ADVERTISEMENT

Pac-2 finally firing Commissioner Kliavkoff

This is going to be interesting to see how it plays out. From what I read, and if there have been recent changes please share;

"The terms of the contract grant CBS Sports and FOX Sports the rights to broadcast 47 Mountain West football games each season. CBS Sports Network will televise 27 games, while FOX Sports broadcasts 17 games. CBS Sports gets further rights to broadcast three non-conference games."

So 44 conference games total is the whole conference schedule, correct? 8 games x 11/2?

And 3 non-con? So WSU and OSU have how many with you guys? The schedules I see shows WSU playing 8 against the MW, OSU shows 7. We both play SDSU, BSU and SJSU. The "scheduling agreement" indicates more like 6, but whatever. It gets better - the MW will play 7 conference games plus 1 non-con with us and OSU? So that means not enough league games to fill the contracted TV 44. And 15 extra OOC games out there in La La Land.

Sorry, the math gets confusing, especially after a few beers. Bottom line IMHO is that there is a need for and room for some (positive?) negotiation with CBS and Fox, preferably for the benefit of the MW and Pac-2.

As an aside, I kind of have the hots for Gloria. Yeah she is getting on in years (53 now?), and looks like she needs to hit the gym, as compared to the pics I see of her from a few years back. But hey, I'd still do her.
OMG. Another Scrub!!!

This is going to be interesting to see how it plays out. From what I read, and if there have been recent changes please share;

"The terms of the contract grant CBS Sports and FOX Sports the rights to broadcast 47 Mountain West football games each season. CBS Sports Network will televise 27 games, while FOX Sports broadcasts 17 games. CBS Sports gets further rights to broadcast three non-conference games."

So 44 conference games total is the whole conference schedule, correct? 8 games x 11/2?

And 3 non-con? So WSU and OSU have how many with you guys? The schedules I see shows WSU playing 8 against the MW, OSU shows 7. We both play SDSU, BSU and SJSU. The "scheduling agreement" indicates more like 6, but whatever. It gets better - the MW will play 7 conference games plus 1 non-con with us and OSU? So that means not enough league games to fill the contracted TV 44. And 15 extra OOC games out there in La La Land.

Sorry, the math gets confusing, especially after a few beers. Bottom line IMHO is that there is a need for and room for some (positive?) negotiation with CBS and Fox, preferably for the benefit of the MW and Pac-2.

As an aside, I kind of have the hots for Gloria. Yeah she is getting on in years (53 now?), and looks like she needs to hit the gym, as compared to the pics I see of her from a few years back. But hey, I'd still do her.
If I'm reading this right you need to change the formula to (8 x 12)/2 for 48 conference scheduled games. Don't forget Hawaii for football only. The agreement is for 6 games each for OSU and WSU. Any games scheduled above those 6 were already scheduled prior to the agreement and will still take place. We also know about in conference la la land because an important game at the time, UNLV vs SJSU, didn't make it to our media partners and ended up on the MW Network. I would have to think a lot of curious eyes will want to see OSU and WSU this coming season so it has to have value. And, I'm still pissed we aren't playing the Cougs.

If I'm reading this right you need to change the formula to (8 x 12)/2 for 48 conference scheduled games. Don't forget Hawaii for football only. The agreement is for 6 games each for OSU and WSU. Any games scheduled above those 6 were already scheduled prior to the agreement and will still take place. We also know about in conference la la land because an important game at the time, UNLV vs SJSU, didn't make it to our media partners and ended up on the MW Network. I would have to think a lot of curious eyes will want to see OSU and WSU this coming season so it has to have value. And, I'm still pissed we aren't playing the Cougs.
Oops. yeah you are right. I remembered Hawaii but was spacing out. So next season 12x7/2=42 per the new scheduling arrangement. Almost 44.

OSU and WSU do have the Pac-12 network to work with = not much money there.

How about this Mountain West network? I am rooting around and have pulled it up on the web, watching a live Women's BB game right now. Is it just free on the web? Are there TV channels that carry it? It's confusing my feeble mind.

Last edited:
Let's say ACC collapse happens.

OREGON STATE
WASH. STATE
STANFORD
CAL
SMU
UTSA
TULANE
UNLV
BOISE STATE
SDSU
CSU
FRESNO

?
If/when the ACC falls apart I think the 4 PAC schools on this list will be BIG and Big12. The BIG will add a few ACC schools (UNC, Duke, UVA and it makes sense to add at least 2 (Stanford/CAL) from the West to the 4 they already have.

The SEC will also grab some ACC school (Clemson, FSU, Miami).
Wonding if The BIG wants a bigger Northeast presence and looks at BC ang SU?

This would also leave a ton of schools that could form a new league and since geography means nothing could be schools from all over.

Last edited:
If/when the ACC falls apart I think the 4 PAC schools on this list will be BIG and Big12. The BIG will add a few ACC schools (UNC, Duke, UVA and it makes sense to add at least 2 (Stanford/CAL) from the West to the 4 they already have.

This would also leave a ton of schools that could form a new league and since geography means nothing could be schools from all over.

Possible, probable even.

At this point anything can happen. And nothing would surprise me at this point.

So now you're trying to steal our women?

• Haha
Reactions: RebelScrub
I think the only way she would go to the Pac is if a large portion of the MWC also went. The Pac is a much better deal than the Boise State subsidized MWC!

Meh. I look at WSU's 2024 FB schedule. I like it. 8 of you guys. In Wyoming, Idaho (OK bleh) 3 in California, Utah, NM. I don't want to join some far flung league whose only motive is to make the FB playoffs. And chase the elusive dollar. Shit - you guys are profitable. Most with more sports than WSU. WTF is wrong with that picture?

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Oops. yeah you are right. I remembered Hawaii but was spacing out. So next season 12x7/2=42 per the new scheduling arrangement. Almost 44.

OSU and WSU do have the Pac-12 network to work with = not much money there.

How about this Mountain West network? I am rooting around and have pulled it up on the web, watching a live Women's BB game right now. Is it just free on the web? Are there TV channels that carry it? It's confusing my feeble mind.
Here is a very brief overview for games not carried by our media partners on linear TV broadcasts:

The MW Network, Streaming Only, is best viewed from an App that you can install on a streaming device such as Roku, AppleTV, and Firestick. The App may also be downloaded on your cell phone. It's free and I highly recommend you use it.

You can access games outside the App but, I'll just keep it to the App for now.

The App structure and games shown via the App actually start with your school production or local producer which feeds the Stadium Sports Network which then feeds the MW Network App. Stadium is the middle layer you mostly don't hear about. I only mention them because WSU and OSU will be looking at WCC streaming which is also fed by Stadium to the WCC App or Website or whatever they use. I do know that the WCC and several other conferences use Stadium for the streaming middle layer.

Let me really confuse you. Stadium also has their own App called Stadium. It's rare but I have seen MWC games show up on that Stadium App. It's possible some WCC games could show up there on occasion as well.

I tried to submit this earlier but I got one of those Rivals OOPS errors and lost it.

Last edited:
Reactions: bcvegaspt
Unless our games are on the ESPN app, I admit that it’s not usually easy (for me) to watch them so I chalk those up as “I’ll just wait to hear how we did” games.

Maybe it’s me getting older but the harder you make games for me to access, the less interested I am on making the effort to watch. I work hard at my job so I don’t want to do UNLV’s job in finding the games. Put them on a crappy tv station without commenters for all I care. I also pay for local cable so don’t make me download an app onto my tv that sometimes has the games and sometimes it doesn’t. Don’t get me started about the games freezing and pixelating on us on those apps/websites.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Unless our games are on the ESPN app, I admit that it’s not usually easy (for me) to watch them so I chalk those up as “I’ll just wait to hear how we did” games.

Maybe it’s me getting older but the harder you make games for me to access, the less interested I am on making the effort to watch. I work hard at my job so I don’t want to do UNLV’s job in finding the games. Put them on a crappy tv station without commenters for all I care. I also pay for local cable so don’t make me download an app onto my tv that sometimes has the games and sometimes it doesn’t. Don’t get me started about the games freezing and pixelating on us on those apps/websites.
I hear ya. I haven't had luck downloading the App directly to my TV's. It may not be supported. The MWN does support those streaming devices I mentioned. I prefer the Roku device but I also have the AppleTV device.

I don't get any freezing and pixelating anymore. It's really caused by internet speeds. I have very fast internet at the 1 gig speed level. I've only had such great internet in the last three years. Prior to that my internet speed was crap and I had those issues.

The MW Network App will have a schedule and time of all the events they are covering. Easy to see if there is a UNLV game of any kind as well as our conference mates games. I also like that they archive the games so if you can't watch it live they will post the game on the same App a few days later. I didn't know I would like the App until I started using it. I'm glad we have it.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Here is a very brief overview for games not carried by our media partners on linear TV broadcasts:

The MW Network, Streaming Only, is best viewed from an App that you can install on a streaming device such as Fubu, AppleTV, and Firestick. The App may also be downloaded on your cell phone. It's free and I highly recommend you use it.

You can access games outside the App but, I'll just keep it to the App for now.

The App structure and games shown via the App actually start with your school production or local producer which feeds the Stadium Sports Network which then feeds the MW Network App. Stadium is the middle layer you mostly don't hear about. I only mention them because WSU and OSU will be looking at WCC streaming which is also fed by Stadium to the WCC App or Website or whatever they use. I do know that the WCC and several other conferences use Stadium for the streaming middle layer.

Let me really confuse you. Stadium also has their own App called Stadium. It's rare but I have seen MWC games show up on that Stadium App. It's possible some WCC games could show up there on occasion as well.

I tried to submit this earlier but I got one of those Rivals OOPS errors and lost it.
Thanks, and yes I am confused. I have started to copy my posts before I submit them as I get that Oops message about half the time.

Thanks, and yes I am confused. I have started to copy my posts before I submit them as I get that Oops message about half the time.
Just for info - I never have that problem. Have you tried uninstall / reinstalling?

Just for info - I never have that problem. Have you tried uninstall / reinstalling?
I get that problem. And I don’t run this on an app, I run it as web.

I’ve noticed it tends to happen when you pause for a minute or two during a long post. Like there’s some sort of glitch with the auto save feature and timing out?

I get that problem. And I don’t run this on an app, I run it as web.

I’ve noticed it tends to happen when you pause for a minute or two during a long post. Like there’s some sort of glitch with the auto save feature and timing out?
That is what happened to me. I paused for a while during a long post and then tried to post the reply.

I goofed when I typed Fubu. I meant a Roku device.

You obviously have internet. But, I'm guessing you don't have a streaming device like Roku or AppleTV?

I goofed when I typed Fubu. I meant a Roku device.

You obviously have internet. But, I'm guessing you don't have a streaming device like Roku or AppleTV?
No and no. And really don't want them. I'm not as dumb as I sound, but I prefer to turn on my cable TV and get games. Or my computer, for which I have an old TV as the second monitor.

The whole point of my question(s) was wondering what will happen with the Pac-2 vs MW games, TV-wise. For the Pac, our non-con games are apparently up in the air as well. We have the Pac12/2 network, with a soon to be scaled down bevy of channels. Guess I said that previously.

No and no. And really don't want them. I'm not as dumb as I sound, but I prefer to turn on my cable TV and get games. Or my computer, for which I have an old TV as the second monitor.

The whole point of my question(s) was wondering what will happen with the Pac-2 vs MW games, TV-wise. For the Pac, our non-con games are apparently up in the air as well. We have the Pac12/2 network, with a soon to be scaled down bevy of channels. Guess I said that previously.
I'm guessing the PAC/MW games will default to the MW partners. So CBS Sports network, FS1, and then the MW network.

Last year many of the MW network football games, maybe all of them were also available on amazon prime through "Freevee". That has no carried over for basketball it seems.

The MW network kinda sucks in the fact it doesn't play nice with chromecast devices. So a few devices listed above have a dedicated app, but not universally. So most smart TVs don't have an app. But If I remember correctly, the PAC network had very sparse availability too if I remember from when we had games on there. So it may be old hat to you.

I hear ya. I haven't had luck downloading the App directly to my TV's. It may not be supported. The MWN does support those streaming devices I mentioned. I prefer the Roku device but I also have the AppleTV device.

I don't get any freezing and pixelating anymore. It's really caused by internet speeds. I have very fast internet at the 1 gig speed level. I've only had such great internet in the last three years. Prior to that my internet speed was crap and I had those issues.

The MW Network App will have a schedule and time of all the events they are covering. Easy to see if there is a UNLV game of any kind as well as our conference mates games. I also like that they archive the games so if you can't watch it live they will post the game on the same App a few days later. I didn't know I would like the App until I started using it. I'm glad we have it.
I was at the fastest Cox provided but I'm no longer sure if I am or not. There's only so much that I want to spend on TV/Internet so I guess that I'll miss a few games.

I do appreciate your information about this. While I'm not ancient, I'm not totally up-to-date on technology (and don't really care to be at this point). I guess that the harder it is to access the games, the more likely I am to reciprocate that effort.

I'm guessing the PAC/MW games will default to the MW partners. So CBS Sports network, FS1, and then the MW network.

Last year many of the MW network football games, maybe all of them were also available on amazon prime through "Freevee". That has no carried over for basketball it seems.

The MW network kinda sucks in the fact it doesn't play nice with chromecast devices. So a few devices listed above have a dedicated app, but not universally. So most smart TVs don't have an app. But If I remember correctly, the PAC network had very sparse availability too if I remember from when we had games on there. So it may be old hat to you.
For all of the MWC member home games with the Pac-2 that would make sense. The OSU and WSU home games it sounds as if they are free to make their own media contracts for those games. Their home games they are paying $1.5 million to the MWC so they are free to market their home games any way they want. Our media partners may make the Pac-2 an offer to carry those games. I hope they do just to facilitate future media negotiations in case we do a reverse merger.

Reactions: dcut03
Just Gloria, Victoria, Bridget and maybe Hanna.

We'll keep a few of our cuties.....
Because you like Gloria here is an article on her from Forbes. One thing I picked out of the article is that the MWC has hired a consultant, Endeavor, to begin the process of our next media rights contract.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timcas...a-nevarez-rose-to-prominence/?sh=38f98156364b

Reactions: WarthogRebel
I really hope we will be able to watch our game at OSU next season!
I'm sure that will happen. I read another article from yesterday which read "New Pac-12 Commissioner Teresa Gould said Thursday the conference's two remaining members, Oregon State and Washington State, are encouraged by the interest in the media rights to the schools' home football games and hope to have an agreement in place soon."

Pac12 Networks "going dark" in June. The studios to remain open for the Pac-2. Not sure where that is going but we will see.

Thanx for all the links (especially the Gloria link, swoon),

The USA Today article is especially interesting. I knew nothing about the agreement the Pac-2 and MW West signed in December, which states: The two leagues made an agreement last December that says they will negotiate the “consummation, as promptly as reasonably practicable, of a definitive transaction pursuant to which all MWC Member Institutions join Pac-12 as Pac-12 member institutions with no MWC Exit Fee payable by any MWC Member Institution to MWC.”

But our new Commissioner sez: No. It’s just an option. Gould said Thursday that discussions haven’t even begun on that....... “We are very much in the infancy stages of talking about what happens beyond 2026,” Gould said. “We are not discussing one model or one option.

Well the agreement and her statement are about as opposite as you can get.

USA also sez the Pac-12 network will be "going dark", whereas in other articles Teresa sez it will remain in operation. For those not in the know, the network has multiple channels (WA, OR, Bay, LA, Mtn, AZ and a main one. So that should go down to 2. Possible/probable venue for our home games not picked up elsewhere, much as it does now.

Thanx for all the links (especially the Gloria link, swoon),

The USA Today article is especially interesting. I knew nothing about the agreement the Pac-2 and MW West signed in December, which states: The two leagues made an agreement last December that says they will negotiate the “consummation, as promptly as reasonably practicable, of a definitive transaction pursuant to which all MWC Member Institutions join Pac-12 as Pac-12 member institutions with no MWC Exit Fee payable by any MWC Member Institution to MWC.”

But our new Commissioner sez: No. It’s just an option. Gould said Thursday that discussions haven’t even begun on that....... “We are very much in the infancy stages of talking about what happens beyond 2026,” Gould said. “We are not discussing one model or one option.

Well the agreement and her statement are about as opposite as you can get.

USA also sez the Pac-12 network will be "going dark", whereas in other articles Teresa sez it will remain in operation. For those not in the know, the network has multiple channels (WA, OR, Bay, LA, Mtn, AZ and a main one. So that should go down to 2. Possible/probable venue for our home games not picked up elsewhere, much as it does now.
Interesting.

True that there are 2 diametrically opposite opinions/possibilities in that article. But it is the first official mention of the PAC absorbing the MW teams and becoming a new PAC. That makes the most sense, and also is a good workaround for the Boise State inequality thing, at least potentially. I like that it seems like the MW isn't trying to be bullish on absorbing the PAC schools into the MW. The PAC name holds more clout.

It make total sense to wait and see and not be committal for the PAC right now for a few reasons. First, they definitely want to see how the ACC thing plays out. That could change things, even if it is welcoming back the NoCal schools. The other side of that is again at least kicking the tires on a new PAC building with some MW schools to maximize per team payouts. That makes the most financial sense long term.

Interesting.

True that there are 2 diametrically opposite opinions/possibilities in that article. But it is the first official mention of the PAC absorbing the MW teams and becoming a new PAC. That makes the most sense, and also is a good workaround for the Boise State inequality thing, at least potentially. I like that it seems like the MW isn't trying to be bullish on absorbing the PAC schools into the MW. The PAC name holds more clout.

It make total sense to wait and see and not be committal for the PAC right now for a few reasons. First, they definitely want to see how the ACC thing plays out. That could change things, even if it is welcoming back the NoCal schools. The other side of that is again at least kicking the tires on a new PAC building with some MW schools to maximize per team payouts. That makes the most financial sense long term.
Cal and Stanford administrators would rather take rat poison than have UNLV in their conference .

Cal and Stanford administrators would rather take rat poison than have UNLV in their conference .
That may be true. But they may not have a choice, other than going indy and getting completely effed.
If they were to come back, they would have a significantly reduced say I would believe.

Cool they can enjoy life as an independent then.

The old beggars and choosers thing.

Either build the best conference possible to stay relevant, or....

Well. Not..

Nice time for UNLV football to take off this past season. In the past UNLV would not have been a big draw, but with the current status of UNLV football and the huge fundraising campaign for new facilities, including an indoor training facility, the will be a much bigger key to an increase in future TV/Cable/Streaming contracts for PAC/MWC.

Interesting.

I want to see this entire agreement. Thet article also says: "For example, if the Pac-12 invited 10 Mountain West teams instead of all 12, it would owe the Mountain West a withdrawal fee of $122.5 million." Is that in the agreement itself? Doesn't really say.

Anyway, y'all know I am a big reverse merger fan. All of you, unless YOU want to kick someone(s) out. The thing about your comments, dcut, is if we rebuild the Pac with "some" of the MW, who else do we grab to fill the Pac roster? Another couple of G5 schools from hell's half acre? F that.

Oh yeah, did you guys notice that my Cougs are a half game out of 1st in the Pac-12, ranked 19 and being floated as a 5 seed? First NCAA in 16 years pretty much locked up. If we do win the league, it'll be the first since I believe 1941 when we were NCAA runners up.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I want to see this entire agreement. Thet article also says: "For example, if the Pac-12 invited 10 Mountain West teams instead of all 12, it would owe the Mountain West a withdrawal fee of $122.5 million." Is that in the agreement itself? Doesn't really say.

Anyway, y'all know I am a big reverse merger fan. All of you, unless YOU want to kick someone(s) out. The thing about your comments, dcut, is if we rebuild the Pac with "some" of the MW, who else do we grab to fill the Pac roster? Another couple of G5 schools from hell's half acre? F that.

Oh yeah, did you guys notice that my Cougs are a half game out of 1st in the Pac-12, ranked 19 and being floated as a 5 seed? First NCAA in 16 years pretty much locked up. If we do win the league, it'll be the first since I believe 1941 when we were NCAA runners up.

If you kick any out (my opinion most likely candidate Hawaii unless football only. New Mexico.)

If you are looking to add its tough out West because there simply aren't as many schools. So you probably have to reach East a bit. By East I mean like Texas.

If Stanford Cal come back (I know I know they can pound sound and are dead to you 😀) And you want to get to 12 and the best possible football conference (as well as devent TV markets for the most part) this would be my 12 off top of my head..If SMU is available I go after them and replace USU

WSU
OSU
CAL
STANFORD
SDSU
FRESNO
UNLV
CSU
BOISE
USU
AF
and I reach out to
UTSA

No Cal and Stanford or SMU

WSU
OSU
FRESNO
SDSU
BOISE
UNLV
CSU
USU
AF
UTSA
WYOMING
SJSU maybe?

Not a lot to choose from.

Yes. It is true that if 10 MWC schools are poached by the Pac-2 during the life of the scheduling agreement that is what the Pac-2 has to pay. It's in the agreement under the subject of Withdrawal Fees.

Gloria is a genius.

Last edited:
If you kick any out (my opinion most likely candidate Hawaii unless football only. New Mexico.)

If you are looking to add its tough out West because there simply aren't as many schools. So you probably have to reach East a bit. By East I mean like Texas.

If Stanford Cal come back (I know I know they can pound sound and are dead to you 😀) And you want to get to 12 and the best possible football conference (as well as devent TV markets for the most part) this would be my 12 off top of my head..If SMU is available I go after them and replace USU

WSU
OSU
CAL
STANFORD
SDSU
FRESNO
UNLV
CSU
BOISE
USU
AF
and I reach out to
UTSA

No Cal and Stanford or SMU

WSU
OSU
FRESNO
SDSU
BOISE
UNLV
CSU
USU
AF
UTSA
WYOMING
SJSU maybe?

Not a lot to choose from.
The Mountain West, from what I see, is doing just fine. Plug WSU and OSU in, make it the Pac-14. Go from there. F-UTSA or SMU or anyone else.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT