ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like the PAC implosion is beginning...

Why are you all talking about the $35m? Get 9 of the mwc to vote to void the exit fee and go to the pac 4 or something new, problem solved.
I dont think 9 schools would even consider it without hard invites on paper.

Sdsu is the only one I feel extremely confidently would vote to dissolve. Hawaii, sjsu, unr, usu, and wyoming would almost certainly vote not to dissolve since they'd likely be at risk. All others are 50/50 or 60/40 imo.

Why are you all talking about the $35m? Get 9 of the mwc to vote to void the exit fee and go to the pac 4 or something new, problem solved.
Realistically, the PAC-4 isn't going to want 9 MWC programs. If they're going to try to keep that afloat, they're going to add no more than 8 teams, and I think they'd want to shoot to add at least 2 of SMU, Tulane, or Memphis to get into those markets. So at most they're going to want to take 7 MWC teams, but 6 is a real possibility. You're not going to get 2-3 MWC programs to vote to dissolve and take less money to go to the WAC. So the 34 million is the cost of the ante to play in the game, and if you don't have it you can go to the $2 max table with the rest of the chumps.

Realistically, the PAC-4 isn't going to want 9 MWC programs. If they're going to try to keep that afloat, they're going to add no more than 8 teams, and I think they'd want to shoot to add at least 2 of SMU, Tulane, or Memphis to get into those markets. So at most they're going to want to take 7 MWC teams, but 6 is a real possibility. You're not going to get 2-3 MWC programs to vote to dissolve and take less money to go to the WAC. So the 34 million is the cost of the ante to play in the game, and if you don't have it you can go to the $2 max table with the rest of the chumps.
I just don't see how they have any choice but to take at least 9 MWC teams. Who in their right mind would pay out $34 million to join a conference stripped to the bones? Could all be moot since the ACC is looking to add Cal and Stanford as well as SMU. At this point I'd be happy marginally positive with a new PAC consisting of Wash st, Ore St, SDSU, Fresno, Boise, UNLV, New Mexico, CSU, AFA, San Jose, Utah St/UNR, SMU, Memphis, Tulane, UT-San Antonio, Tulsa.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I dont think 9 schools would even consider it without hard invites on paper.

Sdsu is the only one I feel extremely confidently would vote to dissolve. Hawaii, sjsu, unr, usu, and wyoming would almost certainly vote not to dissolve since they'd likely be at risk. All others are 50/50 or 60/40 imo.
Doesn't take 9 either.. Pull 5 members, then argue that a "new" MWC with leftovers plus whoever they scab together is not the conference they left and therefore not required to pay a fee.

365 sports had a reporter on the other day that said the most realistic may be the Pac 4 add smu and Tulane for next year and then 4 MWC teams for 2025. Didn’t know you can have a conference with 6 teams but it’s interesting.

The 4 teams were SD st, Boise, UNLV and Col. St

Doesn't take 9 either.. Pull 5 members, then argue that a "new" MWC with leftovers plus whoever they scab together is not the conference they left and therefore not required to pay a fee.
The exit clause is pretty iron-clad. Craig Thompson Magnum Opus after losing TCU, BYU, and Utah and getting very little back. If you leave with fewer than 2 years notices it's going to be 34 million as long as the conference still exists. SDSU tried to test that and basically had to come back next year no matter what. 2 years notice is 17 million, more doable for some but probably not for us.

I suppose if the schools that left wanted to pay for the legal battle it would probably end up being a lot less than that initially, but if the MWC still exists, I think they'll end up having to pay at the end of the day--and more so with the court costs of trying to exit a contract everyone entered into to keep something like this from happening.

It makes sense that the only thing Ol' Craig did that was a positive for the conference would end up hurting the schools in said conference the most.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I don't give a shit anymore.

We're rinky-dink. Line up Gorman, Rancho and Mojave. They probably have better attendance and more market share of Las Vegas.

Tv deals are bad in the new age era of free internet and streaming.

YouTube and apple are the way to go.

Reactions: TimothyC3
Who knows what will happen but UNLV has nobody to blame but themselves! Poor coaching hires in football prior to Odom and basketball now with Kevin still trying to learn how to coach on the court has the Rebels on the outside looking in because of no success on the field or court. Don’t even get me started on the UNLV administration/athletics side of things, they are all the equivalent of 3 blind mice!

Last edited:
They are going to need every bit of that $14 million to pay for travel costs. But, good for them if they pull it off. I would have to think there are MWC schools that are like an ugly wart if we aren't being pursued in a Merger.
If they can keep the "Pac 12" brand and P5 moniker and then get a new TV deal worked out between AACs tv contract and Whoever wants those 4, I can see some of the non-warts, drifting to that league as well, even at the cost of millions.. The Big if, is the "P5" or the if the new Powers that be consolidate into the P4 before anything like that can happen

Well, that may be that! We wouldn’t be the next team in that deal if they went to 10 teams on each side or 20 teams either! UNLV the Harvard of the freaking West!

Who knows what will happen but UNLV has nobody to blame but themselves! Poor coaching hires in football prior to Odom and basketball now with Kevin still trying to learn how to coach on the court has the Rebels on the outside looking in because of no success on the field or court. Don’t even get me started on the UNLV administration/athletics side of things, they are all the equivalent of 3 blind mice!
In all honesty, we don't know if the current coach in football was a quality hire or not. We hope so, but his record with us is neither better or worse than our previous coaches since there hasn't been a game played.

In all honesty, we don't know if the current coach in football was a quality hire or not. We hope so, but his record with us is neither better or worse than our previous coaches since there hasn't been a game played.
Regardless it’s too little too late for the Rebels! Get use to this year, Odom will be gone to P5 soon along with the OC and we will be getting ready to play football in the Big Sky against those powerhouse programs like Montana and Eastern Washington!

They are going to need every bit of that $14 million to pay for travel costs. But, good for them if they pull it off. I would have to think there are MWC schools that are like an ugly wart if we aren't being pursued in a Merger.
We are the ugly wart with a school president/athletic director who isn’t being pro active.

They should be on TV everyday instead of sitting on their asses.

Our media contract will be worth about $1 million per school. Our schools Presidents and Gloria really let us down. The MWC should have made a better deal. We are done.

We tried to be proactive way back in the 90's by expanding the WAC. Don't remember what happened to dissolve that but if we maintained the WAC 16 we could've brought in teams like Memphis and Boise St. if/when teams like Utah and TCU left.

I’m not sure pac would merge with aac or MW.

Think they take 4 aac schools for next year and add 4 MW the following.

Now how much do they value academics vs best potential sport programs may hurt.

Do they value Air Force over us?

My guess would be SMU, Tulane, Memphis and USF. MW San Diego st, Col. St, Boise and UNLv

My guess would be SMU, Tulane, Memphis and USF. MW San Diego st, Col. St, Boise and UNLv
Probably!

We're small time. Why yall gettin your hopes up.

Las Vegas residents (first and foremost) and UNLV's alumni (if they even care to be called that) don't give a shit about UNLV. And if this is the case, why would ANYONE ELSE care about UNLV.

If Im any ambitious conference, UNLV is the first hard no I give.

Saw something that the new league is interested in big cities. That would be good for our chances to get in.

Why MWC is not out there floating ideas and pointing out weakness of some of the AAC is beyond me. Loyalty to the mwc when all the parties are not loyal to it is beyond me. If they are allowed to take our top 3, MWC tv contract would be less than half of what it was.

We're small time. Why yall gettin your hopes up.

Las Vegas residents (first and foremost) and UNLV's alumni (if they even care to be called that) don't give a shit about UNLV. And if this is the case, why would ANYONE ELSE care about UNLV.

If Im any ambitious conference, UNLV is the first hard no I give.
That take is crazy. That is putting schools like unm, reno, san jose, and wyoming ahead of us. As much as unlv has screwed things up, they are more attractive than most of mwc.

That take is crazy. That is putting schools like unm, reno, san jose, and wyoming ahead of us. As much as unlv has screwed things up, they are more attractive than most of mwc.
Saul, I was replying to the message you were replying to.

There is only ONE play that the MWC and AAC can make to prevent the P4 from sucking both dry as they grow into super conferences. They need to merge. They need to have even more expensive buyouts than what the MWC currently has. Triple it! Leave behind every team that doesn't agree, making them broke, irrelevant and undesirable. This would force the P4 to fight amongst themselves while they try to prevail over one another. The Eastern and Western divisions of the new MWC/AAC conference can sit back and continue on as normal and unscathed. Without this safety net, UNLV and everyone else not in the P4's endgame are done in sports in under 10 years.

They're weeding out the weak. Unfortunately for us, we're in that category. Along with countless other storied programs. The MWC and the AAC need to get ahead of what's coming to prevent them from reaching their 4 super conference dominance and exclusivity. I can't think of any other direction. I don't care if this means the conference is 40 school's deep. I don't care what it costs in media revenue. It'll all be moot in under 10 years if we don't. IMO.

There is only ONE play that the MWC and AAC can make to prevent the P4 from sucking both dry as they grow into super conferences. They need to merge. They need to have even more expensive buyouts than what the MWC currently has. Triple it! Leave behind every team that doesn't agree, making them broke, irrelevant and undesirable. This would force the P4 to fight amongst themselves while they try to prevail over one another. The Eastern and Western divisions of the new MWC/AAC conference can sit back and continue on as normal and unscathed. Without this safety net, UNLV and everyone else not in the P4's endgame are done in sports in under 10 years.

They're weeding out the weak. Unfortunately for us, we're in that category. Along with countless other storied programs. The MWC and the AAC need to get ahead of what's coming to prevent them from reaching their 4 super conference dominance and exclusivity. I can't think of any other direction. I don't care if this means the conference is 40 school's deep. I don't care what it costs in media revenue. It'll all be moot in under 10 years if we don't. IMO.
yeah, that would be a mega conference.

Reactions: SilverSpoon
Dare to think the worst?
San Diego St., Boise St., Oregon St. and Washington St. join the Big 12? Although I would think the Big 12 is fine waiting for the ACC to get picked apart by the SEC and Big 10 and then take the best of what's left to make their own 20 team conference.

Reactions: Meister_Rebel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT