ADVERTISEMENT

Any news on transfers or recruits?

They better hurry. If they wait past May 1st they will have to sit a year if they transfer.
I think to be guaranteed a release you have to be in the portal by may 1st but a school and player can mutually agree to part ways and there is no waiting period with a release. Now there might not be many options left available.

Additionally, McCabe doesn’t count against the scholarship limit.
So this is what I had thought also. I don't rdoesn't. Who said this but they claimed they were told by UNLV that McCabes schollie does count against the limit because that rule only applied for seniors this past year. I have read a couple article on the covid rule and I can find several items about covid eligibility but nothing discussing the scholarship limit. So still not sure if it does or doesnt.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
So this is what I had thought also. I don't rdoesn't. Who said this but they claimed they were told by UNLV that McCabes schollie does count against the limit because that rule only applied for seniors this past year. I have read a couple article on the covid rule and I can find several items about covid eligibility but nothing discussing the scholarship limit. So still not sure if it does or doesnt.
I heard it doesn't but, as you point out, I could be wrong. Either way, recruiting still isn't done.

I've spent a couple of hours searching for definitive info on this and can't find enough to decide one way or the other. Only way will be to ask the team directly or perhaps tweet McCabe.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I've spent a couple of hours searching for definitive info on this and can't find enough to decide one way or the other. Only way will be to ask the team directly or perhaps tweet McCabe.
Grimala tweeted mccabes didn't count initially. Then he said he talked with unlv and that McCabe didn't count last year but it counts this year. So according to grimala we now have 1 available counting dwills and McCabe’s.

Reactions: WarthogRebel
3 DPOY in one class? L Rod (sEC), Harkless (B12) and Parquat (PAC12)
We may not break the 60 pts/game next year
It will be nice to have some solid defensive guards though. Most seasons, the opposing guards get by our guys, then take it into the lane and either get to the basket, get fouled, or dish it to the bigs for an easy bucket after our bigs are forced to defend the lane.

Other than Gilbert this past year, who have been some of our best defensive guards in recent years? Going back to 2010-2013, Anthony Marshall and Justin Hawkins were solid. Was Amauri Hardy any good defensively? I can't even remember now. Kris Clyburn? Pat McCaw was good in 15-16. BDJ was good back in 12-14. Other than that, most of our guards have left a little to be desired on the defensive end.

Assuming we get a big or two we’ll need at least one of our guards to improve his 3-pt percentage, especially with open looks.

We are going to get A LOT of defense ....hope you're ready. It will be ugly at the beginning. Then it will settled....still going to be ugly.
Look at the Celtics vs the Nets game minus Jason Tatum. Hope you're ready.

Not saying all these guys will improve but I really liked what the team did with Williams and Hamm last year. Neither was a shooter at Texas but both became more than ok last year. I don’t know if it was coaching or in Hamm’s opportunity but that was very solid improvement. From videos it seemed like BC was focusing on shooting with players (but could be totally off), it would be nice to see one of them have similar improvement next year.
Also, I think this is what makes Williams a possible NBA player at some point. Before last season no way, but if he can prove to shoot like he did and try on defense he has a chance to stick in the league at some point.

Reactions: RRebel
Not saying all these guys will improve but I really liked what the team did with Williams and Hamm last year. Neither was a shooter at Texas but both became more than ok last year. I don’t know if it was coaching or in Hamm’s opportunity but that was very solid improvement. From videos it seemed like BC was focusing on shooting with players (but could be totally off), it would be nice to see one of them have similar improvement next year.
Also, I think this is what makes Williams a possible NBA player at some point. Before last season no way, but if he can prove to shoot like he did and try on defense he has a chance to stick in the league at some point.
Donovan Williams did not have a good year this past season. His best moments were riding Bryce's coat tails. He injury did not allow him to show much of anything. That kid need to come back and work on his skills and show that he can stay healthy and consistencies.

• Wow
Reactions: Trax0r and mrodius
Donovan Williams did not have a good year this past season. His best moments were riding Bryce's coat tails. He injury did not allow him to show much of anything. That kid need to come back and work on his skills and show that he can stay healthy and consistencies.
Luis Rod may have supplanted him already, though. ? I dunno.

He played better than at Texas and better than I expected, shot decently on an okay volume (3per game). I don’t think he is ready and should for sure come back.

Btw, i saw you are in Sarasota on another thread. I grew up there around the bee ridge/McIntosh area.

He played better than at Texas and better than I expected, shot decently on an okay volume (3per game). I don’t think he is ready and should for sure come back.

Btw, i saw you are in Sarasota on another thread. I grew up there around the bee ridge/McIntosh area.
He’s just testing waters. He’s not going anywhere …

Yeah bro, we’re living in that area now. Pinecrest neighborhood

Not a bad front court - Muoka, VI, Cottrell, hopefully DW. One more big would be nice.
Sure hope the team sets records on defense bc we will likely struggle on offense, especially if DW doesn’t return.

D Will had to play out of position last year especially early in the season with Victor injured and Muoka looking like he had never played basketball before. We need one more big guy and we will be set. Udeze would be perfect because even though he’s a little shorter than Cottrell he plays more like a 5 than Cottrell does.

I’m liking the potential. Stingy guards on the outside and size and height down low could make for extreme difficulty for an opposing offense. Just hope/wish we had a dead-eye shooter.

Webster can shoot. He needs a larger role as we need scoring.
That will force one of the lockdown defenders to the bench but we do need buckets from someone. DW will need to be a consistent 15/game minimum. He’s capable of it but if the rest struggle, defenses will sit on him and force others to shoot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT