ADVERTISEMENT

Any news on transfers or recruits?

Ethan Anderson from USC is in the portal… I would love to see him at the point for us!

Besides Coleman, has any other UNLV player enetered the portal?

All pretty important players for their team.

Funny thing is, 20 years ago it’d make you say “what’s wrong with the coach/program?”. Not anymore.
More like what's wrong with the players. Born in an environment of instant gratification and if they don't get it they move on. No loyalty, patience, or intestinal fortitude. Hamilton coming back is as rare as a person without a tattoo these days.

Reactions: mrodius
More like what's wrong with the players. Born in an environment of instant gratification and if they don't get it they move on. No loyalty, patience, or intestinal fortitude. Hamilton coming back is as rare as a person without a tattoo these days.
Well, yeah, participation trophies, you’re the bomb, I’ve seen your YouTube mix tapes, man, this coach is an ahole, you’ll get more time at school B…. I mean, we can blame the players but we created the environment and let kids slip from grateful hard working to entitled snobs. It’s not across the board but it’s a strong generality. Coddling and excuse making, teaching how to play the victim… has impacted society greatly.

I can tell you some stories that’d make your head spin.

It’s a tough situation. Coaches used to have all the power. You signed, you were stuck, you’re in the doghouse, you ain’t playing. In the end, I think that teaches lifelong lessons in perseverance, it’s critical. But coaches certainly could screw over a kid, make a promise to him and then recruit over him and they didn’t sign up for that, they believed the promise.

Now players have most of the power.

Well, yeah, participation trophies, you’re the bomb, I’ve seen your YouTube mix tapes, man, this coach is an ahole, you’ll get more time at school B…. I mean, we can blame the players but we created the environment and let kids slip from grateful hard working to entitled snobs. It’s not across the board but it’s a strong generality. Coddling and excuse making, teaching how to play the victim… has impacted society greatly.

I can tell you some stories that’d make your head spin.

It’s a tough situation. Coaches used to have all the power. You signed, you were stuck, you’re in the doghouse, you ain’t playing. In the end, I think that teaches lifelong lessons in perseverance, it’s critical. But coaches certainly could screw over a kid, make a promise to him and then recruit over him and they didn’t sign up for that, they believed the promise.

Now players have most of the power.
Alford is an asshole

Reactions: Trax0r
I like CKK’s approach of post-season interviews with each player, what went right, what went wrong, where the staff could do better with each player, etc. if a player wants to leave that supportive, player development environment it’s usually a player issue and probably for the best for the team. Also like his focus on transfers sprinkled with deserving HS players. More reasons I’m impressed with CKK and believe he will return this this program to prominence… assuming our fan base/boosters have the patience.

There are basically two types of transfer players.
One the guy who didn't get a chance at his former school. Needs a break.
Two, the self-centered, spoiled modern athlete. Uses schools.

Type one is a guy who transfers into your school.
Type two transfers away from your school.

Max Agbongpolo from USC is in the transfer portal. He would have been USC number 1 wing player with Peterson graduating. As a proven p5 guy, I think he could do well here.

As a guy who grew up on 80s college basketball I'm really hating what it's turned into. There's nothing to get emotionally invested in when players come and go like the wind. You're just never going to see a young, talented group of individuals grow into a seasoned, formidable team ever again. Even the lower tier teams can't hang on to their players. This blows. I haven't watched a single ncaa tournament game. I may just start watching the Lady Rebels since their players aren't jumping ship every chance they get.

As a guy who grew up on 80s college basketball I'm really hating what it's turned into. There's nothing to get emotionally invested in when players come and go like the wind. You're just never going to see a young, talented group of individuals grow into a seasoned, formidable team ever again. Even the lower tier teams can't hang on to their players. This blows. I haven't watched a single ncaa tournament game. I may just start watching the Lady Rebels since their players aren't jumping ship every chance they get.
It’s absolutely awful and it lost any strong attachment to a team. I think back to we would graduate multiple seniors, you got to know them, they went through the system together. There was a personality, a familiarity.

Now you are still staring at the roster in February.

I could tell you a never starter like Gary Graham was from Dunbar in Baltimore and played for a loaded team under Bob Wade. At UNLV, Graham wore #32 for the Rebs.

I can’t tell you anything about a starter and leading scorer like Jojo Mooring.

Reactions: JTthe2nd and Trax0r
This is a long story. Back in cave man days, even pros stuck with their teams. 20-year baseball players, 15-year NFL and NBA guys were common. Whole careers with one team.
Until the 70's college freshmen didn't even play varsity. Then 3 years.

Now, at all levels, high school, college, and pro, it is a " rent-a-player" world. We even had middle school players recruited and moved.
But, coaches and managers lasted longer, too.

With fans demanding instant success, salaries skyrocketing, competition for dollars by teams the way of sports, don't look for it to change.
And be ready to pay. Those $200,000,000 contracts gotta be paid.

Reactions: JTthe2nd
Donovan Williams is declaring for the draft. Dang! I thought he would be the focal player next year.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Hopefully to get feedback and return like Bryce did. He is prime for a big breakout season next year...setting himself up for a proper launch into the professional ranks. If he leaves now he's got a tall mountain to climb and may get buried in the G league.

It’s absolutely awful and it lost any strong attachment to a team. I think back to we would graduate multiple seniors, you got to know them, they went through the system together. There was a personality, a familiarity.

Now you are still staring at the roster in February.

I could tell you a never starter like Gary Graham was from Dunbar in Baltimore and played for a loaded team under Bob Wade. At UNLV, Graham wore #32 for the Rebs.

I can’t tell you anything about a starter and leading scorer like Jojo Mooring.
Yeah! I can't keep track of the rosters now. I can still pretty much recite the rosters for unlv from 1985 to 1997. I remember the players we played against like Brian Shaw, Cedric Ceballos, Ricky Barry(committed suicide), Johnny Rodgers, Scott Brooks, and Randy Brown because the game meant so much more to me then. Now it's just a blur of faces, here today gone tomorrow. I know I'm sounding like a grumpy old fart but college basketball(and most team sports in general) really was better back in the day.

Yeah! I can't keep track of the rosters now. I can still pretty much recite the rosters for unlv from 1985 to 1997. I remember the players we played against like Brian Shaw, Cedric Ceballos, Ricky Barry(committed suicide), Johnny Rodgers, Scott Brooks, and Randy Brown because the game meant so much more to me then. Now it's just a blur of faces, here today gone tomorrow. I know I'm sounding like a grumpy old fart but college basketball(and most team sports in general) really was better back in the day.
That’s what’s really funny, yes, you could name the opposition as well. But interest was so damn high back then, couldn’t get enough and the coverage was limited on top of it, two local papers. So you were always hungry, media guides and game programs were like the Bible.

For me, that did extend a bit into the early 2000’s … I could do the better teams in conference, UNM, BYU, Utah, even Wyoming and CSU to a large degree … not SDSU so much because they hadn’t broken through just yet, but still, can name key players from them and even Air Force.

but even then, it was a drop on the bucket from the decade prior. And now, no. Not close.

I’d be surprised if it’s anything more than testing the waters which he should do. Kid needs to follow Bryce’s lead and kill it next season in college (hopefully with UNLV).
It doesn't make much sense otherwise. There is nearly zero chance he gets drafted. If Bryce is borderline, Williams not even in line at customs.

But it is a chance to get some good feedback, which definitely helped Bryce develop.

Reactions: Trax0r and JTthe2nd
Williams is key to next year’s team as a creator type off the dribble. If we lose him we would be in a deep hole offensively. Kruger would have to perform a miracle in hs recruiting and the transfer portal to rebuild this team!

Reactions: mrodius
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT