I hadn't really accounted for the 6 teams the AAC brought in the 3 they lost this season:

Charlotte, Florida Atlantic, North Texas, Rice, UAB, and UTSA.

UTSA I think have potential to be good long term adds foe them. Not dure I feel thag way about UAB or Charlotte. And I think UNT, Rice, and FAU will ultimately be negative additions. Or at least not bringing anything consistently.

Limited research done. Helps for them that those schools are in the natural footprint of the conference as it stands.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT