ADVERTISEMENT

Any news on transfers or recruits?

We still need some size guys now, at least one 6’8/6’9 PF and a C who can give some good minutes.. are we in on Cottrell WVU or are there other C’s in the mix?

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Harkless #52 on best tranfers list from stadium:
52) Elijah Harkless, 6-3, 195, G, Sr., Oklahoma
The Numbers:
10.0 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 32% 3-pointers (32-99)
The Scout: “Very tough on-ball defender. Plays with chip on his shoulder. Needs to work on his off-the-ball defense. Streaky scorer who can get it rolling. Has to do better job of taking care of the ball.”

So we have one new AC, Johnson, Parquet and Harkless but we lost Lindsay and 2 assistants… is this where we are now?

What’s the chances Diongue says UNLV on Thursday?

No clue what happens Thursday regarding Diongue. From what I could see Kruger do improving the players he had last season, it does appear UNLV will be at least 1-2 steps up to start from the beginning of last year. The loss of Lindsay was a big loss in regarding to scoring, but we will need to wait and see where everything plays out in the next few weeks.

Weird how Florida can figure out how to hire a new big time recruiting assistant with players attached (and quickly at that) while we take loads of time to hire an old stand by with no players and still one vacancy.
I'd imagine it must be hard for an established AC to want to work for a 2nd head head coach.

I'd imagine it must be hard for an established AC to want to work for a 2nd head head coach.
I don't think we'll see any P5 assistants top Mid Major drop down. But, IMO there are at least 75 quality assistant coaches at programs slightly below ours that would give their left gonad to come here. I'm talking about young coaches with their own connections who would see us as a leg up in their career. Take the seven conferences rated just below the MWC and that is @ 75 schools. At least one of their assistants from each program would come here. Each one of those programs has 3 or 4 players that would fit well into our scheme. These coaches are the ones who recruited them. And I'd rather have one of them because they would have something to prove rather than a P5 assistant that would feel he is better than us.

I think the problem is sifting through all the assistants and choosing the one that would give us the most. Hard to do that and recruit at the same time.

Reactions: Runnin-J
Very short term approach hiring assistants for one player…especially for a young head coach. Hartman was not hired at Florida for Lindsay he has a worked with Golden previously. Assistants at lower programs don’t have 3-4 players in their pocket that could fit in at MWC level. There may be some but not 75. I think Cooper is a nice choice for the staff.

I am personally glad to see Buckley off staff and was disappointed he was retained last year. I know nothing about the guy except what you see on the court and in the practice clips and he just didn’t seem engaged with the players last year or under Otz. His big claims were a good year at Ball State as head coach but really just sustained what McCallum had done and then it dropped bad for what had been a consistent winning school and his time under Crean at Marquette and Indiana with IU not being very successful.

kinda of strange that it is mid-April and we still probably don’t now 40% of the team for next year.

With us adding 3 guards and a wing, are we going lose some of our current players that may figure less time with the newcomers? Reese Brown and Baker, possibly Mccabe come to mind

Reactions: Rebel Hoya
Udeze? I know you will clue us in when it’s right but I can’t help but think about him being our most recent visit completed.

I haven't seen any post for Udeze, so do not know if that is good or bad. It does appear that UNLV is still looking at a hand full of mid high level players that would likely be an upgrade to the program from last year. Since Kruger was able to do a good job coaching up mid level recruits last season, I have a positive feeling regarding the level of recruits he is bringing in for next season. I will admit it is strange to not see high school recruits, but that may be the new norm for all but the blue chip schools!

By the way, number 1 transfer in the country, Davis from smu, announces today. We are not even in his top 5 with the Smu assistant coming here. Seems you would hire assistants with some players in their pocket. Oh well, at least recruiting looks better than 2 weeks ago.

By the way, number 1 transfer in the country, Davis from smu, announces today. We are not even in his top 5 with the Smu assistant coming here. Seems you would hire assistants with some players in their pocket. Oh well, at least recruiting looks better than 2 weeks ago.
Yeah, that would be pretty sweet huh? Would change the whole dynamic of the team really quickly. Either way, this past week has been huge after some other swing and miss players.

Well, Memphis is facing recruiting violations.
But, if we could get back to those "outlaw" Tark days, it might be worth the try.

What violations could possibly even exist anymore. You can give millions to players through NIL, and they are going to try and find a rule that Memphis broke? I expect they will line up the lawyers and go after the NCAA and win!

We need to renew the series against Memphis.

I would love to visit Beale Street, Graceland..:

At the same time, I would also like to avoid the street violence that plagues the city as well.

I watched this gem recently. Two athletic teams going back and forth.

We need to renew the series against Memphis.

I would love to visit Beale Street, Graceland..:

At the same time, I would also like to avoid the street violence that plagues the city as well.

I watched this gem recently. Two athletic teams going back and forth.
Remember that game. They had some burly guys battling Armen Gilliam down low. Sylvester Gray and some other big stocky dude.

Remember that game. They had some burly guys battling Armen Gilliam down low. Sylvester Gray and some other big stocky dude.
Vincent Askew. They had some dudes that matched up well against our bugs.

I am originally from the Memphis area. We moved here to Las Vegas in the summer of 1985 and my family were huge Memphis fans. We were also huge wrestling fans as Jerry Lawlor used to wrestle at the mid south coliseum. He was an amazing bad guy or “heel”

I remember Memphis going to the final Four in 1984, if I remember correctly. Keith Lee, Andre Turner and William Bedford led by a young coach named Dana Kirk. Our first game that we attended was Memphis vs UNLV at the Mack and we sat at the top upper level. I don’t remember which year it was but UNLV beat Memphis by a couple of points…1985 or 1986

After that, we became UNLV fans.

Memphis has been fighting the NCAA for years. I hope they punch back and fight the allegations.

That was the year they introduced the 3 point shot, and Tark took full advantage with Gerald Paddio and Freddy Banks.😎

Nice! For those that don't want to click the link:

7. UNLV​

10913233.jpg
(Photo: Sarah Phipps/The Oklahoman, USA TODAY Sports)
UNLV's backcourt is going to have a very different feel next year. Late-night Mountain West enthusiasts fell in love with Bryce Hamilton who was a certified bucket. But with Hamilton off to the NBA Draft, Kevin Kruger and the UNLV coaching staff had to get to work. They've done just that. UNLV has landed four really nice guards: Elijah Parquet (Colorado), Elijah Harkless (Oklahoma), Luis Rodriguez (Ole Miss) and Jackie Johnson (Duquesne). UNLV could be really nasty defensively next year. Both Parquet and Harkless are vicious, versatile on-ball defenders who will be major difference makers.

1. Baker
2. Brown
3. Gilbert
4. Iwuakor
5. McCabe
6. Muoka
7. Webster
8. Williams
9. Johnson
10. Rodriguez
11. Parquet
12. Harkness