ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like the PAC implosion is beginning...

ACC getting real nervous right about now.

Edit - Nvm, they have a ridiculous exit fee of $120 million and the contract is good till 2036. I bet Duke drew that contract up, sneaky bastards.

Last edited:

AZ, ASU and Utah gone. Sounds like a MWC/PAC merger.
The final PAC 4 will want a multiplier to join the MWC. Say 1.3 or 1.5 times a normal share. Let's say a new deal comes in at $ 10 mil a team for 16 teams. The favored 4 will want 12 mil a year and the schlubs will get 9 mil. Their reasoning will be their addition allowed a larger contract so they should get the most of it. Also, they were getting $ 30 mil and they are taking a huge hit. And Afterall, we should be thankful they are gracing us with their presence.

The final PAC 4 will want a multiplier to join the MWC. Say 1.3 or 1.5 times a normal share. Let's say a new deal comes in at $ 10 mil a team for 16 teams. The favored 4 will want 12 mil a year and the schlubs will get 9 mil. Their reasoning will be their addition allowed a larger contract so they should get the most of it. Also, they were getting $ 30 mil and they are taking a huge hit. And Afterall, we should be thankful they are gracing us with their presence.
Our tv deal gives the MWC $270 million over 6 years. Divided by 11 teams that's like $4 million a year. If my math is right(and that's a big IF) then if the addition of the Pac 4 gave us more than 2x as much I'd be ok with giving them a bonus. Not sure if I'd give them 1.5x as much but first they'd have to prove their mere presence will give us a much bigger contract. Personally I think they're overestimating their value which is what got them to this point in the first place.

There’s no way Stanford and Cal will ever be in the same league as UNLV..
There’s no way Stanford and Cal will ever be in the same league as UNLV..
The Stanford professor whose son started FTX crypto currency. (Fake computer money) and of course Cal with Aaron Rodgers..greatest QB of all time. I might actually buy a NY Jet jersey..

As long as we got a huge boost I would be ok with giving them a larger share.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
The PAC is dead. They have nothing left to offer. Everyone keeps acting like this is 2000 and they are a P5. They are gutted of 70% of their best teams, have no media contract or media interest, they have the worst management in college sports and a bad reputation everywhere as an organization. They have nothing left to leverage or sell. PAC is bankrupt.

The thing the PAC has to offer is to get away from some schools that bring no value. SJSU, Utah St, UNR, Wyoming none of those schools bring much value or help to increase money coming in when the MWC renegotiate its tv deal. Also Wyoming is a nightmare to travel to.
Grab 6 teams from the MWC and there is no exit fee because it drops the mwc below 7 members.
Grab the upper teams from the AAC now you have a conference way better than the MWC and in the middle of tv negotiations very possible to get between $10-$15 million per team instead of $4.

The thing the PAC has to offer is to get away from some schools that bring no value. SJSU, Utah St, UNR, Wyoming none of those schools bring much value or help to increase money coming in when the MWC renegotiate its tv deal. Also Wyoming is a nightmare to travel to.
Grab 6 teams from the MWC and there is no exit fee because it drops the mwc below 7 members.
Grab the upper teams from the AAC now you have a conference way better than the MWC and in the middle of tv negotiations very possible to get between $10-$15 million per team instead of $4.
I’m thinking along these lines as well if we can’t back-door our way into a P5. Frankly anything to get us separated from UNR, SJSU, Wyoming, etc. as an aside, I’m a bit surprised no P5 has taken Stanford. Incredible academics and it’s seems every year a men’s or women’s team is competing for a championship in a sport.

I’m thinking along these lines as well if we can’t back-door our way into a P5. Frankly anything to get us separated from UNR, SJSU, Wyoming, etc. as an aside, I’m a bit surprised no P5 has taken Stanford. Incredible academics and it’s seems every year a men’s or women’s team is competing for a championship in a sport.
With a huge market like the bay area it is confounding they haven't been invited to either of the Bigs. I guess Raiders fans don't automatically translate into Stanford 'Harvard of the West' fans?

Cal and Stanford will end up in the Big 10 to make 20 teams. Maybe the conference poaches one more school and go 3 7 team divisions.

Washington State and Oregon State could end up in the Mountain West..

It's gross.

Cal and Stanford will end up in the Big 10 to make 20 teams. Maybe the conference poaches one more school and go 3 7 team divisions.

Washington State and Oregon State could end up in the Mountain West..

It's gross.
Adding the worst of their conference to, at best, an incredibly mediocre, inconsequential conference. Yeah, that would suck. I want new blood but they are dry as hell.

You have to be a god damn genius to get into Stanford.

UNLV
SDSU
UNM
BSU
AF (good karma to have a military academy)
CSU
Cal
OSU
WSU
Poach a couple schools from other conferences and it’s a better Conf than the current MW.

Football is the key driving force in all this. AF has a solid program and is a national brand.
Correct. Basketball does not matter in the run of conference realignment. Football drives the TV contracts. UNM is absolutely a disaster there and no signs of getting better. Their facilities are old and agin, they have no money and the State doesnt really have much either. They much more in line with Mid-major basketball conferences than "P5" football

Story today said SDSU was trying to form a super conf with pac 4, best of mwc, and best of aac(like Memphis and smu). But mwc stuck together. Not sure that was so smart on mwc part unless the plan had not much of the mwc going forward.

I ain’t mad at SDSU trying to be proactive, I wish we were!
Yeah, the worst thing you could be doing right now is what the Pac12 and the MWC have been doing and that's waiting to see how things shake down. SDSU is looking out for number 1 since they can't count on the MWC to do the smart thing.

I really had hoped we'd have 2-3 years before the big reshuffling to improve our CV for the big boys, but sadly we still don't have our house in order 10 years too late.

SDSU fans must think they're cursed. Basketball has a great season derailed by the pandemic and then they could've been a crucial piece in keeping the PAC intact but those PAC snobs don't pull the trigger.

Time for me to vent.

Indicators (news stories with comments directly from decision makers) suggest that SDSU was pushing for MWC to dissolve so that it could reform into the PAC12. A majority of MWC institutions blocked this. We know friggin why.

But now our AD says the buyout, somewhere in the neighborhood of $35M may be too much to leave the conference on our own.

$35M. Thats the price tag to leave the conference and join OSU, WSU and potentially Stanford, Cal, SMU, SDSU and a handful of other like-minded ambitious teams that want to be the best and play with the best.

$35M is going to keep us out of the Power Conference discussions.

$35M. Big10, Big12 and SEC teams are going to make more than that in one year in media deals next year.

$35M.

If we can't pony up $35M, then indeed we are the small-time school we thought we were and there is no sugar coating this.

Mid-Major forever. And kiss any sustainable winning culture you thought we could cultivate goodbye. Thats not happening - ever.

I'm pissed. This is unacceptable. This is worse than losing because we aren't even willing to pay the price play the game.

Time for me to vent.

$35M is going to keep us out of the Power Conference discussions.

$35M. Big10, Big12 and SEC teams are going to make more than that in one year in media deals next year.

If we can't pony up $35M, then indeed we are the small-time school we thought we were and there is no sugar coating this.

I'm pissed. This is unacceptable. This is worse than losing because we aren't even willing to pay the price play the game.
$35m. Didnt we learn it's up front? SDSU asked for payment terms in their letter. I'd guess it would require a loan to get that money to leave. We don't need to pretend the SEC, Big 10, or ACC would have any interest. It would take 5 years of 100% of our tv payment to make the difference. Which means from TV income, it's impossible.

We weren't even a consistent in the pac 12 "second tier" of interest when they existed and were rumored to expand a few months ago.

We weren't even rumored with any validity to have interest from big 12.

Without a pac 12, there is nowhere for UNLV to land that is stable enough and would offer ANY more money than mwc gets now.

We ARE small time when considered against the schools that are moving out of the pac 12 and qhave landing spots. There isn't a debate for the other side.

I want UNLV to succeed as the much as the next guy. I worked in athletics for 5 years, went for undergrad, grew up going to games at SBS and the T&M in the 90s. We should all want it.

But what benefits do we bring today to any of those conferences?

Edit: fixed big 10 in the top of my comment

$35m. Didnt we learn it's up front? SDSU asked for payment terms in their letter. I'd guess it would require a loan to get that money to leave. We don't need to pretend the SEC, Big 10, or ACC would have any interest. It would take 5 years of 100% of our tv payment to make the difference. Which means from TV income, it's impossible.

We weren't even a consistent in the pac 12 "second tier" of interest when they existed and were rumored to expand a few months ago.

We weren't even rumored with any validity to have interest from big 12.

Without a pac 12, there is nowhere for UNLV to land that is stable enough and would offer ANY more money than mwc gets now.

We ARE small time when considered against the schools that are moving out of the pac 12 and qhave landing spots. There isn't a debate for the other side.

I want UNLV to succeed as the much as the next guy. I worked in athletics for 5 years, went for undergrad, grew up going to games at SBS and the T&M in the 90s. We should all want it.

But what benefits do we bring today to any of those conferences?

Edit: fixed big 10 in the top of my comment
We are Marshal (oh wait!)

@LocoRebel

I do not disagree with any of your points, and you can't argue any of the facts I lay out. We're small time and will always be small time. Part of this is caused by the lack of culture at UNLV and in Las Vegas, the other part is the lack of boldness to take a chance to be something better than we are today.

I'm pissed. Credit SDSU for at least trying.

A $ 35000000 bond is $2,000,520 a year to pay back. I would think if we could increase our tv contract from $ 4 mil to $ 10 mil that would be a no brainer.

@LocoRebel

I do not disagree with any of your points, and you can't argue any of the facts I lay out. We're small time and will always be small time. Part of this is caused by the lack of culture at UNLV and in Las Vegas, the other part is the lack of boldness to take a chance to be something better than we are today.

I'm pissed. Credit SDSU for at least trying.
100%. We aren't a university built into the foundation of our community. I dont know if I agree we will always be small time. From what it's doing outside of athletics, the growth hasn't been slow. But from athletics, specifically fb and mbb, it has been a nightmare.

The past 10 years in hoops have been our worst by a mile in terms of engagement and success. Maybe that ship is being righted?

Football, I think is going to be tremendous. I think 2 or 3 of those pac 12 schools that now go big 12, could be involved in a hunt to steal Odom in 2 or 3 seasons. I expect him to be really good here.

But too little too late? Probably for the time being.

SDSU is publicly doing whatever they can. I'm not convinced Whitfield and Harper are just going to TMNT at the Galaxy Theater inside Boulevard Mall for the next month with their phones off. It's just not as loud from those two.

A $ 35000000 bond is $2,000,520 a year to pay back. I would think if we could increase our tv contract from $ 4 mil to $ 10 mil that would be a no brainer.
We make about 6-7 now dont we? I'm not convinced $3m to have 4-6 games in Central time zone is worth it. But it might be 🤷‍♂️

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT