ADVERTISEMENT

WSU & OSU to join WCC in non-football sports

IMO, this may be an indication of them trying to get relationships in place to rebuild the PAC conference. They've got a football relationship with the MWC, whose media deal ends in 2 years, and now they'll start working with the WCC also, which has some good non-football schools.

Hope to pick out Gonzaga and a couple others maybe from the WCC along with a select group from the MWC to form this new PAC conference in 2 years.

Saw that, WTF? Can we go a day without another stupid move?
So this isn't good news from Coug country? I mean, I know that there's been a lot of bad news, but in terms of the next 2 years, IMO, it is probably easier for travel, and as I said in my previous post, maybe opens up the door for communication with some of these schools that they may intend to vet for future inclusion in a rebuilt PAC conference.

It’s a great move because trying to fill a full bball schedule without a conference would be impossible. Same with all Olympic sports. Conferences make travel, costs, and post season much more manageable.

The fact it’s only 2 years is very telling.

I think this is a win for the MWC. This move means we played hardball with the Pac2 remnants and wanted them to join with full membership and they didn't want to join then split up the $$ so we said sure, you can play football with us for 2 years, but you either join or lose your best bet for football relevance. There's no value in basketball for TV, it's all about football and MWC is the better of the remaining G5s to join to try and continue the P5 conversation... the WCC offers them nothing but a place to park their other sports

So this isn't good news from Coug country? I mean, I know that there's been a lot of bad news, but in terms of the next 2 years, IMO, it is probably easier for travel, and as I said in my previous post, maybe opens up the door for communication with some of these schools that they may intend to vet for future inclusion in a rebuilt PAC conference.
No. we need a football playing conference (aka you guys). No Hawaii crap. All or nothing. This. if true, is yet another F-up by our F-ed up conference.

• Sad
Reactions: LVRebel2000
The baseball teams are still in limbo. Once OSU and WSU lose some P5 players (since the players think they are better than non P5 leagues), those teams are going to take a major hit (no pun intended).

Why would we add them to our conference now? Are they hoping to join the Big West in that sport?

Sound like the WCC is allowing the Wazzu and OSU teams compete for conference championship if they are qualfied. The MWC is limiting them to just play regular season's games.

No. we need a football playing conference (aka you guys). No Hawaii crap. All or nothing. This. if true, is yet another F-up by our F-ed up conference.
The PAC 2 are buying time, setting things ups for the '25-26 season.
Doing a full merger right now does not make a ton of sense. Also it buys more time to allow a Cherry pick new PAC situation, if you all choose to do so.
This WCC relationship could entice some non football schools to help fill out that new PAC if they decide to go to a 8-10 total schools with a media market/football focus.
I think it is a good move.

Reactions: reagan21 and ckfitz
The PAC 2 are buying time, setting things ups for the '25-26 season.
Doing a full merger right now does not make a ton of sense. Also it buys more time to allow a Cherry pick new PAC situation, if you all choose to do so.
This WCC relationship could entice some non football schools to help fill out that new PAC if they decide to go to a 8-10 total schools with a media market/football focus.
I think it is a good move.
That was my thoughts also, pretty much exactly. They're buying time to figure out what they want to do, and which options will be the best long term.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I think this is a win for the MWC. This move means we played hardball with the Pac2 remnants and wanted them to join with full membership and they didn't want to join then split up the $$ so we said sure, you can play football with us for 2 years, but you either join or lose your best bet for football relevance. There's no value in basketball for TV, it's all about football and MWC is the better of the remaining G5s to join to try and continue the P5 conversation... the WCC offers them nothing but a place to park their other sports
Responding to a couple of posts here.

What could/should we have done? Make a full court press to do the reverse merger with you guys. All of you. All sports. Next year. At some point, the Mnt West is just going to give us the finger and we'll have to go beg the Big Sky to take us. You all threw us a lifeline and we now treat you like a red-headed stepchild. (No offense reds, I like red-headed girls - ahem - women)

Your comment (above) about splitting up the money - what do you mean? I believe that we are paying the MW for the FB arrangement, out of this unknown PAC $ that we and OSU will supposedly get. We are expected to buy our way into a merger? Thank Gawd the judge in our case against the traitors was heard in our county and is a Coug. And the AG that wanted a review by our Supreme Court is a mutt.

And never been to any of them, but I've seen a few of those HS-sized gyms on TV that some of those WCC teams play in. Ours holds 11,000. Volleyball plays in our old gym that seats around 3,000.

I think this is the most idiotic move WSU and OSU could make. The WCC? That will really enhance our pathetic hopes that the Big 12 will take us. They aren't. WCC isn't even G5. WTF are they? G=nothing? Our President is an idiot, our AD is an idiot, and rumor has it that he contributed to our highly successful, lifetime Washington State and Coug volleyball coach bailing to toothless West Virgina because they didn't get along.

Next we have the looming budget cut issue. Having no idea how much we will get out of the PAC because apparently we have no one at the PAC offices that can wield a calculator. My board patrons think we will cut Head Coaches salaries. What? And how the F does almost the whole Mtn West operate profitable programs with pretty near all of you having less revenue than us? Our mountain of debt from our stadium remodel and Football-only building doesn't help I guess.

I'm a little snarly this morning. I'm sure none of you can tell.

Oh one last comment. The whole P5 vs G5 thing just slays me. Yes, the P5 gets a bigger slice of playoff money, and I believe a bigger portion of NCAA distributions. BS. Our latest fantasy, now that FSU and others are rumored to be leaving the ACC (to go where?) i to form some coast to coast league with them. I guess dragging a few of you with us. F-that. FSU has a right to be pissed about being shunned by the playoff committee in favor of 2 one loss teams. Why is that the ACC's fault? Clemson has never gotten shunned. Oh but let's jump to the SEC or BIG and be 3rd or 4th fiddle to Alabama, Michigan, etc.

Last edited:
"Your comment about splitting up the money - what do you mean? I believe that we are paying the MW for the FB arrangement, out of this unknown PAC $ that we and OSU will supposedly get. We are expected to buy our way into a merger? Thank Gawd the judge in our case against the traitors was heard in our county and is a Coug. And the AG that wanted a review by our Supreme Court is a mutt."

So my understanding is there is some money coming for football, but the real reason behind the court case isnt merely control of the "Pac 12" brand, but the millions of dollars being paid out to teams leaving as pat of the distribution of funds and if there is a payment penalty that each team leaving? Paying us a few million for some games over the next few years is pennies compared to the funds that your remaining 2 institutions may be sitting on as a conference and Gloria knows it. My main point is that football is the driving force for any realignment, you need us and Gloria knows that and depending on how the financials shake out, theres probably a reason why your other sports arent competing in MWC.

The baseball teams are still in limbo. Once OSU and WSU lose some P5 players (since the players think they are better than non P5 leagues), those teams are going to take a major hit (no pun intended).

Why would we add them to our conference now? Are they hoping to join the Big West in that sport?
WCC baseball is REALLY good !

"Your comment about splitting up the money - what do you mean? I believe that we are paying the MW for the FB arrangement, out of this unknown PAC $ that we and OSU will supposedly get. We are expected to buy our way into a merger? Thank Gawd the judge in our case against the traitors was heard in our county and is a Coug. And the AG that wanted a review by our Supreme Court is a mutt."

So my understanding is there is some money coming for football, but the real reason behind the court case isnt merely control of the "Pac 12" brand, but the millions of dollars being paid out to teams leaving as pat of the distribution of funds and if there is a payment penalty that each team leaving? Paying us a few million for some games over the next few years is pennies compared to the funds that your remaining 2 institutions may be sitting on as a conference and Gloria knows it. My main point is that football is the driving force for any realignment, you need us and Gloria knows that and depending on how the financials shake out, theres probably a reason why your other sports arent competing in MWC.
I don't believe there is any payment penalty involved for the traitorous 10. But yeah it is about control of current year NCAA, TV, etc distributions and future BB distributions that are doled out over 6 years. Come August, future PAC distributions are ours and OSU's.

Sentiment seems to be we cut a deal to give those bastards some sort of settlement. My attitude is F-you, you get nothing.

Wish I could be a fly on the wall in Gloria's office. Gawd it is so simple. Do the reverse merger, assuring that we and OSU get the various revenues, mostly BB tournament related. Get off of this P4/5 fixation. Fire our asshole and most or all of the PAC staff, make Gloria Commissioner and off we all go.

Oh but no, let's go join the WCC for our low or non-revenue sports for 2 years. Put the MW on hold for 2 years.

And I have no problem with paying the MW some sheckles for the FB arrangement, Good for all of us. But any other scenario besides a full merger is stupid and insane. F-ing stupid AD's and PhD presidents. My Dad (RIP) had a saying. BS degree is BS, MS, more of the same. PhD? Piled higher and deeper. And he was an MD.

Doesn't sound like they are fully committed to the mountain west
No shit. Let's invite some homely girl (no offense intended) to the prom but be squirreling around looking for a better option. That is what we are doing.

Or, you take the opportunity that is out there with a nice fairly cute gal (the Mnt West) and go forward.
I gotta post about my ill-fated trip to go see my Cougs play CSU in our first game this year.. Or have I already? Goddam dementia.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT